Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nose Tackle

coltnorth

If the Colts don't get one in the FA, which is what will probably happen (they wont get a NT in FA, due to nobody availiable), they should target Alamada Ta'amu in the draft, who is a big run stopping NT that draws many double teams.

i still think nevis can play NT

I hinted at this in another thread, people jumped all over me. The impression some people have is you have to be a tall guy to be a nose tackle. When really, you just need to play with leverage. Nevis is short, and can get under bigger guys, which gives him the leverage. Do I think we shouldn't get someone else besides Johnson and Nevis? Of course not, but to say Nevis absolutely can't play that position well because someone can't invision them playing a "big mans" role, is flawed and pretty narrow minded.

6'1 294 he is listed on the site here, we need a run clogger Im thinking Pagano wants 315 or more, Nevis would do better at defensive end if hes explosive defensive tackles are often guarded by the center and a guard at that size a guard would have no problem taken him down and swallowing him up, as we have seen with our undersized linemen for years now, maybe if we run the hybrid we use one 320 plus an the other DT more a explosive penetrator,, other then that in a 3-4 Ill take the 320 plus guy and take my chances, after seeing the colts get ran over, through, and around for the last 14 years

Id rather take my chances in big tackles, what happens when little man slams into bigger man 9 times out of ten from mere inches apart? little man loses, go back their is 14 years worth of proof of it, yes I know 294 isnt small but but 3-4 nose tackle standards it is, and yes Ratliff is a rare exception, but better linebackers around him at this point, we got Angerer but Im not old on the others

I hinted at this in another thread, people jumped all over me. The impression some people have is you have to be a tall guy to be a nose tackle. When really, you just need to play with leverage. Nevis is short, and can get under bigger guys, which gives him the leverage. Do I think we shouldn't get someone else besides Johnson and Nevis? Of course not, but to say Nevis absolutely can't play that position well because someone can't invision them playing a "big mans" role, is flawed and pretty narrow minded.

Hey man I've been saying this for the last couple months. People get enamoured by a guy's height and weight, yet fail to realize football isn't a game of measurables. It's a game of talent. Drake Nevis has talent, and as long as he can penetrate the backfield, he will play. They also don't realize that Nevis probably weighs more than his listed 290. I'd say he's around 310. But like I said, it doesn't really matter that much.

Id be willing to see just cause this season will be tough as I see it but I just dont see, especially after coming off an injury, but if hes got explosion then Id rather take him at defensive end we may need him more their if we release freeny cause of that cap hit, Ricardo Matthews showed some things at DT but I think he got injured last year, maybe he just declined and Im wrong about that but he could penetrate

To all the people saying that Nevis can play 3-4 NT. That's great if he could play, but I would like a guy who has played it before and has a big body for it. Nevis is a great player, but that's not his positon. Let him play 3-4 DE, and sign or draft a NT, let the NT do the job he's used to.

assuming we can sign them after our recent free agent signings

at this point I dont know how much money we have beyond the Luck signing, I hear we still can sing some of the people we need to get under contract but how much money is left

I'm not a cap expert, but if we are going to have ridiculous cap room next year we could sign players to back loaded contracts this year perhaps. That's my assumption however FJC or Frog could clarify that for us.