Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts interested in Seattle DE Frank Clark? (merge)

7 hours ago, Two_pound said:

I don't get it. Trade away Dee Ford, then trade for Frank Clark? And then hand him that contract. That seems like a lose-lose for the Chiefs.

{Not trying to single you out alone, there are several others that have the same outlook}

What is not to get?  The Chiefs hired a new defense coordinator.  He runs a 4 - 3 scheme, not a 3 - 4 like they ran before.  They are retooling / revamping the defense.

Now we get to Dee Ford and Frank Clark.  Who is a better 'fit' at hand in the dirt Defensive End for Spagnuolo's 4-3 to go along with Chris Jones?

Frank Clark- 6' 3" and 265 lbs, 26 years old (who might be the best pass rusher this side of Mack)

Dee Ford-     6' 2" and 240 lbs, 28 years old?

Then add Tyrann Mathieu and Bashaud Breeland to their secondary with Kendall Fuller.  Even the oldest, Breeland, is only 27.

This is a team getting their new D coordinator guys he wants and feels he can succeed with. In 2007, that was sometimes lining up 4 true DE's on the D line in 3rd and long (NY Giants - Strahan, Tuck, Kiwanuka, and Umenyiora). I'm sure the Chiefs aren't trying to become the next inept 1 - 31 team.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think KC could of got better deal if they would of just traded up in the draft for their own guy. If the colts are going to give up draft capital it’s better to move up in the draft and try to get  your own guy that will be a long time colt.

And wait two or three years to see if he is a stud. Don't think so.

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

And wait two or three years to see if he is a stud. Don't think so.

Yup!  And... there is no financial discourse in the locker room.  The Chiefs had purged both Justin Houston and Dee Ford along with their massive salaries / cap hits. (Ford had been Franchise tagged).

Clark is a better prototype / fit for Spag's 4 - 3 as well.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

What is not to get?  The Chiefs hired a new defense coordinator.  He runs a 4 - 3 scheme, not a 3 - 4 like they ran before.  They are retooling / revamping the defense.

Now we get to Dee Ford and Frank Clark.  Who is a better 'fit' at hand in the dirt Defensive End for Spagnuolo's 4-3 to go along with Chris Jones?

Frank Clark- 6' 3" and 265 lbs, 26 years old (who might be the best pass rusher this side of Mack)

Dee Ford-     6' 2" and 240 lbs, 28 years old?

Then add Tyrann Mathieu and Bashaud Breeland to their secondary with Kendall Fuller.  Even the oldest, Breeland, is only 27.

This is a team getting their new D coordinator guys he wants and feels he can succeed with. In 2007, that was sometimes lining up 4 true DE's on the D line in 3rd and long (NY Giants - Strahan, Tuck, Kiwanuka, and Umenyiora). I'm sure the Chiefs aren't trying to become the next inept 1 - 31 team.

Finally, someone who sees it. 

This one was all about the fit in the new Spags' 4-3. Guys like Clark probably are going to be in more demand because they can line inside and outside in a 4-3. Dee Ford was a liability in the run game unless he played LEO. He cannot play SAM because he does not set the edge well and I posted an article that highlighted some of his flaws, against a team he will play twice in his new division: https://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/the-strengths-and-weaknesses-of-dee-ford/

That is why I feel that guys like Christian Wilkins and Jerry Tillery will be in more demand when their rookie contracts are done, because of their versatility, assuming they both hit their ceilings in the NFL. 

• Like 1

I see what you are saying, I've never been a Frank Clark guy, and I do think Ford would be just as effective as a DRE as Clark. Ofcourse, we'll never know how Ford may have done in the new system. The Chiefs must really believe in Clark though, to throw him that kind of money.