Luck Seeking Treatment for Shoulder in Europe

John Waylon

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Normally whenever a player seeks treatment in Europe that’s not good news.  It normally means they explored all options here short of surgery (or in this case a second surgery).  I am not saying people should panic but this isn’t good news.

Technically none of this is good news but I am glad he is on this now and exploring the option. Many athlete's have done this and it has helped them is all I am saying.

1 hour ago, HectorRoberts said:

My dad had a similar procedure luck and it took 3 surgeries and 2 years to get his shoulder back to 90%

Same with ex Quarterback Jim Miller.  By the time his final surgery finally made him well, he blew out his hip and his career was over.  He injured his on an illegal hit, and played on it (not the rest of that game though) quite a bit (like Luck) before getting it repaired.  Took more revisions before it was right.  I wonder why AL won't at least have a scope done now?  If is swelling, he is only set back a few weeks.  Otherwise, they can clean it up (if it needs that) or determine if more extensive correction is needed.  It is most certainly better to find out  now rather than later, for sure.

3 hours ago, a06cc said:

Kobe Bryant career was pretty much over after the knee injury. He kept getting hurt. That’s not a great comparison. The procedure is also not cleared by the FDA here in the US. This is a bit concerning, however we have to be optimistic. I hope he can comeback. Your body doesn’t heal as fast after you hit 27. 

The good news is: This isn't a knee or foot injury..  His body was jacked up in other places than his shoulder..

I'm getting my mind ready for the news that their may be another 'clean-up' surgery for Andrew.

That's almost always what a 'second opinion' (I know those werent the words used) sounds like to me.

But, if its a consolation, he wont have  1 1/2 year of hits on him that he will have skipped

Just now, The Fish said:

Now that you mention it.

It feels like years since there was *good* news.

Last great moment we had was when we won at Denver in the Divisional Round in Jan of 2015 to advance to the Championship Game. Seems like 10 years ago doesn't it lmao Luck looked like a Top 5 QB that season and was healthy.

With all the heat on the organization,  it's possible he went across the pond, not only for treatment/rehab, but to quiet the "Luck must speak with media" narrative the local hosts have been pushing.  The end of the season is the appropriate time for such interviews.  As much as we all want it, now is not the time....

I have the same concerns we all do, but the bottom line is:  either he'll play in 2018 or he won't, either he's a Colt in 2018 or he's not.....we, as a fan base, will be the last to know. And we won't have a say in it one way or another.

If he never plays again, history will hold Irsay, Pagano, and Grigson (mostly the latter two) responsible for taking a generational talent and reducing him to a 5 year blip on the radar......

In the plus column tho, regardless of outcome, young Andrew is a multi-multi millionaire and will be able to live out the rest of his life in any way he sees fit. And if I have to,  I will personally consider that a happy ending to a messed up tale. 

20 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

With all the heat on the organization,  it's possible he went across the pond, not only for treatment/rehab, but to quiet the "Luck must speak with media" narrative the local hosts have been pushing.  The end of the season is the appropriate time for such interviews.  As much as we all want it, now is not the time....

I have the same concerns we all do, but the bottom line is:  either he'll play in 2018 or he won't, either he's a Colt in 2018 or he's not.....we, as a fan base, will be the last to know. And we won't have a say in it one way or another.

If he never plays again, history will hold Irsay, Pagano, and Grigson (mostly the latter two) responsible for taking a generational talent and reducing him to a 5 year blip on the radar......

In the plus column tho, regardless of outcome, young Andrew is a multi-multi millionaire and will be able to live out the rest of his life in any way he sees fit. And if I have to,  I will personally consider that a happy ending to a messed up tale. 

How dare you try and be reasonable!!!

48 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

The good news is: This isn't a knee or foot injury..  His body was jacked up in other places than his shoulder..

I'm getting my mind ready for the news that their may be another 'clean-up' surgery for Andrew.

That's almost always what a 'second opinion' (I know those werent the words used) sounds like to me.

But, if its a consolation, he wont have  1 1/2 year of hits on him that he will have skipped

Yeah, it’s just a shoulder and luckily he has two.

1 hour ago, HectorRoberts said:

Of course he wasn't.  all I was saying is that it's a big time injury and there is no telling if he is going to be 100% any time soon. so maybe the Europe trip is just him trying to avoid a second sugary with an alternative option

No where has it been said he needs another surgery at this point. Just saying.

54 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Agree with a lot of this except I don't think Luck was a generational talent. People throw that around a little too loosely.

11 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Agree with a lot of this except I don't think Luck was a generational talent. People throw that around a little too loosely.

Then explain why in Luck's first three season he broke virtually every record known for a three year player. He took the Colts to a AFC championship game in three seasons on a team that just came off a 2-14 record.

With those type of numbers it seems you don't know what a generational QB means.

14 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Same. Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, and DeShaun Watson all have arguments for being as good as Luck or better and they were drafted the same year or after Luck. There's usually one QB that's around Luck's level in every draft now. Peyton was a generational talent. Luck is usually what the top 1 or 2 QBs in each draft have a chance to be. Luck is more like a top yearly talent rather than a generational talent.

35 minutes ago, azcolt said:

That high draft choice may be needed for a qb and in a year with several good ones, maybe the Colts will luck out again.

Even if Luck doesn't play next season I highly doubt the Colts would pick a QB with their picks. When Ballard said Brisett was traded for with the future in mind, I believe him.

5 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Yea honestly, who's to say.....maybe I should have phrased it as a "potential generation talent" but i'd challenge you to think of a QB that has done more in his first 5 years, surrounded by the organizational and roster mediocratey that we've seen since 2012, than Andrew Luck.  Dude is proven, just look at our record and consider: zero protection, inept coaching, lowest draft retention since 2012, torn labrum, lacerated kidney, shoddy defense...who else would you credit the relative "success" too?

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Same. Russell Wilson, Carson Wentz, and DeShaun Watson all have arguments for being as good as Luck or better and they were drafted the same year or after Luck. There's usually one QB that's around Luck's level in every draft now. Peyton was a generational talent. Luck is usually what the top 1 or 2 QBs in each draft have a chance to be. Luck is more like a top yearly talent rather than a generational talent.

Deshaun Watson hasn't played 1/2 a season..

Wentz hasn't done anything that Andrew Luck has done in the regular season or (especialy) the post-season.

At 100%, Luck is better than everyone playing except Aaron Rodgers.....

I dont know what exactly generational talent means....

But I would not take anyone drafted at the QB positon since Luck in trade for him

10 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Deshaun Watson hasn't played 1/2 a season..

Wentz hasn't done anything that Andrew Luck has done in the regular season or (especialy) the post-season.

At 100%, Luck is better than everyone playing except Aaron Rodgers.....

I dont know what exactly generational talent means....

But I would not take anyone drafted at the QB positon since Luck in trade for him

You'd have a hard time convincing anyone that isn't a Colt fan that Luck is still a top 10 QB, let alone a top 2 QB. Luck would first have to be healthy next season, then he would have to be playing like his 2014 self as well. Assuming both of those are true, Watson was leading the league in TDs through 8 games, Wentz is playing like Luck 2014 (without the turnovers) a year ahead of his pace, and Wilson is just better than Luck. That's not mentioning the norm like Brady, Brees, Ryan, Stafford and Alex Smith right now, even Dak Prescott is playing at a high level and there's no guarantee Luck will be better than him. Add young guys like Goff, Mariota, Winston, Cousins, and Carr, and Luck is just a guy now.

Luck played like trash in 2015 and 2016 putting this team in deficits before trying to make up for it in the 2nd half. If he wants to even be named a top 10 QB anymore, he is going to have to score hard and fast and lead us to victory instead of putting us into holes like he did the last two years. It may of been due to injury, but he always holds the ball too long, he's always been a turnover machine (INT's and Fumbles), and he's always put us into deficits early into games. He needs to be 2014 Luck again. If not, then we aren't going anywhere with him. Luck has a lot to prove before he's anywhere near the 2nd best QB in the league. He can't sniff Rodgers jock IMO.

22 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Russell Wilson has an argument to being just as Great if not better because he did win a SB and he's legit. Having said that when he won it all he had an all-time Great Defense and a Great RB. I think Luck and Cam are pretty even, Cam had his chance on the big stage and was lousy in SB50. This year is the first time Wentz has played at a Great level, Watson who I like couldn't even last half the season without a season ending injury. QB's like Carr, Cousins, Winston, and Mariota have never won a Playoff game. I know you like Carr a lot but what has he done that Luck hasn't done? Raiders wont even win their Division this year and will be lucky to make the Playoffs. Luck has won 3 Playoff games and played in a Title Game + had a season where he threw for 40 TD's. I think you short change Luck way too much, JMO.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Russell Wilson has an argument to being just as Great if not better because he did win a SB and he's legit. Having said that when he won it all he had an all-time Great Defense and a Great RB. I think Luck and Cam are pretty even, Cam had his chance on the big stage and was lousy in SB50. This year is the first time Wentz has played at a Great level, Watson who I like couldn't even last half the season without a season ending injury. QB's like Carr, Cousins, Winston, and Mariota have never won a Playoff game. I know you like Carr a lot but what has he done that Luck hasn't done? Raiders wont even win their Division this year and will be lucky to make the Playoffs. Luck has won 3 Playoff games and played in a Title Game + had a season where he threw for 40 TD's. I think you short change Luck way too much, JMO.

We will have to wait and see what 2018 brings? If Luck never plays again then he is out of this discussion but until then he has a far better career than Carr, Cousins, Wentz, Mariota, and Winston and it's not even debatable regarding Stats and Wins.

Its easy to knock a guy when he isn't playing. Fans psychologically blame injury on the player ("If he was truly great, he wouldnt be hurt so much. The great ones aren't always hurt!!!!) and diminish what he accomplished. 

Anybody who doesn't think Luck is a Top-5 QB have forgotten what he did the first 3 years when he was 100%

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree I shortchange him a lot. However, he puts us into a lot of bad situations and has done so every year but 2014. People like to talk about high number of comebacks like they are a good thing. Well, you had to be behind a high number of times to achieve that, and it's not a good thing. It's like saying that we were behind most of the game, every game, and I find a way in the end to barely pull it out. Lots of these wins are against mediocre teams, mind you. I'm sick of not beating the Steelers or Pats, I'm sick of the slow starts, I'm tired of Luck holding on to the ball too long and committing turnovers. I'm also tired of there never being a team being put around either Manning or Luck. Not to mention the coaches. Luck has, in reality, had one great year, and that was 2014. I see a future in which he may be hurt and we have to start Brissett. Even if Luck is healthy, can he return to 2014 form or will he just be another guy? Our best player may be a borderline top 10 QB after his recovery, and that's the best we got. Grigson and Pagano ruined this team. It's hard to watch. Basically a bunch of the names I threw out there are Luck minus the 2014 season. At least they are healthy though. We just have to pray Luck is healthy or this team is going to have another 2012 rebuild, except without a true no1 talent pick at QB.

The only hope I have right now is Luck's poor play in 2015 and 2016 coincided with his injuries and he'll return to 2014 form. That's all I got though, and that's if he's truly healthy. 

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You'd have a hard time convincing anyone that isn't a Colt fan that Luck is still a top 10 QB, let alone a top 2 QB. Luck would first have to be healthy next season, then he would have to be playing like his 2014 self as well. Assuming both of those are true, Watson was leading the league in TDs through 8 games, Wentz is playing like Luck 2014 (without the turnovers) a year ahead of his pace, and Wilson is just better than Luck. That's not mentioning the norm like Brady, Brees, Ryan, Stafford and Alex Smith right now, even Dak Prescott is playing at a high level and there's no guarantee Luck will be better than him. Add young guys like Goff, Mariota, Winston, Cousins, and Carr, and Luck is just a guy now.

Luck played like trash in 2015 and 2016 putting this team in deficits before trying to make up for it in the 2nd half. If he wants to even be named a top 10 QB anymore, he is going to have to score hard and fast and lead us to victory instead of putting us into holes like he did the last two years. It may of been due to injury, but he always holds the ball too long, he's always been a turnover machine (INT's and Fumbles), and he's always put us into deficits early into games. He needs to be 2014 Luck again. If not, then we aren't going anywhere with him. Luck has a lot to prove before he's anywhere near the 2nd best QB in the league. He can't sniff Rodgers jock IMO.

Luck was hurt early in 2015......

..again..we say we don't..but fans blame players who get hurt.  We blame them for their injuries...

..short memory syndrome....

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Luck was hurt early in 2015......

..again..we say we don't..but fans blame players who get hurt.  We blame them for their injuries...

..short memory syndrome....

I realize that, and that's why I posted it could be injury in the post you quoted and the one to 2006. That's literally the only possible positive at this point, that his poor play in 2015-2016 is all injury related. We may never get to see him 100% though, so I don't even know if we'll be able to see if that's true.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I realize that, and that's why I posted it could be injury in the post you quoted and the one to 2006. That's literally the only possible positive at this point, that his poor play in 2015-2016 is all injury related. We may never get to see him 100% though, so I don't even know if we'll be able to see if that's true.

All we can do is see if Luck is ready for 2018, if not then I guess we cant really rank him because the other QB's will probably be healthy. Nobody knows how this will play out. I do know this when healthy I would take Luck over all the QB's I named above, "healthy" is the key word.

9 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Saw this yesterday & did a bit of a double-take. Apparently this is at the Lids shop at the airport.

DOUqjpqUQAA59l-?format=jpg&name=large

Please tell me this isn’t true Steam???  I fly back through there tomorrow. I’m gonna have to stop in and take a look. We’ve got a dark cloud hanging over the organization. I’m so ready for Luck to be back healthy and hopefully we can shake this jinx hovering over us. I’m getting so depressed. If it wasn’t for the Pacers playing good ball, I’d be a miserable wreck with nowhere to go get my sports fix...

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

There is no doubt his performance the last 2 years was injury related, if we're being honest.

Its on tape when he got hurt. We all saw all the times he got hit

This is what I mean. It 'could be' the injury. There's no 'couldbe'.....

To talk about Wentz and Watson...and Dak..those are just debate points

Andrew has played only half of the last 3 years' games...

Right now, those two poor kids who played QB for Notre Dame Saturday night are better than Andrew.

Mike Glennon is better than Andrew right now...

Edited by oldunclemark

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

Please tell me this isn’t true Steam???  I fly back through there tomorrow. I’m gonna have to stop in and take a look. We’ve got a dark cloud hanging over the organization. I’m so ready for Luck to be back healthy and hopefully we can shake this jinx hovering over us. I’m getting so depressed. If it wasn’t for the Pacers playing good ball, I’d be a miserable wreck with nowhere to go get my sports fix...

That's a great move by that store owner..He sells more Luck jerseys and gets national attention.

Brilliant.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Well, it is quite evident Luck is not pleased with the consultations/opinions he has received from his/many U.S. based physicians, so he is going overseas.  I'm not really against that, but I wonder why he hasn't / won't let someone  (like Dr. Andrews) look inside his shoulder with an arthroscope first... to see what is really up?  He most certainly isn't going over to Europe to have a foreign surgeon open him up and take a look, so it must be for stem cell and/or platelet rich plasma treatments he seeks.  What if this doesn't work? I'm concerned that the lost 2017 will eat into 2018 now as well...

{big sigh}

Why didn’t he go to Dr. Andrews in the first place???  He seems very well respected. Maybe the most respected sports surgeon out right now. The sports medicine doctors that come on JMV’s show spoke of Dr. Andrews like he was the GOAT...  Why wouldn’t we get the guy that did Drew Brees’ Shoulder surgery to do Luck’s???  Brees has actually become a better quarterback after his procedure. This whole process is worrisome & depressing. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Actually in 2016 Luck had a Very Good season. He threw for 4240 Yards and 31 TD's with just 13 INT's. He also completed 63.5% of his passes. The team went 8-8 so his season gets overlooked. He did that with a bad throwing shoulder.

I realize this, but what's also overlooked is that we were behind or started slow in the majority of those games. 11 of those 16 games, we scored 3 or less points in the 1st quarter. It was absolutely brutal in the beginning of games.

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

Why didn’t he go to Dr. Andrews in the first place???  He seems very well respected. Maybe the most respected sports surgeon out right now. The sports medicine doctors that come on JMV’s show spoke of Dr. Andrews like he was the GOAT...  Why wouldn’t we get the guy that did Drew Brees’ Shoulder surgery to do Luck’s???  Brees has actually become a better quarterback after his procedure. This whole process is worrisome & depressing. 

How do we know he hadn't gone to Mr. Andrews?  How do we know he didn't sees Brees doctor?

Why didn't he see every doctor of every QB who has hurt his shoulder in the last 10 years?

How do we know he didn't?

6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

That's a great move by that store owner..He sells more Luck jerseys and gets national attention.

Brilliant.

Definitely feels like Luck being out all year probably just torpedoed demand for Luck’s jerseys. I’d actually buy one of those half priced jerseys. Would be a steal if he comes back healthy...

3 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

How do we know he hadn't gone to Mr. Andrews?  How do we know he didn't sees Brees doctor?

Why didn't he see every doctor of every QB who has hurt his shoulder in the last 10 years?

I thought someone stated that Luck went back to his surgeon from Stanford or something. I don’t know the validity of it though. Might have been someone pretty trustworthy like NCF, but don’t quote me on that. I don’t want to put false claims on him. 

we all sat here during games and the No.1 comment about Andrew in his first 2 or 3 years was the same.....

REMEMBER??

"I'm realy uncomfortable with the amount of times he's getting hit"  

We all said it again and again.

"He keeps getting up but I'm worried about the way he's getting hit"

"He cant keep getting hit like that"

Remember?

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Judging by the fact that everything gets reported and leaked these days, and something like a big player like Luck seeing Dr Andrews (the top orthropedic surgeon in the world today) happening would be a huge deal, if it didn't get reported, then it didn't happen. There's no way that could be kept a secret. Not in today's world of social media.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Judging by the fact that everything gets reported and leaked these days, and something like a big player like Luck seeing Dr Andrews (the top orthropedic surgeon in the world today) happening would be a huge deal, if it didn't get reported, then it didn't happen. There's no way that could be kept a secret. Not in today's world of social media.

What you're saying is: We don't know. We have no idea