Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Needs for 2018 draft? :)

19 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Bold prediction: Ballard drafts a WR early next year.

Moncrief and Aiken are both FAs after this upcoming season. There's a good chance that Dorsett doesn't take the next step. That leaves Hilton and maybe Rogers.

We all know that Ballard likes competition at all positions...including WR (which he displayed by signing Aiken). If he doesn't re-sign Moncrief (definitely not a guarantee at this point) or Aiken (probably unlikely as well), he probably will sign a good FA WR. But even if he brings back Moncrief or signs a vet FA, he will still likely want to bring in another WR to develop and compete.

And it looks like next year's WR draft class will include at least 3-4 1st round talents (though you never know about these things)...so the value will be there.

WR (outside of QB) is the only position that Ballard really hasn't put his stamp on yet...and I think that all changes next offseason. 

After that, I assume CB will be targeted early and probably ILB/DL/RB...similar to this past year.

We may end up with a draft that is pretty much the opposite of this draft and see picks on offense skill position players or LT.  If Castonzo is seen as average or worse, Ballard may choose to replace him, you have similar concerns to me about the WR position, Gore isn't getting any younger and if Marlon Mack is only part of the answer we may need to address RB again plus we don't have a great deal of depth or competition at TE.

That said, it's way too early to tell what the most pressing need will be.

2 hours ago, IkeAramba said:

We may end up with a draft that is pretty much the opposite of this draft and see picks on offense skill position players or LT.  If Castonzo is seen as average or worse, Ballard may choose to replace him, you have similar concerns to me about the WR position, Gore isn't getting any younger and if Marlon Mack is only part of the answer we may need to address RB again plus we don't have a great deal of depth or competition at TE.

That said, it's way too early to tell what the most pressing need will be.

Yep...a lot can happen between now and then. And while we have an idea of what positions might be deep...we won't really know until December.

In terms of need, they would probably order in the following (based off of what we know and can assume now):

ILB

CB (There is a real chance that Vontae goes)

Pass Rush

RB 

Though, I would still be happy with BPA in next year's draft if we can address at least one the top two in FA....

If we're only talking priorities or what we need the most urgently and NOT talking about what round we'll be taking these players.......

Then I'd list them in this order...

1.    OLB 

2.    CB 

3.    DL 

4.    ILB

5.    RB

6.    WR

7.    TE

8.     OL

9.     Kicker

10.   Back-up QB