Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the script was flipped?

Lucky Colts Fan

Hooker was the right pick, we're very lucky he fell.  All of the guys on that list, except for Cook, would have been good picks but they all have a minus.  Allen is great, but not so much a need now.  Foster obviously worried a lot of teams.

You can't please everyone.   

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I would not have liked any of them.  As I said pre-draft, 15 was a bad place to be.

:scratch:

Including Hooker? Trading up is almost never worth it, especially in a defense-heavy draft when you need defense, so you would have traded back, I assume?

Who would you have tried to get with your first pick?  And where?

We got a top 5 player at 15. Not much else to say considering that is the steal of the first round (maybe Foster, but he has ? marks about his character and the failed drug test). Yesterday was a great day to be a Colts fan. Let's see what Ballard does today. I'm hoping for McMillan, King, Awuzie, or Willis for the 2nd. 

9 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Including Hooker? Trading up is almost never worth it, especially in a defense-heavy draft when you need defense, so you would have traded back, I assume?

:troll:  he's been dead set on bashing this pick all day long.  Probably would bashed any one we picked.  Best just to ignore the troll

17 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

You can't please everyone.

DING DING DING DING!!!

You just won the forum lottery, friend!

That was the whole point of the thread!  It's good to know that some people wouldn't have been happy with any choice the Colts made at 15.  We're not all robots, yet.  There's still some VERY human people out there.  Baseless opinions and all...  (no good players at 15, are you freakin kidding me, what are they smoking, can i get some, holy cow)

:hide:

37 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I would not have liked any of them.  As I said pre-draft, 15 was a bad place to be.

You wouldn't even have drafted Etc. or Etc.?  Those are two quality prospects, my friend.  Top 15, for sure.  Lucky to have either Etc. or Etc. fall into our lap.

:hat:

8 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

You wouldn't even have drafted Etc. or Etc.?  Those are two quality prospects, my friend.  Top 15, for sure.  Lucky to have either Etc. or Etc. fall into our lap.

He's saying he would have traded back - which first assumes we could have found a partner.  Let's say we did.  We would have maybe gotten an extra mid to late round third.

So, then we're taking someone at the back end of the first.  An 'iffy' player like Foster, who a lot of teams passed on because of medical issues.  And then an extra guy in the 3rd, that everyone passed on about three times

All that instead of a top 5 (in most people's opinion) guy who's a known playmaker.  

Yes, that would have made him happy.

41 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I wouldn't have traded up at all.  I would have desperately tried to trade down, accepting a 4th where a 3rd would have been the norm.

If staying at 15, I would have taken the player Baltimore took at 16.  Marlon Humphrey,...

who went ahead of everybody on the OPs list.  

I can't figure why nobody talks about Humphrey.

Just now, DougDew said:

I wouldn't have traded up at all.  I would have desperately tried to trade down, accepting a 4th where a 3rd would have been the norm.

If staying at 15, I would have taken the player Baltimore took at 16.  Marlon Humphrey,...

There it is.  Was that so hard?  You can put this under your pillow tonight for better draft picks tomorrow.  The Draft Tooth Fairy is very benefolous.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Because Hooker is a rare breed free safety that will produce in the NFL for a long time and one that you don't pass on when you have the opportunity to get him.... especially at 15 and especially when it is a major need on your team.

Good God

8 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

Because Hooker is a rare breed free safety that will produce in the NFL for a long time and one that you don't pass on when you have the opportunity to get him.... especially at 15 and especially when it is a major need on your team.

Good God

Yeah, I've read that on the internet.

18 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Have you read that press man coverage requires two very good CBs and not a single one-trick pony FS?  

Good thing for Hooker Ballard kept him from free falling.

Can someone please get this guy an ice cream or something? haha

Just now, ColtsBlitz said:

Sometimes, all you need is a little Luck, pun intended. 

Pun NOT accepted.  You take it back.  Don't you jinx us.  This ain't fun & games.  What am I?  Am I funny to you?  Am I some cheap, $2 Hooker to you, for cheap laughs?  Huh?  Am I?

Image result for joe pesci goodfellas

We are talking about a top-class Hooker, here.  Grigson got Lucky.  Ballard got... lucky, ok I see what you mean, now...

Pun accepted.  We do need at least a little Luck.  A full grown, mature Luck would be ideal, though.

Image result for andrew luck centaur

49 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Have you read that press man coverage requires two very good CBs and not a single one-trick pony FS?  

Good thing for Hooker Ballard kept him from free falling.

Come on man.... you have read everything but you still are not satisfied.  I saw all of your other posts strung out through the forum and how much you don't see the value of this pick and your non-supported arguments for it..

I guess you figure that had we picked anyone else that things would be different.  And what I mean by that is we are weak all over the defense..... soooooooo we have to start somewhere.  Why not fill ONE position with a playmaker, a difference maker... someone who has a high ceiling etc.. etc... then add the other pieces as we go... and I don't have to say this because you already read it but I will anyway.... really good FS's are hard to come by so when there is one available and it aligns with need it is pretty much a given that you grab him.  

Humphrey was not the answer in round one.

I can see that you are hard headed though and no one is changing your mind, so I am truly sorry that I made the first comment as I now regret it.  This comment, however, I will not regret... your last statement is ridiculous and your not seeing the forest for the trees.  

To each his own

51 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Good thing for Hooker AND THE COLTS. oh AND HIS FAMILY, that Ballard kept him from free falling.

I bolded and underlined the part that you meant to include in your post, hopefully also bolded and underlined, I assume.

Simple slip of the memory, happens to all of us.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Well I guess your the only one that thought that. Many people mentioned that the eagles, colts, and the ravens were in a great position. 

I don't understand all the hype on Foster. Is he a good player? Sure, but I don't see him being a top 5 or 10 pick like a lot of you are saying he is. In three years of college football he hasn't created a single turnover. Thats ZERO interceptions, ZERO fumble recoveries, and ZERO forced fumbles. That stat doesn't make him jump out to me positively and I am certainly glad that we passed on him at 15. If anyone can shed some light on why so many of you wanted him I would love to hear a counter argument, but I never liked him. 

14 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

How is 15 a bad spot to be?? In the last 10 drafts or so that draft position has had six pro bowlers.  If you had your way who would you want?

Because the players from about 15 to 35 are all about the same impactfulness.  I'd rather trade down, like about 80% of the informed forum members wanted.

As the draft actually unfolded,  I was hoping somebody would take Hooker, Foster, Allen, and Reddick so Lattimore would fall.  When Lattimore was gone, I wanted Humphrey, who was picked at 16 by Ozzie Newsome,  so he definitely is no reach, fits our D, and is definitely a greater need than FS.

49 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

Well I guess your the only one that thought that. Many people mentioned that the eagles, colts, and the ravens were in a great position. 

Almost everybody on this forum wanted a trade down before draft day.  Many still wanted it as the draft was happening since Foster, Reddick, Allen were still on the board and we could pick up an extra draft pick and still get a good player. 

3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Let's say some forum members had their way, and the Colts had drafted someone else that had fallen into our lap.

Allen.

Foster.

Cook.

Howard.

Peppers.

Conley.

Etc.

Etc.

What would you be saying?  That we missed out on Hooker?  That we made the right choice with X,Y,Z?

Some would still complain, can't please everyone 

We could literally draft 10 of the top 11 players and someone would complain we took #10 over #11 

1 hour ago, BR-549 said:

Come on man.... you have read everything but you still are not satisfied.  I saw all of your other posts strung out through the forum and how much you don't see the value of this pick and your non-supported arguments for it..

I guess you figure that had we picked anyone else that things would be different.  And what I mean by that is we are weak all over the defense..... soooooooo we have to start somewhere.  Why not fill ONE position with a playmaker, a difference maker... someone who has a high ceiling etc.. etc... then add the other pieces as we go... and I don't have to say this because you already read it but I will anyway.... really good FS's are hard to come by so when there is one available and it aligns with need it is pretty much a given that you grab him.  

Humphrey was not the answer in round one.

I can see that you are hard headed though and no one is changing your mind, so I am truly sorry that I made the first comment as I now regret it.  This comment, however, I will not regret... your last statement is ridiculous and your not seeing the forest for the trees.  

To each his own

Search the forum.  The needs were...and still are after round 1....OLB, CB, ILB, and RB...and some said RG.

FS is not a need.

If you're saying that any team needs an elite FS just because that's what you do when one is available, then 14 other teams don't feel that Hooker is an elite FS.

If you say Hooker was far and away BPA, that's nonsense because Humphrey, Allen, Reddick, and Foster all were also ranked higher than 15, in most or many mocks, and fell past us.

Hooker is a first round player that fell a few slots.  Big deal.  Its not like we got Myles Garrett in round 3.  Humphrey was picked 16 by well-regarded Ozzie Newsome...he picked Humphrey over Foster, Reddick, and Allen; so to suggest that Hooker was far and away BPA over Humphrey is simple stubborness, since Humphrey was obviously BPA over the other guys many wanted at 15.

5 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Some would still complain, can't please everyone 

We could literally draft 10 of the top 11 players and someone would complain we took #10 over #11 

The problem is that the players listed were obviously overrated compared to players like Corey Davis, Mike Williams, and John Ross; so we all have to have a reevaluation of who the top ten players should be.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Search the forum.  The needs were...and still are after round 1....OLB, CB, ILB, and RB...and some said RG.

FS is not a need.

If you're saying that any team needs an elite FS just because that's what you do when one is available, then 14 other teams don't feel that Hooker is an elite FS.

If you say Hooker was far and away BPA, that's nonsense because Humphrey, Allen, Reddick, and Foster all were also ranked higher than 15, in most or many mocks, and fell past us.

Hooker is a first round player that fell a few slots.  Big deal.  Its not like we got Myles Garrett in round 3.  Humphrey was picked 16 by well-regarded Ozzie Newsome...he picked Humphrey over Foster, Reddick, and Allen; so to suggest that Hooker was far and away BPA over Humphrey is simple stubborness, since Humphrey was obviously BPA over the other guys many wanted at 15.

I didn't even bother reading that past FS is not a need.... I am done discussing it with you.