Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why are coaches making Brisett throw a lot?

colts2dasuperbowl

He's still new to the team, We doesn't know all our playbook. Without Luck, our game plan should be to focus more on running the ball and waste time, whether we are successful or not. That is our best bet to win games. We won SF with rushing the ball a lot and eat out the clock, and then we almost came out with a W against TEN until we decided to make Brisett throw in the second half. I didn't watch Jaguars game so I can't really say much about the game but they should just pound with Gore and get Mack more involved in the game. Don't force Brisett to make bad throws!

3 minutes ago, CF4L said:

I agree that would require common sense. 

Plus I think some of these games might've been wins had we ran the ball more(Arizona, Titans)

This team do great in 1st half and then from there, it's a downhill slope. 2nd half they stop our running game and then they force Brisett to throw. What we are not doing is that we don't do much of wr bubble screens and rb screens, no slants. All the passes that Brisett throws are timing routes or hail marys. =(

7 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Three 2 yard runs equals 6. Not happening with this line 

That is because we are only rushing the middle. Anyways, my point is they are making Brisett do too much, more than he can handle. Our running game is the same, we are just pounding the middle. Opposite teams know where we are going to run. We need to come up with better running game. We need to get Mack more involved with rushing and catching. I don't mind Brisett throwing but put him in a situation where he can succeed.

5 minutes ago, colts2dasuperbowl said:

That is because we are only rushing the middle. Anyways, my point is they are making Brisett do too much, more than he can handle. Our running game is the same, we are just pounding the middle. Opposite teams know where we are going to run. We need to come up with better running game. We need to get Mack more involved with rushing and catching. I don't mind Brisett throwing but put him in a situation where he can succeed.

Mack definitely needs to see an increased role. 

23 minutes ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i think pitchouts to mack would do wonders

I think not actually our line isn't agile enough to be in front of him once he catches that pitch..Zone Stretchs would benefit us because there would be a cutback lane and Mack loves to cutback if he can 

16 hours ago, OLD FAN MAN said:

i think pitchouts to mack would do wonders

I think that this is very true ! But I think that there is a real simple way to form a winning game plan for the Colts. Since all of our games have followed the same strategy, simply do the opposite of what we have done in every game this year !   Instead of playing the first half with aggression ,try playing the first half conservatively and then strike hard in the second half. I realize that this does not fix all of our woes, such as having a new inexperienced quarterback or the fact that most of our receivers seem to have a pregame ritual that involves smearing their hands with large amounts of warm butter . I do think , however , that doing a total reversal of tactics would be in our favor and would probably catch our opponents by surprise.                                                                                                                                                    Besides, could my new strategy be any worse than the one we are using now ?

23 minutes ago, krunk said:

I swear it seems like we only have 1 running play.   They don't really try to do anything else.

I think this is Pagano's vision -- 3 yards and a cloud of dust. There is no misdirection. Just line up, telegraph the run and plow straight ahead.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Define "a lot".  He's averaging about 33 attempts per game.  To me that is not "a lot".

It is a lot for a QB that barely knows the system and isn't a top 10 QB.  The last two weeks he has been top 10 in attempts.  I get it against Jacksonville, since they were playing from behind.  But in the Tennessee game they really should have slowed things down.  

5 minutes ago, Corndog said:

It is a lot for a QB that barely knows the system and isn't a top 10 QB.  The last two weeks he has been top 10 in attempts.  I get it against Jacksonville, since they were playing from behind.  But in the Tennessee game they really should have slowed things down.  

Not know the system is no longer an excuse.  And then you're complaint is about the last two weeks, in which one week you understand.

The Colts are averaging 62 plays a game and are throwing on average for 33.5 plays per game.  They are throwing the ball on average 54% of the time.  That is about as even as you can get in the NFL.

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

Not know the system is no longer an excuse.  And then you're complaint is about the last two weeks, in which one week you understand.

The Colts are averaging 62 plays a game and are throwing on average for 33.5 plays per game.  They are throwing the ball on average 54% of the time.  That is about as even as you can get in the NFL.

So basically they need to slow the game down.  

33 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Actually that's the problem. Should be able to run 80 plays a game.

6 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Again, 54% of the time.  You can't slow the game down any more than that.

Twelfth in the league for total offensive plays, they can slow the game down.   14th in the league for percentage of run plays at 43.1%(basically average), they can call more rushing plays.  We have two solid running backs and a QB capable of making runs.  

5 minutes ago, -JJ- said:

Actually that's the problem. Should be able to run 80 plays a game.

Yeah we need to run more offensive plays per game to ensure our QB gets hit more and offensive line is even more worn out.  Also, if the offense wants to speed up, you also risk having the defense on the field longer with shorter 3 and outs or quicker drives.    This isn't the Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck offense that can score three TDs in 5 minutes.  

22 minutes ago, Corndog said:

Yeah we need to run more offensive plays per game to ensure our QB gets hit more and offensive line is even more worn out.  Also, if the offense wants to speed up, you also risk having the defense on the field longer with shorter 3 and outs or quicker drives.    This isn't the Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck offense that can score three TDs in 5 minutes.  

Just to comment on the last sentence.

It used to be nice to have an offensive juggernaut. This O right now is a crap sale.

1 hour ago, IinD said:

Just to comment on the last sentence.

It used to be nice to have an offensive juggernaut. This O right now is a crap sale.

Most of this team is a crap sale.  As far as the offense, build the O line and couple it with capable coaching, it can be turned around rather quickly.  

21 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No doubt about it.  Although I would say that is A problem, not THE problem.

I correct myself. I thought I heard BB say there were about 80 plays a game.

Looking up those stats - 2016 the average no of plays was 64.

21 hours ago, Corndog said:

I wasn't saying run more plays to get the QB hit. I meant overall-like the defense getting off the field etc.

However as I mentioned to coffedrinker I was wrong at 80 and the avg is 64 plays per game which he says the colts are at 62 right now.

BTW O lines don't get tired - unlike a defense which does a lot of running around.