Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Boston Herald - Peyton Manning Is Throwing Well, Improving- On Pace To Be Possibly Full Strength By May

bayone

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is pretty odd the Saints haven't worked anything out with Brees yet, the guy had one of the most (if not the most) incredible season any QB has ever had. I assume they will eventually work things out with him. Completely different situation with the Colts though unfortunately :(.

Actually the franchise tag for Brees would likely SAVE the Saints money considering what he is asking for. I think the Saints are trying to look at this thinking similarly to what they saw happen to the Colts last year. That team would be worse than us without Brees. They don't want to be caught in Cap trouble if he was to go down. He isn't the youngest either and like manning had issues that could affect his throwing. I don't blame them for trying to structure it right....no doubt that is what this is. They definately want him back but they have players to sign too and don't want an albatros of a contract with too much guranteed money if something happens. We all never thought something would happen to Peyton so I don't blame them.

Dont you think all this talk of other teams for PM is becuase so many other teams would LOVE to have him and its just makes for a more interesting story of him playing somewhere else? Those to me are really the only reasons I can think why people are saying he is going to play somewhere else, because its certainly not something I have heard from Peyton or Irsay.

Actually the franchise tag for Brees would likely SAVE the Saints money considering what he is asking for. I think the Saints are trying to look at this thinking similarly to what they saw happen to the Colts last year. That team would be worse than us without Brees. They don't want to be caught in Cap trouble if he was to go down. He isn't the youngest either and like manning had issues that could affect his throwing. I don't blame them for trying to structure it right....no doubt that is what this is. They definately want him back but they have players to sign too and don't want an albatros of a contract with too much guranteed money if something happens. We all never thought something would happen to Peyton so I don't blame them.

My understanding is it saves them 'cash,' but impacts the cap more if franchised. Maybe somebody can make sense of that for me. All I hear is if he is franchised, it will hurt them. Yeah....I am more woried about 18 myself....but interesting nonetheless.

Heck if they lose Colston, I sure as heck wouldn't mind him coming to Indy considering the circumstances involving Reggie & Garçon. I hope that idea wouldn't be to far fetched.

I am amazed there are so many Colston haters....maybe the injuries? I have always thought he was strong....I am with you on Colston.

I wouldnt say brees is as valuable to the saints, as peyton is to the colts. they do a lot of easy dumpoff targets to running backs (like 150) and have huge targets (colston and grahm). And they have a great o-line (we'll see what happens with nicks this year). Not taking anything away from brees though. Also franchising brees hurts the saintsbbecause they have a lot of free agents and they would like to be able to at least franchise one of them.

My understanding is it saves them 'cash,' but impacts the cap more if franchised. Maybe somebody can make sense of that for me. All I hear is if he is franchised, it will hurt them. Yeah....I am more woried about 18 myself....but interesting nonetheless.

All depends on how he structures the deal and how much guranteed money he wants up front. The tag could be more on the cap or very very possibly if he wants a ton of up front money...it could SAVE them money franchising him for one year. We don't know but obviously with how the negotiations are going and the reports that they are very far apart suggest he is wanting a monster number of guranteed dollars and would probably hurt their cap space to keep a majority of their team.

Not taken personally at all, dont worry , know u to long from direct colts so know how u speak

in a few cimments back i quoted a comment , agreed and answered with this,

but am skeptical until we get firmer , verifiable sources & not just leaks

I don't trust anything about Manning from a source farther east than Richmond......

Dont you think all this talk of other teams for PM is becuase so many other teams would LOVE to have him and its just makes for a more interesting story of him playing somewhere else? Those to me are really the only reasons I can think why people are saying he is going to play somewhere else, because its certainly not something I have heard from Peyton or Irsay.

Well they two havnt reached a deal yet which you would sort of expect. Also irsay has said he'll have manning back if he wants to restructure his contract. Irsay has also gone back on his word quite a few times recently. Then there is the question of whether manning wants to be back. Look at it from his side: Does a rebuilding team look entucing to play for? Do you want to have to worry about Luck taking your job in a year or two when you fully believe you can play for four more ywars? It just doesnt look good for Manning staying a colt.

Irsay has also gone back on his word quite a few times recently.

How so? If anything he backtracked on money isn't an issue by qualifying it as money isn't an issue if his deal is reworked but I can't really think of anything else. If you are talking about him saying everyone in the FO and coaching staff were safe around the middle of the season, and then firing everyone after the season, then you are forgetting that numerous times down the stretch he alluded to being safe for the season and evaluating afterwords.

All depends on how he structures the deal and how much guranteed money he wants up front. The tag could be more on the cap or very very possibly if he wants a ton of up front money...it could SAVE them money franchising him for one year. We don't know but obviously with how the negotiations are going and the reports that they are very far apart suggest he is wanting a monster number of guranteed dollars and would probably hurt their cap space to keep a majority of their team.

Cannot blame Brees for not taking 10 mill less than Peyton can you?

How so? If anything he backtracked on money isn't an issue by qualifying it as money isn't an issue if his deal is reworked but I can't really think of anything else. If you are talking about him saying everyone in the FO and coaching staff were safe around the middle of the season, and then firing everyone after the season, then you are forgetting that numerous times down the stretch he alluded to being safe for the season and evaluating afterwords.

Look I am ok with whatever the Colts do if they show some class about it. TOTALLY OK with Luck. He looks great. But if you think he hasn't been very contradictory with his words about Peyton...with all due respect I think you are totally wrong. He has said all season that paying him the money isn't a problem it is about his health...especially after the monday night game we won. Now he is saying if he restructures...its in Peytons court. He is also the one that uses TWITTER as the means to inform people about EVERYTHING going on IN and OUT of the organization...but as soon as Peyton says something he thinks it should be "IN HOUSE" and that he shouldn't put a negative light on the "Horseshoe". That stuff is laughable and highly hipocritical. I think Peyton should restructure his deal and that is fine if Irsay asks him to but Irsay hasn't exactly been consistant in this process to say the least. It will be interesting if Peyton comes back healthy and restructures or takes an incentive laden deal with another team and Irsay doesn't try to get him back because then he would be lying that all along he wants Peyton back and has said he would like to have both guys. That is why people don't believe everything the guy says and I don't exactly blame them.

Cannot blame Brees for not taking 10 mill less than Peyton can you?

Not at all...he should get what he thinks is right. Just saying that is why this is taking so long and that I can't blame the Saints either for giving in to probably a contract that wouldn't help the team. This is just how it works and I am all but certain they will get a deal done.

I actually wish we could hear some good clear information that Condon, Irsay, and Grigson were meeting on a contract. Truth is Luck and RG3 are stud QBs no matter how you look at it. Luck fits the Colts system and RG3 fits with the Skins....not sure any QB fits in the Brown's system anymore. Both of these young men played in warm weather, and as the song says "When the Gales of November come Early" off of Lake Erie. Honestly I did not just Tweet that for Irsay...I promise....

Not at all...he should get what he thinks is right. Just saying that is why this is taking so long and that I can't blame the Saints either for giving in to probably a contract that wouldn't help the team. This is just how it works and I am all but certain they will get a deal done.

You are right. That was why I asked. Thanks.

Wow, I apparently reached my limit on likes for the day. Didn't know there was a limit. We won't have Peyton back unless they come to an agreement. I don't blame Brees for trying to get what he deserves. He had an amazing season. I love Jimmy Graham and Colston. I wish we could just see Peyton throw and see where he is. I know the new CBA keeps the Colts from watching him throw. Why is it like that anyway? If someone could fill me in on that, I have not read up on it enough.

Nice to hear some good news.

Im tempering my expectations however, because I feel Peytons been "just months away" for awhile now.

How did Boston get this scoop?

Sounds good but I also question how the news came out of Boston..

..which has no connection to either Manning or Wayne..

Look I am ok with whatever the Colts do if they show some class about it. TOTALLY OK with Luck. He looks great. But if you think he hasn't been very contradictory with his words about Peyton...with all due respect I think you are totally wrong. He has said all season that paying him the money isn't a problem it is about his health...especially after the monday night game we won. Now he is saying if he restructures...its in Peytons court. He is also the one that uses TWITTER as the means to inform people about EVERYTHING going on IN and OUT of the organization...but as soon as Peyton says something he thinks it should be "IN HOUSE" and that he shouldn't put a negative light on the "Horseshoe". That stuff is laughable and highly hipocritical. I think Peyton should restructure his deal and that is fine if Irsay asks him to but Irsay hasn't exactly been consistant in this process to say the least. It will be interesting if Peyton comes back healthy and restructures or takes an incentive laden deal with another team and Irsay doesn't try to get him back because then he would be lying that all along he wants Peyton back and has said he would like to have both guys. That is why people don't believe everything the guy says and I don't exactly blame them.

I agree to a certain extent with the bold comment. However, while it may be contradictory, it is the prudent thing to do. I still think health is the #1 issue, followed by $. If PM was 100% healthy, the $28 mill would have already been given to him, but because of the circumstances Irsay cannot take that gamble. So it's now about money because PM isn't healthy...Irsay still wants him on the team but cannot, as a businessman, have the contract as is.

As for the rest, I have no problem with Irsay doing what he did. I love PM, but if it was any other player---say DFree or Dallas Clark saying what he said to Kravitz, fans would be all over them. The Colts always have kept all negative in-house...why would PM act differently now, and particularly why would he give Kravitz the story knowing how he loves to instigate (remember how many times he has bashed PM in the past)? That is totally out of character for PM. Point is, Irsay owns the team, can use twitter or whatever he wants to circulate the information he wants fans and media to know. PM, as iconic and great as he is, is still Irsay's employee and needs to air out his issues directly with him instead of through Kravitz. A PR battle is the only reason for PM to do what he did, imo, and that's what Irsay was saying. In American capitalism, there is a power structure: the owner gets to say what he wants when he wants and the worker has to fall in line. Like it or not, we are all subjected to this reality everyday.

BTW, I want Manning and Luck on the roster.

Some people were upset about unnamed sources when they provided bad news.

Some people were upset about unnamed sources who were not associated with Manning when they provided bad news.

They pointed out how unreliable unnamed sources were.

Yet these same people are now happy accepting good news from the above 2 categories.

Go figure.

U cant, sometime some go with the way the wind blows that day

but I am too skeptical until we get firmer , verifiable sources & not just leaks

but I will still post if see something and let others decide , if I dont post it , someone else will anyway

Wow, I apparently reached my limit on likes for the day. Didn't know there was a limit. We won't have Peyton back unless they come to an agreement. I don't blame Brees for trying to get what he deserves. He had an amazing season. I love Jimmy Graham and Colston. I wish we could just see Peyton throw and see where he is. I know the new CBA keeps the Colts from watching him throw. Why is it like that anyway? If someone could fill me in on that, I have not read up on it enough.

Be "LIKE" me Kayla....just quote and say something funny. HA HA! The CBA has always had to have a clause from keeping coaches and management from having 'unauthorized offseason workouts.' That is why there are mini-camps and such. I feel it is 'splitting hairs' when it comes to these contracts when dealing with a HUGE contract for an injured player. That seems unfair to the team 'paying the bills.'

U cant, sometime some go with the way the wind blows that day

but I am too skeptical until we get firmer , verifiable sources & not just leaks

but I will still post if see something and let others decide , if I dont post it , someone else will anyway

I did not mean my previous post as a dig against you. You are the messenger, not the author.

I was merely pointing out a bit of interesting human psychology, which I found somewhat amusing, and somewhat sad.

I don't trust anything about Manning from a source farther east than Richmond......

Rosanne just tweeted that Irsay just tweeted that Fred Flintstone said Manning had reached agreement. Not sure how fare eat of Richmond they were. In fact, I just checked...no longitude/latitude listed for Bedrock.

I did not mean my previous post as a dig against you. You are the messenger, not the author.

I was merely pointing out a bit of interesting human psychology, which I found somewhat amusing, and somewhat sad.

I knew That,

no problems friend,

Rosanne just tweeted that Irsay just tweeted that Fred Flintstone said Manning had reached agreement. Not sure how fare eat of Richmond they were. In fact, I just checked...no longitude/latitude listed for Bedrock.

What about Bam Bam , I here hes credible and if u dont belive him u get bammed

Some people were upset about unnamed sources when they provided bad news.

Some people were upset about unnamed sources who were not associated with Manning when they provided bad news.

They pointed out how unreliable unnamed sources were.

Yet these same people are now happy accepting good news from the above 2 categories.

Go figure.

Guilty/ We all accept news more readily based on our opinion.

The 'rag arm' report was really popular in some circles

until 'Special K' recanted it.

Be "LIKE" me Kayla....just quote and say something funny. HA HA! The CBA has always had to have a clause from keeping coaches and management from having 'unauthorized offseason workouts.' That is why there are mini-camps and such. I feel it is 'splitting hairs' when it comes to these contracts when dealing with a HUGE contract for an injured player. That seems unfair to the team 'paying the bills.'

Good point there, I shall quote now. I just think when it comes to an injured player and a contract there should be something in there for situations like that. I think that would make everything a lot easier on everyone. Thanks for the info.

What about Bam Bam , I here hes credible and if u dont belive him u get bammed

Whatever Bam Bam says is reduced to 'Rubble." OK I quit....not really....he was hangin with Pebbles. OK...had to reply this time....hope you are feeling better.

Good point there, I shall quote now. I just think when it comes to an injured player and a contract there should be something in there for situations like that. I think that would make everything a lot easier on everyone. Thanks for the info.

I totally agree....if someone has a 'major injury,' teams should NOT have to play Russian Roulette with their pocketbooks.

Whats really crazy is last year do to lockout Peyton couldn't get help from Colt rehab staff he wanted, Know due to lockoit , and resulting CBA to end it Peyton , an injured player cant be properly evaluated for his contract, somehow fort injured players rules should have specific exceptions in clear language

EDIT ADDED By time I posted this I see u said something similar

Kravitz says..."I'm just the messenger' (of rags and noodles)..

He does it to rattle cages.....I just ignore what I don't like anymore....he just writes and says things because he has a forum. The amazing thing is the national media respects him....he is pure editorial....all bias....one week he says one thing...the next is the opposite just to rile up the fan base.

Whats really crazy is last year do to lockout Peyton couldn't get help from Colt rehab staff he wanted, Know due to lockoit , and resulting CBA to end it Peyton , an injured player cant be properly evaluated for his contract, somehow fort injured players rules should have specific exceptions in clear language

EDIT ADDED By time I posted this I see u said something similar

I knew with the lockout he was not able to see the rehab staff. I just think its crazy his own team can't evaluate him. Now all we read is hear say it seems. I just wish they would quit making us wait, why wait until the last possible minute? Seems like that is what they are doing.

I posted this before you added the edit to yours. Nice to know someone shares my opinion though!

Edited by KaylaD

Sucks not being able to make a new post.. anyways.

Why does everyone think Peyton will leave? Irsay said its not a cash problem but more a health problem.

If Peyton is just months away from full strength. He should be ready to go for regular football.

-----

I know its easy to spend someone else's money and try and predict the future, but this is how I could see things going If I was trying to take the best step forward for the franchise.

March 1st-7th - Have Peyton take the team physical and deem him ready or not. Evaluate his progress over the week if he doesn't pass the physical right now.

March 8th - Talk with him and explain the situation with the cap and what the team is doing to try and field a championship caliber team. By seeing if he would take a more cap-friendly deal that is incentive based. If he's as committed to the Colts as he wants the Colts to be committed to him he should be on board for this idea.

If he isnt budging as far as restructuring goes then simply pay him the money and hope that other players will take less $$ to play for Peyton. (Reggie Wayne, Garcon, Saturday...)

Once you have the Peyton-Saga out of the way you can now start to cut/sign players and field a team for the 2012/13 season.

I'm not going to go into detail as far as contracts and money for players. (In the aspect that players might possibly be willing to take discounts (hoping)).

Once were on board the Peyton train, we should listen to the Rams offers for the #2 pick in the draft.

If everyone is ready to sell the farm for Griffin then they will be willing to do the same for Luck if not maybe some better quality picks.

If we trade down the draft to say the Browns and get their 4th and 22nd plus others. We can very well try to pick up a QB later in the 1st round this season.. or use top picks for next year on a QB since I think the Browns picks would be high next season.

That way you don't have to deal with having Luck or Griffin on the bench when Peyton is still good for another year/s.

---

Imagine Peyton, Wayne coming back, Garcon coming back Collie still here, some new parts on the Oline, the offense pretty much en tact. A totally overhauled defense that can contribute to games rather than being a bend no break type defense. Along with your great prospect drafted players resulting from trading out of the #1 spot.

Playing in the AFC South will make it easy to go to the playoffs.

I'm excited to see what this years off season brings the Colts. New coaches, new players, new style of play.

Here's to the new colts!