Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rick Venturi on JMV

coltsfeva

33 minutes ago, SteelDragon said:

Just because he had a horrendous W-L record does not mean he doesn't have knowledge to impart

for sure, I just questioned the blanket statement that someone who wasn't able to even remotely achieve even brief periods of success over a 35 year career must know more than the folks running the team now.  

7 hours ago, Shafty1313 said:

for sure, I just questioned the blanket statement that someone who wasn't able to even remotely achieve even brief periods of success over a 35 year career must know more than the folks running the team now.  

I tend to agree. Personally I don't get why so many think he is all that great breaking down the players in the NFL. What he does relay is knowledge that most NFL fans already know.

He may sound like he knows what he is doing to the casual fan who don't know the game inside out.

17 hours ago, Shafty1313 said:

he was an interim coach and the team had no talent when he was here

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I tend to agree. Personally I don't get why so many think he is all that great breaking down the players in the NFL. What he does relay is knowledge that most NFL fans already know.

He may sound like he knows what he is doing to the casual fan who don't know the game inside out.

I know the game pretty well and I learn something from Venturi every time I hear him on the radio.

18 hours ago, Shafty1313 said:

So you think it's a: Those who can coach, those who can't do radio shows?

I like Venturi ok and he does seem to know what he's talking about and I'm sure if Reich or ballard were able to talk candidly to the media I would enjoy listening to them more but they are always in "coach speak" or "GM speak" to the media.  At least Venturi doesn't have to try and sugar coat things.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He has a lifetime record of 3-48 in college and the pros.

That is kind of hard to explain away under any circumstances.

i cant comment on his college career, but i doubt there were many coaches that could have won with that 91 colts team

i also learn something from him almost every time i listen to him on the radio, hes pretty technical on there.  i think he is a little too dry to be good at color commentary though 

• Like 1

Plenty of players and coaches who are analysts who had losing records.  Doesn't mean they don't know anything about the subjects they speak.  At the end of the day if the coach could make every player execute perfectly what he wanted them to do then that coach probably wouldn't have had the record he had.  A lot of things go on with each circumstance that may be outside of the coaches control.  And then to add to the conversation there's plenty of coaches who are successful who were terrible players of the game when they played it. Or they didn't play the game at all.  One doesn't mean you'll be bad at the other.

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I like him because he pointed out that Jack Mewhort was one of the slowest Olineman around during a period of when everyone was raving about him, early on.  I thought Venturi observed something I did, so I  thought he was astute. 

18 hours ago, Shafty1313 said:

Right??? Last I checked our new HC drew up 500+ yards of offense in a Super Bowl victory last year. One guy belongs on an NFL sideline, the other guy belongs in a guest radio slot on JMV every Monday. I'm not interested in any overlapping of the 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He has a lifetime record of 3-48 in college and the pros.

That is kind of hard to explain away under any circumstances.

The only way you can explain is that he is more of a quality control type of guy who is astute in examining plays, Xs and Os, but not so proficient elsewhere in the application of it or on the coaching side. Jon Gruden started off as a quality control guy too but had the charisma,  play calling skills, and relationship qualities to make the transition and an impact as a HC.

That is my best educated guess. Or he could have just been the wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time too many times. :) 

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So you think it's a: Those who can coach, those who can't do radio shows?

I like Venturi ok and he does seem to know what he's talking about and I'm sure if Reich or ballard were able to talk candidly to the media I would enjoy listening to them more but they are always in "coach speak" or "GM speak" to the media.  At least Venturi doesn't have to try and sugar coat things.

Not at all, I think Rick is a top notch analyst and reporter for the team.  A huge asset for us as fans.  If you READ the post I originally replied to, and then my reply.  I was referencing the claim that he could run the team better than those currently doing so, which, when he was given a chance to run ANY part of a team, the team has failed, every, single, time.