Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Here's Another Thought On The Media(Just A Heads Up)

JTcardscolts

i had a thought today, while listening to m&m in the morning, that what if the media is blowing this(Peyton movin on) up to set themselves up for a more dramatic story after (if) Irsay decides to keep Peyton.

Irsay has said that if Peyton wants to, he'll be a colt next year. And Peyton has made it clear he wants too. Altho I am aware that Irsay did show some concern about the cap space.

So if you take each guy for his word, Peyton stays a colt next year.

Yet everyone (except T. dilfer) at espn is saying he's leaving, he's gone, he's moving on. Cause if they weren't what else is there to talk about? NBA doesn't get interesting till the playoffs.

Irsay has already said he's taking the best QB in the draft, and as of right now it's luck. So if everyone at espn believes Peyton is on the move, but Irsay decides to keep him... Espn is gonna blow up, I can hear it now.

OMG the unexpected no absolutely no one saw this coming

what does this mean for the #1 pick???

Do they still take Luck???

Can Peyton and Luck coexist???

Is this gonna hurt luck's development???

How many games does Peyton get before the fans start chanting for luck???

If Peyton isn't healthy Irsay made the dumbest move ever

Does he pay that bonus in 20s 50s or 100s

Oh the drama that is the Indianapolis colts.....

Talk about adding insult to injury, literally.....

Espn has lost all credibility with me.

The sad thing is that it's not just ESPN, you have pretty much everybody from the NFL Networks of media saying the same fodder, and some of the local media is doing the same thing. You've even got fans of the Titans paying for billboards to get Peyton to come there even though their GM has said they are happy with their QB situation. It's all spiraling out of control. I've tried my best to remove myself from as much of that as I can because basically it means nothing until it comes from the mouth of Irsay, Manning, and to a lesser extent Condon. One way or the other I'll be glad when the whole thing blows over. I never thought I would say this but I almost wish they would go back to shoving Tebow down everybody's throats and quit beating this story to death.

Mr.Blueblood i couldnt agree more with you. this manning issue is getting old because everyone seems to think they know what is going to happen. i.e ESPN,NFL Network, even local news and whats funny is I LIVE IN DALLAS and yet they still talk about whats going to happen to peyton. why cant i live in indy still lol. anyway what i think should happen is and prob a far reach but hey doesnt hurt to dream lol....

Release and resign Manning to a 2 yr 20 million dollar deal with incentives (extra money for pro bowl appearance, Playoffs, 4,000+ yards, 25+ TD's, MVP, Superbowl) pretty much the whole nine yards on incentives, Draft luck and since he wants to start right away and he wont with manning, wait until the 4th pick comes up trade him to cleveland for both of clevelands first round picks,2nd round pick and maybe next years 1st rounder, meaning with the 4th overall pick draft RG3 and use the rest of the picks the colts get from cleveland on defensive upgrades.

I use to be against drafting RG3 but the more i think about it, he could be better then cam newton. and as we all have seen this past year Newton was pretty good his rookie season this past year. and if the colts are going to be running a west coast offense under this new OC RG3 is a perfect fit for it as he has the athleticism to move around to look for a WR or take off when he needs to run.

The sad thing is that it's not just ESPN, you have pretty much everybody from the NFL Networks of media saying the same fodder, and some of the local media is doing the same thing. You've even got fans of the Titans paying for billboards to get Peyton to come there even though their GM has said they are happy with their QB situation. It's all spiraling out of control. I've tried my best to remove myself from as much of that as I can because basically it means nothing until it comes from the mouth of Irsay, Manning, and to a lesser extent Condon. One way or the other I'll be glad when the whole thing blows over. I never thought I would say this but I almost wish they would go back to shoving Tebow down everybody's throats and quit beating this story to death.

Well said.

The sad thing is they will say this. The reality is it wouldn't happen.

I agree there wouldn't be boo-birds out there, but in the giant 'if' world we live in right now, what if PM indeed is resigned, or plays elsewhere, and isn't healthy? Do any of us want to watch him bouncing balls into the turf, fluttering balls 15 yards short on go routes, or looking like an old, hurt, tired player who should have retired? There is nothing sadder in sports to me than watching a great hold on too long. Unitas hobbling around the bench in San Diego. Boxing has a ton of examples. Jordan wearing a Wizards uni and having no hops any more. I'm not saying this is likely, I'm just saying amongst all the theories and possibilities, the one I just talked about would be way more depressing to me than all the other options.

....even local news and whats funny is I LIVE IN DALLAS and yet they still talk about whats going to happen to peyton.

Whats ironic for us Colts fans is the reason why this story is huge all over the country, especially in NFL cities at the local level. It's because fans for most franchises are fantasizing heavily that they get our guy. Yet we have so many in our own fanbase that seem to want to move on even though they have no idea if he will be any less of a QB than he was before all this.

I agree there wouldn't be boo-birds out there, but in the giant 'if' world we live in right now, what if PM indeed is resigned, or plays elsewhere, and isn't healthy? Do any of us want to watch him bouncing balls into the turf, fluttering balls 15 yards short on go routes, or looking like an old, hurt, tired player who should have retired? There is nothing sadder in sports to me than watching a great hold on too long. Unitas hobbling around the bench in San Diego. Boxing has a ton of examples. Jordan wearing a Wizards uni and having no hops any more. I'm not saying this is likely, I'm just saying amongst all the theories and possibilities, the one I just talked about would be way more depressing to me than all the other options.

However unlikely, this is a possible scenario.

For me, the only thing worse than seeing Peyton play for another team would be to see Peyton playing for another team under the circumstances you described.

Peyton would have to have his arm bitten off in a freak shark attack for me to insult him by thinking he couldn't rehab that arm. If he couldn't, I bet he'd be the first guy to understand how fizzling out would negatively affect his legacy. He would walk away rather than drag out a pathetic display for very long.

My honest opinion is that people are buying into the fear perpetrated by the media. He'll be just fine.

The only thing sadder than the scenario you paint, is PM was bouncing balls into the turf, and fluttering balls 15 yards short on go routes, while in a Colts uniform.

The only thing sadder than the scenario you paint, is PM was bouncing balls into the turf, and fluttering balls 15 yards short on go routes, while in a Colts uniform.

And costing us a ton of money in the process.

Whats ironic for us Colts fans is the reason why this story is huge all over the country, especially in NFL cities at the local level. It's because fans for most franchises are fantasizing heavily that they get our guy. Yet we have so many in our own fanbase that seem to want to move on even though they have no idea if he will be any less of a QB than he was before all this.

It's more evenly split. Fans might be putting up billboards in Titans-land, but ownership has said they like their QB situation. Kornheiser, a DC icon, Post writer for 30 years or so, a local radio show, etc., has repeatedly said the Redskins aren't just PM away from contending. He isn't a PM to the Redskins proponent. I posted an article from the Miami Herald in some other post where the writer explained his reasons why PM to the Dolphins would be Pennington all over again. I can go get the links and all the rest, but spend a few minutes looking for local news in those other NFL cities - the people paid to talk and write about those NFL teams, or sports in general, are by no means all on the PM bandwagon.

Just because the group with the loudest bullhorn (ESPN) seems to be pushing the PM is gone and where will he play "news" doesn't mean there are as many people listening to local radio or reading local papers and have their doubts. The quiet voices at ESPN are saying the Colts should keep PM if healthy and draft Luck - Mangini and Young. And Dilfer has said keep PM trade the pick. So even there we have other opinions - it's a matter of who people decide to listen to.

Its funny that the media has no credibility, is wrong, spinning stories etc. when talking about Manning NOT coming back but if it was the other way around and most of the media outlets were saying Manning is returning, nobody would be complaining.

It only matters if somehow you believe the * talking heads are actually reporting news... Crapitz, Wilson, all of ESPN, NFL network... all guessing at this and making it up as they go along. Stop responding as if anything they say has an ounce of real fact in it. We will know when Irsay/Manning tell us what has happened. If someone happens to guess right, I'm sure they will shout from the mountaintop that they got the "scoop" and "I told you so".

What I hate the most is the constant bashing of Irsay/Manning by people that are "tired of this thing being dragged out". The only thing I am tired of is them talking about something that the team already said it would handle in early March. Worst thing that could happen is to rush through this to get the media off their back. The only people that are dragging the story out is the talking heads and writers who aren't creative enough to tell another story (esp Kravitz/Wison who have whined to the point of annoyance about this-- neither can write anything remotely looking like a story about anything, all whining and griping these days. Hey guys, have you noticed we have a new HC.. OC and DC... ??????).

Have lost what tiny respect I had for sports media through this- really sad to see them like vultures, gladly waiting for the animal to die so they can pounce all over it. No respect what so ever.

i had a thought today, while listening to m&m in the morning, that what if the media is blowing this(Peyton movin on) up to set themselves up for a more dramatic story after (if) Irsay decides to keep Peyton.

Irsay has said that if Peyton wants to, he'll be a colt next year. And Peyton has made it clear he wants too. Altho I am aware that Irsay did show some concern about the cap space.

Yet everyone (except T. dilfer) at espn is saying he's leaving, he's gone, he's moving on. Cause if they weren't what else is there to talk about? NBA doesn't get interesting till the playoffs.

Irsay has already said he's taking the best QB in the draft, and as of right now it's luck. So if everyone at espn believes Peyton is on the move, but Irsay decides to keep him... Espn is gonna blow up, I can hear it now.

Dear God. This is so off the wall, that I don't really believe you think this is true. One giant conspiracy?

Interesting take. Wrong but interesting. There are any number of media outlets who have reached the same conclusion that Manning's days in Indy are coming to an end - not just EPSN. Soeveryone got together and said 'this is the best story for all of us. Let's spin it this way" Hogwash.Brian Billick said he would question the wisdom of any organization who would invest in both Manning & Luck. Gil Brandt said that the combined cash that would be required for both players is "untenable." Andrew Brandt, former Packers front office guy has said the same thing - untenable. These are among the many who have the same opinion and who are more than qualified.

Maybe, just maybe some in the media looked at the facts as they are - amount of bonus, date of bonus due date, the prospect sitting out there, the uncertainty of Manning's health, the complete changeover in the front office and determined all by themselves that making the move to release Manning is in the long-term best interest of the Colts.

Dear God. This is so off the wall, that I don't really believe you think this is true. One giant conspiracy?

Interesting take. Wrong but interesting. There are any number of media outlets who have reached the same conclusion that Manning's days in Indy are coming to an end - not just EPSN. Soeveryone got together and said 'this is the best story for all of us. Let's spin it this way" Hogwash.Brian Billick said he would question the wisdom of any organization who would invest in both Manning & Luck. Gil Brandt said that the combined cash that would be required for both players is "untenable." Andrew Brandt, former Packers front office guy has said the same thing - untenable. These are among the many who have the same opinion and who are more than qualified.

Maybe, just maybe some in the media looked at the facts as they are - amount of bonus, date of bonus due date, the prospect sitting out there, the uncertainty of Manning's health, the complete changeover in the front office and determined all by themselves that making the move to release Manning is in the long-term best interest of the Colts.

Some people will need to hear it straight from the horse's mouth. And even then, may take some time before accepting what has happened.

Just give it time, and the facts will unfold for all to see.

Some people will need to hear it straight from the horse's mouth. And even then, may take some time before accepting what has happened.

Just give it time, and the facts will unfold for all to see.

Indeed when mister Ed speaks then and only then will I believe....

Until then...it's all hear say....

The letters ESPN....

....They never claim its news...

It seems to me that the media is just trying to trump Irsay's tweets right now. They( the media) have it in their heads that it is them that breaks the news. They dont like it when Jim starts breaking his own news over the social media sites. If you watch these NFL shows they are always busting on him for using his twitter account to much. I have to say there have been a few times I wished he just stayed off it too, but the media hates that they cant get the scoop first. So, since they cant seem to get a true picture of what is going on, they have decided to make it up. In the process they seem bent on bashing Peyton and Irsay.

It seems to me that the media is just trying to trump Irsay's tweets right now. They( the media) have it in their heads that it is them that breaks the news. They dont like it when Jim starts breaking his own news over the social media sites. If you watch these NFL shows they are always busting on him for using his twitter account to much. I have to say there have been a few times I wished he just stayed off it too, but the media hates that they cant get the scoop first. So, since they cant seem to get a true picture of what is going on, they have decided to make it up. In the process they seem bent on bashing Peyton and Irsay.

The problem with treating tweets as newsworthy items is that, more often than not, tweets are so brief, that many interpretations can be had. This generates into a feeding frenzy of media articles expounding on what the tweet could possibly mean.

I commend Mr. Irsay in his attempt to get closer to the fans. However, I think his tweeting is misguided. I recommend that instead, he use the PR people he has hired to do formal press releases.

The problem with treating tweets as newsworthy items is that, more often than not, tweets are so brief, that many interpretations can be had. This generates into a feeding frenzy of media articles expounding on what the tweet could possibly mean.

I commend Mr. Irsay in his attempt to get closer to the fans. However, I think his tweeting is misguided. I recommend that instead, he use the PR people he has hired to do formal press releases.

That would make everything way to clear. As frustrating at it, I think Irsay likes the madness.