Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Morrison

rpeay

On 12/25/2017 at 5:38 AM, BOTT said:

The only guys I've seen him hit hard are Darius Butler, Mathias Farley and TJ green.

He leveled Murray in the Raiders game in 2016. That was the only flash from his play that showed hope. Then he filled the wrong gap on the next play and they scored and the light disappeared. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/28/2018 at 9:44 AM, dgambill said:

Is it Easter already? Did we really just resurrect a month old thread to say that Morrison is terrible (something we all know). The dark times of the NFL offseason are about to be upon us....I think it’s about time for my yearly vacation from the Colts Forum.

It’s a time of good and bad: there are some committed people here that do excellent work with mocks and player evaluations. 

Then we have the occasional political argument and stuff like this. I think I’ll stick around this offseason to see the mocks and players we can find. 

10 hours ago, akcolt said:

I got the same reaction If you go back and look at Morrison's predraft write ups most sites had him as a late round pick at best some sites had him as a priority UDFA Grig's and Chuck acted like they pulled on over on everyone. He's can't run that's hard to overcome barking like a dog at a security guard doesn't make you a football player  

Most sites had him as 3/5 round pick if I remember not a priority free agent.

2 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

It’s a time of good and bad: there are some committed people here that do excellent work with mocks and player evaluations. 

Then we have the occasional political argument and stuff like this. I think I’ll stick around this offseason to see the mocks and players we can find. 

Yeah...I usually lurk during the offseason...just check back to see if I missed any news...but once the big FA and draft have passed us....this place just usually starts turning into fantasy land with so many hypotheticals and trades and posts after posts beating the usually dead horse. We are about to get there soon.

On 1/30/2018 at 7:36 PM, MacDee1975 said:

Not for predicting that a 4th rounder fails.

However, if you can provide proof that you predicted Dorsett would be underwhelming, then I think a cookie would be well deserved.

Ahh man.

And no, actually after his rookie season I thought Dorsett would take over the #2 WR duties.

On 12/24/2017 at 7:58 AM, rpeay said:

I thought Morrison was going to be a positive difference on defense when drafted, however after watching him play over the past  2 years, I have given up on him being nothing else but a special teams player and backup.  He is constantly out of position, misses basic coverage assignments (like picking up backs out of the backfield and TEs crossing), gets steam rollered regularly in addition to picking up stupid unsportsmanlike penalties that cost the team.......Its been since prior to Dungy arriving when the Defense has been very good.......

If we switch to a 4-3 which it looks like we might, he may be a good fit at Sam Backer, it would depend on the scheme.  If you recall during our SB run we moved Morris to the Sam from the Mike late in the season and I thought played an integral role in our success because it fit his skill set much better.  My point is simply, there a big difference in roles and responsibilities in a 3-4 and a 4-3, it's possible Morrison could be great at taking on lead blockers and stuffing the run at the point of attack in a 4-3...then again maybe not.  If we do make the switch I'm not sure we have a natural 4-3 Sam backer on the squad as we speak.  Probably over thinking this one but it just got me thinking, sorry.

On 2/1/2018 at 12:55 PM, dgambill said:

Yeah...I usually lurk during the offseason...just check back to see if I missed any news...but once the big FA and draft have passed us....this place just usually starts turning into fantasy land with so many hypotheticals and trades and posts after posts beating the usually dead horse. We are about to get there soon.

Dude this place is always fantasy land.   Most uneducated group of fans I have ever seen maybe 3 have common sense. You know who you are.  Most of you that think you Do .... DONT!!!!!

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Both Simon as the starter and Morrison as depth will be just fine as a 4-3 SAM....they can set the edge in the run game and funnel the ball carrier back to the WILL and MIKE just to make the tackles. 

I thought about that, would it be Simon playing Strong? I think it would be Sheard would it not? So as the roster sits now if we do make the switch it would be Will - Simon, Mike - Bostic, and Sheard- Sam.  Hmmm.  Mingo could potentially be your edge rusher at DE if re-signed along with Basham but those guys would struggle to set the edge which that's where the edges would be set in the 4-3. I do think it's hard to find the talent to play an amazing 3-4 due to both the athleticism and strength you need at OLB.  I like the 4-3 because you can specialize more and make use of a true DE and a little easier to find guys to play a more traditional linebacker role.  IF we make the 4-3 switch I do think we have the personnel to do it, unlike switching to a 3-4 you really have to have high caliber LB's and lot's of them, to make it work.  If you have the talent it's amazing but we've never procured that talent.  I'm brain dumping again.....sorry.

11 hours ago, Rally5 said:

I thought about that, would it be Simon playing Strong? I think it would be Sheard would it not? So as the roster sits now if we do make the switch it would be Will - Simon, Mike - Bostic, and Sheard- Sam.  Hmmm.  Mingo could potentially be your edge rusher at DE if re-signed along with Basham but those guys would struggle to set the edge which that's where the edges would be set in the 4-3. I do think it's hard to find the talent to play an amazing 3-4 due to both the athleticism and strength you need at OLB.  I like the 4-3 because you can specialize more and make use of a true DE and a little easier to find guys to play a more traditional linebacker role.  IF we make the 4-3 switch I do think we have the personnel to do it, unlike switching to a 3-4 you really have to have high caliber LB's and lot's of them, to make it work.  If you have the talent it's amazing but we've never procured that talent.  I'm brain dumping again.....sorry.

I'll take a brain dump here....  

I think it's interesting how we all see the same things differently.

In this instance, you see Sheard as an OLB in the 4-3...    I see him as 4-3 DE...   not saying you're wrong...  only that I think it's interesting...

14 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'll take a brain dump here....  

I think it's interesting how we all see the same things differently.

In this instance, you see Sheard as an OLB in the 4-3...    I see him as 4-3 DE...   not saying you're wrong...  only that I think it's interesting...

Not necessarily, I think Sheard could be a 4-3 DE, he is small for it and it's not offset by exceptional quickness so, then you just have a slightly undersized DE to set the edge and pass rush BUT that very well might work who knows how they are thinking about it.  You can see how this might size up from a personnel perspective.  I'm passionate about the OLine and I like Nelson in the draft but, if we address OL in FA, Chubb would be an obvious choice.  These particular 4-3 guys always want a premier pass rusher to make the whole thing work like Beasley or Avril most recently and you could use Freeney as an example from the Colts past.  There's a ton of presumption here on my part, I know, again, I'm just thinking out loud for fun.

I wouldn't particularly mind this line up next year.

DE - Sheard/Basham

DT - Woods, Stewart

DT - Hankins, Ridgeway

DE - Chubb, Anderson

OLB - Morrison

MLB - Bostic

OLB - Simon

IMO Basham will find his home at 4-3 DE, as will Chubb. Anderson will fill in well at DT and DE.

Woods and Stewart will be good at run stopping DTs.

Hankins and Ridgeway will be 3-techniques.

With more DLs, I can see Morrison and Simon making a jump as well. Morrison in particular is not suited for a 3-4 defense where he has to fight off blocks, much like Jonathan Vilma.

Morrison I see as a poor man's Jonathan Vilma.

Undersized (not so much in weight, but in arm length, hand size), slower than ideal for position...horrible fit for a 3-4 where he has to fight off blockers...

But in a 4-3 OLB role, I can see him playing well, as with John Simon.