Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Left Tackle competition

a06cc

6 hours ago, BOTT said:

Not sure why people are making a deal about Haeg needing to get stronger.  That can be said about every rookie lineman.

Not Goode and Banner...Clark has those long arms that helps.   Haeg doesn't have special physical traits, smarts and skill so he needs to be stonger.  As that previous scouting link showed.  

20 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Not Goode and Banner...Clark has those long arms that helps.   Haeg doesn't have special physical traits, smarts and skill so he needs to be stonger.  As that previous scouting link showed.  

Yes, I'm confident it can also be said about both.

On 5/5/2017 at 3:35 PM, a06cc said:

I would like to see Joe Haeg get reps at his natural position at LT. That spot is really overlooked. Anthony Canstonzo has been inconsistent since signing his new deal. I'm not the only one to notice this about his play. I like Clark at RT that's only way I'm saying Haeg should be given a chance to play on the left side. Thoughts?

Haeg didn't look all that great at RT last year.  

If you can't play RT then you most certainly can't play LT.  

Castanzo is decent, nothing special but he's decent. 

On 5/6/2017 at 3:02 PM, dodsworth said:

Maybe so but Clark's long arms and Banner's size alone

will put a fire under Costanzo's butt to up his game a bit.

I can guarantee you that AC does not concern himself with Clark's arm length or Banner's weight.

21 hours ago, LockeDown said:

One, Good was not a rookie last year and two, one of the disappointing things about Good is he does not generate a lot of power, especially for someone his size.  Good has great feet and very nimble but he's not strong, especially in the upper body and he's slow to get his hands up and into position.

I watched Haeg all four years at NDSU, the guy is a stud lineman. Smart, technically sound, mobile, great first step. He is a pulling guard in this league, yes he got overmatched in year 1 but give him a full off-season of NFL strength training and you will see major improvement. I'm saying he will be our RG of the future and Clark will take over RT until we get rid of Castonzo and slide Clark to LT and put Banner and RT that's my prediction for the future. A road grading Oline. 

21 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I can guarantee you that AC does not concern himself with Clark's arm length or Banner's weight.

No but the first time being a Colt he has some real competition

at his position in the forseeable near future.

8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

That's not true at all. At RG he doesn't  look good. RT he looked pretty good on my opinion. I want to try him out at LT which is his natural position. 

17 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Neither Clark nor Banner are competition for AC at LT.  Also this is not the NFL from the 90 and early 2000s.  Both tackles have to be able to handle speed rushers, they don't just send the speed rushers from a QBs blind side anymore.  Teams have discovered that it is beneficial to have the QB see the pressure coming because it forces indecision and poor throws which lead to turnovers.  But any more there is very little difference in the desired skill set from a LT to a RT.

19 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Again I am not sure why so many people hate on AC.  Is he the top LT in the league...no.  Is he pretty solid...yes.  Even when people claim he was complete trash he still grades to be about middle or a little above.  That is when he has his worst seasons.  Now he needs to get more consistent but he is very serviceable at LT and has "competition" but nothing to fear.  

12 hours ago, a06cc said:

That's not true at all. At RG he doesn't  look good. RT he looked pretty good on my opinion. I want to try him out at LT which is his natural position. 

Having a player who struggled a lot at RT move over to LT w hen AC is still noticeably better just to see how he does in very dumb.  Why continue allowing your QB get hurt?

5 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Having a player who struggled a lot at RT move over to LT w hen AC is still noticeably better just to see how he does in very dumb.  Why continue allowing your QB get hurt?

He didn't struggle at RT. RG I'll 100% give you that because he doesn't anchor well. 

19 hours ago, a06cc said:

Backup maybe.  He is no threat to start at LT

15 hours ago, a06cc said:

He didn't struggle at RT. RG I'll 100% give you that because he doesn't anchor well. 

He did struggle at RT though.  He honestly struggled everywhere he played.  That is not to bad because he was a rookie and it is expected.  But YES he did struggle.  This is why Clark more than likely is the RT and not Haeg.  I love Haeg though and hope he continues t o improve because he has the ability and talent to be a stud for us.

On 5/9/2017 at 7:18 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

Neither Clark nor Banner are competition for AC at LT.  Also this is not the NFL from the 90 and early 2000s.  Both tackles have to be able to handle speed rushers, they don't just send the speed rushers from a QBs blind side anymore.  Teams have discovered that it is beneficial to have the QB see the pressure coming because it forces indecision and poor throws which lead to turnovers.  But any more there is very little difference in the desired skill set from a LT to a RT.

I was with you all the way,  word for word,  sentence for sentence.....    right up until the last one.

And then...........         we parted company.....        

I agree that teams are putting much more pressure on RT's these days,  but it's rare to see a RT with the skill set of a quality LT.     I think a RT with the skill set of a LT is still far more the exception than it is the rule....

Just a different perspective....

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I was with you all the way,  word for word,  sentence for sentence.....    right up until the last one.

And then...........         we parted company.....        

I agree that teams are putting much more pressure on RT's these days,  but it's rare to see a RT with the skill set of a quality LT.     I think a RT with the skill set of a LT is still far more the exception than it is the rule....

Just a different perspective....

No doubt it's rare to see.  But that is, IMO, only because it's a recent shift in the NFL and that is why I stated "desired skill set".  It's hard enough to find one tackle with the desired skill set, let alone two.  But I think that is why the Colts and other teams are taking chance on guys like Clark as projects.  Guys who have that skill set but need some polish and technique work before they are ready

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No doubt it's rare to see.  But that is, IMO, only because it's a recent shift in the NFL and that is why I stated "desired skill set".  It's hard enough to find one tackle with the desired skill set, let alone two.  But I think that is why the Colts and other teams are taking chance on guys like Clark as projects.  Guys who have that skill set but need some polish and technique work before they are ready

Nice post.      Well said.        I'm with you all the way,  beginning to end!            :thmup:

On 5/8/2017 at 3:35 PM, Valpo2004 said:

I'd say he's better than decent.  He's good.  He's not elite but you can do far worse than him at left tackle.

1 hour ago, chrisfarley said:

he's getting elite pay, perhaps he'll have reason (perhaps even a mandate) to have a stellar year (Ballard / The "new" Pagano).  We can only hope!

https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/

I count him as #12 in pay.  That's not elite pay.  Elite pay is top 5 if you ask me.

Castanzo isn't even making the top 10 in pay. 

57 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

I count him as #12 in pay.  That's not elite pay.  Elite pay is top 5 if you ask me.

Castanzo isn't even making the top 10 in pay. 

eight-figure average annual salary for a LT is where I would draw the line, that's some fierce cash.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 3:35 PM, Valpo2004 said:

He needs to move to RT he isn't a LT Clark could possibly play Left tackle try it in preseason if he looks good switch the tackles this O-line is already a lot better if that works.

On 5/11/2017 at 4:41 PM, chrisfarley said:

eight-figure average annual salary for a LT is where I would draw the line, that's some fierce cash.

Without even looking I just think you have to compare it to what others are getting paid.  When it comes to QB's every starting level QB who's finished up his rookie deal is making 8 figures or more.

On 5/10/2017 at 4:52 AM, DaColts85 said:

He did struggle at RT though.  He honestly struggled everywhere he played.  That is not to bad because he was a rookie and it is expected.  But YES he did struggle.  This is why Clark more than likely is the RT and not Haeg.  I love Haeg though and hope he continues t o improve because he has the ability and talent to be a stud for us.

Ballard has said Haeg is primarily a G. The trick for him is to improve his anchor without losing his quickness. It's entirely possible that he's been able to do that this offseason. I hope he has for Luck's sake. Haeg will be one of the first names I check when we weigh everyone in here in a few weeks. Walker will be a close second. 

In a perfect world by next season Clark has approached his ceiling takes over LT and Banner controls his weight steps in at RT.  This year I think we are looking at 

AC Mewhort Kelly Haeg Clark to begin the season. We could have a surprise on the right side. RG is the biggest question to me. I thought we might have the Dorian Johnson fall right in our lap. I would've looked hard at moving up to grab him. 

I think Banner gets a chance to start this season. He'll bring a nasty present to this team. He needs to work on those false starts. Tarik Glenn had that same problem. Banner is no joke and some are sleeping on him. He is very powerful and will block his guy pushing them down the field.