Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chase Claypool WR write up

Chase Claypool 6'4 229 Notre Dame

2019 stats 66 Receptions 1,037 yards 13 TD's

Games watched: ND VS louisville, ND VS Georgia, ND VS Virginia Tech, ND VS Navy, ND VS Iowa State and then his 1V1 at the senior bowl practices.

Strengths

A big bodied athletic WR. Can make some spectacular highlight catches. He is a very high motor guy and puts in a lot of effort. I absolutely love that he gives his all in every single play and doesn't give up. Finds way to create separation against zone. Has a good long stride and even though he isn't quick off the line he can build up speed running down the field with his long strides. Has the body and frame to box people out. Also has a great catch radius. He also has great body control and makes that tip toe pass that will make you ooo and ahhh

Weakness

Drops, drops, drops and some more drops. I am not even talking about contested balls dropped, which he has a ton of, I am talking Colby Fleeneresqu type drops. Ball will hit him dead in the hands with no one around and he can't catch it. Granted a lot of the short throws he drops its from a high velocity ball, however he juggles way to many of his completions. He is very stiff in his upper body and lower body (seriously this man needs to learn some yoga). Speed is going to be a big problem for him still, even though he has the ability to stride out a decent DB will be able to run his route faster than him. His route running is very sub par and doesn't run the sharpest routes. He has this habit of choppy feet which works good when you have quickness, he would be miles better if he would just plant his foot and go because I can tell you DB's aren't getting fooled with it. For his size I really expected some physicality and nastiness to his game, well guess again. It honestly shocked me how easily a press man corner can take him out and push him out to the boundary.  A lot of teams didn't try and I assume it's because he has some freakish size but Georgia pressed him and Claypool should have handled it easily and ran right through him and not have been pushed around.

Overall

A lot of people see him as a prospect ton convert to TE but I don't know if I see that. If he was more physical at the point of attack and a more willing blocker then maybe. However my issue still lies in the fact he has some really really bad drops. I will give him the fact that he had some abysmal QB play. When he is in the zone man can he make some plays though and put up some really good stats, heck he had one game where he put up 4td's which is an incredible feat. If he could consistently catch the ball then I would be all in on him as a bully slot with some traditional X play. However as he sits now I wouldn't take him until very late with the plans to put him on the practice squad and set him up to live eat and breath on the jugs machine. I believe I am out on him however.

• Like 3

I've watched every single ND game, and I did not see near the drop problem you cite.

I have not seen one review either that flags a drop problem.

The only slight issues I saw were on big-slot type of plays that were short proximity to the QB. I'm not sure if that's an issue with not having "catch ready" hands on short shots, or simply the fact the Ian Book lacks touch often on short quick tosses.

Anything not quick/short, and he was a beast.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I've watched every single ND game, and I did not see near the drop problem you cite.

The only slight issues I saw were on big-slot type of plays that were short proximity to the QB. I'm not sure if that's an issue with not having "catch ready" hands on short shots, or simply the fact the Ian Book lacks touch often on short quick tosses.

I would recommend watching the same games I did, he bobbles the ball a ton on catches he does make as well

42 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I absolutely agree. Everything I’ve watched from him, he has a few times where he will drop in traffic, but the majority of the time he has strong hands and I would actually put his concentration catches as a positive. From what I’ve read from profiles as well they all say the same. He’ll drop a few, but everyone does, and it’s not as big of an issue as it’s made out to be by the OP. 

Other than that, I do enjoy the writeup, @twfish  It’s always nice to have something to read during the long offseason

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I absolutely agree. Everything I’ve watched from him, he has a few times where he will drop in traffic, but the majority of the time he has strong hands and I would actually put his concentration catches as a positive. From what I’ve read from profiles as well they all say the same. He’ll drop a few, but everyone does, and it’s not as big of an issue as it’s made out to be by the OP. 

Other than that, I do enjoy the writeup, @twfish  It’s always nice to have something to read during the long offseason

I just went back to re-read a few reviews. Nothing stressed drops. I also noticed that NFL.com has their prospect profiles out now for the combine. They give him a strong grade, and said similar to what I listed above.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/chase-claypool?id=3219434c-4178-1009-34a1-bfb9899e5d84

Sooooo happy they finally got the profiles up. Their reviews are typically better and more thorough than most. I like The Draft Network's as well.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I just went back to re-read a few reviews. Nothing stressed drops. I also noticed that NFL.com has their prospect profiles out now for the combine. They give him a strong grade, and said similar to what I listed above.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/chase-claypool?id=3219434c-4178-1009-34a1-bfb9899e5d84

Sooooo happy they finally got the profiles up. Their reviews are typically better and more thorough than most. I like The Draft Network's as well.

Saw that as well! It’s exciting because it shows just how close we are coming to draft season. I always look at reports from TDN and NFL.com for most of my outside reports. I’m about to spend the next day just looking at every NFL profile now that they’re up!

• Like 1

Out of the QBs, we like, not much has changed w.r.t nfl.com profile grades and fan opinions, I would say it is about right in relative ranking but the NFL comparisons raise eyebrows.

Burrow - 7.07 (NFL comparison, Kurt Warner)

Tua - 6.82 (NFL comparison, Mark Brunell)

Herbert - 6.45 (NFL comparison, Carson Wentz)

Love - 6.33 (NFL comparison, wait a minute, drumroll please....Blake Bortles :))

Eason - 6.29 (NFL comparison, Carson Palmer/Brock Osweiler)

Fromm - 6.29 (NFL comparison, Colt McCoy, I can see that definitely)

Gordon - 5.58 (no NFL comparison provided)

It sure will be funny re-visiting all these comparisons in a year from now. Patrick Mahomes was obviously compared to Jay Cutler by nfl.com, so there is that, LOL. :) 

6 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Saw that as well! It’s exciting because it shows just how close we are coming to draft season. I always look at reports from TDN and NFL.com for most of my outside reports. I’m about to spend the next day just looking at every NFL profile now that they’re up!

Me too. I was going to take a week or so off from the board like I did last month, but not now lol... Pumped to start digging in. 

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Out of the QBs, we like, not much has changed w.r.t nfl.com profile grades and fan opinions, I would say it is about right:

Love - 6.33 (NFL comparison, wait a minute, drumroll please....Blake Bortles :))

It sure will be funny re-visiting all these comparisons in a year from now. 

They said Mahomes was a comp to Jay Cutler too.... take those with a grain of salt.. 

I agree on Fromm/McCoy somewhat, but McCoy was much more productive. 

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Out of the QBs, we like, not much has changed w.r.t nfl.com profile grades and fan opinions, I would say it is about right in relative ranking but the NFL comparisons raise eyebrows.

It sure will be funny re-visiting all these comparisons in a year from now. Patrick Mahomes was obviously compared to Jay Cutler by nfl.com, so there is that, LOL. :) 

Can someone post a link to the NFL profiles?  I am not finding them... thanks.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

PFF gives their comps, but they don't have all of them quite yet in the draft guide yet.  It'll be a month before they get all the reports on the guys from the combine:

Herbert - Ryan Tannehill

Love - Carson Palmer

Gordon - Kirk Cousins

• Like 2