Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Betting The Farm On Luck

subvet

OK, everything of value from the last decade is pretty much history now so Irsay is all in on Andrew Luck. If it pans out, he's a genius, if it doesn't he's a fool.

Big gambles reap big wins so what free agents will be out there to back up the new QB to make this bet a winner?

OK, everything of value from the last decade is pretty much history now so Irsay is all in on Andrew Luck. If it pans out, he's a genius, if it doesn't he's a fool.

Big gambles reap big wins so what free agents will be out there to back up the new QB to make this bet a winner?

I think you may be over-exaggerating. Or do you mean that our roster, as it exists today, contain nothing of value?

Aside for manning, I see losing freeney as our only real loss. Those other were just trimming the fat. What's funny is almost every player cut has been bashed by fans and they either wanted to trade them, cut them or bench them. Now when it's done it's all Colombia and doom.

Here comes the thumbs up or thumbs down view. Are there no other choices? I truly don't think he will be thought of as either a fool or a genius. He is the owner of an NFL franchise. He has to make decisions that take into consideration of all facets of maintaining a healthy franchise. If he ran it like a fan, the franchise would nose dive in a few short years.

Subvet, you said everything of value is gone. Are you just being sentimental? Where did that value come from? It started with the guy at the top. The reason why this team had exuded such class for the last 14 years is because the man at the top hired class individuals who brought in class coaches who would choose class players. Our greatest value IS Mr Irsay. He will build another team that is successful. The reason why is he has to. This is a very spoiled fan base, and rightly so, that needs to have another dominant decade. It would not happen with the players that have recently been cut.

Luck could fail and Manning could end up not playing this season because of his arm and Irsay will have still made the right move. The only way Irsay will look dumb is if Manning plays for another five years at Manning level and Luck is a bust. Even then what can we do? Just tear down and rebuild again. As a Cub fans I can't tell you how many times I've watched them rebuild over the years and have nothing close to the success that the Colts enjoyed with Manning. That's why I enjoyed the Manning success so much there is no promise it'll happen again.

I have some issues with Irsay's need to relegate our entire offense to beginner status.

I totallly see this as an Irsay "ego issue" .... not a problem ... yet.

Jimmy failed horribly early in his GM career. Now I think since Polian and Manning made "everyone" look good ..

Luck could fail and Manning could end up not playing this season because of his arm and Irsay will have still made the right move. The only way Irsay will look dumb is if Manning plays for another five years at Manning level and Luck is a bust. Even then what can we do? Just tear down and rebuild again. As a Cub fans I can't tell you how many times I've watched them rebuild over the years and have nothing close to the success that the Colts enjoyed with Manning. That's why I enjoyed the Manning success so much there is no promise it'll happen again.

True. Back in 98 there was nothing saying that manning would have the seccess he had either. Ryan leaf, came out all rg3 guns a blazing and had a monster season and was the over favorite that year. Glad we took manning. Love what he did for us and for our team. Wouldn't mind seeing him finish off his career elsewhere but I am really really excited about luck.

Just imagine, going into last year before we knew the extent of mannings injury I didn't think we had a snow balls chance in heck of getting him. Another thing, say manning comes back healthy for another 4-5 would we ever be back in the position to draft a qb on lucks level. Do your research. He is right there with cam newton athletic wise, and right there with arm strength and smarts as manning. Now, will he have the drive manning did to take his game to a whole new level. I'm willing to go all in with luck, father was a qb. Peyton's was also. Their storys are very similar.

I think you may be over-exaggerating. Or do you mean that our roster, as it exists today, contain nothing of value?

Wasn't trying to exaggerate and not that the team contains nothing of value but many of the familiar names are either gone or going soon. A great deal of value exists on the Colts team, it's just the starting lines are going to change drastically.

Wasn't trying to exaggerate and not that the team contains nothing of value but many of the familiar names are either gone or going soon. A great deal of value exists on the Colts team, it's just the starting lines are going to change drastically.

Then it must have been my poor interpretation skills.

I guess you were not exaggerating, and you did not mean to convey that nothing of value remains, when you said:

OK, everything of value from the last decade is pretty much history now so Irsay is all in on Andrew Luck.

;)

Then it must have been my poor interpretation skills.

I guess you were not exaggerating, and you did not mean to convey that nothing of value remains, when you said:

;)

Pretty much does not mean all. I will try to be clearer in the future.

Here comes the thumbs up or thumbs down view. Are there no other choices? I truly don't think he will be thought of as either a fool or a genius. He is the owner of an NFL franchise. He has to make decisions that take into consideration of all facets of maintaining a healthy franchise. If he ran it like a fan, the franchise would nose dive in a few short years.

Subvet, you said everything of value is gone. Are you just being sentimental? Where did that value come from? It started with the guy at the top. The reason why this team had exuded such class for the last 14 years is because the man at the top hired class individuals who brought in class coaches who would choose class players. Our greatest value IS Mr Irsay. He will build another team that is successful. The reason why is he has to. This is a very spoiled fan base, and rightly so, that needs to have another dominant decade. It would not happen with the players that have recently been cut.

I apparently wasn't clear in that when I say "pretty much" I do not mean all, I apologize for any misunderstandings this caused and I will try to speak in more specific terms in the future.

I was not going negative, I love the Colts and understand the necessity for changes like this, but in my haste to write my posting before I had to leave, I used unclear language which made it look like something else entirely.

I apparently wasn't clear in that when I say "pretty much" I do not mean all, I apologize for any misunderstandings this caused and I will try to speak in more specific terms in the future.

I was not going negative, I love the Colts and understand the necessity for changes like this, but in my haste to write my posting before I had to leave, I used unclear language which made it look like something else entirely.

Cool man, didn't mean to misread you. These are the interaction realities that happen on the internet. I like your posts. I'm just a little overwhelmed by all the anger directed at the franchise that I love so much. My apologies as well. BTW, my dad was offered sub duties during the Korean war but turned it down.

Very little. Peyton has been carrying the Colts for years. Maybe that's what caused his neck problems. Better hope Luck has a strong neck and back and that he can get rid of the ball very quickly.

Very little. Peyton has been carrying the Colts for years. Maybe that's what caused his neck problems. Better hope Luck has a strong neck and back and that he can get rid of the ball very quickly.

Well hopefully TPTB dont built our team completely one sided around him like they did Manning. And dont get me started on the coaching staff. I truely believe we are in the mists of building a really special team. I see another 10 plus years of greatness on the horizon.

Well hopefully TPTB dont built our team completely one sided around him like they did Manning. And dont get me started on the coaching staff. I truely believe we are in the mists of building a really special team. I see another 10 plus years of greatness on the horizon.

Did you buy that crystal ball from Colts.com, or from the shop?

Wow. And here I always thought that PM's neck issues resulted from a particularly vicious hit he took in a Redskins game. I never thought that his neck issues that damaged his nerve resulted from the continuous carrying of 52 other players.

Go figure.

Wow. And here I always thought that PM's neck issues resulted from a particularly vicious hit he took in a Redskins game. I never thought that his neck issues that damaged his nerve resulted from the continuous carrying of 52 other players.

Go figure.

I saw the hit and agree it was major but think it was the last straw.....and having to carry 52 teammates!!

Getting back to your question....

IMO.... OG Ben Grubbs and the best NT we can afford should be the priorities, subvet.

Reason 1 is because the best friend a rookie QB can have is a solid, consistent rushing attack that starts with good run blocking... two terms strangely foreign to Colts fans for many years.

Reason 2 is that I'm a big fan of building the offense and defensive lines from the inside out. Amidst and against the "passing league" mentality that is everywhere, we were eliminated from playoffs 2-3 times during the Manning era, IMO, by the combination of an out of balance "pass first" philosophy and just plain lack of the ability to run the ball and stop the run against playoff caliber teams.

It's still a game of keep-away.

Now.... I don't mean we should turn into a "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense.... I just mean we need balance on both sides of the ball.

IMO... the foundation of that starts "down the middle" with the interior of both lines, and there are some solid accomplished veterans who could help quicken this rebuild. It's there that I think any FA dollars would be best spent.