Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it too soon?

23 hours ago, Pacergeek said:

TY Hilton, by far the best player on offense, was a Grigson pick. I'm three years, Ballard hasn't came close to drafting another player on Hilton's level.

Darius Leonard, Quenton Nelson, Braden Smith are all great players that are around TY Hilton’s level in their respective ways. But I do agree that he needs to draft another star on offense. Hope Campbell is that guy but we’ll see. 

On 12/21/2019 at 3:06 PM, Pelt said:

Not sure how to answer you. Are you a law firm?

Hehe. The OP's name brings back some fond memories for a lot of us oldtimers. The 'Sack Pack' played during the Bert Jones era from the mid 70's to early 80's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ratking said:

I am not sure what proven receiver we had besides TY to start the season. I for one was disappointed with the Funchess signing and before the year started I worried injuries (ty is starting to have a lot of lower body injuries) would limit the Colts passing game. 

I do think it's a worry when our best offensive player is a lineman. I am not sure how much impact a lineman has on the game compared to about any skill position. 

Hilton, Campbell. Fountain, Funchess, Rogers, Pascal and Ishmael at the start of the season was not thought to be a bad group of receivers. 

5 of them ended up on injured reserve and Hilton has missed games due to injury.

Blaming Ballard on that makes no sense. 

37 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Hilton, Campbell. Fountain, Funchess, Rogers, Pascal and Ishmael at the start of the season was not thought to be a bad group of receivers. 

5 of them ended up on injured reserve and Hilton has missed games due to injury.

Blaming Ballard on that makes no sense. 

I don't blame Ballard for the injuries... But that's not a great group of receivers to roll into a season with Luck or can't hit the side of a barn Jacoby. Ty is literally the only name on that list that has much of an elite record in the NFL. Funchess had like one good season, and even local media like Kevin Bowen thought we over paid for funchess if I remember right. (yes I know we can afford to overpay funchess cause Ballard hoards cap money like a kid does candy). But, outside of the Colts forum echo chamber I don't think many people looked at our receiver group (outside of Ty) and thought anything but subpar or unproven. 

On 12/21/2019 at 8:27 PM, Pacergeek said:

TY Hilton, by far the best player on offense, was a Grigson pick. I'm three years, Ballard hasn't came close to drafting another player on Hilton's level.

You're not exactly being objective here.  He hasn't drafted a.offensive.skill player that talented, no.  But there are others who are just as elite, or moreso.  Nelson is a higher ranked OG than Hilton ever was at WR.... Leonard is arguably just as impactful at LB as TY early on.... Rigo is a highly ranked punter, Mack is middle of road RB1.... where TY is middle of pack to slightly above WR1...etc, etc.....

• Like 1

Still think even though we won handily, against the Panthers due to running game key turnovers, great punt returns, The inability to throw the ball long, is a major concern, Now it might be some receiving issues, but I did see some replays where receivers were  open and Jacoby was not picking up on seeing the whole field. When he does pass it is always short passes that most defenses seem to exploit, and do not feel threaten about his long ball threat. Until he shows that he can stretch the field long, this is a problem against better teams. 

On 12/21/2019 at 7:27 PM, Pacergeek said:

Nelson is by far the best offensive player on this team. Followed by Ryan Kelly. 

At this point, Marlon Mack is probably the best skill position player on the offense.

14 hours ago, TheMiz said:

Nelson is by far the best offensive player on this team. Followed by Ryan Kelly. 

At this point, Marlon Mack is probably the best skill position player on the offense.

If your top three players are two offensive lineman and a RB, you are not going to be a winning team in the NFL. It's a passing league, and Ballard should be held accountable not upgrading the WR position. Why didn't Ballard sign John Brown? It's not like we didn't have the money. Instead, he goes shopping at the Dollar Tree for Devin Funchess.