Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Jacoby Poll

Four2itus

New Jacoby Brissett poll  

156 members have voted

1. 1. There are a lot more people in agreement with regards to the Colts QB than it seems. I don't think a poll has been worded correctly. Please pick the choice that best fits....

• Jacoby is the franchise QB the Colts are looking for
    • Jacoby could develop into the franchise QB the Colts are looking for if the team could just get healthy
    • Jacoby is not the franchise QB the Colts are looking for, but will remain the starter until the right QB opportunity comes along
    • Jacoby is not the franchise QB the Colts are looking for, and the Colts will either draft or find a FA QB before the start of next season
    • Jacoby is not the franchise QB the Colts are looking for, and Chad Kelly will be the starter next season
    • Jacoby is not the franchise QB the Colts are looking for, and the Colts should give Chad Kelly the shot for the rest of this season
    • Jacoby is not the franchise QB the Colts are looking for, and the Colts should trade pick(s) for a QB right now

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

I think what you are saying is that no young teenager to a young adult ever grows up, they do and if he has managed to stay clean and quiet all season, which he has seemed to do, I’d be willing to take a step into the bathwater to see if I get burned or not. Of course, Kelly would have to absolutely show me the talent on the field first for me to want to take that step. Doing it in practice against our guys doesn’t give me the same confound I would with in game play and adjustments by opposing teams. As a GM, I’d be willing to take on the risk if he has shown the ability to stay focused all year long and shown me the ability to play ball in this league in live fire. Hell, I’d maybe surprise him into a starters role this week just to see how he has been preparing himself all along. He has been placed on inactive roster every game so far, has he practiced and studied like a professional each step of the way? Would he be ready to go if we said 1 1/2 hours before the game, you’re our starter today? It could certainly be another of those milestone tests for him to see his reaction to adversity and if he has been coasting knowing he was not going to be activated or if he has truly dedicated himself to the playbook and his limited reps in practice. I think it could either show his maturity level both good or bad and allow the team to decide if he was worth keeping on the roster or not for next year. A lot of ways this young kid can go here. I’m not as down on risk with him as you certainly are. 

No, this is not what I'm saying. People make mistakes, people grow up all the time. It's a completely different question whether you are willing to trust your multibillion franchise with a face of the franchise who has a history of poor decisions both in college and in the NFL. You cannot and should not make the biggest decisions for your franchise with Chad Kelly being any sort of consideration into those decision. You cannot go into next season with Chad Kelly as your presumptive starting QB. This is insanity. If you like a QB in the draft you do NOT pass on him because you have Chad Kelly on the roster. If you like a free agent QB as a starter, you don't pass on him because you have Chad Kelly on the roster. If you like Jacoby as your starter, you don't let him go because of Chad Kelly. And this is with whatever Chad Kelly does in the last 3 games. 

I don't mind us keeping him on the roster. He seems to have behaved himself so far and that's good. I don't mind him getting some starts if they've already determined Brissett is not the answer(if they have not, they should continue to start Brissett until they have their answer one way or another). But this is more with an eye to our backup QB spots than trusting him as a starter going forward. There is nothing Chad Kelly can do in the next 3 games that will make me comfortable having him as our presumptive starter and giving him even the contract that Jacoby got last year, let alone a long-term franchise QB contract. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

150+ votes and not a single person voted that Brissett is the franchise QB the Colts are looking for...  ouch.

He hasn't really proven to be a franchise QB is why. Having said that I still think is an above average QB. Not good, very good, or great but better than average. With the team we have around him, we can win 9 or 10 games most years but we aren't healthy and haven't been. It would not surprise me if we didn't win a game the rest of the year now and finished 6-10. Last week let the air out of the balloon.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still think is an above average QB.

I think average-below average starter is more accurate ... above average means he is 16th or better.  I think at this point there are about 16 other QBs I believe are better and several more who are probably better or will end up being better.

3 minutes ago, esmort said:

I think average-below average starter is more accurate ... above average means he is 16th or better.  I think at this point there are about 16 other QBs I believe are better and several more who are probably better or will end up being better.

Hard to gauge because TY Hilton has been playing hurt a lot and has missed games. Losing your #1 WR takes away from what a QB can do in most cases. Had TY been healthy all season, JB would've probably looked better and we would probably be sitting at 8-5 at worse.

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Hard to gauge because TY Hilton has been playing hurt a lot and has missed games. Losing your #1 WR takes away from what a QB can do in most cases. Had TY been healthy all season, JB would've probably looked better and we would probably be sitting at 8-5 at worse.

JB had plenty of duds (low QBR, yards, etc.) prior to TY going out. They were just ignored because the team won in spite of those duds. Even at 8-5, or in the playoffs with a healthy TY, we're not going far. Last I saw, the Colts SoS was like 25th, which along with low point differential, wasn't a situation that was going to be sustainable. 

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

JB had plenty of duds (low QBR, yards, etc.) prior to TY going out. They were just ignored because the team won in spite of those duds. Even at 8-5, or in the playoffs with a healthy TY, we're not going far. Last I saw, the Colts SoS was like 25th, which along with low point differential, wasn't a situation that was going to be sustainable. 

I still have a legit point, you often bring up Hill being out is to why we beat KC, so bringing up TY being out is legit to why JB has struggled. Even when TY has played he played hurt in a few games = not at 100%. It is probable we beat Miami if JB and TY play, if TY was 100% at Houston it is probable we win as well. Against Houston he looked slow and playing injured.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still have a legit point, you often bring up Hill being out is to why we beat KC, so bringing up TY being out is legit to why JB has struggled. Even when TY has played he played hurt in a few games = not at 100%. It is probable we beat Miami if JB and TY play, if TY was 100% at Houston it is probable we win as well. Against Houston he looked slow and playing injured.

It was not just Hill being out. Mahomes, who relies on his mobility to make his game work, was gimpy. And he wasn't just without Hill. He was also with his #2 WR and his starting LT. That's not including a few others but pretty sure they were also missing a LB and one or two DL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

It was not just Hill being out. Mahomes, who relies on his mobility to make his game work, was gimpy. And he wasn't just without Hill. He was also with his #2 WR and his starting LT. That's not including a few others but pretty sure they were also missing a LB and one or two DL.

JB actually looked gimpy at Houston, his knee wasn't 100%. The week after against the Titans JB grabbed his knee on a play after being sacked. So using an injury excuse for JB doesn't fly with you but Mahomes who is a better QB is allowed an excuse. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

JB actually looked gimpy at Houston, his knee wasn't 100%. The week after against the Titans JB grabbed his knee on a play after being sacked. So using an injury excuse for JB doesn't fly with you but Mahomes who is a better QB is allowed an excuse. 

It's simple for me. Forget injuries. JB has been average to below average prior to his injury and when he had TY. We know what Mahomes looks like when he's healthy and has his skill postition guys. We also know what JB looks like when he's healthy too.

You can't simply excuse JB's bad performances just because the team won some of those games.

And I'm not even sure why we're talking about the KC game. JB did almost nothing in that game. 150ish yards, 32ish QBR (very bad), no passing TDs, and one 1 INT. Mack was the O star of that game and the D shut down their running (I don't even think they hit 50 yards). Mahomes being gimpy and without all his injured players still had a higher QBR than JB.

3 hours ago, stitches said:

No, this is not what I'm saying. People make mistakes, people grow up all the time. It's a completely different question whether you are willing to trust your multibillion franchise with a face of the franchise who has a history of poor decisions both in college and in the NFL. You cannot and should not make the biggest decisions for your franchise with Chad Kelly being any sort of consideration into those decision. You cannot go into next season with Chad Kelly as your presumptive starting QB. This is insanity. If you like a QB in the draft you do NOT pass on him because you have Chad Kelly on the roster. If you like a free agent QB as a starter, you don't pass on him because you have Chad Kelly on the roster. If you like Jacoby as your starter, you don't let him go because of Chad Kelly. And this is with whatever Chad Kelly does in the last 3 games. 

I don't mind us keeping him on the roster. He seems to have behaved himself so far and that's good. I don't mind him getting some starts if they've already determined Brissett is not the answer(if they have not, they should continue to start Brissett until they have their answer one way or another). But this is more with an eye to our backup QB spots than trusting him as a starter going forward. There is nothing Chad Kelly can do in the next 3 games that will make me comfortable having him as our presumptive starter and giving him even the contract that Jacoby got last year, let alone a long-term franchise QB contract. 

We get it, you really dislike Chad Kelly on this team. But to your points of if there is a draft able guy the organization thinks is a potential franchise guy, you take him regardless of who is on the qb staff imho. Just short of having a Luck or Manning type guy, you absolutely don’t let potential guys make your decision. Now, unless we are getting a FA franchise QB put in front of us, I think you take a real hard look at who you have now. Maybe you take a third round guy and let him compete against CK and JB in the preseason period. Maybe Kelly has completely gotten the message and understands his actions of a privileged (relative of Jim K) doesn’t mean much if you don’t grow up fast in the nfl. Maybe he hasn’t, the team will know though. Kelly isn’t at the stage where he is going to command any contract worth note yet so you have time with him. Let’s say just for fun, Kelly pans out big time and now you have your 3rd rounder QB, who also shows solid promise. Now you have choices and you also have a potential tradeable asset. I just don’t see the downside here. We all seen Ryan Leaf and Jeff George deal with being a spoiled kid. Neither could hide it long. Eventually though, George grew up, sadly, Leaf did not. Everything in the nfl is a crapshoot, nothing is absolute. I trust the brass to make an informed decision on who to keep though. Neither of us get that burden. 

Just now, Jdubu said:

We get it, you really dislike Chad Kelly on this team. But to your points of if there is a draft able guy the organization thinks is a potential franchise guy, you take him regardless of who is on the qb staff imho. Just short of having a Luck or Manning type guy, you absolutely don’t let potential guys make your decision. Now, unless we are getting a FA franchise QB put in front of us, I think you take a real hard look at who you have now. Maybe you take a third round guy and let him compete against CK and JB in the preseason period. Maybe Kelly has completely gotten the message and understands his actions of a privileged (relative of Jim K) doesn’t mean much if you don’t grow up fast in the nfl. Maybe he hasn’t, the team will know though. Kelly isn’t at the stage where he is going to command any contract worth note yet so you have time with him. Let’s say just for fun, Kelly pans out big time and now you have your 3rd rounder QB, who also shows solid promise. Now you have choices and you also have a potential tradeable asset. I just don’t see the downside here. We all seen Ryan Leaf and Jeff George deal with being a spoiled kid. Neither could hide it long. Eventually though, George grew up, sadly, Leaf did not. Everything in the nfl is a crapshoot, nothing is absolute. I trust the brass to make an informed decision on who to keep though. Neither of us get that burden. 

As of now I am actually not a Chad supporter (never have been) nor do I think JB has proven to be a franchise QB either but I do think JB is above average. Having said that, our season is clearly over so I would play Chad these last 3 games just to see what he has, It wouldn't hurt a thing and JB can rest his knee and get healthy.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In the 5 years I have been here I think JB has got more criticism in here than any other player or coach. I thought Grigson and Pagano got a lot but JB has them blown away. JB even blows away Trent Richardson lmao .  What is funny is JB isn't even that bad, he may not be a franchise QB but is average at worse. 

You seem stuck on a false belief in JB being above average and you don’t seem willing to believe it when others point out that even with all his weapons healthy, JB was not performing well at all. He just isn’t an average QB, he just isn’t. He will never carry a team to wins, he needs lots of help. I will also add that I don’t think his OC has helped him with schemes either. He is still trying to fit him into the Luck Passing scheme. It’s not good for JB though. 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In the 5 years I have been here I think JB has got more criticism in here than any other player or coach. I thought Grigson and Pagano got a lot but JB has them blown away. JB even blows away Trent Richardson lmao .  What is funny is JB isn't even that bad, he may not be a franchise QB but is average at worse. 

I think one reason JB takes so much heat is that the organization whether intentional or just coach speak gave fans the impression he was fully capable of stepping in and being the franchise QB.  A lot of fans fully bought into the hype and pushed that narrative as well.  Then when it became obvious to many he was not franchise level and his flaws were obvious many posters insisted on continuing to push the narrative that JB is the man. I believe the JB defenders digging their heels in with constant excuses even as more flaws were discovered and proven caused him to take more heat than he he would have taken otherwise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, esmort said:

I think one reason JB takes so much heat is that the organization whether intentional or just coach speak gave fans the impression he was fully capable of stepping in and being the franchise QB.  A lot of fans fully bought into the hype and pushed that narrative as well.  Then when it became obvious to many he was not franchise level and his flaws were obvious many posters insisted on continuing to push the narrative that JB is the man. I believe the JB defenders digging their heels in with constant excuses even as more flaws were discovered and proven caused him to take more heat than he he would have taken otherwise. 

Thing of it is I don't think 1 person has ever went as far as saying he is a franchise QB in here. I do not recall it. I have stuck to my same opinion all year. Even when we were 5-2 I was calling JB above average. I was saying he isn't bad and we can games with this guy. I defend him mainly when someone says he sucks and blames everything on him. That just isn't right IMO when you have had the injuries we have had. Like I have always said though the QB and coach gets most of the blame. It has always been like that with fans as most just see it that way and do not look at other factors.

27 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Where the hell did you read this thing? How many times do I need to say that I don't mind Chad Kelly on the roster? I DO NOT MIND CHAD KELLY BEING ON THE ROSTER. I actually think he's a pretty good QB3 with potential for backup. It was yesterday that I was defending his roster spot going forward in another thread. My point this whole thread has been that you cannot go into next season with Chad Kelly as your starter. No matter what he does in the remaining 3 meaningless games. If he throws for 400 yards and 4tds a game until the end of the season, it still should not be enough to convince you not to search for your QB in the draft or in FA. Chad Kelly is a the wildest of wild cards. You don't treat wild cards like certainty. You don't treat your QB position like it's some wheel of fortune. You go get the player you want and believe in. You don't let a borderline rosterable guy dictate what you do at the very top of the top of your roster.  This was my whole point. You let him compete with the rest of the guys while he's here, but don't treat him like anything more than what he's been in the league so far - PS QB/QB3... his top priority right now should be beating Hoyer for a roster spot...  

12 minutes ago, esmort said:

Also, it is because many fans see the writing on the wall.  It feels like Brissett will be the starter for next season too.  It doesn't leave much to be excited about.  He can't make the reads to suddenly change into something else.  

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thing of it is I don't think 1 person has ever went as far as saying he is a franchise QB in here. I do not recall it. I have stuck to my same opinion all year. Even when we were 5-2 I was calling JB above average. I was saying he isn't bad and we can games with this guy. I defend him mainly when someone says he sucks and blames everything on him. That just isn't right IMO when you have had the injuries we have had. Like I have always said though the QB and coach gets most of the blame. It has always been like that with fans as most just see it that way and do not look at other factors.

I am not going to go through and search through all the posts.  But, I know I read several comments earlier in the season along the lines of JB being a franchise QB (a top QB, Colts future QB, no need to look for another QB, as good or better than X or Y franchise QBs, etc ...) especially after Houston, KC, and the Denver endzone pass.

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

As of now I am actually not a Chad supporter (never have been) nor do I think JB has proven to be a franchise QB either but I do think JB is above average. Having said that, our season is clearly over so I would play Chad these last 3 games just to see what he has, It wouldn't hurt a thing and JB can rest his knee and get healthy.

I kind of want to see Chad Kelly so we'd know what he can do in real games rather than against 3d-4th stringers in pre-season games. I would really prefer that he steps up so we can avoid paying Hoyer that contract. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Where the hell did you read this thing? How many times do I need to say that I don't mind Chad Kelly on the roster? I DO NOT MIND CHAD KELLY BEING ON THE ROSTER. I actually think he's a pretty good QB3 with potential for backup. It was yesterday that I was defending his roster spot going forward in another thread. My point this whole thread has been that you cannot go into next season with Chad Kelly as your starter. No matter what he does in the remaining 3 meaningless games. If he throws for 400 yards and 4tds a game until the end of the season, it still should not be enough to convince you not to search for your QB in the draft or in FA. Chad Kelly is a the wildest of wild cards. You don't treat wild cards like certainty. You don't treat your QB position like it's some wheel of fortune. You go get the player you want and believe in. You don't let a borderline rosterable guy dictate what you do at the very top of the top of your roster.  This was my whole point. You let him compete with the rest of the guys while he's here, but don't treat him like anything more than what he's been in the league so far - PS QB/QB3... his top priority right now should be beating Hoyer for a roster spot...  

If he does that and looks like a potential starter, I would be fine with the Colts going into 2020 training camp with an open competition for starter between Chad and Jacoby.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, esmort said:

Kinda like a co dependency marriage! 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I kind of want to see Chad Kelly so we'd know what he can do in real games rather than against 3d-4th stringers in pre-season games. I would really prefer that he steps up so we can avoid paying Hoyer that contract. 

I think Hoyer is mostly paid already.   $9/$12 is guaranteed.  

If we have to take the cap hit anyway, Ballard may keep him on the team.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

If he does that and looks like a potential starter, I would be fine with the Colts going into 2020 training camp with an open competition for starter between Chad and Jacoby.  

I would not. If they don't believe in Brissett they should go get a high end talent in the draft that they believe in or try to get high end QB in FA(the latter won't happen IMO because those don't hit FA unless they are super old or super injured). 

4 minutes ago, esmort said:

I am not going to go through and search through all the posts.  But, I know I read several comments earlier in the season along the lines of JB being a franchise QB (a top QB, Colts future QB, no need to look for another QB, as good or better than X or Y franchise QBs, etc ...) especially after Houston, KC, and the Denver endzone pass.

There were a few in the media saying it but I can't recall anyone in here saying it. If there was it may have been a couple of people. If you look at the poll nobody is saying it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Also, it is because many fans see the writing on the wall.  It feels like Brissett will be the starter for next season too.  It doesn't leave much to be excited about.  He can't make the reads to suddenly change into something else.  

I agree ... I will have a hard time getting excited for next season if JB is the QB.  I am not going to stop watching or anything drastic,  but how I prioritize watching/going to games against other weekend activities may take a dip.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I would not. If they don't believe in Brissett they should go get a high end talent in the draft or try to get high end QB in FA(the latter won't happen IMO because those don't hit FA unless they are super old or super injured). 

It depends.  If Ballard is already planning on getting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, we could assume they wouldn't be the starter next season.   Let Chad and Brissett battle it out.  

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There were a few in the media saying it but I can't recall anyone in here saying it. If there was it may have been a couple of people. If you look at the poll nobody is saying it.

Well definitely not saying it now ... even some of his biggest cheerleaders are realizing the painful truth and turning down the level support.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Myles said:

It depends.  If Ballard is already planning on getting a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, we could assume they wouldn't be the starter next season.   Let Chad and Brissett battle it out.  

Whoever we draft, chances are he won't start next year. IMO if we draft a QB, Brissett will be the overwhelming favorite to start the season as our starter. I would be kind of disappointed if Ballard missed on the best QB talent in the draft and settled for the 3d round types. Those picks are wild shots and have very low success rate for QBs. First-to-early second is the range where you can say the GM is drafting a QB because he sees him as a potential franchise QB. Anything past that IMO, you are drafting more backups or wildcards or injury insurance QBs... that's not to say some of those won't become franchise QBs, but the expectations are much lower and odds of them becoming a franchise QB are not great. 

If Ballard waits for round 3 to address QB this should tell you enough about the level of talent he thinks he's getting. He has no problem drafting players he values extremely high much higher than the consensus(Leonard, Okereke, Willis) if he thinks they have the talent. I can only imagine how much less likely he will be to fool around with the QB position and let a player who he really likes fall to round 3 for example. IMO if he doesn't draft a QB early, he probably hasn't given up on Brissett... or the QB he really liked got taken before our pick.   

• Like 1

Mondays game will be very important in determining who plays the rest of the way.  A win and  Jb keeps playing until we lose.  I think once we lose or are eliminated our strategy could change dramatically.  I think IF Chase plays and does well he and JB will battle for the starting job next season.  If Chase doesn't play this year then I think we will draft a QB for sure.  The fact they don't want to see him in game action will be telling. 

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Mondays game will be very important in determining who plays the rest of the way.  A win and  Jb keeps playing until we lose.  I think once we lose or are eliminated our strategy could change dramatically.  I think IF Chase plays and does well he and JB will battle for the starting job next season.  If Chase doesn't play this year then I think we will draft a QB for sure.  The fact they don't want to see him in game action will be telling. 

Who’s Chase?  The kicker?

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like Burrow but he's going #1. Jordan Love has my curiosity but IMO most of the QB's coming out are a crapshoot. Tua scares me as well because of his injury, a hip injury is serious.

Herbert interest me. Sure he can be looked at as a system QB, but I think all the tools are there

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Mondays game will be very important in determining who plays the rest of the way.  A win and  Jb keeps playing until we lose.  I think once we lose or are eliminated our strategy could change dramatically.  I think IF Chad plays and does well he and JB will battle for the starting job next season.  If Chad doesn't play this year then I think we will draft a QB for sure.  The fact they don't want to see him in game action will be telling. 

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Chad should play now. I may eat crow for saying this but I see no way we beat the Saints. Saints are playing for a lot too. By the way I am one that actually picked us at KC too. I don't see it this week though.

I wonder if Chad would get the same sympathy, if he didn’t play well. 

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

There are so many anti JB people in here right now that I think Chad could look average and get the benefit of the doubt from most people in here. As long as he doesn't look bad like Hoyer did vs Miami. I am not going to bash the guy if he plays and we lose unless he just looks bad.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MPStack said:

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

There are so many anti JB people in here right now that I think Chad could look average and get the benefit of the doubt from most people in here. As long as he doesn't look bad like Hoyer did vs Miami. I am not going to bash the guy if he plays and we lose unless he just looks bad.

:lol:..... On this Forum?

I think they’d all be pilloried....

• Like 1