Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is Ballard and Reich's teambuilding philosophy similar to Eagles?

Whilst I am fully aware that Ballard learnt under the likes of John Dorsey and Jerry D'Angelo, and that I'm not saying that Ballard is building this team the exact same way as Howie Roseman, I found that by watching this video there were some quite big similarities and if there were, then it may have some implications on our drafts (given that this is how Ballard wants to build this team):

For those who haven't/ can't be bothered to watch all of it, Kollmann breaks this roster building for the Eagles into 5 five points, and there is evidence to suggest Ballard have some of these strategies himself and thus have an impact on our draft strategy:

1. Starting, backup and "currency" QBs are important

Colts Evidence: Trading to ensure that Luck had a good back up/starter in a pinch with Brissett

Possible Implications:  Ballard may look to trade Brissett to accumulate draft capital, it may even mean he could draft a QB later in the draft to ensure he has a good backup for QB

2.Commit high value resources in O and D line

Colts Evidence: This is the easiest to prove, drafting a lineman with 4 out of 5 first picks in last year's draft, as well as signing Houston and Autry

Possible Implications: It may be likely that a lineman (more likely D line) will be drafted with our first pick, as we have met with numerous top Dlinemen (e.g. Jeffrey Simmons, Brian Burns, Dexter Lawrence etc), it may also indicate we draft Oline within the 1st 2 days ( we are reportedly high on BC's Chris Lindstrom)

3. Spend money/resources at safety and not Corner

Colts evidence: Drafting Malik Hooker with his first pick (arguably BPA but there were still other good defensive players on the board) reportedly in the market for the top FA at safety with Landon Collins and Adrian Amos, also hasn't spent a huge amount of resources on Corner (except a 2nd round pick on Quincy Wilson), found Moore and Desir off Waivers, also didn't address Corner position in last year's draft despite arguable need

Possible Implications: It is likely that we take a safety relatively early in the draft (most likely day 2) as we have met with a few safety prospects (e.g. Abrams, Savage, CGJ), if we were to address corner-it'll be likely a later day 3/ possibly UDFA route

4.Right tackle is just as important as left tackle

Colts Evidence: Although he was projected as a guard for the NFL, Braden Smith was initially tried out at RT (maybe due to importance of position) 

Possible Implications: To go along with point 2, it may indicate that we may target O line even if it isn't considered a huge need, perhaps demonstrated by us looking at tackle prospects like Greg Little and Kaleb McGary

5. Be ready to adapt and change

Colts Evidence: With the dominance of people like Aaron Donald, JJ Watt, Fletcher Cox etc Ballard drafted Nelson (despite perceived value of Guards) and looked to fortify interior, emphasis on speed on defense with a more passing league

Possible implications: ???

So what do you think? Is Ballard and Reich's teambuilding philosophy similar to that in Philly and if so, what implications do you think this will have on our draft (be it this one or future ones?)

• Like 4

Good post.  

Ballard has repeatedly said he could kick himself for not originally seeing how great Reich was as a coaching candidate.  I believe he says that after their very long interview, because he found out just how similar their beliefs are in team building and overall concepts and vision. So I would say that absolutely are overlapping ideas for hey are using.

Yeah, good post! And another way in which the Colts might be similar to the Eagles is in their use of analytics. I've been listening to some podcasts with Warren Sharp and he puts the Colts front office right next to the Pats and the Eagles when it comes to using advanced analytics as a tool to improve decision making on several fronts - when it comes to

- Spending in free agency

- Draft strategies and especially hoarding picks(implication: trading back might be an option again), believing that volume of picks is important because of not having the hubris to think they are significantly better at evaluating the talent(even though they might be).

- using analytics in game management, playcalling, end of game situations, 4th down decisions, etc.

- etc. 

First,  good post.   Others have said so,  and I'm joining them.   Very good post.

But...   I'd say your point #4,  that the Colts think RT is just as important as LT.    I don't believe your "evidence" makes that point.   Not at all.   All I think you've shown is that we do indeed value the RT spot seriously.   And we might indeed use another high draft pick on the OL despite not having a clear and obvious need. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Except they didn't trade for Brissett to ensure Luck had a good backup, otherwise they would have done it much earlier than a few games into the season thinking they already had a starter....

The Colts DIDN'T make the trade for Brissett a few games into the season.

The trade was made at the start of the season.   Week 1, right around the final cut downs.    We gave  Brissett a week or two to try to get up to speed.     But we didn't wait on the trade.     We made it when teams are willing to do deals --- right around cut down day.

• Like 1

A lot of teams are "more active" than the Colts are when it comes to trading and free agency.   They are at the point in their building of their program where it makes more sense.    Their closer to having the team they want.

The Colts aren't there yet.    Ballard has a vision for his program.   He's got another year and a half of building.    The upcoming draft,  and the 2020 free agency period and the 2020 draft.  

After all that,  Ballard will be more willing to do more trades and sign more free agents.   Ballard himself has said so.    But not before the program is built to his satisfaction,  and the locker room is filled with the type of people he wants and the talent level is filled with lots of younger players on more cost controlled contracts.

Patience is key.....

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Colts DIDN'T make the trade for Brissett a few games into the season.

The trade was made at the start of the season.   Week 1, right around the final cut downs.    We gave  Brissett a week or two to try to get up to speed.     But we didn't wait on the trade.     We made it when teams are willing to do deals --- right around cut down day.

forgot about that....  was post - preseason, not post-start of reg. season.  Thanks!  

• Like 1