Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Notable Pro Day Performances

Have you seen any good pro day performances by non-combine participants? Maybe guys we can target late in the draft or as an UDFA. These probably aren’t guys with elite production, but instead have elite athleticism to warrant a late pick or signing.

Here are some WRs Ive seen from WalterFootball.com:

Jonah Trinneman, BYU, WR: 4.28 40 yard dash, 41.5” Vertical, 12’0 broad jump. He’s only 5’10 but his numbers are probably better than anyone’s I’ve ever seen. He came close to breaking records in all 3 events.

Justin Watson, Penn, WR: 4.39 40, 39” Vert, 10’0 broad jump. He participated in the senior bowl but didn’t get an invite to the combine. Really good numbers for a 6’3 guy. 

Jeff Badet, Oklahoma, WR: 4.27 40, 39.5” vert, 10’11 Broad Jump. A 6’0 guy with insane athleticism and decent production. 

nfl-35.png  NFL | P.J. Hall receiving interest    Mon Apr 2, 02:43 PM

Sam Houston State DT P.J. Hall is scheduled to work out for the New England Patriots Monday, April 2, and for the Philadelphia Eagles Tuesday, April 3, according to a source. He is also scheduled to meet with eight teams over the next two weeks.

Link to story

Justin Watson’s draft analysis:

Strengths

Very good NFL size with muscular, well-proportioned frame. Outstanding football character with first-in, last-out mentality. Posted three years of heavy production and scored at least one touchdown in each game this year. Sinks hips into breaks for sudden stops. Ball skills are solid. Ball tracking comes easily. Finds it early and can bring it in over his shoulder. Quick to snatch and tuck. Makes late contortions to the ball to bring it in. Consistent to secure throws both high and low. Has awareness to drop feet near sideline.

Weaknesses

Slightly below average athleticism. Lacks suddenness in movements. Level of competition at cornerback didn't offer challenging looks. Upfield burst into routes doesn't carry much juice. Has to prove he won't get glued to press off his release. Needs to prove he can run more of the route tree. Room for improvement in setting up route breaks. Doesn't have elusiveness or acceleration to threaten much after the catch. 

Draft Projection

Round 7/PFA

Bottom Line

Big, productive receiver with good football character but lacking in long speed and foot quickness. Watson dominated cornerbacks in the Ivy League, but may not have the suddenness to get off press or the acceleration to uncover against tight man coverage. His size and ball skills are intriguing, but he'll need to prove his athletic ability and speed during the lead up to the draft.

looks like the biggest knock against him was he lacked athleticism, which he proved wrong with his pro day. Big bodied guy that CB likes. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Archer said:

Daurice Fountain, WR, N. Iowa.  6’1 5/8”, 210 lbs., 4.46-4.53 forty, 42.5 vertical, 11-2 broad jump.  My favorite mid-round receiver.

he's a sleeper for sure good hands good body control same body type of DeAndre Hopkins would be a good late pick if not top UDFA

49 minutes ago, Archer said:

Daurice Fountain, WR, N. Iowa.  6’1 5/8”, 210 lbs., 4.46-4.53 forty, 42.5 vertical, 11-2 broad jump.  My favorite mid-round receiver.

I a big fan of Richie James i think in our system he could be special and on this turf has some Antonio Brown in him.

On 4/2/2018 at 11:44 AM, stitches said:

Sam Houston State DT PJ Hall... ran in the 4.7s at 300+ pounds... 

I've been keeping an eye on this guy man it's hard to not fall in love with that pop he has. He has definite potential.  

1 hour ago, FalseStart said:

Fort Hays State... Nathan Shepard...might be worth considering mid-rounds

I've seen some draft guys hype him as a 2nd rounder. I wouldn't him on our 3rd. Pretty raw but he has very good traits.

14 minutes ago, stitches said:

Notable in that it is bad:

What's wrong with Key? The guy had everything two years ago. I remember watching him at the All American game thinking he's gonna be a monster. 

Imo he'll still be a good player in the NFL but he's not doing himself any favors. 

2 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I am curious to see Key's 10 yard and 3 cone though.  I am not to concerned by just the 40 time.

he didn't do any of that at his pro day, but he did at the combine...except I don't see what his 10 yd was.

his 3 cone was 7.16

vertical 31

broad jump 9-7

3 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

he didn't do any of that at his pro day, but he did at the combine...except I don't see what his 10 yd was.

his 3 cone was 7.16

vertical 31

broad jump 9-7

I wish he would have done this to show improvement.  Shows dedication to the game if you work to get better.