Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Annoyed By ESPN Analysts [Merge]

BProland85

Not wanting the backups to fail, does not translate to being unselfish.

Allowing backups to take reps does translate to being unselfish.

I don't know what the subjects of discussions are in his upcoming/ongoing (?) talks with Irsay will be.

I am going by his past behavior.

Irsay said EVERYTHING is on the table.

We can safely assume this is part of everything...

Manning may feel he needs endless reps to win.

I would not brand exclusivity of practice reps as being selfish or unselfish.

His job for his teammates and his fans is to be as prepared as he needs to be.

.I am going by his past behavior, too.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irsay said EVERYTHING is on the table.

We can safely assume this is part of everything...

LOL, who knows? Maybe the only thing that they will talk about is Tiger Woods.

Manning may feel he needs endless reps to win.

I would not brand exclusivity of practice reps as being selfish or unselfish.

His job for his teammates and his fans is to be as prepared as he needs to be.

I do not pretend to understand what goes on in his head.

I can only see his behavior. In the past, he hogged all the reps.

.I am going by his past behavior, too.

If you are going by his past behavior, you would conjecture that he will repeat his past behavior in taking all the practice snaps.

Back to the original topic...I've lost almost all respect for ESPN. They used to be the authority in regards to reporting sports news, because they were the only 24 hour television source for sports. Now, there are many other sports networks, not to mention all of the sports websites. I think they make bold statements and predictions just to keep their name out there, but they are really hurting their credibility.

Lately, they seem to spend most of their energy and air-time giving us daily (or even hourly) 15 minute features on Tim Tebow and Jeremy Lin. They are so into overkill, until we're disgusted with even the mention of the names Tebow and Lin. All the speculation about Peyton Manning has been even worse. If I weren't a Colts fan, I would be so anti-Colts and anti-Manning right now, due to the fact that I can't watch Sports Center each day without some new "news" about the team and the Manning situation.

I've had my fill of the ESPN drama...going to look for my sports information elsewhere, since it will likely be more credible.

nice post.

If you are going by his past behavior, you would conjecture that he will repeat his past behavior in taking all the practice snaps.

You would (I love that word conjecture..so glad you taught it top me)

Hogged..is a prejorative term (prejorative means: It has negative connotations)

You really dont like Peyton Manning, do you?

If that's the cas, its okay...I sense a percentage here do not..

I disagree w/the folks at ESPN, like I almost always do, most of the talking heads they have there are being paid to say controversial stuff whether they actually believe it or not, and with that said...

The Positives (all this is under the assumption Peyton is gone):

-Luck will be able to come in and have a solid rookie year, not spectacular like Cam Newton, but a solid one like Dalton had, so instantly our QB play will improve 10 fold over last year

-RB, After last season I have re-stored faith in Donald Brown, he really impressed me when he got out in space, and I think he has to potential to blossom into a 1,000 yard 7 TD rusher. Not to mention I still have faith Delone Carter, he had a case of the fumbles, but I think an entire off season working with pro coaches will help, and being an SU fan I saw alot of him, and he can be a good change of pace back behind Brown.

-WR/TE, we still have some decent options for Luck to throw to, like Garcon and (hopefully) a healthy Austin Collie, and I can see us drafting a WR/TE somewhere round 2-4 (Adams? McNutt? Jones? Fleener?) so Luck won't be throwing into a graveyard of nobodies.

-O-line, Center will be an issue if Saturday is gone, but if I'm not mistaken Richard was drafted as a Center, and I think he is best suited for that position, and the return of Ijalana, and another year out of Castanzo will help, adding a veteran Guard thru FA won't hurt either if we can pull it off.

Jury's still out....

Defense: I think moving to the 3-4 will be beneficial for Hughes and Nevis, as they can slide to rush linebacker and 3-4 end, respectively, and should be able to become solid starters in that scheme. We'd have a serious need at NT however, which is why Poe would be a good selection if he's there at 34. We have some solid LB's like Angerer, and I think Connor has a bright future, and I'm still holding out hope on Wheeler (maybe Pagano and Manusky can help him break out). Secondary is a major issue, Barron might still be there at 34, and if Poe is gone, Barron would be an instant upgrade over whatever we have. CB is an issue too, I think Jerraud Powers can be a solid starting CB, but opposite him Lacey is terrible, but round 4 we could easily go after someone like Keith Tandy of WV or Brandon Boykin of UGA.

Special teams needs major help as well, I can't tell you the last time we had an effecting kick/punt returner, if in round 3 we can nab Joe Adams a WR/KR out of Arkansas it would be a major upgrade and we can finally have a dynamic returner capable of shifting field position.

Overall, we still have a ways to go to be a contender again, but we won't be nearly as bad as some people think, a 7-9 season is very realistic, not great but it would show major steps forward.

If that's the case, its okay...I sense a percentage here do not..

Some of us dont like Tim Tebow..

and he's God, you know.!

This is one of the reasons why I don't see that PM + Luck makes any sense.

For all those fans who think PM will help tutor Luck, or RG3, they do not see his past behavior that will dictate his future behavior. It is all wishful thinking.

PM will not tutor, teach, help his replacement.

When Farve didn't tutor Rogers I really thought it knocked his rep down a peg.

Now I hear Peyton acted the same way with Painter(not even letting him take snaps in practice) I feel the same way.But don't you think thats its a little irionic, that if Peyton would have helped develop Painter,like he should have, the colts may have won a few more games last year and NOT be in position to draft Luck. So Peyton essentially messed up his chance of that $28 mil bonus.

Back to the original topic...I've lost almost all respect for ESPN. They used to be the authority in regards to reporting sports news, because they were the only 24 hour television source for sports. Now, there are many other sports networks, not to mention all of the sports websites. I think they make bold statements and predictions just to keep their name out there, but they are really hurting their credibility.

Lately, they seem to spend most of their energy and air-time giving us daily (or even hourly) 15 minute features on Tim Tebow and Jeremy Lin. They are so into overkill, until we're disgusted with even the mention of the names Tebow and Lin. All the speculation about Peyton Manning has been even worse. If I weren't a Colts fan, I would be so anti-Colts and anti-Manning right now, due to the fact that I can't watch Sports Center each day without some new "news" about the team and the Manning situation.

I've had my fill of the ESPN drama...going to look for my sports information elsewhere, since it will likely be more credible.

I agree with this 100% Skip Bayless has turned the network into a laughing stock, some of the stuff that comes out of this man's mouth is laughable, and it's rubbed off on the whole network. I've never had much respect for Mark Schlareth (sp) to begin with but some of his thoughts become laughable at times too, they spark off dumb debates between the bone-headed Merril Hoge and Trent Dilfer about the same stuff over and over again, and it's gotten to the point if I hear about "is Tebow a great QB" or "should Peyton be back" one more time I'm burning my flat screen. Mike & Mike became a joke too, because they beat the same horse to death over and over again, I tried watching one day last week and they must have devoted a whole hour to Jeremy Lin alone (Dan Patrick Show has far surpassed M&M). Not to mention SC has become a joke b/c its all debates and no highlights (what the show was formed from). I hope the CBS Sports Network or NBC Sports can form a true highlight to challenge ESPN and SC, not to mention when I'm looking for actual stories SI.com, CBSSports.com, FoxSports.com and others have far surpassed ESPN.com (and they're all free).

To tie it all back, the things they're saying about the Colts they may not actually be saying what they think, just what their producers want them to say.

Sorry for the rant...

I agree with this 100% Skip Bayless has turned the network into a laughing stock, some of the stuff that comes out of this man's mouth is laughable, and it's rubbed off on the whole network. I've never had much respect for Mark Schlareth (sp) to begin with but some of his thoughts become laughable at times too, they spark off dumb debates between the bone-headed Merril Hoge and Trent Dilfer about the same stuff over and over again, and it's gotten to the point if I hear about "is Tebow a great QB" or "should Peyton be back" one more time I'm burning my flat screen. Mike & Mike became a joke too, because they beat the same horse to death over and over again, I tried watching one day last week and they must have devoted a whole hour to Jeremy Lin alone (Dan Patrick Show has far surpassed M&M). Not to mention SC has become a joke b/c its all debates and no highlights (what the show was formed from). I hope the CBS Sports Network or NBC Sports can form a true highlight to challenge ESPN and SC, not to mention when I'm looking for actual stories SI.com, CBSSports.com, FoxSports.com and others have far surpassed ESPN.com (and they're all free).

To tie it all back, the things they're saying about the Colts they may not actually be saying what they think, just what their producers want them to say.

Sorry for the rant...

I think the Colts are typically boring.. ...'All they do is win' to steal Skip Bayless' phrase

..like the NBA's San Antonio Spurs...

....They pit two parties against another for the purpose on controversy...

Forget us....

Jeremy Lin vs. Carmelo ....Who do you wnat to take the last shot!!

Jeremy Lin vs. LeBron..Who's do you want to take the last shot!!!

Jeremy Lin vs. Tiger....Who's more clutch!!!!!!

Its like the WWF of debates..they make up the fueds and none of it is real..

You're welcome.

Yes, it is a pejorative term (note the correct spelling). It denotes selfishness.

As other posters have posted, other elite QBs (Brady, Brees) have not hogged all the practice reps.

If that's the cas, its okay...I sense a percentage here do not..

Actually, I do like Peyton a lot. I admire his focus and desire to win. I admire his mental acuity that more than compensates for other physical attributes which he may lack.

I applaud him for leading the Colts to a SB win. I am grateful to him for winning many games for the Colts.

However, my admiration, and my gratitude to Peyton do not blind me to the realities of the current situation. Peyton has been injured to the extent that his rehabilitation to his pre-injury form is uncertain. I am unwilling to risk the long term interests of the Colts to keep him on roster, even at a reduced contract, as it will impede the ramp up of a highly-rated QB draft prospect, the best since Peyton.

I always want what is best for the Colts. And if that means saying goodbye to Peyton, and as much as it hurts to do so, so be it.

You're welcome.

Yes, it is a pejorative term (note the correct spelling). It denotes selfishness.

As other posters have posted, other elite QBs (Brady, Brees) have not hogged all the practice reps.

Actually, I do like Peyton a lot. I admire his focus and desire to win. I admire his mental acuity that more than compensates for other physical attributes which he may lack.

I applaud him for leading the Colts to a SB win. I am grateful to him for winning many games for the Colts.

However, my admiration, and my gratitude to Peyton do not blind me to the realities of the current situation. Peyton has been injured to the extent that his rehabilitation to his pre-injury form is uncertain. I am unwilling to risk the long term interests of the Colts to keep him on roster, even at a reduced contract, as it will impede the ramp up of a highly-rated QB draft prospect, the best since Peyton.

I always want what is best for the Colts. And if that means saying no to Peyton, and as much as it hurts to do so, so be it.

Sorry for the misspelling......I'm still getting used to conjecture

I see the best case scenario for the 2012 Colts as being with Peyton Manning at QB.

Beyond 2012...I dont know. I think its unrealistic to plan too deeply into the future.....but I dont ignore the future.

That's why I want both of them.....and then I have no worries at QB. Pey-Luck is coming

..and I promise you you're going to like it more than a Hannah Storm miniskirt.. :flirty:

the next time Peyton Manning cannot play for reasons of injury, departurte or retirement with honor..I want the 'next man up'

(our catch phrase) to be Andrew Luck...and I dont care how long he has to wait...

That's what's best for the Colts and if it fools Andrew Luck's development..so be it.

some of us are foolish (see my spelling :rulez: )

I guess I'm unwilling to sacrifice what I see as 2012 playoff possibilities for developmental steps of a new QB when it could be a division or AFC title we are forfeiting by sending a recovering Manning to another team...

I think we have an honest disagreement here... :shake:

I see the best case scenario for the 2012 Colts as being with Peyton Manning at QB.

Beyond 2012...I dont know. I think its unrealistic to plan too deeply into the future.....but I dont ignore the future.

That's why I want both of them.....and then I have no worries at QB. Pey-Luck is coming

..and I promise you you're going to like it more than a Hannah Storm miniskirt.. :flirty:

the next time Peyton Manning cannot play for reasons of injury, departurte or retirement with honor..I want the 'next man up'

(our catch phrase) to be Andrew Luck...and I dont care how long he has to wait...

That's what's best for the Colts and if it fools Andrew Luck's development..so be it.

I guess I'm unwilling to sacrifice what I see as 2012 playoff possibilities for developmental steps of a new QB when it could be a division or AFC title we are forfeiting by sending a recovering Manning to another team...

It's perfectly OK to disagree. :drink:

This is one of the reasons why I don't see that PM + Luck makes any sense.

For all those fans who think PM will help tutor Luck, or RG3, they do not see his past behavior that will dictate his future behavior. It is all wishful thinking.

PM will not tutor, teach, help his replacement.

exactly. hes into himself way to much. it will hurt the team more and hurt luck even more or even RG3. i had to come on to the colts forum after reading the RG3 changing his pro day on espn. *s talking about how RG3 is going to be the better QB because he is black. and thats the only reason they could come up with. i wanted to go to a mirror say bloody marry 3 times and have my eyes scratched out after that lol

i disagree...but its your opinion and i respect that. the reason i disagree though is because there is no guarentee PM even gets the colts to the playoffs next year. there is just to many holes on that team not even Montana in his prime could even cover up. if anything itll make PM go out as a loser and as colts fans that shouldnt be what we want to happen. its better if he just leaves and retires. or go to a team that has ashot at the superbowl.

When Farve didn't tutor Rogers I really thought it knocked his rep down a peg.

Now I hear Peyton acted the same way with Painter(not even letting him take snaps in practice) I feel the same way.But don't you think thats its a little irionic, that if Peyton would have helped develop Painter,like he should have, the colts may have won a few more games last year and NOT be in position to draft Luck. So Peyton essentially messed up his chance of that $28 mil bonus.

Yes, with hindsight, PM will see his mistake. But it is too late. The Colts "achieved" the worst record last season, and "earned" the #1 overall pick, which Luck, with PM's advice to stay in school an extra year, happens to be the top prospect.

If only PM advised Luck to go pro early last year.

If only PM tutored Painter so that the Colts would win a few more games last season.

This is the confluence of strange coincidences.

I don't know if the link works, and if this is duplicate, please delete. Watch the conversation. The young lady in the middle merely starts the conversation - so don't mind her. However, after Schefter talks a bit about the Steelers, Tim Hasselbeck mentions the Colts and FA matters. At no point does TH mention Robert Mathis - however - AS feels it necessary to say "You mentioned Robert Mathis.." - umm.. no, he didn't.

link - http://espn.go.com/?topId=7595115

My stance - I am a Colts fan through and through. Do I want Peyton back? Sure - if he's healthy. I would hate to see him get hurt or play less than he's capable of. Do I want Luck on this team? Yes, I feel he is our future. More importantly, it would be my hope that the media would just start reporting the facts instead of putting words in each other's mouths. They have already sold PM out the front door and out of town, but to state something that was never said? Come on, have some class.

I don't know if the link works, and if this is duplicate, please delete. Watch the conversation. The young lady in the middle merely starts the conversation - so don't mind her. However, after Schefter talks a bit about the Steelers, Tim Hasselbeck mentions the Colts and FA matters. At no point does TH mention Robert Mathis - however - AS feels it necessary to say "You mentioned Robert Mathis.." - umm.. no, he didn't.

link - http://espn.go.com/?topId=7595115

My stance - I am a Colts fan through and through. Do I want Peyton back? Sure - if he's healthy. I would hate to see him get hurt or play less than he's capable of. Do I want Luck on this team? Yes, I feel he is our future. More importantly, it would be my hope that the media would just start reporting the facts instead of putting words in each other's mouths. They have already sold PM out the front door and out of town, but to state something that was never said? Come on, have some class.

Well, according to the media:

-Peyton and Irsay are at odds with each other

-The decision regarding Peyton was made when Pagano was hired...before the Super Bowl...after the Super Bowl...before the combine

-Andrew Luck will absolutely not in any way sit behind Peyton and must play immediately

-There is no chance Peyton comes back to the Colts

-Peyton is attracting tons of attention to himself and is being selfish and greedy

-Peyton should just retire because he won't ever be as good as he once was

-Irsay doesn't want Peyton back in Indy

-Peyton doesn't want to be back in Indy

They have repeatedly stated that we are a LONG time from contending again, even with Luck. Here is why I disagree...

-We are getting back our 2nd and 3rd round picks from last year when they were injured most of the year. Plus Contanzo was dealing with injuries most of the year as well. Adding Ijalana and a healthy Contanzo to this OL will make it much better and we could very well be adding OG Ben Grubbs in FA as well. Drake Nevis will also be back from injury and could be a valuable asset to our DL.

-We actually have a HC with passion and motivation, especially on the defensive side of the ball. And Pagano brings creativity to our defensive schemes as well.

-Donald Brown seems to be coming into his own, and he could be in line to have a 1000 yard season. I have always thought he had good talent, just hasnt been used properly and we had a poor run blocking OL for awhile.

-We will finally get to see Jerry Hughes used in a way that he should be effective, as a stand up pass rusher in the 3-4. He was undersized at DE, but standing him up will free him up to use that athletism he posseses.

To sum of what I'm saying, I think we will see a lot of promise from some of our younger guys like Contanzo, Ijalana, Nevis, Brown, Hughes, and anyone else I have missed. We have talent on this team, and now we will see what new schemes will look like and new coaching which will allow our players to read and react more than thinking too much on the field.

A lot of these theories are reaching pretty far into the wishing well, but I will agree that we can't just swallow whatever the analysts are feeding us.

Sadly, however, most people don't want to think for themselves and thus accept the headlines and sound bytes that are most easily regurgitated. Why go against the grain when you can just say what everyone else is saying, you know? It's easier, avoids confrontation, and requires no in-depth thought. That sort of metality has taken over political discussions, scientific discussions, religious discussions, and of course, sports discussions.

Well, according to the media:

-Peyton and Irsay are at odds with each other

-The decision regarding Peyton was made when Pagano was hired...before the Super Bowl...after the Super Bowl...before the combine

-Andrew Luck will absolutely not in any way sit behind Peyton and must play immediately

-There is no chance Peyton comes back to the Colts

-Peyton is attracting tons of attention to himself and is being selfish and greedy

-Peyton should just retire because he won't ever be as good as he once was

-Irsay doesn't want Peyton back in Indy

-Peyton doesn't want to be back in Indy

Yeah ESPN just needs to stick to Linsanity, unfortunately that's dying down ever so slightly. They will start talking more about the current situation with the Colts probably more and more with March approaching and the combine going on, blah!!!!!

If there is anything I hate about the offseason it is the repetitive reporting and digging up crap on any story and twisting it into news. I am sick to freaking death of hearing the name Manning and Lin already. I almost ALMOST miss the name Tebow lol. I also realize that the Manning thing is a huge deal in the NFL and warrants a lot of talk but they go overboard with reading into everything that is said or done. The Lin deal is a big thing for 2 reasons. 1. he is an asain playing rediculous ball right now and 2. Its a real feel good story of what seems like a really good kid who has struggled to stay in the NBA and now he owns it (for the moment).

Of course look at the mainstream media The media is absolutely rediculous in all aspects, not just in sports. Anything to get their soundbites heard and people checking in.

Edited by Maureen
political comments not allowed

If these changes are no good at all, then what is "good" for them? I'm really starting to think they dislike us for having Manning and the chance to draft Luck/RGIII...

LOL, Everybody hates a winner

There's a fair number of people out there (not colts fans) who actually hate Peyton Manning. And really what's there to hate there besides his AWESOMENESS?

LOL, Everybody hates a winner

There's a fair number of people out there (not colts fans) who actually hate Peyton Manning. And really what's there to hate there besides his AWESOMENESS?

We aren't winner yet, but we own good positions, and if we use this chance well, we will be great for an other decade!

Nice piece of task for the FO and Irsay. :)

Edited by HungarianColtsFan

If there is anything I hate about the offseason it is the repetitive reporting and digging up crap on any story and twisting it into news. I am sick to freaking death of hearing the name Manning and Lin already. I almost ALMOST miss the name Tebow lol. I also realize that the Manning thing is a huge deal in the NFL and warrants a lot of talk but they go overboard with reading into everything that is said or done. The Lin deal is a big thing for 2 reasons. 1. he is an asain playing rediculous ball right now and 2. Its a real feel good story of what seems like a really good kid who has struggled to stay in the NBA and now he owns it (for the moment).

Of course look at the mainstream media The media is absolutely rediculous in all aspects, not just in sports. Anything to get their soundbites heard and people checking in.

Are you kidding me, political? Really as in what part had any political validity into it in my post? It was an analogy not an endorsement or a statement of politics. really?

We aren't winner yet, but we own good positions, and if we use this chance well, we will be great for an other decade!

Nice piece of task for the FO and Irsay. :)

I mean the Colts have had an historic run with Manning.

And now, the opportunity presented with this first round draft pick.....is more than haters can stand

Aside from this past season, the Colts have been awesome and my feeling is we will get back to that

I mean the Colts have had an historic run with Manning.

And now, the opportunity presented with this first round draft pick.....is more than haters can stand

Aside from this past season, the Colts have been awesome and my feeling is we will get back to that

You are right. We had a really historic decade with Manning, sorry for misunderstanding You.

I hope he and the newly drafted one will give us another decade of fame.

Sorry for the rant...

No need to apologize...you made very good points, too. I've been watching the NBC Sports Network a lot lately, especially the 6:00 p.m. program with highlights, news and interviews. I know Jeremy Lin is a story; so is Peyton and so are the Colts and NBC makes mention of them as they should. But, they are not devoting daily 10-15 minute segments on these topics, even when there's not really anything new to report.

Good point on Bayless...and the NFL analysts...I would add Stephen A. Smith to the list. Just because you scream your opinions doesn't make them any more credible.

Manning-gate for sure

As far as that video, the only issue I had was the comment that there are a lot of changes in Indy and none of them good.

really? NONE?

My take on the "none of them good" comment was just that the possibility of losing so many key veterans through free agency and/or retirement (Saturday) isn't a good thing. I didn't take it as he was knocking the changes at GM, HC, etc. I might be wrong but I think he was just strictly talking about players.

I'm going to get my sports news someplace other than ESPN, and will get it when something ACTUALLY HAPPENS! What a novel idea, huh?

i had quite a busy weekend, and I was headed to check out highlights from the great Pacer game against the Bobcats. I walked away from my lappy, and the video started playing (i must have clicked it absentmindedly, as my touchpad is like a cat on fire. i hear schefter's voice and steelers woes, and then it turned to the colts. by that time my hands were tied. aye.. too late.

Manning-gate for sure

As far as that video, the only issue I had was the comment that there are a lot of changes in Indy and none of them good.

really? NONE?

Yeah, that irked me as well. i did the good old AltF4 on it.

On a side note - I want to do a nice write up on RCA (the tv), Georgia, and the Colts. Where can/should I post that?

Yeah, that irked me as well. i did the good old AltF4 on it.

On a side note - I want to do a nice write up on RCA (the tv), Georgia, and the Colts. Where can/should I post that?

Hey I didn't recognize you! Looking forward to the georgia update.

You can post in blogs here or if you want to submit it to colts.com for the featured blogger you can paste it in an email to me

If you have something else you'd like to post to colts.com you can send that

I ask for people to submit things for colts.com and I need more!: http://blogs.colts.com/category/fan-feature/

The only rule with colts.com is that they want exclusive right to post so, it cannot appear anywhere else first. Also, same rules as the forum in terms of personal shots.....profanity etc..

Anyone else who has something to say that they'd like to submit to fan feature should just send it to me in a message as well

blog on!

i disagree...but its your opinion and i respect that. the reason i disagree though is because there is no guarentee PM even gets the colts to the playoffs next year. there is just to many holes on that team not even Montana in his prime could even cover up. if anything itll make PM go out as a loser and as colts fans that shouldnt be what we want to happen. its better if he just leaves and retires. or go to a team that has ashot at the superbowl.

What guarantee is there that Luck will bring any success? Let alone next year? As to the Montana comment: he never had to cover up holes. Their teams were ridiculous for more than 10 years. That's why Young, Bono, and Garcia were able to still win and reach the playoffs with practically the same bunch of leftovers. Manning is the bar as far as making up for a team's shortcomings. I also don't buy that this team would have been worse than the 2010 squad.

Why should he not "hog" the reps? It's not his job to worry about what Luck is doing, outside of the occasional tips, and relying on his unbiased eyes from the sideline. Michael Jordan, Roger Federer, Tiger Woods, Muhammad Ali... what do they all have in common? They are/were the greatest at what they did, without question. They all won ridiculous amounts of titles/championships/whatever, and did so because they were selfish. To be the best, you can't be willing to give away chances to improve and win.

Manning owes nothing to Luck, or the Colts to give away reps if he feels he needs them. Luck would need to do as Rodgers did and develop on his own. That's his job, and the job of the coaches. Not Manning's.

What guarantee is there that Luck will bring any success? Let alone next year? As to the Montana comment: he never had to cover up holes. Their teams were ridiculous for more than 10 years. That's why Young, Bono, and Garcia were able to still win and reach the playoffs with practically the same bunch of leftovers. Manning is the bar as far as making up for a team's shortcomings. I also don't buy that this team would have been worse than the 2010 squad.

IMO, it is a better quality guarantee (lower risk) than the other guarantee that predicts Peyton Manning will bring success given the current status of his arm.

Why should he not "hog" the reps? It's not his job to worry about what Luck is doing, outside of the occasional tips, and relying on his unbiased eyes from the sideline. Michael Jordan, Roger Federer, Tiger Woods, Muhammad Ali... what do they all have in common? They are/were the greatest at what they did, without question. They all won ridiculous amounts of titles/championships/whatever, and did so because they were selfish. To be the best, you can't be willing to give away chances to improve and win.

PM should not hog the reps, because it prevents the development of his back-ups. I think we all saw the results of how prepared his back-ups were last season.

Compared to a similar situation with Brady/Cassel, the Pats did a good job in making sure Cassel had his reps so that he could be more prepared in case Brady went down, as he did with his knee injury.

Manning owes nothing to Luck, or the Colts to give away reps if he feels he needs them. Luck would need to do as Rodgers did and develop on his own. That's his job, and the job of the coaches. Not Manning's.

Did I claim Manning owed anything to anyone?

The Colts HC should have insisted that Painter get his reps, and overrule what Manning wants.

I don't think Manning will be back, for you anyway.

And keep underestimating the Texans. I like it that way.

You wouldn't normally see me saying this, but there is a chance that Luck will become a star, which spells doom for the Texans for another decade.

Mm-mm-mm. You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in France?