Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

jets trying to force OL Kelechi Osemele to play with a torn labrum

Imgrandojji

If Osemele doesn't return to practice Saturday after sitting out nearly four weeks, he will be subject to a fine or a suspension for conduct detrimental to the team, a source said.

Osemele was cleared to practice by the team doctor and an independent doctor, the source said, adding that Osemele has a preexisting condition that can be addressed after the season.

Another source refuted the Jets' claim, saying Osemele wasn't cleared by two doctors and that surgery was recommended. The source also said Osemele had to take the painkiller Toradol, prescribed by the Jets' doctor, so he could play in the first three games.

Osemele's agent, Andrew Kessler, said in a statement to the Associated Press that the Jets are not handling his client's situation correctly.

"Kelechi has a torn labrum, there is no debate about this as every doctor who has evaluated him agrees about that,'' Kessler said. "He has been advised by the second-opinion doctor that the timing of the need for surgery is based on his symptoms. His symptoms currently dictate that he needs surgery. For the team to question the integrity of how he has told them he is physically feeling is disappointing, to say the least.

"It is hardly putting a priority on player safety.''

Sorce: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27874077/source-jets-dispute-extent-guard-kelechi-osemele-shoulder-injury

Kinda left wondering how many times this happens over the course of any given year on any given team and it doesn't come to light because the player doesn't complain.

personally suspect Osemele is making a business decision.  His body doesn't have many years left as an OL, and he'd rather be cut by the Jets and get the repairs he needs than ruin whatever he's got left in the future by playing for a loser.

I'm not familiar with details. However, while the team can fine for a player not following the team decisions, if he has doctor(s) that say he isn't in any condition to go out and play as the team demands... then the player has the advantage; IMHO.

I'll look up and keep tabs on this one...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So lemme see if I get this straight.....the Jets are trying to force a player, at a position where upper body strength is at a premium and whose primary function is to pound open holes for Leveon Bell and to help keep Sam Darnold from getting maimed..... to play with a torn labrum?

This is an illustration of the generational stupidity and instability of the NY Jets. :facepalm:

• Like 2

On 10/19/2019 at 10:15 PM, pacolts56 said:

So lemme see if I get this straight.....the Jets are trying to force a player, at a position where upper body strength is at a premium and whose primary function is to pound open holes for Leveon Bell and to help keep Sam Darnold from getting maimed..... to play with a torn labrum?

This is an illustration of the generational stupidity and instability of the NY Jets. :facepalm:

While I do agree with you lets not forget Andrew Luck played with this injury on his throwing shoulder for a solid portion of a season.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

While I do agree with you lets not forget Andrew Luck played with this injury on his throwing shoulder for a solid portion of a season.

Also Vontae Davis said that he was cut from the Colts because there was a disagreement between his doctor and the team doctor on the need for surgery on an injury and he went and got surgery.

This IMO seems to be a problem with the NFL and the NFL needs some rules regarding it.  Injuries like concussions should be reviewed by an independent doctor not on the payroll of the team.  If the independent doctors are saying a player needs surgery, the team and the NFL need to respect that.