Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts interested in Seattle DE Frank Clark? (merge)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2832517-nfl-trade-rumors-seahawks-frank-clark-linked-to-chiefs-jets-colts

There is some talk the Colts may be interested in Seahawks DE Frank Clark, but is he really worth giving up a 1st rounder for? He was franchise tagged after the season. IF a first rounder is what it will take, the only way I say pull the trigger on this is doing a sign and trade deal. Let Ballard negotiate a contract extension before finalizing the trade. 36 sacks in 3 years is not to shabby. 

So first rounder for a 25 yr old DE or no? What does everyone thing?

Give our first as long as we get there third round if they got one. Ballard loves picks.

So, our 1st for Clark and there 3rd. We don't lose the number of picks and Ballard mentioned he really likes rounds 2-4. We will have 5 between those rounds.

4 minutes ago, Legend said:

Take this info with a grain of salt.

Well sure, especially this time of year.....  Any proposed Clark deal is contingent on tons of things.... him signing a new contract, after signing his tender, what pick is traded.... who is available when that pick is up.....etc....  not to mention, it's simply doing your due diligence to check on a player at a position of need that may be available.....  

I really do NOT see this happening. Clark will be extremely expensive. I don't think he's worth it. And Ballard is going to build through the draft. I can't see him giving up either pick 26 or 34.  And #59 probably doesn't get the job done. 

4 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I really do NOT see this happening. Clark will be extremely expensive. I don't think he's worth it. And Ballard is going to build through the draft. I can't see him giving up either pick 26 or 34.  And #59 probably doesn't get the job done. 

You don't worry about paying top dollar for top tier production, especially at Edge, and QB.....  that said, who knows if Ballard will trade for him.  If it is a move that clearly helps get a round or 2 deeper in the playoffs, you'll most likely love Irsay paying Clark a premium.  Guy's only 25, if they think he's clean and past his issues, and they believe he's their guy, lock him up for 4 or 5 years, and the huge amount today, will be average halfway through the deal....  and you are out maybe the 2 you got from NY?  

• Like 1

• Superman changed the title to Report: Colts interested in Seattle DE Frank Clark? (merge)
14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We could give up the 26th because we still have the 34th.  Maybe we then get a 3rd round from the Seahawks. I would not do this until draft day though. What if a edge you like falls to 26. 

I think you're right about it being a draft day trade with whatever teams that may trade for Clark. I would want to see my options first before pulling the trigger on a trade like this.  I wouldn't be against a possible trade with the Colts but I wouldn't bet on it either. Clark turns 26 this year and is probably going to demand a monster contract. 

This doesn't add up, IMO.

Clark has a troubled past, with multiple questionable events and comments through the years. It would cost at least a top 50 pick, maybe more, to trade for him. And he wants a long term contract for at least $20m/year; reports are he wants at least what Demarcus Lawrence got.

Doesn't seem like a Ballard kind of situation.

I believe the Colts reached out to the Seahawks to find out what they want, and maybe they even asked for permission to talk to Clark's agent to find out his contract demands, but I'd be very surprised if the Colts traded for Clark, knowing his history and his contract demands.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Superman said:

This doesn't add up, IMO.

Clark has a troubled past, with multiple questionable events and comments through the years. It would cost at least a top 50 pick, maybe more, to trade for him. And he wants a long term contract for at least $20m/year; reports are he wants at least what Demarcus Lawrence got.

Doesn't seem like a Ballard kind of situation.

I believe the Colts reached out to the Seahawks to find out what they want, and maybe they even asked for permission to talk to Clark's agent to find out his contract demands, but I'd be very surprised if the Colts traded for Clark, knowing his history and his contract demands.

I agree overall but worth pointing out that it was Ed Dodds that did most of the leg work on Clark when Seattle decided to draft him: 

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/seahawks-insider-blog/article26343166.html

"I think it was a process. The most interesting thing is that I was there two days after it happened, so our area guy went through there twice. Ed Dodds, our regional scout, went through their twice and went back and spent several days there. Like I said, the easiest thing to do is completely dismiss this. I think over time things became clearer and clearer as things built up through the evaluation process. We brought him out here, too, and met with our sports psychologist, and like I said, it was very extensive and built over time.”

It's probably dangerous to extend the same leniency to Ballard, but at least we know that one of our main execs is one of the people that gave the OK to Seattle when they were drafting Clark. 

I can sort of see the sense in this move. At the very least gathering information.  I've been saying all along I didn't feel that strong about the pass rushers in this draft class who would be available at our pick.  Not too many outright game wreckers.

27 minutes ago, stitches said:

I agree overall but worth pointing out that it was Ed Dodds that did most of the leg work on Clark when Seattle decided to draft him: 

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nfl/seattle-seahawks/seahawks-insider-blog/article26343166.html

It's probably dangerous to extend the same leniency to Ballard, but at least we know that one of our main execs is one of the people that gave the OK to Seattle when they were drafting Clark. 

The character is just one piece of the puzzle. Drafting a player with question marks is one thing, bringing him in and making him your second highest paid player (ever) is another.

• Like 2

On 4/21/2019 at 1:33 PM, TheNextGM said:

I’d rather use 26 and 59 to move up and get an Edge guy.. draft a CB or WR with the early second.. 

If you are lucky, that gets you to spot #16, but more likely #18.  Is your guy still there?

14 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

This ^^^^

If Ballard is going to make a high-impact move with our #26 pick to acquire an EDGE guy.... then let it be for Brian Burns in the 10-15 range if he's there and we can work something out.

That is going to cost even more than the above.  A lot more.

14 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

But between his DV history, Seattle's 1st round demand and the contract he will want..... I'd avoid Frank Clark like the plague.

Agree.

3 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

I have no doubt the Colts have expressed interest, but I also have no doubt that if the asking price is more than the perceived value Ballard has placed on him he won't pull the trigger. 

My Guess? Interest would be let Brian Decker evaluate him before any further talks.

I don't buy the rumours.  The #1 question I would have is why is Seattle trying to unload him? He is 25 and pretty consistent.  He seems to b an ascending player.  Every GM and scout has always said elite pass rushers don't hit the market. If they r trying to get rid of him, I would b very leary. And I find it funny that Seattle is trying to trade him, but apparently wants  a kings ranson. If u don't want him, why would I?!!?? I find it so funny when a team wants to trade a guy they don't want , but wants multiple picks in return.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't buy the rumours.  The #1 question I would have is why is Seattle trying to unload him? He is 25 and pretty consistent.  He seems to b an ascending player.  Every GM and scout has always said elite pass rushers don't hit the market. If they r trying to get rid of him, I would b very leary. And I find it funny that Seattle is trying to trade him, but apparently wants  a kings ranson. If u don't want him, why would I?!!?? I find it so funny when a team wants to trade a guy they don't want , but wants multiple picks in return.

Bears and Khalil mack

23 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Salary cap. They're up against it this year, and they have a lot of free agents next year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We could give up the 26th because we still have the 34th.  Maybe we then get a 3rd round from the Seahawks. I would not do this until draft day though. What if a edge you like falls to 26. 

I don't think you can wait until draft day.  Clark needs to agree to terms before any GM trades for him.  Not to mention he has to sign his tender as well.  I don't think Ballard would come to terms with Clark and agree to a trade but ask the Hawks to wait until draft day because we can't do it because our first choice is a college player we are hoping falls to us.  And then Ballard backs out and the Hawks are left holding the bag so to speak.  I can't imagine their GM agreeing to something like that.  I can't see Ballard doing that to a GM.  I think if everything is agreed to you do it ASAP. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Salary cap. They're up against it this year, and they have a lot of free agents next year. 

Your right Superman, That's why Ballard's approach to save some cap to sign already existing players for us is wise. The core who makes our team makes since," If they make the grade", is better than this constant revolving door of too many players you groom to be on your team to jump ship,  after you put a lot time in these guys. I know there will always be turn over, but the less the better for the continuity  of your team.