Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 10 impressions: Hoyer the Destroyer (merge)

Imgrandojji

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Does anyone think there will be conversions going on with ballard Reich and Irsay to cut hoyer and leave Kelly as the backup. 

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I mean let’s be real. Kelly is easier to mold into a specific game plan if he has to play.

If JB was more established maybe 

There is a lot more to being a backup QB than playing

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Does anyone think there will be conversions going on with ballard Reich and Irsay to cut hoyer and leave Kelly as the backup. 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I mean let’s be real. Kelly is easier to mold into a specific game plan if he has to play.

Most said Hoyer was brought in, really not to play, but to mentor (good habits, professionalism, good film study, knew Ds, experience with different teams), so doubt they cut him. I could see them moving CK up the depth chart and perhaps playing time (in blowouts or if we drop from contention), but doubt they'd drop Hoyer right now.

If we drop the next two, we're probably done anyone, so won't matter. Honestly if we do fall out of contention for the playoffs, I want to see Kelly. If he's good, we'll know. If he's not, we'll know and can drop him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Agree on most except the Flores part. I'm sure they expected a more conservative JB type game plan too lol. Maybe Reich thought the same, and was using reverse psychology lol....

Anyway, hate losing. If we drop the next two, I think we're done. Both should be difficult given our play all season. Jax with extra rest and two weeks to prep. Houston with a revenge chip on their shoulders in their house..... Today should have been automatic regardless of QB.

Jax has a rusty QB with no connection to his receivers not to mention the fact that Jags coaching make several head scratcher decisions a week

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Most said Hoyer was brought in, really not to play, but to mentor (good habits, professionalism, good film study, knew Ds, experience with different teams), so doubt they cut him. I could see them moving CK up the depth chart and perhaps playing time (in blowouts or if we drop from contention), but doubt they'd drop Hoyer right now.

If we drop the next two, we're probably done anyone, so won't matter. Honestly if we do fall out of contention for the playoffs, I want to see Kelly. If he's good, we'll know. If he's not, we'll know and can drop him.

I don’t think you can play him even if your out of the race. They are still evaluating JB also.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Agree on most except the Flores part. I'm sure they expected a more conservative JB type game plan too lol. Maybe Reich thought the same, and was using reverse psychology lol....

Anyway, hate losing. If we drop the next two, I think we're done. Both should be difficult given our play all season. Jax with extra rest and two weeks to prep. Houston with a revenge chip on their shoulders in their house..... Today should have been automatic regardless of QB.

Agreed I don't think any of the remaining games are a given.  But, I do think the situation we are now in and how defenses are going to play us from here on out will force Reich (if he wants to have any chance at the post season) to open the play book and see if JB can play less conservative, find the open receiver, and can make those down field throws. Then at least we find out one way or the other if JB is capable of being the guy , or if we have to go QB shopping. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

Jax has a rusty QB with no connection to his receivers not to mention the fact that Jags coaching make several head scratcher decisions a week

Our coaches made all kind of head scratchers this weak.... 

Our passing game has been rusty most of the year. 

Both teams have top 10 rushing attacks, and both teams are mediocre against the run.

Both passing Ds are similar. Their DL (sacks) is much better than ours.

5 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

With Texans in drivers seat to win division, the loss to Raiders and Steelers really hurts; they have tiebreaker. :(

Hoyer has lost his last 10 games in a row he has started-

I'm at a loss. But JB7 seems to be able to hold the team together.  We now have 10 games in a row that finished < than a TD difference.

Yeah, Brissett is especially adept at not screwing it up for you. He pretty much manages the game and lets the rest of your roster to win or lose the game. In a game vs 1-7 team this would be a great recipe. In a game where you have the coaching advantage(even though I again didn't like some playcalls today, I think Frank has the advantage over most other coaches), that will win you games, etc. A player like Brissett at QB raises the floor for the team almost by default, because of his playing style.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Our coaches made all kind of head scratchers this weak.... 

Our passing game has been rusty most of the year. 

Both teams have top 10 rushing attacks, and both teams are mediocre against the run.

Both passing Ds are similar. Their DL (sacks) is much better than ours.

Some of the D stats were pre Ramsey trade

Just look at the Keelan Cole stats

4 minutes ago, esmort said:

Agreed I don't think any of the remaining games are a given.  But, I do think the situation we are now in and how defenses are going to play us from here on out will force Reich (if he wants to have any chance at the post season) to open the play book and see if JB can play less conservative, find the open receiver, and can make those down field throws. Then at least we find out one way or the other if JB is capable of being the guy , or if we have to go QB shopping. 

Yup. All teams have D'd us pretty much the same all year. The only way to change that, is to change what we're doing on O.  And honestly I don't care to make the playoffs if we're going to get boat raced by a team we can't keep up with. Our D is not good enough to shut better Os down.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

If JB was more established maybe 

There is a lot more to being a backup QB than playing

Heard he gives a killer foot rub.

15 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

No he is still being paid to be a role model for JB

If Brian Hoyer is JB's role model then I feel bad for JB.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I just want a suffocating defense like the 49’ers and a team that plays hard.  It’s hard to root for a team that plays like they have the last two games. I wish ballard would actually do something that would improve this team significantly.

What do you think his options are to do that at this point in the season? 

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Maybe maybe not. If you do that your basically giving up on Brissett next year. There is no way you can bring him back.

Just because you play CK a little, doesn't mean you can't bring JB back. And JB isn't an ego guy IMO. 

Bottom line, the last two losses don't knock us out. We control our own destiny in the playoffs race, so really JB is in control. CK won't see a minute if JB wins, not manages, games.

8 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

If they have no clue about CK by now FR, NS, and MB do not belong in the NFL as coaches

yawnnn......

All of the CK haters keep saying he can't be considered because he has no game experience, and his great pre-season performances and practice mean nothing....  So what is it. They know what they have because of practices and preseason? Everyone said JB was clearly better because of his "experience".... sounds a bit like convenient narrative reasoning.

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wasn’t talking this season. I just wish ballard would do a little more. 

I think if Luck was the QB you would have seen Ballard being more aggressive and potentially being open to more trade options; and a good play off showing would have helped open the purse strings even more this coming off season. 

When Luck retired we went from potential SB contenders in the later stages of a rebuild to evaluating the QB position & back to the middle stages of a rebuild.  He isn't going to spend draft resources when he may have to use most of it to acquire a QB.  

I really wish instead of bringing in Hoyer, we’d have brought in Matt Moore. He actually really held his team together when Mahomes went down and has kept them in the race. As far as journeymen QBs I’ve always thought he was underrated. He sure as hell could not have done worse than Hoyer. In his three games this year he shellacked the Broncos in relief of Patrick, lost to the Packers in a close fought game, and then beat the Vikings. As far as journeymen/relief QBs I don’t think you can find a better one than Matt Moore. 

Matt Moore relief stats; 2-1 record (loss to the Packer), 64% completion rate, 7.2 yards per attempt, 4 TDs/0 picks, 100.9 QB rating.

Brian Hoyer relief stats; 0-2 record (losses to the Mason Rudolph Steelers and a tanking Dolphins), 54% completion percentage, 5.7 yard per attempt, 4 TDs/4 picks, 65.7 QB rating. 

Help us Obi Wan Jacoby, you’re our only hope. 

3 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

will ferrell chill GIF

it is called faith and being a true blue Colt fan since I was 6 and being around the game in every aspect involved since 1978

So in other words, you have no reason. Throw science, analytics, data, and results out the window and hope for the best? As a coach, you should know we match up poorly Vs Jax. With our injuries, it makes it that much worse.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So in other words, you have no reason. Throw science, analytics, data, and results out the window and hope for the best? As a coach, you should know we match up poorly Vs Jax. With our injuries, it makes it that much worse.

Heck, we had issues winning in Jacksonville with Bortles as starter, and last year, the 0-6 game loss to freaking Cody Kessler, we just crap the bed every time we play there. I am not seeing this game with blue colored glasses for sure. 

• Like 1

Hoyer does have touch on the ball, but doesn't not have the arm to be throwing into these tight windows that he was trying all day. Esp double coverage more than once. 

Some really, really bad throws out there today. 

If you are going to put a gunslinger (w/o the arm) in there, at least let Kelly try and see what you have in him.

6 hours ago, ScotColt said:

If Brian Hoyer is JB's role model then I feel bad for JB.

He is a mentor for ( and even Tom Brady admits it ) everything a QB needs to do (every day, all week)

{me} ... except ... on actual field game production/results.

I've heard a saying- "Them that can... do. Them that can't... teach." 

{me} Which I interpret- Just because you are good does not mean you can teach others to be good. Likewise, just because you are not good (or never played) does not mean you can't teach others to be good.

Example: Charlie Weis - as a Coach ( never played any meaningful football )

6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Maybe maybe not. If you do that your basically giving up on Brissett next year. There is no way you can bring him back.

Not really. Colts gave JB7 a bump in pay because he was thrust into QB1, but it was a 'Let's see' deal, not a 'You're the Man' franchise package.  There's room for a competition... at the right time.