Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Change does not change tradition. It strengthens it

Meltdown

I think we have a lot of stanford fans who are suddenly "colts fans" and they came here on Jan 12- 17th to create an LZ for their boy in the community.

They don't post in the "how I became a colts fan" threads. They don't post in the "manning get well" threads. They only post in the manning vs luck threads.

If you remove these people, (you can just look at threads before January), this was a lot less split of a community, even though we KNEW in December we were getting the first pick.

+ 1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have a lot of stanford fans who are suddenly "colts fans" and they came here on Jan 12- 17th to create an LZ for their boy in the community.

They don't post in the "how I became a colts fan" threads. They don't post in the "manning get well" threads. They only post in the manning vs luck threads.

If you remove these people, (you can just look at threads before January), this was a lot less split of a community, even though we KNEW in December we were getting the first pick.

I joined a little after the window you reference. I am not buying into the idea Manning will be around next season. I've never bothered to post in the "how I became a Colts fan" thread. Let me promise you that none of that makes me a Stanford or Luck homer. In fact, I would guess I've been a Colts fan longer than a healthy percentage of posters here, including (possibly) you.

If I had the power to eliminate all the hurdles and determine an outcome here, I would definitely want Manning to stay. To be honest, I had concerns about jettisoning Harbaugh before Manning's rookie year. I was excited about the possibilities Manning offered, but would have prefered the stability of keeping Captain Comeback for at least another season. I think we can all agree it worked out OK, despite my concerns and despite the 3-13 first Manning season.

In my opinion, the OP defended the possibility of a transition to Luck, not because they feel that is the much preferred outcome, but because posting a lengthy disertation on why they would want Manning to stay, to balance out the discussion, is almost entirely unneccessary. Of course we want Manning to stay.

I would suggest that almost all the posters who get labelled as anti-Manning aren't saying they hate Manning or hope he is gone. The message I keep seeing is that despite the hope that he stays, it appears unlikely for a pile of reasons. It is fine that you don't wish to acknowledge those reasons, but I don't agree that people are haters for seeing logic in the doubts.

I would suggest that almost all the posters who get labelled as anti-Manning aren't saying they hate Manning or hope he is gone. The message I keep seeing is that despite the hope that he stays, it appears unlikely for a pile of reasons. It is fine that you don't wish to acknowledge those reasons, but I don't agree that people are haters for seeing logic in the doubts.

I agree. I wasn't targeting anyone in particular. everyone here has been much more chill lately.

....or they are people like me that started coming to this board when we were notified that the ColtsDirect board was being shut down.

....or they are people like me that started coming to this board when we were notified that the ColtsDirect board was being shut down.

+1

Except I got the notification despite not participating in the ColtsDirect board for several years. I was an occasional contributor on the old fan forum, tho.

...or they are people like me that call out some posters who claim to be a Colts fan, but would readily on "some level" root for the Colts' opponent, if led by Peyton Manning.

...or they are people like me that call out some posters who claim to be a Colts fan, but would readily on "some level" root for the Colts' opponent, if led by Peyton Manning.

I support the Colts no matter who is behind the center and have since moving back to Indiana after getting out of the Navy. I have noticed you like to repeat my message when you reply to my posts, why is that?

Me personally, I am for whatever is best for the future of the team. Would I hate to see Manning go? Sure I would and no explanation is necessary. Would I like to see Andrew Luck play for this team? Yes, I sure would. He seems I like a great guy and by far one of the best QB prospects since Manning himself. It is not personal, football is a business and just like any other business things tend to change.

This is the key point. There are many here who do not understand that Pro-football is a business. They are too invested in their hero-worship of PM to the point that they are not interested in what is best for the future of the team. They are only interested in what is best for PM, such that they can only see PM under center as what is best for the team, regardless of PM's arm strength issues, age, contract issues, etc.

This is evidenced by some of the posts I have read. In one particular, a poster claimed that he would, on "some level" root against the Colts if the Colts' opponent was led by PM, and hoped that the Colts' opponent would exact revenge on Irsay for letting PM go. Yet this poster also claims that he is a Colts fan.

Go figure.

This is the key point. There are many here who do not understand that Pro-football is a business. They are too invested in their hero-worship of PM to the point that they are not interested in what is best for the future of the team. They are only interested in what is best for PM, such that they can only see PM under center as what is best for the team, regardless of PM's arm strength issues, age, contract issues, etc.

This is evidenced by some of the posts I have read. In one particular, a poster claimed that he would, on "some level" root against the Colts if the Colts' opponent was led by PM, and hoped that the Colts' opponent would exact revenge on Irsay for letting PM go. Yet this poster also claims that he is a Colts fan.

Go figure.

Our owner thinks Manning is better suited for our immediate future.

Our owner thinks Manning is better suited for our immediate future.

OK, I'm not sure that it is a fact (unless you're referring to the owner of the company you work for), but let's take it at face value...

I would have to assume JI would also need to account for the long term interest of the franchise. So what is your point?

OK, I'm not sure that it is a fact (unless you're referring to the owner of the company you work for), but let's take it at face value...

I would have to assume JI would also need to account for the long term interest of the franchise. So what is your point?

He said Manning is better for us in 2012. Hence why I said immediate future.

I hope Manning acquires immortality and plays for INDY until the end of time! Lol. And just to clarify, that was a joke everybody. We'er way too sensitive these days. I want manning in indy, if thats not possible i'll be the first to cheer for luck. But, I will NEVER forget what Peyton did for this football team and the city of Indy.

Source?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/02/14/irsay.manning.contract/index.html#ixzz1mfTfLpmZ

But if he can play, he could do that for us this season and then he'd have the choice of whether to retire, with his number retired, the statue built and the whole thing. If he's healthy, he'd handle 2012 better than Andrew could. But ultimately I have always wanted him to make the decision, with us having pointed out the risk and the stress he's putting his neck under by playing. The biggest aspect is I want him to be comfortable with his decision.''

Of course it has to be taken with the "if healthy" tag.

The Colts fans on here are very level headed about the Manning - Luck outcome. Most undestand the dilemma of chosing the way forward, and the risks and hopes and challenges we as a team face. Most want a healthy Peyton to return, and some think that Luck is a gamble worth taking.....but we will all move forward and support the team no matter what.

Most (not all) Manning only fans have a different agenda, and are totally oblivious to the risks and doubts that face our star QB. A little more reality will bring less conflict all round....

I will still be here - rooting for the colts - regardless of whether or not we draft Luck I'm wondering how many there are that won't be here if we don't draft Luck.

Not saying everyone who joined on teh week of the 16th are Stanford students.... BUT Stanford exams did end on the week of the 16th.... LOLimsaying.

Me personally, I am for whatever is best for the future of the team. Would I hate to see Manning go? Sure I would and no explanation is necessary. Would I like to see Andrew Luck play for this team? Yes, I sure would. He seems I like a great guy and by far one of the best QB prospects since Manning himself. It is not personal, football is a business and just like any other business things tend to change.

OP, all I needed was to read this paragraph to determine you are an Andrew Luck fan. In the name of business and expendability you have no problem at all with kicking Peyton to the curb.

you are talking about a change? what change? It's time to get rid of a HoF QB that still has at least 3 great years left in him?

Peyton is still the best QB in the league. You will see him win another MVP in 2012. he is the best. that's all there is too it.

you are talking about a change? what change? It's time to get rid of a HoF QB that still has at least 3 great years left in him?

Peyton is still the best QB in the league. You will see him win another MVP in 2012. he is the best. that's all there is too it.

And what leads you to believe this? Was it his 2011 season?

You comment doesn't mention anything about his first season. You don't know if he will a bust, and average player, or an elite QB. Just like I don't. But your anti-Luck stance is well known, and turning into a yawn fest.

First of all don't act like you know my stance mate, I've said many times that it doesn't matter what of the two QBs the colts get it would be great, I've always wanted a scrambling QB.. just cuz I won't claim Luck as a savior like some are quick to including you does not mean I'm against him.

As soon as some of his fans see him struggling they'll quickly start criticizing him. The chances of luck actually having a really stellar season is slim, its possible like cam Newton but he had a great running game to back him up, can't forget the fact that the panthers weren't starting over.

So yea lucks first season could very well be a avg one for a rookie

You, nor anyone else will know how Luck will pan out. Suggesting you do know makes you look rather foolish.

so you are saying all these fans that want Luck here are also fools? Because pretty much all the Peyton haters and the people on Andrew Luck bandwagon are all saying he is gonna be a superstar.

So basically you are bing a hypocrite. You accept when people say he will pan out to be a star and you dont accept when peopledoubt that he will?

heres some news for you...

Andrew Luck is gonna be a bust. He will never live up to the hype and the high expectations that you and the rest of your little Andrew Luck fan club has set.

Get ready to clean up after yourselves when your little precious cookie busts

Just like you probably rooted for Jacksonville to beat the colts so we could secure the first pick... you would be lying to say on some level of you didn't. #done.

I just happened to notice a direct correlation between stanford's finals and the joining of a lot Luck fans, its up to you to take it personally.