Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stupid play calling on last possession

masterlock

19 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I can't believe people think Reich was calling for short throws.  A few things... one, there are other receivers.  What routes did they run... were they 'open'?  Doesn't the QB have the ability to-

1. go through progressions... hit the most open receiver

2. change a play... get out of a bad play and into a good play

The QB in 2 minute drill mode is as/more important then the HC/OC.  The Colts prior drive deep into Eagles Redzone showed Luck's skills at moving the team a long way in a short period of time.

At the Colts beginning of the last drive, the Eagles radio announcers called it before it happened.  They mentioned the Eagles would play off and force short plays and Colts would try to get far enough downfield in the minimal time left to attempt a Hail Mary.  It exactly played out that way.

Below is the Colts final drive against DET in 2012. Colts need a TD to win. They have 1:00, no TOs and 80 yards to go. Granted, 1:00 is more than :43...but the point remains...he was aggressive...and the Colts won. 

Instead dinking and dunking...he attacks the defense and threads the need to move the ball 30 yards downfield. That pass changes the whole drive.  

After a couple more plays, he is able to get the ball all the way to the 15 in a little more than :40 seconds...which was the time he would have had in this game. He doesn't score in thatt time...but he would have put the Colts at about the 25-30 yard line...which means they could have run a play and not a 60 yard hail mary...and would have been in a far better position.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/indianapolis-colts/0ap2000000104289/Luck-s-game-winning-drive

6 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Below is the Colts final drive against DET in 2012. Colts need a TD to win. They have 1:00, no TOs and 80 yards to go. Granted, 1:00 is more than :43...but the point remains...he was aggressive...and the Colts won. 

Instead dinking and dunking...he attacks the defense and threads the need to move the ball 30 yards downfield. That pass changes the whole drive.  

After a couple more plays, he is able to get the ball all the way to the 15 in a little more than :40 seconds...which was the time he would have had in this game. He doesn't score in thatt time...but he would have put the Colts at about the 25-30 yard line...which means they could have run a play and not a 60 yard hail mary...and would have been in a far better position.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/indianapolis-colts/0ap2000000104289/Luck-s-game-winning-drive

First, that was Bruce Arians playbook (Air Coryell).  Chunk plays were the norm, and practiced.  Lions Defense then in 2012 was not nearly as good as The Eagles D in 2018.  Luck ran the ball a lot on that Liolns drive.  Reggie Wayne is a HOF (or very near) receiver. Luck was fresh, never injured...  just so many things not comparable.

Since you bring up such diverse comparisons, then I ask-

What happens if Luck throws that fade to (young healthy) Reggie Wayne instead of Hilton?

In a prior game, what happens if Luck throws and completes a pass to Dallas Clark instead of (a fumbling) Doyle?

I also heard Luck threw for a TD (missed) when he had plenty of room to step up and run up for a 1st down, in the red zone.

On 9/26/2018 at 9:46 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

I have been avoiding this thread.  I figured with a title like that it would include at least a couple, probably a few people who have no understanding of football or how to play the game and then try to claim by not doing it their way the Colts were not playing to win but playing to not lose.

But I finally broke down and read this thread.  I don't know if I should say I WAS NOT disappointed or I WAS disappointed.  I was NOT disappointed in that the thread was exactly was I thought it would be.  I was disappointed in that there are still people, who claim to be football fans, yet have no understanding at all of situational football.  I mean my word, one poster actually made the statement that the coverage doesn't matter, :realitycheck:  Come on, what kind of *ic statement is that?

Glad you chimed in. I think it goes way beyond the non-understanding of situational football. Lets take a common stat...a completion. The success of that completion can hinge upon (but not limited to)

The OC calling he right play

The QB reading the presnap D

The QB staying with or changing that play at the line

The linemen knowing the play called

The skill players knowing the play called

The linemen hearing the changed play at the LOS

The QB correctly managing the play clock

The center getting a good snap or hike

The WR/RB/TE running the correct route or doing their job in protection

This is the point where most fans give the QB credit or criticism for a complete pass. 

I mean, feel free to criticize for what ever stat you want, but at least try to understand how many people affect that stat. 

• Thanks 1

I agree for most of that possession, but that play wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Turns out Ebron was open, Luck just couldn't get it to him.

We definitely should've ran the ball more though. We drafted Nelson high in the draft for a reason. Run behind him in the redzone.

These are growing pains tho, it's necessary for the team to get those mistakes out now. Hopefully we have a good game against Houston, then we have NE next Thursday...the defense seems to be consistently solid, we just the offense to be up to par. I think we can compete with any team in the league at our best.

On 9/26/2018 at 6:56 PM, shastamasta said:

Lions where not in a complete prevent defense.  Up until the last play you see several Lions defenders (not just the defensive linemen) lined up within 10 yards of the ball.  About 5 or 6 yards.  

Look at the picture supplied earlier in the thread.  No one is within 10 yards of the ball other then the DL.  Eagles where lined up a lot deeper then Lions where.  

Forget the final drive, let’s talk 3rd down inside the 5 after moving the ball at will!  The Eagles sold out on the pass, The Colts obliged 2 straight times which = no brainer!  3 yrds, 2 plays which is why I thought QN was drafted so high?  RK, QN sure could get 3 yrds in 2 plays but no sniff!  I get it if the box was stacked but with no MACK, Eagles gambled & easily won!  It was clear this Staff has no confidence in the rookie rb’s & won’t w/o a bell cow rb ligning up behind Luck!  Mack or Bell anyone?  If Mack is on the AC wagon, let’s give up a 3rd for Bell because this passing attack will continue to struggle w/o an elite back.  Sorry Wilkins supporters