Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Film Room: Quenton Nelson

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

Of the players I've really watched in this year's draft, there's only one that I consider to be a lock as a long time NFL starter, and it's Quenton Nelson.

If his arms measure at 34"+... would you be tempted to try him at tackle first? I know the transition is usually the other way around but he's so dominant at guard... I kind of wonder if he can play well even at tackle? 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

If his arms measure at 34"+... would you be tempted to try him at tackle first? I know the transition is usually the other way around but he's so dominant at guard... I kind of wonder if he can play well even at tackle? 

I wouldn't. Feet are even more important than arm length at tackle, and I haven't seen him take the drops a tackle needs to take, set the corner, handle speed rush counters, or operate in space in general except as a pull blocker. I don't necessarily doubt that he could do it, but I would expect that he'd be a slightly above average tackle, whereas I think he'll be an exceptional guard. I'd let him excel at his best position.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Of the players I've really watched in this year's draft, there's only one that I consider to be a lock as a long time NFL starter, and it's Quenton Nelson.

We must be watching the same film every time, because my views are very similar to yours. I feel the same way about Nelson. He's the closest thing to a "lock" that is in this draft. Has all pro written all over him for the next 8-10 years as long as he stays healthy (and all previous history points to he should). 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

He's the best "pure" guard to come out of college in a long time.

I imagine if he were just as good at T, he would have played it, L or R, at ND.

Switching positions would be taking a risk with a no-risk prospect...

:scratch: