Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumor in Jacksonville is

They are looking for a trade partner to take Nick Foles. The Jags are willing to give up a 3rd rounder for cap relief, much like the Texans did with Oswilder.  I doubt the Jags would listen to the Colts, but if it's true the Raiders might be interested making Carr very available..

20 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

There is a reason Foles played second fiddle to Minschew an undrafted rookie, he isn't good enough so I don't subscribe to Foles coming to Indianapolis.

If they give us an extra second  to trade for foles I'm down. Then we can cut foles.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

There is a reason Foles played second fiddle to Minschew an undrafted rookie, he isn't good enough so I don't subscribe to Foles coming to Indianapolis.

The point is getting a draft choice - if the report is true. Foles did very well with Reich though, so it wouldn't hurt to give him a shot. We could even use the extra pick to draft a quarterback.

55 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

Sorry, but no.  Most of the time Foles  was hurt.  Broken collarbone.   And when he sat late in the season it was because they didn’t want him to play and get hurt again and lose trade value.   It was not because they thought Minshew was better than Foles. 

I'd have to look at the particulars of the contract to see penalties and cap hits as far as cutting him and what it would do to our cap space.  Getting another early 2nd definitely piques my interest.  What would we be giving up in the process?  Foles and a 2nd round pick for ???????  A 7th rounder?  You listen to EVERYTHING even if you are not likely to act.

1 hour ago, coltsfanmurf said:

I'd have to look at the particulars of the contract to see penalties and cap hits as far as cutting him and what it would do to our cap space.  Getting another early 2nd definitely piques my interest.  What would we be giving up in the process?  Foles and a 2nd round pick for ???????  A 7th rounder?  You listen to EVERYTHING even if you are not likely to act.

the scenario they are proposing are like how the Texans did it the other year, they traded the player AND a pick, in return for simply dumping the contract. I don't think anything else was exchanged.

• Like 1

Nick Foles still has a very high ceiling and is one of the best throwers when he's on his game.

Reich was able to get that out of him before so there's a chance for repeatition and getting a good pick on top of that sounds very intriguing.

But I fear the Jags don't want to give a good drafter in Ballard another pick and keep Foles out of the South.

• Like 1

The Jags are really up against the Cap.  They have to make some moves and more than just one or two.  Foles is an obvious one and if we can get him and a 2nd we should do it.  Remember the Jags had one of the worse OL in the NFL last year.  Different story with us.  We could move on from JB and maybe even Hoyer.  Now the Jags could shy away because we are in the same division of course.  My first choice would be to try and get Carr but if that's impossible Foles and a 2nd sounds pretty good to me if they would do it.  

1 hour ago, waittilnextyear said:

The Jags would be taking a $33.8M dead cap hit. That is extreme.
We would take on $15+M. 

If they cut him they would, if they trade him it's like a 9 million hit. Once again, the teams they said would "listen" were teams like the Raiders and Chargers, I highly doubt that the Jags would trade Foles to an inter division rival. Foles was injured, and when he came back his arm wasn't the same. Doctors think the injury weakened his arm but should be back by next year.

32 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The Jags are really up against the Cap.  They have to make some moves and more than just one or two.  Foles is an obvious one and if we can get him and a 2nd we should do it.  Remember the Jags had one of the worse OL in the NFL last year.  Different story with us.  We could move on from JB and maybe even Hoyer.  Now the Jags could shy away because we are in the same division of course.  My first choice would be to try and get Carr but if that's impossible Foles and a 2nd sounds pretty good to me if they would do it.  

They save 20M, once they cut Marvell Dareus, and they will I’m sure. 

I seriously doubt they cut or anyone is willing to trade for Foles. 

He definitely be an upgrade, but to assume the Colts traded for him, you don’t keep Brissett.

Just my 2 cents. 

10 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would be all for the chargers taking him. That would mean one less team ahead of us wanting a QB.

Ballard made it clear the Colts weren't going to "reach" for a quarterback. Anyone but Burrow is a reach. We need a defensive tackle, receiver and offensive tackle (even with Costanzo) with those top three picks. We can draft a quarterback next year when, hopefully, there is more depth. If we fix most of our other problems this year we could go all in on a quarterback in 2021.

So the Jags like Minshew that much.. I'm personally not surprised at that. I think he's got a future, but that's a debate I don't know a whole lot about. I could be totally wrong.

But Foles, what is Foles? Do we want him? The anti-JB part of me does. The part of me that knows that Foles is an injury prone, fluke-ish SB winner (which isn't a knock, but it does raise the question how can his floor be so low?) and Jags sloppy 3rd or 4th's.. It's not hard to find reason to pass.

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

So the Jags like Minshew that much.. I'm personally not surprised at that. I think he's got a future, but that's a debate I don't know a whole lot about. I could be totally wrong.

But Foles, what is Foles? Do we want him? The anti-JB part of me does. The part of me that knows that Foles is an injury prone, fluke-ish SB winner (which isn't a knock, but it does raise the question how can his floor be so low?) and Jags sloppy 3rd or 4th's.. It's not hard to find reason to pass.

It would be a huge gamble on Ballard’s part and if it ends up being a stinker, he might be looking for a new job in a couple years.

Signing Rivers to a short deal, and drafting a QB to develop a year or two behind Rivers would make more sense. 

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

The thing about Minshew is is he fails it didn’t cost them that much. As a sixth round pick he isn’t making much. It’s worth the risk to see if he is the guy. They still have him on a rookie contract for three more years. They got two more years to see if he can be the guy before he would even be elgible for a extension. 

1 hour ago, Orioles22 said:

Ballard made it clear the Colts weren't going to "reach" for a quarterback. Anyone but Burrow is a reach. We need a defensive tackle, receiver and offensive tackle (even with Costanzo) with those top three picks. We can draft a quarterback next year when, hopefully, there is more depth. If we fix most of our other problems this year we could go all in on a quarterback in 2021.

Are you serious. We are never going to have the number one pick.  Just because a QB isn’t the first pick doesn’t mean it is a reach. Ballard’s and Reichs job is on the line with QB play next year like it was this year. QB is the number one need.  You have no chance with bad QB play. This is actually a pretty good QB class.

• Like 1

Who was the last good quarterback we drafted that wasn't the No. 1 pick?

I'm not impressed with anyone but Burrow. I think we should pick up a veteran for a year or two and hope for a stronger class next year. Ballard made a point to talk about not "reaching" for a quarterback. Teams do that all the time and it rarely works out.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

It's not so much about Foles. It's about buying another second-round pick. That's a great way to spend some of our excess cap money to perhaps draft another starter, maybe on the offensive line or in the secondary.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

It's not so much about Foles. It's about buying another second-round pick. That's a great way to spend some of our excess cap money to perhaps draft another starter, maybe on the offensive line or in the secondary.

I'm more or less tuned out on any issue that's not dealing with the QB at the moment. Buying a second round pick. Whatever. Might be good, might not be. Ballard can get just as excited about guys found all over the draft.. This team needs a QB before anything else is dealt with imo so for my buck Foles is the reason this is a discussion worth having, not a second round pick.

11 minutes ago, Orioles22 said:

Who was the last good quarterback we drafted that wasn't the No. 1 pick?

I'm not impressed with anyone but Burrow. I think we should pick up a veteran for a year or two and hope for a stronger class next year. Ballard made a point to talk about not "reaching" for a quarterback. Teams do that all the time and it rarely works out.

I suggest you look at the playoff teams this year and where the QB were drafted. It’s a mixed bag. We are never going to have the one or two pick.  No one has any clue what ballard has these QB rated. What fans think doesn’t matter.

15 hours ago, ColtJax said:

They are looking for a trade partner to take Nick Foles. The Jags are willing to give up a 3rd rounder for cap relief, much like the Texans did with Oswilder.  I doubt the Jags would listen to the Colts, but if it's true the Raiders might be interested making Carr very available..

How much contract $ (additional) would Colts eat to 'buy' that 3rd rounder?

13 hours ago, Stephen said:

If they give us an extra second  to trade for foles I'm down. Then we can cut foles.

Still would (likely) eat (at least some of) his salary.

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

the scenario they are proposing are like how the Texans did it the other year, they traded the player AND a pick, in return for simply dumping the contract. I don't think anything else was exchanged.

Actually, the Brown gave the Texans their 4th round pick in exchange for a 6th, and a 2nd round the following year.  In essence, the Browns bought a seconder round pick in 2018 for $16 million in 2017, and also swapped a 4 for a 6 in 2017.

4 hours ago, waittilnextyear said:

The Jags would be taking a $33.8M dead cap hit. That is extreme.
We would take on $15+M. 

If they cut him, yes.  And he'd be a free agent then. But I think if they trade him pre June 1, it is only $18,750,000 dead cap, saving 3.125M and they would be out from the contract in 2021 and beyond.

3 hours ago, ColtJax said:

If they cut him they would, if they trade him it's like a 9 million hit. Once again, the teams they said would "listen" were teams like the Raiders and Chargers, I highly doubt that the Jags would trade Foles to an inter division rival. Foles was injured, and when he came back his arm wasn't the same. Doctors think the injury weakened his arm but should be back by next year.

OTC has it at $18.75 M, as above.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

we would have 4 picks in the top 50 I dont give a damn if they get a lil cap relief they never do anything right anyway 

If they don't have cap relief, there is a good possibility that Ngakoue could become available. Give me Ngakoue over any 3rd round pick. 

• Like 1

Just now, BleedBlu8792 said:

If they don't have cap relief, there is a good possibility that Ngakoue could become available. Give me Ngakoue over any 3rd round pick. 

they will just franchise tag him like every team does to every elite pass rusher about to hit the market. I'm trying to not even think about getting him cause I'm sure the odds are at about 2%