Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Franchise Tag?

Clock is ticking. Need to be tagged by 4:00 p.m.

Will Colts use it?

FAs are signing around the league. Are the Colts even negotiating with theirs?

If it's all waiting on the Peyton decision, then they need to go ahead and make the Peyton decision.

I agree. Or at least lock up someone who is necessary to the team, no matter who is throwing the footballs in 2012.

On the other hand, if you don't have to use the franchise tag, it's better not to do so simply because of the immense burden it places on the salary cap. However, if you've got someone who you really want to keep around and you're having a hard time getting a deal done---use it and keep your guy.

Clock is ticking. Need to be tagged by 4:00 p.m.

Will Colts use it?

FAs are signing around the league. Are the Colts even negotiating with theirs?

If it's all waiting on the Peyton decision, then they need to go ahead and make the Peyton decision.

I would franchise Reggie Wayne..

Cheaper than Mathis.....and we can make a longterm deal with Garcon

Obviously making a long-term deal with Garcon is no easy task especially since he turned down a nice one already.

I am sure there are tons of things going on inside the Colts front office that we can't have any knowledge of....I'd put money on that they have been working around the clock for days now to resolve a Manning situation AND other important players/factors with the franchise.

The good news is the Manning saga is almost ready to be resolved (or so we think....)

Piere didn't turn down the contract, he just simply hasn't signed it. Marshawn Lynch of Seatle knew about the contract he signed weeks before he actually inked it. Based on what Stevie Johnson just got with the Bills, Piere will eventually come to terms with his deal and sign it, IMO. The tag has to come down to Reggie and Mathis. IMO, I'd tag Mathis. Wayne would then be back if Peyon does and we would have some how kept Manning, Wayne, Mathis, and Garcon...that would be some pretty niffty management on behalf of Mr.Grigson if he can get all that to fall together. Best of luck to whom ever stays and whom ever leaves Indy, GO COLTS!!!!!!!

Cheaper than Mathis

yeah, it would be cheaper. but you have to look at production, and keeping the core 1-2 punch of our D intact, even if/when we do go 3-4/4-3 hybrid.

Wayne can finish out his career somewhere else. make Garcon happy (not too happy), and look to draft or FA to build back the receivers.

I've just been following Shefter and LaCoforna (sp?) on twitter. So far today, Stevie Johnson and Arian Foster have signed deals.

Lions DE Cliff Avril, Jags K Scobee, Buccaneers OL Zuttah, Seahawks RB Lynch have been in the news as well. Check out the NFL General section for most of this stuff. Several people keep that updated from multiple sources, so it's probably your best bet.

Piere didn't turn down the contract, he just simply hasn't signed it. Marshawn Lynch of Seatle knew about the contract he signed weeks before he actually inked it. Based on what Stevie Johnson just got with the Bills, Piere will eventually come to terms with his deal and sign it, IMO. The tag has to come down to Reggie and Mathis. IMO, I'd tag Mathis. Wayne would then be back if Peyon does and we would have some how kept Manning, Wayne, Mathis, and Garcon...that would be some pretty niffty management on behalf of Mr.Grigson if he can get all that to fall together. Best of luck to whom ever stays and whom ever leaves Indy, GO COLTS!!!!!!!

That's a good point, coach....

Just because you didnt sign doesnt mean you turned it down.

He' s probably waiting on the 'tag' deadline and the Manning situation..

That's a good point, coach....

Just because you didnt sign doesnt mean you turned it down.

He' s probably waiting on the 'tag' deadline and the Manning situation..

I am not so sure - I think he is waiting for the Manning decision for sure, but he is also waiting to hit the open market so some desperate team will massively over pay him for his speed (something the Colts should NOT do because of his drops and flat out inconsistent play over the past few years). I do not think anyone on this team has given me more headaches over the past few years than Garcon. He flashes moments of absolute brilliance (see Washington one handed grab 2010), but then drops the easy slant across the middle to move the chains (see Super Bowl).

Does anyone actually believe the Colts are doing nothing but waiting around for the Peyton decision? As we've seen, time and again this off-season, these front offices are multitasking like crazy. They just happen to be really good at keeping quiet about it. 99% of the fanbase had no idea about Bounty-Gate, for example, yet the NFL revealed that it's been an ongoing investigation for the last two years.

The Colts FO has been focusing on the Tag just as much as anything else. If they don't use it, I promise it will have nothing to do with Peyton.

I think we have to franchise either Garcon, Mathis, or Reggie. We cannot let all three of them hit the door - I know we are "re-building," but you cannot rebuild an entire team at nearly every single position in the span of one off-season.

I am not so sure - I think he is waiting for the Manning decision for sure, but he is also waiting to hit the open market so some desperate team will massively over pay him for his speed (something the Colts should NOT do because of his drops and flat out inconsistent play over the past few years). I do not think anyone on this team has given me more headaches over the past few years than Garcon. He flashes moments of absolute brilliance (see Washington one handed grab 2010), but then drops the easy slant across the middle to move the chains (see Super Bowl).

So which is it? Possibly franchise Garcon paying him $9.4 million (which IMO is over paying for him) or let some other team over pay for him? Or is $9.4 million not overpaying for Garcon to you?

So which is it? Possibly franchise Garcon paying him $9.4 million (which IMO is over paying for him) or let some other team over pay for him? Or is $9.4 million not overpaying for Garcon to you?

I would absolutely not franchise Garcon, or pay him 9.4 million. To be frank, I would be fine if he walks. I think we need to use the franchise tag on Mathis, or if we can get a deal done with him, then use it on Reggie. I think Reggie provides more WR skill than does Garcon, and also provides more intangibles like leadership, veteran presence in the locker room, and potentially helping ease the transition of a rookie quarterback (obviously that is predicated on if Peyton leaves).

Potentially, but Mathis has also already said publicly that he would not be happy if he was franchised.

well if he doesn't get a new contract doneby four he's going to have to deal with it.

Most would be free agents aren't going to be happy to be tagged because you aren't going to be able to talk to other teams to drive your price up and pretty much can only talk to one team. It limits options.

With that said there is a huge difference between not being happy about being franchised and being ticked off about it.

well if he doesn't get a new contract doneby four he's going to have to deal with it.

Most would be free agents aren't going to be happy to be tagged because you aren't going to be able to talk to other teams to drive your price up and pretty much can only talk to one team. It limits options.

With that said there is a huge difference between not being happy about being franchised and being ticked off about it.

Exactly right, GoC;

The tag for a DE is high and that money is still green..

Agreed. I think it may be in the Colts best interest to franchise him anyways. He is 31, and not proven to excel in the 3-4, so this could give them a year to see if he even fits the system.

Cheaper than Mathis.....and we can make a longterm deal with Garcon

colts already tried a deal with garcon he turned it down. the same kinda deal colston was looking for to be exact. garcon feels he needs to be paid #1 WR money.

Lets hope Mathis signs by 4:00PM to a long term deal then we could franchise Wayne. Don't franchise Garcon, not a #1 WR so why would you pay him that money.

I think if we get a deal done with Mathis we wont use the franchise tag. It's not required that we do.

Frankly I think the Colts have already made the call to let Reggie Wayne walk and I think Reggie Wayne figured this out during the season which is why he said what he was saying last year.

This team is rebulding even if Peyton Manning comes back. Yes having Peyton will speed that process up but it's not going to happen in one off-season regardless of who the QB is. Yes with Peyton we are better than the 2-14 team that was on the field on last year but let's not kid ourselves either having Peyton Manning did not make last year's team a 13-3 team that was on it's way to the Super Bowl either. This team has a serious issue with a lack of talent and that's what last year exposed which is why the GM was fired. They need new younger talent. Resigning a 33 year old WR and tieing up the money that could be used on other younger players to help rebuild the team isn't going to help that. That's why I think it's more likely that the Colts over pay to bring Garcon back than it is that we keep Wayne.

Mathis fits the franchise tag because he's at an age where you can give him one last big contract and use him to rebuild your defense around and still get some use out of him in two to three years when the rebuild is done.

With Wayne though I think the Colts view it as they can have Wayne or Garcon but not both and I think they would rather have the younger player in Garcon who will be here probably honor the contract who can be a stop gap number one WR for a seaosn while they get the ture number one WR probably next year in the draft.

This is where missing on Ugoh has killed us. It cost us in that draft, it cost us a first round pick the following year and then this past year we had to take an OT in the first round when we probably would have taken a WR to be groomed to replace Wayne.

If we're signing a 31-year old vet defender...we're playing for now

Irsay said he would take care of mathis and Wayne

Where did Irsay say that? I saw him list the off-season priorites as Mathis and Garcon and no mention of Wayne.

Also signing a 31- year old vet defender is not always a sign we are playing for now it means you are playing for them to be good in the next five years when Mathis would probably be at the end of the career. Clearly keeping Mathis will help now but it's not like you can't sign Mathis and still retool the team with Luck or Manning and still get your money out of him.

You have to have something to lean on while you retool the defense. Rather than making more spots to fill the Colts are going to lean on their pro-bowlers in Mathis and Freeneys on defense going forward.

Rebuilding doesn't mean you give away ALL your good players. If you have one that can give you some good beyond a year or two then you keep them even if you are rebuilding. Mathis fits that regardless of what direction the Colts are going with the franchise. With that said you don't fire GM and head coach and tool around with releasing a player like Peyton Manning if you aren't in some form of a rebulding mood.

Agreed. I think it may be in the Colts best interest to franchise him anyways. He is 31, and not proven to excel in the 3-4, so this could give them a year to see if he even fits the system.

I think they are going to keep talking to him after he's franchised. I think it's very likely that they sign a new contract with him after the tag has been placed on him. The tag has more or less become a negotation tool teams use to buy more time to make sure they can get a long term contract done.

Whats that new CBA issue with the franchise tag that can be used that requires draft pick compensation if player signs with another team even if franchised? Get Mathis signed by 4:00 then use that element of the franchise tag on Wayne, then if he decides to go to another team we get something for his loss.

Whats that new CBA issue with the franchise tag that can be used that requires draft pick compensation if player signs with another team even if franchised? Get Mathis signed by 4:00 then use that element of the franchise tag on Wayne, then if he decides to go to another team we get something for his loss.

That is not the franchise tag. What you are talking about is Restricted Free Agency (RFA):

In the National Football League, a restricted free agent (RFA) is one with three accrued seasons of service, who has received a "qualifying" offer (a salary level predetermined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and its players) from his current club. He can negotiate with any club through a certain date. If the restricted free agent accepts an offer sheet from a new club, his old club has "right of first refusal," a seven-day period in which it may match the offer and retain him, or choose not to match the offer, in which case it may receive one or more draft picks for the upcoming draft from the player's new club. If an offer sheet is not executed, the player's rights revert to his old club the day after negotiations must end.

http://en.wikipedia....cted_free_agent

I haven't noticed alot of signings by teams yet.

Anyone have a link to a good up to the minute type source?

Check out the NFL General section of the forum for notifications about this. Multiple people have posted there over the last few weeks about personnel moves by multiple teams. Welker and Bowe have both been franchised by their teams, as well as other big names.

I think we have to franchise either Garcon, Mathis, or Reggie. We cannot let all three of them hit the door - I know we are "re-building," but you cannot rebuild an entire team at nearly every single position in the span of one off-season.

I would absolutely not franchise Garcon, or pay him 9.4 million. To be frank, I would be fine if he walks. I think we need to use the franchise tag on Mathis, or if we can get a deal done with him, then use it on Reggie. I think Reggie provides more WR skill than does Garcon, and also provides more intangibles like leadership, veteran presence in the locker room, and potentially helping ease the transition of a rookie quarterback (obviously that is predicated on if Peyton leaves).

Once again which is it? They are your words not mine I'm taking it since you're most recently saying not to franchise Garcon that your first post ought to be edited to remove Garcon's name.