Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay now the "steward" of John Lennons' piano

Lucky Colts Fan

1 hour ago, Nadine said:

I saw his collection room a few years ago.  He's got some presidential letters so, it's not just music stuff

I got to visit the practice facility a few years ago and went into a room where they kept his “overflow” collection. In addition to all the Colts (including Baltimore) memorabilia he had items like a letter from Charles Manson, original movie scripts, and if I remember right, the original manuscript for On the Road.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

https://www.wthr.com/article/indianapolis-colts-owner-says-he-bought-lennon-piano-1

I don't care what other people say about our owner.  Irsay is a pretty cool dude.  :rock:

This is bound to drive certain haters in the media crazy.  Hopefully he'll put it with the "On The Road" manuscript which is, in my view, and incredibly positive way to revere and protect pieces of history.   That album is considered by many as their greatest work and something that other artists such as Brian Wilson of the Beech Boys said inspired them to up their game when he came out as a follow up with one of his own masterpieces in response.  It's not uncommon for wealthy people to buy up history, from Roman and Egyptian ruins to famous Sports balls and uniforms to fans buying chairs from stadiums they used to love.  If I had NFL level money, I would college famous letters and autographs of important inventors and heroes throughout time.  I think those types of things are better than just another new sports car I would rarely if ever drive.  

What would you guys collect if you had that kind of money?  

• Like 2

On 4/21/2019 at 6:58 PM, JPFolks said:

If I had NFL level money, I would college famous letters and autographs of important inventors and heroes throughout time.

That's a pretty cool idea.  :hat:  Who do you consider heroes?

On 4/21/2019 at 6:58 PM, JPFolks said:

What would you guys collect if you had that kind of money?

I would probably nerd-out and try to collect first-edition epic-fantasy books.  Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, Kingkiller Chronicles, Malazan Book of the Fallen, etc.

Oh and as much historic Colts memorabilia as I could get my hands on!  :coltshelmet:

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 4:35 PM, crazycolt1 said:

One of three pianos used for the final note of A Day In The Life.

That's pretty cool.

Very cool.  I might have listened to Sgt. Pepper more than any other album by any other artist.

It's one of those albums that gives me very vivid flashbacks (not drug-related haha) to being in 7th grade and sitting at home listening to that album over and over while I did my homework.

paul mccartney beatles GIF

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Very cool.  I might have listened to Sgt. Pepper more than any other album by any other artist.

It's one of those albums that gives me very vivid flashbacks (not drug-related haha) to being in 7th grade and sitting at home listening to that album over and over while I did my homework.

paul mccartney beatles GIF

Yeah, IMO Sgt. Pepper changed the game for a lot of artist. At the time there was nothing like it and it's no wonder some think it's may be the greatest album ever made as far as influence.

Only Dark Side Of The Moon can compare to the popularity.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah, IMO Sgt. Pepper changed the game for a lot of artist. At the time there was nothing like it and it's no wonder some think it's may be the greatest album ever made as far as influence.

Only Dark Side Of The Moon can compare to the popularity.

My dad's favorite band was the Beatles so I listened to that album a lot too as a young kid. Regarding Pink Floyd, I thought when The Wall came out it was like the greatest thing ever invented. The 80's had definitely arrived then :thmup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My dad's favorite band was the Beatles so I listened to that album a lot too as a young kid. Regarding Pink Floyd, I thought when The Wall came out it was like the greatest thing ever invented. The 80's had definitely arrived then :thmup:

Yeah Pink Floyd was recording their debut album The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn at the same time the Beatles were recording Sgt. Pepper in different studios at EMI in 1967.

• Like 1

Interesting man and GREAT owner.  Has hired great people and let's them do their job.  And most important, you can tell how much he truly loves his team.  It's not just a hobby.  He's imperfect sure, but he's done this team and us fans proud. 

7 minutes ago, cbear said:

Interesting man and GREAT owner.  Has hired great people and let's them do their job.  And most important, you can tell how much he truly loves his team.  It's not just a hobby.  He's imperfect sure, but he's done this team and us fans proud. 

I think one of the saddest days for Jim and the Colts was when he had to cut Peyton. Those were real tears Jim had running down his face. He has always carried his emotions out in the open showing his love of his team.

Personally I can't imagine wanting a different owner than Jimmy.

I say Jimmy because he was 12 years old when Robert bought the Colts and that is what most of us knew him as.

• Like 2