Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 WR draft / film notes

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

JJ Arcega-Whiteside just ran 4.49 official at Stanford's pro-day... Absolute win for him. 

@Superman Thoughts? 

Someone actually had him clocked at 4.38 initially and I was about to go insane, but then the official times came in and this was more reasonable even if still surprisingly fast. 

He won't last into Round 3, based on this, IMO.

Like I said Rounds 2 and 3 will be the best talent of this draft obtained at best value.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

This draft seems like its just raining WRs.  Even if you wait until the 4th round to get one you will likely get a very good prospect.   I don't feel the same way about the Edge Rushers. I feel like after Round 1 and maybe parts of 2 I don't see a whole lot of guys that I'm really in love with.

Maybe that is why Ballard went ahead and signed Justin Houston for the edge rushing. Turay, Sheard, Houston, and a bit of Lewis.

Then we can choose project players like Cominsky, Jelks, Banogu to develop.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Maybe that is why Ballard went ahead and signed Justin Houston for the edge rushing. Turay, Sheard, Houston, and a bit of Lewis.

Yeah or go ahead and bring Shane Ray in.  I don't see much I like out of this flock if we don't get one very early.

Just now, krunk said:

Yeah or go ahead and bring Shane Ray in.  I don't see much I like out of this flock if we don't get one very early.

That is why I suggested that if Brian Burns does get to No.21, move up and give up a 1st and 3rd to the Seahawks who don't have a 2nd rounder, to get him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The guys that I do kind of like are more Sheard types of players like Omenihu.

Just now, krunk said:

The guys that I do kind of like are more Sheard types of players like Omenihu.

These coaches seem to be very keen on player development, so I do like the upside of a Cominsky or Jelks or Banogu to coach up with good base athletic traits.

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

sn9wkLC.jpg

Now, remind me what was the average range of RAS for Ballard's picks last year???

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

These coaches seem to be very keen on player development, so I do like the upside of a Cominsky or Jelks or Banogu to coach up with good base athletic traits.

Now, remind me what was the average range of RAS for Ballard's picks last year???

It was high. Ballard likes athletes, which is understandable having in mind his defensive scheme is based on athleticism and aggression. 

From the WRs:

Cain's was 6.49

Fountain was 8.03

• Like 1

Player A:

6'3 3/4

220 pounds

33 1/2" arm length

9 7/8" hands

4.42s forty

43 1/2" vertical

140" broad 

6.77s three cone

4.07s short shuttle

12 reps bench

Player B:

6'3 3/8

228 pounds

34 7/8" arm length

9 7/8" hands

4.33s forty

40 1/2" vertical

134" broad

7.38s three cone

4.5s short shuttle

27 reps bench

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

Player A:

6'3 3/4

220 pounds

33 1/2" arm length

9 7/8" hands

4.42s forty

43 1/2" vertical

140" broad 

6.77s three cone

4.07s short shuttle

12 reps bench

Player B:

6'3 3/8

228 pounds

34 7/8" arm length

9 7/8" hands

4.33s forty

40 1/2" vertical

134" broad

7.38s three cone

4.5s short shuttle

27 reps bench

player B is Metcalf... who is player A? Miles Boykin? 

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

Player A:

6'3 3/4

220 pounds

33 1/2" arm length

9 7/8" hands

4.42s forty

43 1/2" vertical

140" broad 

6.77s three cone

4.07s short shuttle

12 reps bench

Player B:

6'3 3/8

228 pounds

34 7/8" arm length

9 7/8" hands

4.33s forty

40 1/2" vertical

134" broad

7.38s three cone

4.5s short shuttle

27 reps bench

Current NFL Player J

6’2.75" Height

220 pounds

33.75" arm length

9.75" hands

4.34s forty

38.5" Vertical Leap

135" Broad Jump

6.66s three cone

4.25s short shuttle

Bench: 17

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

player B is Metcalf... who is player A? Miles Boykin? 

Yup. And I didn't include the production because it would have been even more of a giveaway for Metcalf. But here it is:

Metcalf 2017: 39 catches, 646 yards, seven TDs

Metcalf 2018: 26 catches, 569 yards, five TDs

Boykin 2017: 12 catches, 253 yards, two TDs

Boykin 2018: 59 catches, 872 yards, eight TDs

Yet Metcalf is a consensus top 20 guy, while Boykin is a late Day 2 / Day 3 guy. So I watched Boykin, and I like his tape better. Metcalf is more physical, and he has that high gear that shows up on tape, while Boykin's speed is less noticeable, but Boykin is more refined is almost every area. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yup. And I didn't include the production because it would have been even more of a giveaway for Metcalf. But here it is:

Yet Metcalf is a consensus top 20 guy, while Boykin is a late Day 2 / Day 3 guy. So I watched Boykin, and I like his tape better. Metcalf is more physical, and he has that high gear that shows up on tape, while Boykin's speed is less noticeable, but Boykin is more refined is almost every area. 

To be fair to Metcalf in 2018 he only played in 7 games and got injured in the 7th... so 6 and a half. He very likely would have gone over 1000 had he stayed healthy. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Current NFL Player J

6’2.75" Height

220 pounds

33.75" arm length

9.75" hands

4.34s forty

38.5" Vertical Leap

135" Broad Jump

6.66s three cone

4.25s short shuttle

Bench: 17

Looks like Julio to me, except his forty was 4.39, from what I see.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 2:38 PM, chad72 said:

He won't last into Round 3, based on this, IMO.

Like I said Rounds 2 and 3 will be the best talent of this draft obtained at best value.

I don't know, those 3 cone drill, vertical and broad jump numbers are pretty bad for a WR.  His 3 cone would not have placed him in the top 15 TEs at the combine, let alone the WR and his vertical and broad jump would have kept him out of the Top 5 at the combine (again among TEs).

Why am I comparing him to TEs?  Because I am trying to stave off the argument that his numbers are good for someone his size.  His 40 was good but that is really about it.

https://orangeandblue760.iheart.com/content/2019-04-16-nfl-draft-analyst-for-the-athletic-dane-brugler-on-orange-blue-760/

Dane Brugler said in this podcast that the Colts really like AJ Brown and might take him with 26 or 34 if he's there. This is of note, because Brugler seems to be one of the analysts who know Ballard personally and has credited Ballard for his view on football players. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Superman said:

Boykin is a bit of enigma to me. Not because of really anything he's done, more because of the situation he played in. His first years with Wimbush were limited because of guys playing in front of him (St Brown) and what time he had was also limited because Wimbush had big time accuracy issues. In his last year, he had Wimbush to start, then had to quickly grow chemistry with Book after the switch. Book was crazy accurate short/intermediate, but lacked long ball skills.

I think he would really excel with a guy like Luck. I think his 40 speed is a little misleading, but he does a really good job using his body and being physical with the catch. It would be interesting to see him be able to actually run under a long ball for once. 

On 4/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, stitches said:

Here's PFF's WR ranking video:

The sleeper they have is Diontae Johnson from Toledo. He's interesting... he's playmaker after the catch. 

@Superman They compared Deebo to DJ Moore, too... 

Like'd their point about AJ Brown taking over X (from slot) once DK when down). Wouldn't be the pure vertical threat DK was, but is probably the most well rounded WR, and can play X or Slot.

I like Deebo better than Moore, a Moore was pretty darn good last year as a rookie.

I like the thought of Johnson. Able to play outside, but also was a great PR.

I think they need to consider the balls that Boykin actually got last year, compared to what type of routes and balls he should be getting (for his size and speed).

I really want Isabella the more I hear about him, and the more I watch his tape. I think between him, Johnson, and Boykin, those are three that will be seen as steals in this year's draft. 

4 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Like'd their point about AJ Brown taking over X (from slot) once DK when down). Wouldn't be the pure vertical threat DK was, but is probably the most well rounded WR, and can play X or Slot.

I like Deebo better than Moore, a Moore was pretty darn good last year as a rookie.

I like the thought of Johnson. Able to play outside, but also was a great PR.

I think they need to consider the balls that Boykin actually got last year, compared to what type of routes and balls he should be getting (for his size and speed).

I really want Isabella the more I hear about him, and the more I watch his tape. I think between him, Johnson, and Boykin, those are three that will be seen as steals in this year's draft. 

Deebo and Isabella are my top two as far as value goes in this draft. Might not be the best overall but the best value IMO.