Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts still need a safety. Who will it be?

Hoose

I figure the Colts are still in the hunt for a safety. They could get a decent one like Hooker or Gardner Johnson by trading up in the 4th using the extra 5th round pick as the chip. Otherwise I suspect these guys will be long gone by the time the Colts pick in the 4th. Any thoughts out there on who, how, and when this might happen?

Could be a project pick late or a STs type.  We’re actually pretty good at S, with three legit guys and no matter what people think about Odum, he played better as the season went on.  

Still, it wouldn’t break my heart to hear Deionte being called first today

4 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Any idea what the character issues with G-J might be? I’ve read that here but haven’t seen it anywhere else. 

I also havent seen anything on him (Other than here)

He was a second round draft crush for me

But..... I believe Hooker from Iowa could contribute as well

Also...... Tre Boston had a good year, last year.  If we dont get Hooker or Gardner.......  Maybe bring him in (Or bring back Mike Mitchell..... Is he on the roster still?)

17 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Gardner-Johnson is falling because of character concerns so as much as I like him, I doubt he's the pick. Hooker would be great but I bet he goes early. Malik Gant of Marshall could be a guy to watch.

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson.

Somewhere, Peter Sellers is grinning with self-satisfaction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Could be a project pick late or a STs type.  We’re actually pretty good at S, with three legit guys and no matter what people think about Odum, he played better as the season went on.  

Still, it wouldn’t break my heart to hear Deionte being called first today

I just listened to Ballards conference and he said "We like our safeties". And he mentioned Geathers and for the 2nd time about George Odum and his "upside". Also mentioned Mathias Farley. Im getting a bit skeptical we are or were ever looking for a safety.

• Like 1

Tell - USC - speedy cf type with cb skills

Gant - Marshall - thumper

Hooker - Iowa - all-around type

Depends on what they are looking for though?

Odum is going to turn some heads this year so I'm betting they are not looking for a starter as they have Geathers, Fairley, Odum, and Kindred already plus Hooker. That is 5 guys who have all started and performed at average or above average in the past.

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Gardner-Johnson is falling because of character concerns so as much as I like him, I doubt he's the pick. Hooker would be great but I bet he goes early. Malik Gant of Marshall could be a guy to watch.

If its character related the 4th round and below is where you make a pick like that.

Yup, really like CGJ but doubting we'll pick him with the rumored character concerns. We had him in for a visit so I wonder if we saw him it firsthand, possibly even just outright took him off the board. Or like most guys with red flags, Ballard won't touch them until the 6th or so.

21 minutes ago, krunk said:

I just listened to Ballards conference and he said "We like our safeties". And he mentioned Geathers and for the 2nd time about George Odum and his "upside". Also mentioned Mathias Farley. Im getting a bit skeptical we are or were ever looking for a safety.

You could argue that Cornerback was in a similar position before they took The Rock. Several players they are high on together with the entrenched starters. I still think a Safety is high on the Colts’ wish list. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

And that’s why what they say rarely matters.  Good pick!

WE BLEW A CHANCE TO FIELD PARIS HILTON AND THE HOOKERS!!!

I'll never forget what could have been!

Just now, GoDeep said:

WE BLEW A CHANCE TO FIELD PARIS HILTON AND THE HOOKERS!!!

I'll never forget what could have been!

Of course my next band is now named.

5 hours ago, Hoose said:

You could argue that Cornerback was in a similar position before they took The Rock. Several players they are high on together with the entrenched starters. I still think a Safety is high on the Colts’ wish list. 

Or, dare I say, two?