Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zach Banner-Offensive Line Needs

D-lineman

Zach Banner is charasmatic and seems like a good dude. Because of this and his freakish size, many of us rooted for him and hoped he could get weight down and be stud right tackle.  He may be on practice squad and eventually make an NFL roster but  NFL requires speed and athleticism,  Banner is limited. Hopefully our line continues to improve as I'm tired of seeing Luck in street clothes.  I suspect Colts will be drafting O-Line early again next year 

I hate to sound like I'm complaining, but I think they really botched the O-line this offseason (once again). I remember taking criticism on draft day because I said I thought we were making a mistake being complacent with the O-line. Fast forward a few months and things are even worse than I thought with our 2 depth additions being cut and our projected starting RT being benched in favor of a former UDFA who's never started a game before. Oh and we're starting a UDFA rookie at center too. Jeez.

We're going to need the coaching staff to get creative for our offense to be good this season. Hats off to them if they can, this is where they earn their paycheck. 

19 minutes ago, #12. said:

Remember, Ballard admitted this was Philbin's pick, not his.  

No...   that's NOT what he said.

Ballatd likd Banner.    He asked Philbin to get involved and work him out.     Philbin worked him out a large number of times and liked him too.    Philbin signed off on the pick.

But the puck was Ballatd's with Philbin's agreement.

You've distorted what Ballard said and meant.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Ballatd likd Banner.    He asked Philbin to get involved and work him out.     Philbin worked him out a large number of times and liked him too.    Philbin signed off on the pick.

Every GM is the next great thing since sliced bread till the newness wears out and he makes moves that fans don't like. That is just the way it goes. :) 

No GM bats even .500 in the draft. As a combination of draft and free agency, if 3 out of every 5 moves work for a GM, he would be a successful one in the NFL, and that is just .600, that is the nature of the NFL with no way to predict injuries or player performance from one year to another.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is what I renember too. Ballard flew out to S California with Philbin at one point 

5 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

I hate to sound like I'm complaining, but I think they really botched the O-line this offseason (once again). I remember taking criticism on draft day because I said I thought we were making a mistake being complacent with the O-line. Fast forward a few months and things are even worse than I thought with our 2 depth additions being cut and our projected starting RT being benched in favor of a former UDFA who's never started a game before. Oh and we're starting a UDFA rookie at center too. Jeez.

We're going to need the coaching staff to get creative for our offense to be good this season. Hats off to them if they can, this is where they earn their paycheck. 

You've  completely mischarcterized the offseason.     It was a terrible draft for O-lineman.    This came one year after investing four picks on the line.   We spent a 1, 3, 5 and 7 on the line in 16.

Compounding matters we had an atrocious defense and this was a tremendous draft for that side of the ball.

We had s solid starting five and there was no way to know that Kelly would beak a foot and Clark would regress for reasons unknown.    He looked very good in his three starts.

We invested in a solid backup and Scheenke got hurt.   The other free agents have been a nice surprise.   

Ballard handled this off season well IMO.   The problems that happened were out of our control.

This is Monday Mrning second guessing.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Do you have the quote or interview?  If I'm distorting it, provide what he said and show me how I've distorted it.   I remember him essentially saying the Banner pick was "all Philbin's."

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You've  completely mischarcterized the offseason.     It was a terrible draft for O-lineman.    This came one year after investing four picks on the line.   We spent a 1, 3, 5 and 7 on the line in 16.

Compounding matters we had an atrocious defense and this was a tremendous draft for that side of the ball.

We had s solid starting five and there was no way to know that Kelly would beak a foot and Clark would regress for reasons unknown.    He looked very good in his three starts.

We invested in a solid backup and Scheenke got hurt.   The other free agents have been a nice surprise.   

Ballard handled this off season well IMO.   The problems that happened were out of our control.

This is Monday Mrning second guessing.

I get the point on the draft, and I like Malik Hooker, for example. I don't think Ballard did bad all in all, particularly for his first off season. But we could've still gone after O-linemen in free agency, even if not the draft. T.J. Lang was available. Heck, even someone like Roanld Leary could've been had. But we just signed a backup center who we then cut. 

Also to your point about who could've know Clark would regress... I knew there was a very real chance, and I'm certainly not even close to the most knowledgable poster on this forum let alone a professional. It just felt premature how so many on this board threw up their hands in collective celebration that our O-line was finally "fixed". I was never convinced, and I couldn't have been the only one. 

Hopefully these free agents continue to impress - that's all we can do now! 

2 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Ya he was cut stupid move and Stephen Morris was cut too also stupid.

Jacoby Brisett is better than any backup we had. I liked Morris better than Tolzien, but Tolzien did show improvement and he more experience in the regular season. I think we just let things play out  

3 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

I get the point on the draft, and I like Malik Hooker, for example. I don't think Ballard did bad all in all, particularly for his first off season. But we could've still gone after O-linemen in free agency, even if not the draft. T.J. Lang was available. Heck, even someone like Roanld Leary could've been had. But we just signed a backup center who we then cut. 

Also to your point about who could've know Clark would regress... I knew there was a very real chance, and I'm certainly not even close to the most knowledgable poster on this forum let alone a professional. It just felt premature how so many on this board threw up their hands in collective celebration that our O-line was finally "fixed". I was never convinced, and I couldn't have been the only one. 

When it comes to this O-line, the worst thing that ever happened was CBS flashing the stat in the Vikings game that the Colts had only given up 7 sacks in the previous 7 games, or whatever it was.  Magically, overnight this fan base went from clamoring for a complete overhaul to believing the O-line was perfectly fine, and it seemed to infect the organization as well.  "The O-line is fixed".   In the final seven games, I believe we had a top 10 defense as well, yet no one believed the defense was fixed.

45 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

You weren't the only one. I along with @2006Coltsbestever I believe wanted to draft Lamp in round one who I believe has been IRd this year. I would still take it considering the oline is currently in shambles. But long term is what I'm looking for. I am also tired of seeing Andrew in street clothes. The Colts had a chance to take Lamp in round 2 if my memory serves me correctly. Lack of caring about the one guy who makes being a dynasty possible. Hopefully it doesn't get ignored again this offseason. 

There is a reason Peyton was uninjured the majority of his career early on, and a lot of it had to do with the Oline. 

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

You weren't the only one. I along with @2006Coltsbestever I believe wanted to draft Lamp in round one (I believe I has been IRd this year. I would still take it considering the oline is currently in shambles. But long term is what I'm looking for. I am also tired of seeing Andrew in street clothes. 

There were a few of us.  Repeatedly, I said I would be inclined to protect Luck first and worry about everything else later.  No Luck, no chance.

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

You weren't the only one. I along with @2006Coltsbestever I believe wanted to draft Lamp in round one (I believe I has been IRd this year. I would still take it considering the oline is currently in shambles. But long term is what I'm looking for. I am also tired of seeing Andrew in street clothes. 

I was a big fan of Lamp as well. He did tear an ACL I believe which is a shame, but I thought he looked like perhaps a slightly lesser version of Zack Martin. Only slightly, I thought he looked like he'd be a solid day 1 starter at guard and improve from there. 

In any event, I hope Luck can stay healthy. Having a subpar running game will not only open him up to taking more shots, but also make him less efficient as well. The coaching staff needs to do a better job of understanding this team's limitations on offense than they have in the past. If I put my optimism hat on, maybe they will without Grigson meddling in things. But we'll have to wait and see. 

On the plus side, the 2018 draft looks like it could be good for O-linemen. 

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Do you have the quote or interview?  If I'm distorting it, provide what he said and show me how I've distorted it.   I remember him essentially saying the Banner pick was "all Philbin's."

As A GM he was hired to build this team HIMSELF, not give token picks  away to coaches.

Whether Philbin wanted Banner or not, it's Ballard's Blunder that Banner was picked.

21 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

As A GM he was hired to build this team HIMSELF, not give token picks  away to coaches.

Whether Philbin wanted Banner or not, it's Ballard's Blunder that Banner was picked.

No one bats 100 percent. Not even Hoodie. I'm willing to give Ballard a chance. 

21 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I wasn't big on the Banner pick but hey, he seems like a good dude.

I was surprised but not shocked that he was let go. He really struggled at times, wasn't agile enough and really let people work him inside. He had potential I guess, but I thought he'd always struggle in that area.

maybe he hits the PS he just needs to drop a little bit more weight 358 is too big.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

It was a BAD, WASTED PICK.

Yup. I was told that people were going to trust the staff when I said so. They were enamored with his size, but he will never be a Sunday contributor. Wasted pick. 

22 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

maybe he hits the PS he just needs to drop a little bit more weight 358 is too big.

People have been waiting for him to drop weight since his sophomore year. . . in high school. 

3 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

I'm somewhat pleased with our Practice Squad signings.

Happy to see...

Fred Brown. 

Krieger - Coble

Sickles

Sankey

Glad sickles made it if he learns some moves could be a good pass rusher he had no problem mauling the bengals d line . Really stood out had a real quick twitch and impressive push . 

4 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He is terrible until he proves otherwise.

Brissett has already proved otherwise.

He's got actual NFL game experience and for a rookie,  did quite well.

There's nothing in his profile that says "terrible" and don't know why you think that....

5 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

Hold on, cowboy....    slow your roll....

Ballard did NOT give the pick away to Philbin.    The pick was Ballard's and he made it.

Second,  who said this was a blunder?      Banner won't be the first guy to go to the practice squad as a rookie and turn into something somewhere down the road.

I don't know why you're trashing the pick already?      Let's wait until Banner is out of football and unable to get picked up by any of the 32 teams before we pronounce him a failure.