Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Here's an idea

22 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Instead of mocking what you want to happen.   Mock what will realistically happen by using the. BPA route and not by need. 

Who's BPA list?  Except for the top couple picks, they vary widely.  

Don't you think that most people's mocks are using their own BPA list?

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Who's BPA list?  Except for the top couple picks, they vary widely.  

Don't you think that most people's mocks are using their own BPA list?

i dont know about that, from what i read here i think most people want us to draft for need

No one truly follows BPA to the letter. If there was a QB, WR, C or NT sitting at 15 and they were MARGINALLY the best player on our board with no reference to the existing gaps in the team I doubt we would (or should) take them over a very slightly worse CB or LB. The effect on the overall team wouldn't be as significant by getting another player in an area we are well stocked at over a position where would would them have to field a weak link. If the difference in rating is significant then of course you take the higher rated player. 

At the end of the day the draft is just another method of player recruitment in the same way as free agency or trading. To be successful you have to use all three to maximize the value of the players you acquire. In that sense you have to account for the scheme you run but also the strengths and weaknesses of your existing roster.

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Great idea.   Now tell us who the BPA will be at 15

Well I'll if you don't have a BPA  list I am not sure what you do if the player you want isn't there when we pick.... also what happens if one of the top players falls....  what if you know someone wants a QB and they are available when you pick....  how do you know their value to another team?

what happenes if the player you 'want' is not available?   Trade back right?  What if there are not trade partners?   Do you reach for a 2nd round rated player?

Teams rate every player.   

this is a weird draft class and it makes these discussions a little more difficult

the top ten this year includes strong safetys, inside line backers and running backs.  lots of people think you should never draft those positions high in the first, but they really are BPA this year

3 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Instead of mocking what you want to happen.   Mock what will realistically happen by using the. BPA route and not by need. 

As Monroe points out,  whose BPA list?

That's the thing....    everyone sees the same thing differently.     32 different teams,   32 different BPA lists in the NFL.

There are roughly 20,000 members here on the website,   I'd guess only roughly 500 of us (tops) are regular posters.      So, 500 posters means 500 different BPA lists.

Way too many variables to even try it......

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As Monroe points out,  whose BPA list?

That's the thing....    everyone sees the same thing differently.     32 different teams,   32 different BPA lists in the NFL.

There are roughly 20,000 members here on the website,   I'd guess only roughly 500 of us (tops) are regular posters.      So, 500 posters means 500 different BPA lists.

Way too many variables to even try it......

So use your own ranking and not rank players according to need.   Look at available players and rank them 1-32 and just do it for the 1st round 

I posted an example of what two other sites ranked players.   

I am am guessing everyone has Garret at 1 or 2 etc.   include all players and not just the ones you want.   Put an asterisk beside players that are low need in your opinion.  But still include them. 

Then as as the draft plays out you can say players x is still on the board and maybe we need player z but player x is graded  out higher in my on my board 

Example.  OJ Howard grades out in top 7 of both the sites I listed.   He really is a great prospect.   If he's there at 15 what do you do?  Can't blame them for taking him 

17 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Here you go.

1. Myles Garrett (OLB)

2. Soloman Thomas (OLB)

3. OJ Howard (TE)

4. Haason Reddick (ILB)

4. Marshon Lattimore (CB)
4. Forrest Lamp (G)

5. Jamal Adams (S)

9 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Here you go.

1. Myles Garrett (OLB)

2. Soloman Thomas (OLB)

3. OJ Howard (TE)

4. Haason Reddick (ILB)

4. Marshon Lattimore (CB)
4. Forrest Lamp (G)

5. Jamal Adams (S)

Looks good so far.  Gonna need to do it through 32 players I assume to be able to eliminate the players that get drafted ahead of us