Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pretty Good Stampede Blue Article on the Colts D

PeterBowman

You could argue the opposition hasn't been the best in terms of offenses but you can only play who you are up against and certainly some encouraging figures in there, even though we are only at week 3.

If we can get Vontae back and have a bit more finishing on the pass rush we could have a very strong unit for the rest of the season and beyond.

With those numbers it seems like the defense is a "Don't bend, just break" defense instead of a bend, don't break.

When you consider all the new faces the D has done pretty well.  If the Colts can ever get in a situation where

- Davis, Wilson and Hairston are on the field at the same time

- And the Colts never have to send Butler onto the field again ( I should harp on Butler so much, in the past couple of      years he has gone from one of the better slot WR cover guys in the league to someone who is afraid of contact, it's        sad)

they will be pretty good.

4 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

If nothing else, the early part of this season is building depth and experience playing together. 

If Vonte and Geathers return healthy, it could be a top 15-20 unit. (That's assuming they don't lose anybody for the year)

I'm not counting on Geathers this season (maybe never).  With Melvin playing decent, I hope Davis waits until he's completely healthy.  Wilson, Hairston, and even Desir, that's really decent depth that will only get better.

I think the only weak spot (or maybe weakest spot) on the team is Bostic at ILB.  He's decent against a run up the middle but his lateral movement just isn't there.  Morrison has been good, Sheard is improving, and Simon is playing at an All Pro level.  D line is very good and starting safeties are decent.

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I think the only weak spot (or maybe weakest spot) on the team is Bostic at ILB.  He's decent against a run up the middle but his lateral movement just isn't there.  Morrison has been good, Sheard is improving, and Simon is playing at an All Pro level.  D line is very good and starting safeties are decent.

He is an upgrade from what we had last year. I don't think he's that bad, but he could be a little quicker. 

14 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

He is an upgrade from what we had last year. I don't think he's that bad, but he could be a little quicker. 

The entire defense is an upgrade from what we had last year.  Bostic is not a cover LB.  He's decent against the run but gets lost when he has to trail a TE or RB out of the backfield. 

I'm not sure what the deal is with Spence.  I was hoping he'd be that guy.

What is the deal with Spence?

Seems like he got in Pags doghouse (ala Morris) and didn't get a real chance. Played very little in preseason too.

His signing when it happened seemed like he was a favorite to start.

If it is on Pagano I just have to say you fix stupid!