Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Week 10 impressions: Hoyer the Destroyer (merge)

Imgrandojji

That has to be one of the most pathetic performances I've seen from a colts Qb since the Curtis Painter era.

Can't blame the D.  Any time the D holds a team to 16 points they should expect to win the game.  This is 100% on the offense.  

Those of you who are skeptical of Brissett, take a good look.  THIS is what a bad game by a QB looks like.  Exactly 0 of the "bad" games by Brissett are as awful against awful competition as Hoyer was in this game.  There is no way a healthy Brissett delivers a stinker of this magnitude.

If Brissett gets healthy next week we ought to be able to salvage the season, if not, please dear God let Ballard have the intestinal courage to overrule Reich and make sure that Kelly gets the start.  After this game it's clear that Hoyer is not a valid option to start a game and is a literal backup at best.

I expected some problems throwing the ball.  Hoyer never had much of an arm and he's on the back 9.  I did not expect the terrible decision making.  I don't know how much of that is Reich and how much is Hoyer and I hope we never find out.  I notice Brissett kill a few play calls a game from the sidelines and now I'm wondering how many times a game he bails out the overcautious Reich by insisting on a more aggressive playcall.

Wow, I'm steamed.  Mad, frustrated, furious.  Also salty.  There's no reason we should have lost that game.  A mix of bad execution at QB and quite frankly (and one should never EVER use this word to describe a Head Coach) TIMID playcalling have brought us to the brink of .500.  This team is better than this!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I doubt Brissett sits next week, but if he does, I wanna see some $wag at this point. At the very least I think we would've seen some big gains on the ground from him.

Easy to overreact to a game like this when Hoyer played well last week, but it is what it is.  Hoyer is a literally average backup QB, if you put those guys on the field, they can do this to you in any single game.

Entirely possible that Kelly does the same thing to us, but at least if you gamble on raw talent you have a chance to be pleasant surprised.  Brissett is one thing, Hoyer should not be the reason Kelly isn't starting, and again I find myself chafing at the archconservatism of the Colts' braintrust.

10 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

That has to be one of the most pathetic performances I've seen from a colts Qb since the Curtis Painter era.

Can't blame the D.  Any time the D holds a team to 16 points they should expect to win the game.  This is 100% on the offense.  

Those of you who are skeptical of Brissett, take a good look.  THIS is what a bad game by a QB looks like.  Exactly 0 of the "bad" games by Brissett are as awful against awful competition as Hoyer was in this game.  There is no way a healthy Brissett delivers a stinker of this magnitude.

If Brissett gets healthy next week we ought to be able to salvage the season, if not, please dear God let Ballard have the intestinal courage to overrule Reich and make sure that Kelly gets the start.  After this game it's clear that Hoyer is not a valid option to start a game and is a literal backup at best.

I expected some problems throwing the ball.  Hoyer never had much of an arm and he's on the back 9.  I did not expect the terrible decision making.  I don't know how much of that is Reich and how much is Hoyer and I hope we never find out.  I notice Brissett kill a few play calls a game from the sidelines and now I'm wondering how many times a game he bails out the overcautious Reich by insisting on a more aggressive playcall.

Wow, I'm steamed.  Mad, frustrated, furious.  Also salty.  There's no reason we should have lost that game.  A mix of bad execution at QB and quite frankly (and one should never EVER use this word to describe a Head Coach) TIMID playcalling have brought us to the brink of .500.  This team is better than this!

I remember those Painter days :facepalm:

• Like 1

Just now, colt18 said:

I can’t believe some of you really thought Hoyer was good....we just lost to the damn Dolphins because of him. That game was a must win. We are probably out of the playoffs now.

Probably not quite that bad, but we've got to win the next few games to make sure we're more than a bubble squad

This is the flipside of a player like Hoyer. There is a reason he's a career backup. He's very volatile and about half of the time he will make enough stupid decisions and bad throws to lose you a game. 

It's kind of a miracle we had a chance to win that game with how bad Hoyer was. He stared down his receivers again after similar INT last week and it cost us again this week. I hope Brissett is healthy enough to play next week because for as conservative as he is, you know he won't lose you a game in this type of fashion. :( 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

I comfort myself that it looks like Brissett is on the way back maybe as early as next week.  Because I never want to see Brian Hoyer start for the Colts again.  

That was a must win game.

It was a must win. It's insane that we cannot win games when TY is out. I hate Hoyer RN

4 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Easy to overreact to a game like this when Hoyer played well last week, but it is what it is.  Hoyer is a literally average backup QB, if you put those guys on the field, they can do this to you in any single game.

Entirely possible that Kelly does the same thing to us, but at least if you gamble on raw talent you have a chance to be pleasant surprised.  Brissett is one thing, Hoyer should not be the reason Kelly isn't starting, and again I find myself chafing at the archconservatism of the Colts' braintrust.

The thing is ... with Hoyer the swings are kind of the expectation. This is what Hoyer has been througout his career... when it's his day he will make some great throws and might win you some games, but the other half of the cases he's quite capable of singlehandedly losing you games. I even said in the pre-game thread that the high variance nature of both him and Fitzpatrick make the chance that we will have a close game much higher than one would expect from a home game vs 1-7 team. 

I'm not sure how different Kelly would be to be fair. To me it's quite clear that Brissett is our best chance to win games right now. Hopefully he's healthy next week. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

The thing is ... with Hoyer the swings are kind of the expectation. This is what Hoyer has been througout his career... when it's his day he will make some great throws and might win you some games, but the other half of the cases he's quite capable of singlehandedly losing you games. I even said in the pre-game thread that the high variance nature of both him and Fitzpatrick make the chance that we will have a close game much higher than one would expect from a home game vs 1-7 team. 

I'm not sure how different Kelly would be to be fair. To me it's quite clear that Brissett is our best chance to win games right now. Hopefully he's healthy next week. 

Yeah, my only thing was that we really could've used some mobility at times. There were some plays where I thought Hoyer, had he been capable, could've run for big gains.

I know we won't see him get the nod over Hoyer though. Probably rightfully so, because like you say, there's always a chance Hoyer goes off. Oh well, hopefully we won't see either one of them the rest of the way.

Did he attempt to throw a pass beyond twenty yards of the LOS ? He has thrown how many interceptions in how many weeks. Poor decision making by a " veteran " QB . I question his ability to even manage a game , He has stalled out what was a promising season with a lot of help from a " once "  great kicker . If we can waive Deon Cain we can certainly move on from Brian Hoyer . ( Sarcasm intended )  

Hoyer sucked...plain and simple. Nobody ever said he was a good QB...he just happened to play well last week.

But let's not kid ourselves...he got no help today. Reich sucked...the OL sucked...Ebron sucked...one of those INTs was all him. And Pascal did too...and apparently struggled to get open without blown coverages and rub routes.

Your right about  Berssitt is not a starting QB, Hoyer is really not a starting QB, The Colt's need to put Chad Kelly in next week, all pre-season, His stats where the best of all the Quarterback who played in the preseason and that includes Bressitt. If the Colt's put Kelly in next week we got a lot better chance of winning the game, now if Hoyer is going to start and play next week, we will see the same thing again, Hoyer playing for the other Team and that's really going to be sad to watch.

Iceman38714 

• Confused 2

Cant overcome 3 ints and a missed extra point.  Almost impossible.

Still a 1 score game tho,  that's how bad the team we just lost to is.  Smh. 

Only question I have tho, is it still premature to panic or was in an * for believing in the first place? 

I'm still about 10 steps from the ledge the so I guess I'm ok.  But I'm walking that way.

16 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

a lot on this forum loved hoyer

That's fair. Personally I was confused when Ballard picked him up and then extended him. I think the Patriots were happy to let go of him to be honest. 

The market for a decent QB is nonexistent practically these days I guess...

15 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Hoyer sucked...plain and simple. Nobody ever said he was a good QB...he just happened to play well last week.

But let's not kid ourselves...he got no help today. Reich sucked...the OL sucked...Ebron sucked...one of those INTs was all him. And Pascal did too...and apparently struggled to get open without blown coverages and rub routes.

the o-line line is not living up to the media headlines

28 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

No, he has no WR’s. Get him some WR’s and it would have been OK. 

I kid, it was bad. Maybe a good thing for Colts fans though. Like they always says, sometimes you need to date a 3 to appreciate a 6. I bet we all appreciate JB a little more after today.

You hit the main problem...no top WRs. 

Pascal is the only decent WR (not great, but decent) and they covered him pretty closely. Doyle was the only other good option.  Ebron drops wayyy too many passes and has become unreliable.

As for Hoyer, he got whacked pretty good just before the half and I wonder if he got a mild concussion. Hindsight is 20/20 but I wonder what would have happened if Kelly played the 2nd half.