Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It's really quite simple

19 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The game today is won in the trenches and should be the main focus of the off-season!

Not QB

Not WR 

Not CB 

DL should ABSOLUTELY be the pick at 13 unless AC left then OT would be option. RG needs an upgrade too.

Agree

24 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The game today is won in the trenches and should be the main focus of the off-season!

Not QB

Not WR 

Not CB 

DL should ABSOLUTELY be the pick at 13 unless AC left then OT would be option. RG needs an upgrade too.

Things are never as simple as they might appear.   And I agree about the lines.   But internally,  things are always more complex than they might appear. 

As of this point in time, which is super early, I agree and am hoping for Brown or Kinlaw at 13. People seem to forget that we were like 8-8 twice even when we had Luck. Our roster was just old and mediocre. I don't want to see our roster depreciate. We have the money and the picks to keep the arrow moving up. Ballard said himself yesterday that you can't force the QB upgrade. Again, it's early but first impressions are that there may only be 2 QBs worth taking at our 1st pick and they will be gone. So I hope we stay put, scout hard, and build the mons- errrr draft/sign good players.

I love this idea. I would think we are very close to have a top 10 defense and only a few pieces from a top 5. I would love Kinlaw or Brown. I also really like Esperanza. We need a “war daddy” in the line. 

Love this idea. Build the 22. When you see it, don’t have to force it, you can upgrade the QB. Don’t chance passing in a great defensive player for a possible average QB. 

I couldn't disagree more. You just listed arguably the 3 most important positions in football and 3 positions we have glaring needs at and said they should not a priority or be the pick at 13. ESPECIALLY in today's quick hit game the influence of the trenches becomes less important. It's much more important to have a QB who can read defenses quick and/or playmake and deliver a pass to a receiver who's wins quick and respectively it's really important on defense to have CBs to cover opposing WRs and not allow them to win quick and thus allow time for the pass rush to get there. 

This is why we had a top 3 offensive line in the league and our offense sucked  - because we didn't have a good QB and our offensive weapons are limited/injured.

Don't mistake this for me not thinking the trenches are important. You still need to prevent disruption on offense and disrupt on defense, but the impact of a great QB is probably 5 to 10 fold that of a great defensive tackle in the league. 

That's why you go into the draft and evaluate all players at all positions and draft the guy that gives you the best value out of those. Maybe it ends up being a LT or a DT... but don't automatically ignore QBs or CBs or WRs. Especially in a strong WR class and at a time we have glaring need at QB. 

• Like 4

QB is the most important position in football --- by a longshot.

yes, you need to build a good team. But, if you have a good quarterback you're relevant. Bad QB, you're totally irrelevant.

it's been that way for a loooooong time now.

13 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Not QB

Not WR 

Not CB 

Every person, including those in the NFL may differ.  I recently heard a long time top tier NFL person (maybe Bill Polian or possibly Pat Kirwan?) say the top 3 positions in his mind was QB, interior pass rush, outside pass rush (4-3 or 3-4, didn't matter).  LT was no longer in the top 3, but I bet it is very high, if not next on the list if asked.

While I don’t think it’s just that simple, I agree that a pick on either line early this year is well spent.  Kinlaw (or Austin Jackson in trade-down) in the 1st, Kindley or Alaric Jackson on Day 2, and others would please me.  However, if CeeDee Lamb were to fall to #13, I’d take him instead.  It would be a great year to add a top WR...

3 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

You can find an example for every arguement you want to make. 

I could throw out the 2017 Minnesota Vikings with Case Keenum.  Mediocre QB with a good online, good defense.

Minnesota had a horrible OLine in 2017(allowed pressure on 39.9% of the snaps, 3d worst in the league) and Case Keenum had a career year(7th in passer rating (98.3), 2nd in QBR (69.5), 10th in PFF ratings of QBs (84.5), and 1st in Football Outsiders DVOA among QBs (28.2%).) They also had 2 of the best receivers in the NFL. 

You are correct that anecdotal evidence is not the best, but if I give you EV-based evaluation of positional value that shows QB>>>CB/WR>EDGE>anything else you will find a way to dismiss that one too.