Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WFAN NY Francesca "IF I Was Luck Force a Trade"

HOF19

1 hour ago, Roger said:

I think trading Luck would be difficult, but not because of his contract.  Any trading partner would be suspicious as to whether he was finished.  It would make it impossible to get value for Luck.

oh his contract in and of itself makes trading Luck very difficult.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Roger said:

Brock Osweiler had the worst contract in history and it didn't prevent him from being traded.

The Browns had a surplus of cap space to take on the contract and received a 2nd rd pick to take him. They didn't trade FOR him, just used him as a means of getting an extra pick.

34 minutes ago, Shive said:

The Browns had a surplus of cap space to take on the contract and received a 2nd rd pick to take him. They didn't trade FOR him, just used him as a means of getting an extra pick.

That's terrible.  Why didn't Houston just cut him?  I could have sworn that his contract was structured in a way that made him cuttable without significant cap hit.  (Sorry, I didn't follow this during the off season.)

12 hours ago, J@son said:

oh his contract in and of itself makes trading Luck very difficult.

And what of the fact that no one knows if he'll be able to play at a high level or at all at the moment. Teams don't trade valuable assets with those question marks. 

Like it or not gang, he's ours.

55 minutes ago, JCPatriot said:

That's terrible.  Why didn't Houston just cut him?  I could have sworn that his contract was structured in a way that made him cuttable without significant cap hit.  (Sorry, I didn't follow this during the off season.)

Oh no, since it was 1 year into his deal, he still had a pretty big cap hit.

1 minute ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

Cleveland cut him. Denver signed him and offset a bit of the 16M cap hit that Cleveland took, but it still cost Cleveland 15.25M or so.

How did Denver offset the cap hit for Cleveland?  If Cleveland cut him, shouldn't it have been a clean slate for Denver when they signed him?

Just now, JCPatriot said:

How did Denver offset the cap hit for Cleveland?  If Cleveland cut him, shouldn't it have been a clean slate for Denver when they signed him?

There is offset language in lots of contracts saying that if they get resigned, that their new teams salary is subtracted from the guaranteed money from the old team. 

This is an article about how offset language works. This article talks about it in regards to rookie contracts, but the process is the same for any contract with offset language. 

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2014/06/offset-language

Ah, okay, so Denver did have a clean slate when they signed him.  They didn't have to assume any of the cap hit from the original contract, but it reduced the amount of money that Cleveland owed him and thus reduced Cleveland's contract.  Got it.  So one more question.  Is the 16M cap hit that Cleveland had to take because they cut him or was he owed 16M for that year per the contract?  If Cleveland had kept him on the roster instead of cutting him, would that 16M hit have been spread out over more than one year?

2 minutes ago, JCPatriot said:

Ah, okay, so Denver did have a clean slate when they signed him.  They didn't have to assume any of the cap hit from the original contract, but it reduced the amount of money that Cleveland owed him and thus reduced Cleveland's contract.  Got it.  So one more question.  Is the 16M cap hit that Cleveland had to take because they cut him or was he owed 16M for that year per the contract?  If Cleveland had kept him on the roster instead of cutting him, would that 16M hit have been spread out over more than one year?

They took over Houstons entire contract. So he had a base salary of 16M fully guaranteed in 2017, and then everything after that was not guaranteed, except a roster bonus of 4M that was only guaranteed if he was still on the roster as of March 2019. So as it stood the 16M would not have been spread out any further, unless they wanted to restructure his contract. 

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:22 PM, HOF19 said:

Francesca ADORES Andrew Luck..... Andrew might  be one of Francecsa's favorite players ever !!!!!....He is starting to sound like the Colts will destroy Andrews career......He wishes Andrew got drafted by someone other than the Colts !

You know what, the colts might have already destroyed his career .

Here's an alternative.

•  
  • 162 posts

This may initially sound crazy, but think about it.  JB has functioned admirably having been thrown into a sad situation and bad oLine.  I think the OC needs to go also.  With Luck becoming an unknown quantity, and he and Irsay seem not to be on the same page, how about this?  Gulp!

We trade Luc to Cleveland for 2 #1's and a #2!  That would give us 3 #1's and 2 #2's.  With that scenario we culd really rebuild this team!  JB gets to grow into the starting QB job.

I know, I must be crazy!  JMO