Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumor in Jacksonville is

10 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

they will just franchise tag him like every team does to every elite pass rusher about to hit the market. I'm trying to not even think about getting him cause I'm sure the odds are at about 2%

That's the thing, they won't. First of all they don't have the cap space for that. Secondly he asked for what the tag would pay, the Jags said they won't over pay and don't feel he's worth it. They selected Allen last year and he's really looking good. The Jags feel he's worth in the 14-16 per year range, he feels he's worth in the 22+ range..

5 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

With what money?

I mentioned earlier in the thread, that the Jags will free up 20M in CAP space when they release M. Dareus. 

They will have to get creative, but how often do teams let TOP pass rushes leave for nothing? The answer is pretty simple. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I mentioned earlier in the thread, that the Jags will free up 20M in CAP space when they release M. Dareus. 

They will have to get creative, but how often do teams let TOP pass rushes leave for nothing? The answer is pretty simple. 

I'm not sure Dareus is going to be enough due to at least half of that going to draft picks next year. With what they are wanting to do with Foles, that sounds like they are in major desperation for cash. However, I completely agree that the top pass rushers don't become available nor are they let go without compensation. Jax is way up against the wall in this situation, and as I stated earlier, I wouldn't bail them out and hopefully no one else does either haha 

• Like 1

Just now, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'm not sure Dareus is going to be enough due to at least half of that going to draft picks next year. With what they are wanting to do with Foles, that sounds like they are in major desperation for cash. However, I completely agree that the top pass rushers don't become available nor are they let go without compensation. Jax is way up against the wall in this situation, and as I stated earlier, I wouldn't bail them out and hopefully no one else does either haha 

I have no doubt he gets tagged! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

Ballard made it clear the Colts weren't going to "reach" for a quarterback. Anyone but Burrow is a reach. We need a defensive tackle, receiver and offensive tackle (even with Costanzo) with those top three picks. We can draft a quarterback next year when, hopefully, there is more depth. If we fix most of our other problems this year we could go all in on a quarterback in 2021.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. You don't even know where they are going to be drafted or in what order yet. A year or two down the road it may turn out Burrow wasn't even the best QB in the class. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Orioles22 said:

Who was the last good quarterback we drafted that wasn't the No. 1 pick?

I'm not impressed with anyone but Burrow. I think we should pick up a veteran for a year or two and hope for a stronger class next year. Ballard made a point to talk about not "reaching" for a quarterback. Teams do that all the time and it rarely works out.

Your logic is baffling... We have only drafted 2 QBs in the last 20 years so how many we have drafted that wasn't #1 doesn't prove anything. How many current top starting QBs were drafted #1?  That info is far more relevant. 

• Like 4

Spoiler:

Just because the Colts might not trade for Foles and pick, doesn't mean another team won't.

Bottomline is if Jacksonville will trade Foles and pick to us it is a no brainer.

1. We have the money to absorb the contract, whether we keep him or not.  So he can be released with a cap hit, and we still get high draft pick.

2. He knows the offense, could be our backup if we decide to keep or start the beginning of season if his replacement isn't ready.(Hopefully rookie)

3. Gives us the option to pick up additional draft capital if we decide to keep him. Then we could get something for JB.

4. Could let JB and Foles compete for job, and draft someone in 2021.

5. Most obvious reason, a high 2nd or 3rd round pick. Add to our draft capital with a valuable pick. More ammo to trade up if need be. Could even try and make it a 2021 2nd round pick instead of this year, if this was the plan.

Too many reason to do it if possible.

How you feel he will perform is irrelevant, if he gives us anything it will just make it a more lopsided trade in our favor than it already is. 

And actually zero reasons not to for us.

Definitely not because you think they will have to let Ynanuke(sp?) go.

Someone else will make the deal, or they will clear money some other way. They have already announced he is their #1 priority this off season.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, esmort said:

Your logic is baffling... We have only drafted 2 QBs in the last 20 years so how many we have drafted that wasn't #1 doesn't prove anything. How many current top starting QBs were drafted #1?  That info is far more relevant. 

My point was the two quarterbacks we drafted No. 1 were as close to sure things as you can get. We won't always have sure things, but we don't need to reach when we have needs in several other areas.

19 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

My point was the two quarterbacks we drafted No. 1 were as close to sure things as you can get. We won't always have sure things, but we don't need to reach when we have needs in several other areas.

We don't have the #1 this year and odds are we aren't getting the #1 next year so we are going to have to take a chance and gamble at some point on a lower ranked QB. Taking a chance isn't the same as reaching. Holding out until we get a chance at another "guarantee" like Manning, Luck, etc... dooms the team to indefinite mediocrity. 

• Like 5

There's one MAIN reason why the Jags would NEVER trade Foles to us. He might end up being good!! Can you imagine their fan base if he ends up leading us to a super bowl and Minshew ends up being a 1 trick pony? The fan base is already angry at the players they shipped off, and that was to the other conference..