Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Albert Breer: FA tampering period insights

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/22/free-agent-tampering-period-agents-players-mmqb

So we’ll start with the summer before the final year of the Player X’s deal.

• JULY: A position coach from (NFC Team 1), who previously worked with the player, calls the agent: “Hey, what are you up to? I wanted to come (there) and visit with some agents of guys we’re interested in. We’re looking to build relationships.” Strange, the agent thought, since he had no clients on (NFC Team 1). But it was intriguing enough. So he took the meeting.

The ensuing lunch lasted almost three hours. On the way out, the agent said, “I guess the old adage holds true, If you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying.” The coach responded that (NFC Team 1) was trying to think outside the box. But the agent took a distinct feeling away after seeing what this team had just done for his player. “No matter what (Original Team) told me, I knew I’d have multiple suitors.”

The winner? It’s the latecomer to the party, (NFC Team 5). And by latecomer, we mean that team got involved at the combine. Which, of course, is still before anyone is supposed to be talking.

Just another yellow light that everyone speeds through.

I found this fascinating. Can't figure out who the player is, but the point is that this happens all the time.

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Am I the only one that was completely lost reading that lol?? Another reason I could never be a NFL GM...I don’t even know how to cheat!

I was too. I had to read the middle paragraph three times to understand it. I guess the point is that tampering is happening all the time.

Vernon matches up pretty much pretty well with few tidbits in the article.

• JULY: A position coach from (NFC Team 1), who previously worked with the player, calls the agent

LATE FEBRUARY: ... (NFC Team 1) is out too, after a coaching change and moves to re-sign its own players

Jeff Stoutland was Miami Hurricanes' Oline coach from 2007 to 2010 and interim HC to finish that final season. He became Eagles oline coach in 2013. Chip Kelly got fired in Philly after 2015 season, after which Vernon became FA. Eagles signed Lane Johnson, Sam Bradford, Malcolm Jenkins, Vinny Curry, Zach Ertz and Brent Celek to contracts extensions between late January and Early March in 2016. While they did go after couple of players in FA, they had 3 edge rushers on relatively big second deals for 2016 so there wasn't really need for Vernon anymore: Curry, Brandon Graham, Connor Barwin.

EARLY OCTOBER: On this Sunday, (Original Team) is playing (AFC Team 1), and the head coach for (Original Team) is standing a few feet away from the head coach and a coordinator for (AFC Team 1). The coordinator, who previously coached the player

October 4, 2015, Jets vs Dolphins. Kacy Rodgers has been Jets DC since 2015. Before that.. he was Dline coach for the Miami Dolphins, a position he had had there since 2008.

• MID-JANUARY: For the first half of the month, while a host of teams get aggressive in courting the agent, (AFC Team 3) in particular asserts itself. This started with a simple text message in November. As time went on, the agent was told the team’s analytics department loved the player coming out of college, and the GM felt he’d fouled that up. And the GM now wanted to fix his mistake.

• TAMPERING PERIOD: A third serious suitor emerges. It’s (AFC Team 1), which comes with a strong proposal. As a result, the price rises. But the whole thing comes down, as expected, to (NFC Team 5) and (AFC Team 3). The deal is finalized on the back end of the tampering period.

The above is the only part that I could find that isn't a perfect match.. AFC team 3 (which would be the Jaguars) GM is Dave Caldwell but he was director of player personnel for the Falcons in 2012 when Vernon was drafted.

The tampering period part matched up well with what we were told in Peter Kings story on Vernon's FA decision. The way I'm reading, I got the impression that Giants had send their final offer before FA officially opened.

Three teams separate from the pack: the Jaguars, Giants and Jets.. The dizzying cash total causes the Jets to throw in their cards here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 9:12 AM, Finball said:

Vernon matches up pretty much pretty well with few tidbits in the article.

Jeff Stoutland was Miami Hurricanes' Oline coach from 2007 to 2010 and interim HC to finish that final season. He became Eagles oline coach in 2013. Chip Kelly got fired in Philly after 2015 season, after which Vernon became FA. Eagles signed Lane Johnson, Sam Bradford, Malcolm Jenkins, Vinny Curry, Zach Ertz and Brent Celek to contracts extensions between late January and Early March in 2016. While they did go after couple of players in FA, they had 3 edge rushers on relatively big second deals for 2016 so there wasn't really need for Vernon anymore: Curry, Brandon Graham, Connor Barwin.

October 4, 2015, Jets vs Dolphins. Kacy Rodgers has been Jets DC since 2015. Before that.. he was Dline coach for the Miami Dolphins, a position he had had there since 2008.

The above is the only part that I could find that isn't a perfect match.. AFC team 3 (which would be the Jaguars) GM is Dave Caldwell but he was director of player personnel for the Falcons in 2012 when Vernon was drafted.

The tampering period part matched up well with what we were told in Peter Kings story on Vernon's FA decision. The way I'm reading, I got the impression that Giants had send their final offer before FA officially opened.

Great work. I broke this down in another thread as well...but I just stumbled upon this. I missed NFC Team 1...great call on that.

I had thought Caldwell was with JAC when Vernon was drafted. I didn't fact-check because it made that story so much better. Only two picks before Vernon was selected in 2012, JAC took a freakin' P, Bryan Anger.

I guess Caldwell would be referring to when ATL chose Konz at #55 (in a weak C class). Definitely something you would regret in hindsight.