Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Training Camp 8/13/2018

TKnight24

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

AC is different. I was likely premature on that one.  

Swoope has shown flashes but really nothing else.  I don't think we should waste roster spots on injury prone players. Swope has played in 4 games since he was signed in 2014... out of a possible 48 games (not counting post season, preseason or 2014 when he was on the practice squad the entire year).  I get he was a project, we're starting year 5 of this project and we have 15 catches to show for it.  No, its time to cut the guy if he's hurt.  

Cut him because he missed practice?  He played the Seahawks game and has done well the entire training camp.    Some people just like to call for peoples heads for no real good reason.  Do you even know if he's officially hurt?  Or maybe they could be resting him like they've done with other players after all these physical practices.

The tight ends showed up in a big way on Sunday, catching big pass after big pass. Doyle, Eric Ebron, Erik Swoope and Ross Travis each logged major plays on the day, with Swoope making plays all over the field — one from Luck down the right sideline, one from Brad Kaaya in traffic where he had to jump and come down with the pass in heavy traffic, one from Brissett, and then another big catch during 7-on-7 work from Kaaya.

https://www.colts.com/news/2018-coltscamp-notebook-day-13-tight-ends-shine-as-colts-drill-end-of-game-situa

23 minutes ago, krunk said:

Cut him because he missed practice?  He played the Seahawks game and has done well the entire training camp.    Some people just like to call for peoples heads for no real good reason.  Do you even know if he's officially hurt?  Or maybe they could be resting him like they've done with other players after all these physical practices.

The tight ends showed up in a big way on Sunday, catching big pass after big pass. Doyle, Eric Ebron, Erik Swoope and Ross Travis each logged major plays on the day, with Swoope making plays all over the field — one from Luck down the right sideline, one from Brad Kaaya in traffic where he had to jump and come down with the pass in heavy traffic, one from Brissett, and then another big catch during 7-on-7 work from Kaaya.

https://www.colts.com/news/2018-coltscamp-notebook-day-13-tight-ends-shine-as-colts-drill-end-of-game-situa

I'm saying IF the injury means he's gonna miss any substantial game time.  He's literally caught 15 passes across 4 seasons in the league... 

42 minutes ago, krunk said:

Dilly, Dilly!

You all are acting like I said to cut TY... good grief, we're talking about a guy who's played in just 4 games!! 4 games out a possible 48... with 15 catches across 4 years! Don't believe me, look up the stats for yourselves.  If the dude is hurt and missing games, he benefits your team in no way. If that same dude is missing 90 percent of the games due to injury year after year after year, it's time to let him go.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm saying IF the injury means he's gonna miss any substantial game time.  He's literally caught 15 passes across 4 seasons in the league... 

It was a rest day for Swoope. T.Y. Hilton, meanwhile, was out at practice today but didn’t do a whole lot, but it was more of a maintain day for the veteran wide receiver.

https://www.colts.com/news/2018-coltscamp-notebook-day-14-secondary-shines-on-physical-day

There's the answer to your question above!  No injury issue

• Thanks 1

You all are acting like I said to cut TY... good grief, we're talking about a guy who's played in just 4 games!! 4 games out a possible 48... with 15 catches across 4 years! Don't believe me, look up the stats for yourselves.  If the dude is hurt and missing games, he benefits your team in no way. If that same dude is missing 90 percent of the games due to injury year after year after year, it's time to let him go.

You talking about a 3rd string tight end bruh calm down lol

1 hour ago, krunk said:

It was a rest day for Swoope. T.Y. Hilton, meanwhile, was out at practice today but didn’t do a whole lot, but it was more of a maintain day for the veteran wide receiver.

https://www.colts.com/news/2018-coltscamp-notebook-day-14-secondary-shines-on-physical-day

There's the answer to your question above!  No injury issue

He's had ten months of rest already for crying out loud. Heck they don't even practice everyday now. 

15 catches... but of those 15 catches it seems as if he was always making a big play.  We all want health and I understand it’s like “dude, practice!”, but.. that’s the beauty of having the depth right now at TE, as well as 3 more weeks/games of preseason.  I don’t understand the rush to drop guys,  especially with the possibility they may end up going with 4 TE’s (I feel like you somehow have to keep Daniels which may just be that Fullback/blocking role/roster spot?).

i just have a hard time... because I always say, it’s like sports fans expect their teams to win the battle at every position on every snap/possession, every single play of the game...and if they don’t and get beat and give up a play or make a mistake it’s “he sucks” or “cut him”, and sometimes you just have to give credit where it’s due to the other team.

And I know this is about injury / Swoope missing practice so not trying to go off but I think it relates as far as the dramatic response to any and everything here, and not even only here as Colts fans, but as die hard fans in general, of any sport.

It’s hard to win, at anything in life, and I think we are just spoiled as fans so I love the passion, but sometimes I just don’t understand what people want or expect. 

3 more weeks of preseason and I’m excited to watch these 6 TE’s battle for the 3/4 spots.. better than whining about not having enough options..

5 hours ago, csmopar said:

I agree that at a certain point, you have to cut bait and run. I don't think those kind of decisions are critical at this time of the year.

Part of the benefit of having expanded rosters in the preseason is the added flexibility. Sometimes you can bring guys in and evaluate them closely, sometimes you can groom a project with some patience (which is what they've been doing with Swoope), and sometimes you can be patient with a player who is struggling with injury. 

I don't know if Swoope is struggling with injury right now. He had a knee operation last year, and they're probably being cautious with him. I think he's probably out of chances at this point; if he can't stay on the field I doubt he makes the team. But I don't think there's any reason to worry about it in Week 2 of the preseason. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, csmopar said:

AC is different. I was likely premature on that one.  

Swoope has shown flashes but really nothing else.  I don't think we should waste roster spots on injury prone players. Swope has played in 4 games since he was signed in 2014... out of a possible 48 games (not counting post season, preseason or 2014 when he was on the practice squad the entire year).  I get he was a project, we're starting year 5 of this project and we have 15 catches to show for it.  No, its time to cut the guy if he's hurt.  

I have no idea where you get your stats but I would stop using whatever site it is you are pulling from.  He played in every game in 2016 and 1 in 2015.

Now to other facts / logic - he was a project that took nearly 2 years to make it onto the active roster.  He flashed some really nice ability in 2016 averaging damn 20 yards per catch.  He then gets hurt in 2017 and misses the season.  It's football and that tends to happen.  I don't think that classifies him yet as injury prone or a waste of a roster spot.

I could be wrong on this but I also believe his missed practice days so far this year have primarily been planned rest days.  I guess we will see tonight if he is out there again.

So pump the brakes.  You were WAY premature with the AC nonsense.  This is slightly less nonsensical with Swoope but still in the nonsense category. 

4 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

I feel like turay is going to have a career like Swoope. Shows flashes but always hurt. Big reach by CB imo 

The man got hurt 1 time last year and the rest of the way they gave him rest at different points during OTAs and yesterday.  He hasn't been hurt again and he played against the Seahawks and practiced on the weekend.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I have no idea where you get your stats but I would stop using whatever site it is you are pulling from.  He played in every game in 2016 and 1 in 2015.

Now to other facts / logic - he was a project that took nearly 2 years to make it onto the active roster.  He flashed some really nice ability in 2016 averaging damn 20 yards per catch.  He then gets hurt in 2017 and misses the season.  It's football and that tends to happen.  I don't think that classifies him yet as injury prone or a waste of a roster spot.

I could be wrong on this but I also believe his missed practice days so far this year have primarily been planned rest days.  I guess we will see tonight if he is out there again.

So pump the brakes.  You were WAY premature with the AC nonsense.  This is slightly less nonsensical with Swoope but still in the nonsense category. 

NFL.com...

2014: Signed as a undrafted FA. Practice Squad

2015: 1 game played, No receptions No yards

2016: 16 games, 15 catches. 297 yards

2017: 0 games, IR'd

Stats speak for themselves.  in 4 seasons, he has a combined 15 catches, all from a singular season.  If he's hurt for any length of time, he does this team ZERO good.  I hope I'm premature and he's ready to go and plays lights out all season, but if he's hurt again, time to waive him. 

NFL.com...

2014: Signed as a undrafted FA. Practice Squad

2015: 1 game played, No receptions No yards

2016: 16 games, 15 catches. 297 yards

2017: 0 games, IR'd

Stats speak for themselves.  in 4 seasons, he has a combined 15 catches, all from a singular season.  If he's hurt for any length of time, he does this team ZERO good.  I hope I'm premature and he's ready to go and plays lights out all season, but if he's hurt again, time to waive him. 

Your first post said he played in 4 games in his career which was wrong.

Further, is it not plainly evident that the 2014 and 2015 seasons you are holding against him for his lack of production were the result of him simply learning to play the game?

And I fully understand that if he is hurt for any length of time that he helps the team not at all.  That does not need to be explained.

49 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Your first post said he played in 4 games in his career which was wrong.

Further, is it not plainly evident that the 2014 and 2015 seasons you are holding against him for his lack of production were the result of him simply learning to play the game?

And I fully understand that if he is hurt for any length of time that he helps the team not at all.  That does not need to be explained.

i misread the stat, i got the games played and games started mixed in my original post.