Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kelvin Hayden

skadura

Does anyone know the status of hayden. I really really hope he decides to come back to indy for less money because i just get nightmares thinking about jacob lacey out there as our number 2. all i can remember about this guy is watching the 2 point conversion in the superbowl and he was lined up 5 yarsd off the guy and a bunch of us colts fans sitting near that end zone just yelling at him to get up and bump the wr or at leasat get close to him. lance moore i believe it was just ran a 2 yard out route and had time to roll and reach over to pretty much put the colts in a tough situation. then when i wake up from that nightmare i just remember watching braylon edwards run 9 routes on lacey 3 times during the playoff game last year and just go untouched right by him only to see mark sanchez either overthrow him or dink it to the rb ...that is until the last play of the game of course.........

we have a superbowl team and the difference between winning and losing are simple plays like these from soft players that we just can't afford to trust.

I wonder if his health is the issue here. I'm surprised no one has picked him up. IF he is healthy and IF we really have a lot space under the cap as has been reported - I have to say the 15M figure seems wrong, but what do I know? - then we should really try to get him back for a reasonable price.

I am nervous about going into the season with our current CB's. I think Powers and Tryon can do a good job with Lacey and the rest competing for the Nickel, but God forbid we have injuries, then we will start looking real thin again and that is one of the main things that killed us last year.

I wonder if his health is the issue here. I'm surprised no one has picked him up. IF he is healthy and IF we really have a lot space under the cap as has been reported - I have to say the 15M figure seems wrong, but what do I know? - then we should really try to get him back for a reasonable price.

I am nervous about going into the season with our current CB's. I think Powers and Tryon can do a good job with Lacey and the rest competing for the Nickel, but God forbid we have injuries, then we will start looking real thin again and that is one of the main things that killed us last year.

The 15M estimate was wrong. We have just under 8M.

From the 18to88 blog, regarding cap space ...

"Yesterday Profootballtalk.com reported on the cap situation for all teams. The number PFT gave for the Colts was $7.9 million. However, based on previous reporting by PFT, that number likely includes 'flexible money'. Each team can 'borrow' up to $3 million from the 2012 cap and apply it to 2011. Obviously, it would be best to avoid doing so if at all possible. That means the Colts actual number is probably closer to $4.9 million. That's not nearly enough to do any major renegotiation of Mathis or Wayne's deals, as some have suggested.

The Colts may not be finished signing players, but they don't have the cap room to make any major moves. Of course, at this stage of the game, there aren't any major players to move on anyway."

From the 18to88 blog, regarding cap space ...

"Yesterday Profootballtalk.com reported on the cap situation for all teams. The number PFT gave for the Colts was $7.9 million. However, based on previous reporting by PFT, that number likely includes 'flexible money'. Each team can 'borrow' up to $3 million from the 2012 cap and apply it to 2011. Obviously, it would be best to avoid doing so if at all possible. That means the Colts actual number is probably closer to $4.9 million. That's not nearly enough to do any major renegotiation of Mathis or Wayne's deals, as some have suggested.

The Colts may not be finished signing players, but they don't have the cap room to make any major moves. Of course, at this stage of the game, there aren't any major players to move on anyway."

Wouldn't it be clearly reported if we borrowed against next years cap? Maybe we stand at $10.9 if we did so?

And is this just because of the lockout, or is this a new thing that can be done every year with certain restrictions?

Mega money is tough to ask for when you've missed as many games as he's missed these last 2 years. He does need to come back to Indy where he's a fan favorite. What's wrong with 3 years, 6 million? A fan that makes $100,000 a year needs to work 60 years to make that same amount.

I just don't get it...........Hayden was cut for a reason guys! Perhaps the powers that be believe in Powers, Lacey, Tryon, Brown, Thomas and Rucker? Maybe they know more than we do about the depth chart? :-)

Hayden was cut for a reason. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with his $6M dollars he was taking from the cap. (pretty sure it was 6 this year can't remember exactly though)

I just don't get it...........Hayden was cut for a reason guys! Perhaps the powers that be believe in Powers, Lacey, Tryon, Brown, Thomas and Rucker? Maybe they know more than we do about the depth chart? :-)

lol yah , he was cut for a reason! his cap number. hes worth half his contract, which is still a pretty good amount. im sure the "powers at be" see the same thing we see every sunday....big play: opposing qb's go after jacob lacey regardless of who is on him.....jeremy shockey runs a slant on him for a td then they go after him on the two point conversion. ....brady targets this guy everytime hes on the field.

Mega money is tough to ask for when you've missed as many games as he's missed these last 2 years. He does need to come back to Indy where he's a fan favorite. What's wrong with 3 years, 6 million? A fan that makes $100,000 a year needs to work 60 years to make that same amount.

Wow, 60 years making a darn good salary of $100k per year to make what a serviceable CB can make in three years. Talk about putting into perspective how messed up pro sports salaries really are.

Anyway, if Hayden can be brought back at a reasonable price, I'd be for it.

Wouldn't it be clearly reported if we borrowed against next years cap? Maybe we stand at $10.9 if we did so?

And is this just because of the lockout, or is this a new thing that can be done every year with certain restrictions?

My understanding of the 3M borrowing is that it's a 2011/2012 bridge, only. I could be wrong.

Regarding Hayden - the other element in this is his health. It's possible medical findings figured more heavily into the decision making. Afterall, the real cap relief from cutting him doesn't happen until 2012 & 2013.

Even though we need players in camp now to be ready for the opener, there's still a chance a CB acquisition could be made. All of the FA & team cuts dust hasn't quite settled. There may yet be a contributor out there for us. Somebody that fits the system and could adjust fast......just like Tommie Harris and Ernie Sims. The team appears to have done well in the FA area this year. It's very encouraging.