Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Running Game Struggles

BProland85

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I live in Colorado, and the Broncos look like garbage. Flacco may be the worst starting QB in the NFL, the Offensive Line is offensive, and Chubb is out for the year on the defense, so we just have to double team Von. I expect a decisive victory next week with a balanced offense and a nice pass rush!

Yeah I mean the Colts are looking at 5-2 in reality as of now. Still have to go out and win it though. Teams that start 5-2 hardly ever miss the playoffs. We are 90% at that point :thmup:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I live in Colorado, and the Broncos look like garbage. Flacco may be the worst starting QB in the NFL, the Offensive Line is offensive, and Chubb is out for the year on the defense, so we just have to double team Von. I expect a decisive victory next week with a balanced offense and a nice pass rush!

I'm trying to be humble about that Denver game, but I must say that team I saw on Thursday night football looked like a joke.  Denver looked like a hot mess offensively.

• Like 1

I would like to see them try more running plays to the right side of the o-line. I understand the strength of the o-line is to the left behind Nelson and Castonzo, but I would guess 90% of our runs are to the left or up the middle. I think we need to balance it out a little more. Getting a little too predictable.Glowinski and Smith on the right side are very capable run blockers as well. 

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I break wind in your general direction!

Glowinski was the problem on both run and pass plays.

Watch the film. It's a trend this year. I rewatch every game in slow motion and put in the time to see where every play was successful and where every play failed. 

He was blown up or simply had a swim move put on him on SEVERAL occasions. I think the other 4 OL are making up for him, but we need to draft another RG in the 1st or 2nd round this year behind pas rush/DE.

In this league good defenses can take away one thing you do very well by shifting either their coverage or stacking the box. Texans are a good enough D to be able to take away our running game if they go all in on stopping it. And when they do that the question becomes can you abuse the intermediate coverage they are drawing help away from in order to stop the run and Jacoby did great with that task in the game.

18 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Houston has a good line. That’s a Crennell staple. 

My issue is this:

We do a lot of telegraphing. We love to run the play where we motion Doyle inside, and then run in his direction. We ran it at least 3 times today. We’ve seen it in every game this year. The last two times we ran it today the Texans were ready and blew it right up. 

Maybe not running that same play the same way multiple times a game would be a decent idea. 

We may have intentionally telegraphed certain run plays for this game in preparation for our next meeting in Houston. The only constant in life is change.

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

I thought Mack looked a little indecisive yesterday and a step slow. Wilkins was running the ball very well. I’d have liked to see him have a few more carries. 

It's just his patient running style. Doesn't work as well when the offensive line doesn't open up holes though. Then you need a Wilkins type runner

14 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

It's not only the Texans DL that's good against the run...

Cunningham and McKinney are amongst the best run stopping ILBs in the league.

I remember one play to the left, I think it was the 4th down play, where whoever hit Mack, it was like a bullet coming his way...no chance to move forward.   They played the run D very well, not many holes.