Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Agrees To Go To Denver [Mega-Merge]

ColtsBlueFL

I see. I said it earlier; Not coming here was the best decision Elway ever made. What Eli did was considerably worse considering the state of the SD franchise. Comparing the state of the SD franchise during Eli's draft and the state of the Colts franchise during Elway's draft, lol...........the Colts were Bush league junk. Treacherous and dysfunctional. I simply don't get how anyone could blame him for spitting on Bob Irsay and his defunct organization.

Besides, that fateful decision likely led us to Manning, as another poster mentioned earlier. But I get it, some players just get stuck in yer crawl. Myself......I HATE Tebow and I can't even put my finger on the 'why' of my hate for him.

My dad loves Tebow. I never could stand the kid. I grew to kinda like him since he beat Pittsburgh though.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see. I said it earlier; Not coming here was the best decision Elway ever made. What Eli did was considerably worse considering the state of the SD franchise. Comparing the state of the SD franchise during Eli's draft and the state of the Colts franchise during Elway's draft, lol...........the Colts were Bush league junk. Treacherous and dysfunctional. I simply don't get how anyone could blame him for spitting on Bob Irsay and his defunct organization.

Besides, that fateful decision likely led us to Manning, as another poster mentioned earlier. But I get it, some players just get stuck in yer crawl. Myself......I HATE Tebow and I can't even put my finger on the 'why' of my hate for him.

haha I like Tebow as a person. I think he is a great guy and would be really fun to be around. He is a hard worker and a good leader. However, his accuracy and throwing motion leave A LOT to be desired. I wouldn't want him as my franchise QB, but he would be excellent as a PR guy....

Also, nice sig!

I don't get this? The Colts were a horrid franchise back then, not just a team, I mean the franchise, the FO. Elway made a smart move not coming here. He became a legend in Denver and yet people have this blind hate for him. I hate this gang mentality. Not smart.

How would you feel if Peyton had done the same thing to the Colts? Both teams were pathetic. Isn't the idea of drafting #1 supposed to help the downtrodden improve? Was the "Franchise" in great shape prior to Peyton? I'm not so sure the Colts would still be in Indy if Peyton would have pulled an 'Elway'.

How would you feel if Peyton had done the same thing to the Colts? Both teams were pathetic. Isn't the idea of drafting #1 supposed to help the downtrodden improve? Was the "Franchise" in great shape prior to Peyton? I'm not so sure the Colts would still be in Indy if Peyton would have pulled an 'Elway'.

We had at least 3 potential (some locks) HoF players already on the roster, an acclaimed multiple 'GM of the year' award winning GM on staff and a healthy environment in 1998.

Elway said no to a Colts team mired in horrid mediocrity that was about to move from their home city.

How would I feel if Peyton had done that.......I'd think he >>>ed up. Admittedly I'd have been upset. But I can't think I'd harbor that resentment.

With the Broncos I know they wanted to upgrade from Tebow but it's like Elway would do ANYTHING to get rid of him and it had to be a bigger name so the fans could understand the reasoning in the end.

Not a bigger name, a better quarterback. If you were him, and you didn't like your franchise quarterback (because he's awful as a passer) but your fanbase did (because he's a celebrity), wouldn't you have done the same thing?

How would you feel if Peyton had done the same thing to the Colts? Both teams were pathetic.

Big difference, when Elway was drafted the Colts were owned by Bob Irsay who didn't care about putting a winning team on the field, he just cared about the celebrity of being an NFL owner. When Manning was drafted the team was owned by Jim Irsay who loves the celebrity of being an NFL owner but realized that to become a bigger celebrity you have to put a winning team on the field. The franchise change dramatically after Jim Irsay became the owner.
Isn't the idea of drafting #1 supposed to help the downtrodden improve?
No. It's to give the worst teams a chance to pick players first. There is nothing that says a player has to play. Elway had a legitimate career in baseball if he didn't play football, why should he have played for an owner that did not care about winning? Bo Jackson decided to play baseball rather than play for the Bucs then the following year he was drafted by the Raiders in the 7th round.
Was the "Franchise" in great shape prior to Peyton? I'm not so sure the Colts would still be in Indy if Peyton would have pulled an 'Elway'.

People say that but there is no proof that Irsay every considered a move to LA.

I'm curious. Do some of you think Elway refusing to play for us is the reason we sucked in the 80's and early 90's? If he came to the Colts we would have been something? Don't forget Elway didn't do anything until TD came along.

He led the Broncos to three SBs before TD.

He only scored 10 points in each of his first three. He needed TD to push him over the top. Without TD he never would have gotten a Super Bowl.

Really? You are going to try to claim that his three SB appearances before TD don't count as anything?

TD definitely helped, so did Shannahan, a stiff defense and a better oline. Elway was still considered one of the best QBs in the NFL before Davis.

Another misconception is the weather in Denver being super cold/horrible. The weather isn't as bad as many seem to think.

2009-2010-2011
Month Games Avg Temp
Sept 5 80.4
OCT 6 54.8
NOV 6 50.8
DEC 4 55.0
JAN 4 38.3
25 56.4

9/20/2009 Reg CLE 82
10/4/2009 Reg DAL 55
10/11/2009 Reg NE 30
11/9/2009 Reg PIT 55
11/22/2009 Reg SD 51
11/26/2009 Reg NYG 57
12/20/2009 Reg OAK 57
1/3/2010 Reg KC 36

9/19/2010 Reg SEA 91
9/26/2010 Reg IND 85
10/17/2010 Reg NYJ 73
10/24/2010 Reg OAK 63
11/14/2010 Reg KC 43
11/28/2010 Reg STL 45
12/26/2010 Reg HOU 50
1/2/2011 Reg SD 42

9/12/2011 Reg OAK 75
9/18/2011 Reg CIN 69
10/9/2011 Reg SD 52
10/30/2011 Reg DET 56
11/17/2012 Reg NYJ 54
12/11/2011 Reg CHI 50
12/18/2011 Reg NE 63
1/1/2012 Reg KC 35
1/8/2012 PS Pitt 40

1 game below freezing in 3 years.. Of course that doesn't mean that the next 5 years they won't have 15 games where it is freezing.

Nice work.

Really? You are going to try to claim that his three SB appearances before TD don't count as anything?

TD definitely helped, so did Shannahan, a stiff defense and a better oline. Elway was still considered one of the best QBs in the NFL before Davis.

If he stayed with the Colts he wouldn't have been. My point is Colts fans shouldn't patronize him because he wouldn't have went to those five Super Bowls with us if that is what they think.

I'm curious. Do some of you think Elway refusing to play for us is the reason we sucked in the 80's and early 90's? If he came to the Colts we would have been something? Don't forget Elway didn't do anything until TD came along.

He led the Broncos to three SBs before TD.

Elway before 1997, 14 seasons, 205 games:

126 wins, 45,034 yards, 251 touchdowns, three Super Bowl appearances, 38 comeback wins.

Yeah, he didn't do anything before Terrell Davis came along.

If he stayed with the Colts he wouldn't have been. My point is Colts fans shouldn't patronize him because he wouldn't have went to those five Super Bowls with us if that is what they think.

Exactly, that was the reason it was a good decision for him. If it had been Jim Irsay instead of Bob running the organization then it would have been possible for Elway to lead the Colts to 5 SBs in that time frame.

tumblr_l6x904FnFz1qzbhtvo1_400.jpg

Elway will play vicariously through his new pet.

I got this feeling, this notion, that something big is in store for the Broncos by the time Manning is retired. Their fans will weep as we did 13 days ago, when Manning retires.

Give this "classy" stuff a rest. Peyton Manning is not especially "classy", certainly not more so than any other QB in the NFL.

Well....that's wrong.

He called the teams he worked out for personally to inform them of his decision. Many players would not have done that.

He didn't throw Irsay in the fire despite easily being able to do so to the guy that was firing him.

I suppose I could go on and on. He's a classy guy. Micheal Vick....meh, not so much.

Posted · Hidden by Peytongirl, March 20, 2012 - deleting
Hidden by Peytongirl, March 20, 2012 - deleting
Well....that's wrong. He called the teams he worked out for personally to inform them of his decision. Many players would not have done that. He didn't throw Irsay in the fire despite easily being able to do so to the guy that was firing him. I suppose I could go on and on. He's a classy guy. Micheal Vick....meh, not so much.

Is Manning as "classy" as Brian Downing?

Just because you idolize the guy, does not mean he is "classy". Brian Downing will forever be known as a crude individual because he's a nobody. Manning did his * while he was sober, at least Downing can claim he was drunk.

Is Manning as "classy" as Brian Downing?

Just because you idolize the guy, does not mean he is "classy". Brian Downing will forever be known as a crude individual because he's a nobody. Manning did his * while he was sober, at least Downing can claim he was drunk.

I can tell you are the confrontational type. I will bid you a good day, sir.

Parting thought; Who the @#$% is Brian Downing?

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, March 20, 2012 - skirting profanity filter
Hidden by Nadine, March 20, 2012 - skirting profanity filter
I can tell you are the confrontational type. I will bid you a good day, sir. Parting thought; Who the @#$% is Brian Downing?

I guess te*b*gging is verboten on this message board. The post that you quote has been removed.

Brian Downing was arrested for a similar act that Manning performed while in college. A rival fan passed out and he denigrated him.