Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Two coaches for the price of one.

Trace Pyott

I was thinking about our current coaching situation and even though I cannot stand pagano coaching our team anymore,  I know

that more than likely we will just promote chud or Philbin and neither of those excite me as HC.  However the more I thought about it a thought popped into my head. Why not basically get a freebie try with shottenheimer?  We could go ahead and do the inevitable and fire pagano and promote our young qb coach and see how he does. If the team really responds then we keep him as HC if not then we do what we were going to do anyways and go hire a new guy that is not on the staff. Basically you get a free shot at getting a good coach. Any coach you hire is a gamble and just like flipping a coin the more times you flip it the more chances you will have of you landing on the side you want and we literally have nothing to lose at this point so why not?

That is absolutely the only excuse I see for firing a HC mid-season, & I suppose of all posible candidates already with the organization to take over interim, Shottenheimer would be as likely a candidate as anyone. However, with that said, I don't think the Colts next HC is currently on staff, so I am assuming that Irsay/Ballard will let Pagano ride out the season, but what do I know...

Hopefully Ballard has a clear vision for the team, and has his own short list of candidates. 

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Please tell me what in the Hades Schottenheimer has done to get HC consideration?

Half of you sometimes I wonder if you just look at him and say "Well he looks like he might be smart so what the hell".

Right I don't want any of the staff to be our coach 

Shotty has had little success with OC roles in the past.  I would not care to hold him in consideration for HC either.  I also do not see Pagano going anywhere because Ballard is going to pick the next guy.  The staff is not his so he probably does not care to have any other guy as HC either.

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Please tell me what in the Hades Schottenheimer has done to get HC consideration? Half of you sometimes I wonder if you just look at him and say "Well he looks like he might be smart so what the hell".

Right, I think Shottenheimer probably benefits from name recognition. The only real reason I assume he gets the interim position if Pagano is let go mid-season is because I wouldn't give it to Chud or Philbin...

Process of elimination at that point...

Again, reasons why I see Pagano finishing out the season...

1 minute ago, Buck Showalter said:

Right, I think Shottenheimer probably benefits from name recognition. The only real reason I assume he gets the interim position if Pagano is let go mid-season is because I wouldn't give it to Chud or Philbin...

I feel the same way about firing a coach as do about the NFL Trade Deadline

Just now, Buck Showalter said:

I think Philbin would get it because he's the Assistant Head Coach.     Speaking about a mid season firing.   Doubt Irsay fires mid season anyway.   I don't think Chuck could produce a worse performance than what happened with Caldwell years ago.  Irsay rode that out until the end of the season.     

2 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Yeah if we didn't fire Chuck after last Sunday I see him staying until the end of the season. After that it will get interesting. Then it will be open.

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Hate to break to some if CP is let go his interim replacement is currently on staff

I think that is pretty well understood. Sometimes I have a bad memory, but I can not think of any instance where a HC was replaced mid-season with someone not already on staff... 

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I seen them, no biggy my friend. I just cant wait for next year because with Andrew 100% and another Draft by Ballard I think we will be so much better and fun to watch again.

Not concerned about next year  

Can’t wait until next when NDWBB and PCHS basketball starts

12 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Because they both ought to be let go, too!

You fire a HC in the middle of a season, you do not fire the whole staff.  Again, this makes no sense. 

I do not think they should or even will fire anyone, but maybe Monachino, and that is even doubtful.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

You fire a HC in the middle of a season, you do not fire the whole staff.  Again, this makes no sense. 

I do not think they should or even will fire anyone, but maybe Monachino, and that is even doubtful.

What often happens is that a OC/DC is demoted or has their play calling duties taken away

Just now, PrincetonTiger said:

What often happens is that a OC/DC is demoted or has their play calling duties taken away

In response to his comment is what I was referring to.  I still will say if anything happens Monachino is let go, and that is the only IF I see.  I have said that I highly doubt anyone is let go before the end of the season.

44 minutes ago, krunk said:

Please tell me what in the Hades Schottenheimer has done to get HC consideration? Half of you sometimes I wonder if you just look at him and say "Well he looks like he might be smart so what the hell".

I agree with the OP and have been saying the same thing since the Rams game.Its not so much to give him HC consideration as it is that Im ready to get rid of Chuck and I have zero interest in chud or Philbin. I would however also settle for firing Chuck and chud and promoting Philbin to interim HC and schottenheimer to interim OC

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that I think anyone on staff will be the answer to our coaching woes all I am saying is we have absolutely nothing to lose except maybe a better draft pick which is another discussion entirely. All I am saying is I'm sick of pags and if he's going to go anyways why not see what we got in schottenheimer. I'm not a huge fan of his but I think if we had to go in house he would be the lesser of evils. 

At this point I think you just let him fully sink the ship. We aren't going to get any spark of life from a new coach anyways.

2017 Colts are dead in the water. No Luck, injuries everywhere and roster that still needs one more draft and FA period.

Let him sink it and punch his ticket out of town. Forget all the interim coach stuff.

Right now there are 9 games to go with not even a guaranteed return of Luck to look forward to.  That's a lot of games. The situation looks pretty dire to just about everyone.  I can see the Colts playing to a half empty stadium pretty soon.  Jim might feel he has to make a move somewhere just to show the fans he is trying to do something to improve the situation.  Seeing empty seats and losing that revenue is not going to sit well.  I can see some kind of change or changes happening no later than the bye week if we keep losing.  

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Right now there are 9 games to go with not even a guaranteed return of Luck to look forward to.  That's a lot of games. The situation looks pretty dire to just about everyone.  I can see the Colts playing to a half empty stadium pretty soon.  Jim might feel he has to make a move somewhere just to show the fans he is trying to do something to improve the situation.  Seeing empty seats and losing that revenue is not going to sit well.  I can see some kind of change or changes happening no later than the bye week if we keep losing.  

A coaching change might not be the fix