Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How would you feel drafting Forrest Lamp 15th overall?

How would you feel if we drafted Forrest Lamp 15th overall?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. How would you feel if we drafted Forrest Lamp 15th overall?

10 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

They both looked a lot better towards the end of the year and I'd hope they're working hard this off season. I just think adding a stud RG, kicking out Haeg to where he's more natural, and creating a great battle at RT makes this O-line possibly top 10 in the league. I'm 100% with you our D needs a lot of help and I've been preaching D round 1 for a while, but the more I think about it Andrew's health is seriously at risk and its not worth taking the gamble on trying to develop guys that aren't ready yet but have potential. I would not reach on a OL prospect, but Lamp is no reach IMO he'd actually be a steal. 

I think Haeg can be a solid starting guard though. I'm gonna post some vids in this thread in a couple minutes of LeRaven. 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

If we hypothetically draft Lamp tho, Clark competes with Haeg for RT and I have my money on Haeg. When exactly did we resign AC until 2019? Either way that gives another year for Clark to develop. He was decent in 3 games last year but he wasn't anything special and he definitely didn't lockdown any position. He has LT traits, but technique is still so raw. Philbin can develop him I'm confident in his coaching ability but not even he could have Clark ready by next year.

Clark is not going to be given the LT spot until he shows he can be very successful at the RT spot on the NFL level.     AC got his deal extended a year or two ago. 

My money is on Clark for RT.    Haeg is ahead of him now,  but Clark's ceiling is dramatically higher, so he should pass him soon enough.....    I think Haeg has a future at RG in the short-term,  and when AC is done,  then Clark will move to LT to replace AC, and Haeg will move to RT.    And, at that point we'll need to figure out the RG spot, but I don't see that as a problem.

On 3/22/2017 at 9:51 AM, polk_high_allstar said:

Lamp may be the only legit 1st round talent for the o-line this year and feel if we were to draft him this year we can really focus on fixing all the problems on the D in the future. Defensive depth in this draft is deep.  Feel we can get a borderline stud CB in the 2nd and possible the 3rd if you want to wait on Sidney Jones.

Castonzo/Mewhort/Kelly/Lamp/Haeg

That is a might fine line and feel we can put the protect Luck thing to bed for a while.

If the colts insist on having a vertical offense that isn't committed to the running game Luck is going to take too many shots regardless.

i actually think the Oline would look fine if the colts committed to a quick rhythm passing game......like the most of the NFL.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Clark is not going to be given the LT spot until he shows he can be very successful at the RT spot on the NFL level.     AC got his deal extended a year or two ago. 

My money is on Clark for RT.    Haeg is ahead of him now,  but Clark's ceiling is dramatically higher, so he should pass him soon enough.....    I think Haeg has a future at RG in the short-term,  and when AC is done,  then Clark will move to LT to replace AC, and Haeg will move to RT.    And, at that point we'll need to figure out the RG spot, but I don't see that as a problem.

Clark has the sky he has no ceiling, but he's still not ready to play full time RT at the level we need him to rn. Haeg was solid at RG, but he was much better at RT because he pass blocks so well and he's pretty weak inside at the POA. We could roll with them into 2017 and hope they've improved enough through the off season or we could upgrade one spot and let them make each other better for the other spot. 

12 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

^Quick pass, but LeRaven would have won. 

^ He gets bullrushed but he's able to latch on and maintain balance despite being put on his heels. In the end he disposes of Hunter 8 yards deep which allows Luck to climb the pocket and make a play.

Such a smooth athlete. Shows why he could really Play LT someday. This was his best game by far against good competition. I think one video in particular shows why hes a year maybe two away. When he gets bull rushed by Hunter, he never re anchors and just gets walked back to the QB. He never shoots his hands back inside to regain leverage. I really like Clark and maybe he beats out Haeg this year at RT, but it wouldnt discourage me from taking Lamp. Where did you find these videos? 

11 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

Clark has the sky he has no ceiling, but he's still not ready to play full time RT at the level we need him to rn. Haeg was solid at RG, but he was much better at RT because he pass blocks so well and he's pretty weak inside at the POA. We could roll with them into 2017 and hope they've improved enough through the off season or we could upgrade one spot and let them make each other better for the other spot. 

If Clark isn't ready to play RT at the level that we want next year,  then the Colts are going to have a problem.       And that may mean a commitment to taking Lamp if he's still there....

But,  I don't get the feeling that the Colts share that viewpoint.      

In Philbin we trust.

10 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I don't think I am looking at it wrong and I'm not suggesting an imaginary cap on the number drafted. I'm just saying that I believe that if you spend too much resource on one area the other places on the team suffer and you don't succeed. 

It's not a slam dunk by any means but successful teams don't get built by continually drafting offensive line guys in the early rounds. That's just a simple fact.

It doesn't matter how many draft resources you spend on a position if it works. If we have a top flight OL will it matter that we spent 5 high picks on it? The best player at 15 may be Lamp at OG. But the best players in the rest of the rounds could be defense.

To the bolded, you don't know that if you yourself said you've never seen a team with all highly drafted OL guys starting. So that is not a fact. The Colts O-line showed signs of being decent last season. You add Lamp and it would probably be great. Why wouldn't you want that? Regardless of where they're drafted, great teams are built in the trenches. If Lamp is BPA at 15 you take him without question.

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Clark isn't ready to play RT at the level that we want next year,  then the Colts are going to have a problem.       And that may mean a commitment to taking Lamp if he's still there....

In Philbin we trust.

No they won't. They have Haeg. Haeg's best position is RT. If you draft Lamp you have either Clark or Haeg at RT.

44 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It doesn't matter how many draft resources you spend on a position if it works. If we have a top flight OL will it matter that we spent 5 high picks on it? The best player at 15 may be Lamp at OG. But the best players in the rest of the rounds could be defense.

To the bolded, you don't know that if you yourself said you've never seen a team with all highly drafted OL guys starting. So that is not a fact. The Colts O-line showed signs of being decent last season. You add Lamp and it would probably be great. Why wouldn't you want that? Regardless of where they're drafted, great teams are built in the trenches. If Lamp is BPA at 15 you take him without question.

It's not that I don't want the line to be great. Of course I want to do that. 

I just look at great lines and they've pretty much always got one or two players who are sourced from a low starting point but fit into the unit. There's no point saying "I want a line like Dallas" (or any other team) and then ignoring how Dallas built the line.

Every high draft pick has am "opportunity cost" therefore wherever you choose to strengthen you have foregone on opportunity to strengthen elsewhere.

There's no guarantee that picking Lamp would make the whole team better. The same argument was put forward for picking Kelly last year and although he's a fine player we still ended up 8-8 so the team was no better off.

At the moment the line has enough good players where we should be able to creatively fill in the gaps. The defense as a whole is lacking those players and is basically just full of role players.

The unit to strengthen and the unit to ignore in terms of resource is therefore clear to me.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

To the bolded, you don't know that if you yourself said you've never seen a team with all highly drafted OL guys starting. So that is not a fact. 

And just specifically about this it's not quite what I said. I said I'd never seen a successful team built that way.

I believe the Brown's had an o-line built on three 1st round picks and two 2nd's.

Thomas, Bitonio, Mack, Erving and Schwartz. 

I wouldn't say that they were successful though.

No they won't. They have Haeg. Haeg's best position is RT. If you draft Lamp you have either Clark or Haeg at RT.

Well.....

That wasn't my meaning....   yes,  Haeg plays RT....    and he'd be....   OK?    Serviceable?    Pretty good?

My point is the team has invested in Clark.    He is supposed to be the team's RT in 2017,  not Haeg.    That's been the plan all along.     Clark's ceiling is much, much higher than Haeg's.     I'm more confident in Clark at RT than I am with Haeg at RT.

It would be a bad sign for Clark's future if he's not ready to start.

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well.....

That wasn't my meaning....   yes,  Haeg plays RT....    and he'd be....   OK?    Serviceable?    Pretty good?

My point is the team has invested in Clark.    He is supposed to be the team's RT in 2017,  not Haeg.    That's been the plan all along.     Clark's ceiling is much, much higher than Haeg's.     I'm more confident in Clark at RT than I am with Haeg at RT.

It would be a bad sign for Clark's future if he's not ready to start.

Long term I agree with you. Clark has the higher ceiling. But Haeg was more ready at RT than Clark was in 2016 due to the offenses they played in during college. You say Haeg would be ok/serviceable at RT but I felt that's what he was at RG. Clark should be the future at RT but if not you at least have Haeg. 

18 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

And just specifically about this it's not quite what I said. I said I'd never seen a successful team built that way.

I believe the Brown's had an o-line built on three 1st round picks and two 2nd's.

Thomas, Bitonio, Mack, Erving and Schwartz. 

I wouldn't say that they were successful though.

Again every situation is different. Who's to say if the Colts draft Lamp that it doesn't work out like it didn't work out for the Browns? You've never seen a successful team built that way but the Colts could be the team that breaks the trend. Would you rather have Haeg at RG or a guy many believe is the next Zack Martin? And his tape backs it up.

21 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Again every situation is different. Who's to say if the Colts draft Lamp that it doesn't work out like it didn't work out for the Browns? You've never seen a successful team built that way but the Colts could be the team that breaks the trend. Would you rather have Haeg at RG or a guy many believe is the next Zack Martin? And his tape backs it up.

I haven't said it definitely wouldn't work. I'm just showing how others build good teams (not just good lines) and saying I would rather follow that rough blueprint. 

I'd rather develop Haeg (Good and Blythe aswell) and have a top defensive player than pick Lamp. I believe that would make a much bigger impact on the overall results of the team.

12 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I haven't said it definitely wouldn't work. I'm just showing how others build good teams (not just good lines) and saying I would rather follow that rough blueprint. 

I'd rather develop Haeg (Good and Blythe aswell) and have a top defensive player than pick Lamp. I believe that would make a much bigger impact on the overall results of the team.

Lamp right now is better than Haeg and has a higher ceiling. Also curious, let's say the following players are picked before our picks:

-Garrett

-Thomas

-Adams

-Hooker

-Fournette

-Cook

-A QB

-Lattimore

-Mike Williams

-Foster

-Barnett

-Reddick

-Taco

-Humphrey

-Conley

Who are you taking instead of Lamp? The top defender you're talking about might not be there.

10 hours ago, BOTT said:

If the colts insist on having a vertical offense that isn't committed to the running game Luck is going to take too many shots regardless.

i actually think the Oline would look fine if the colts committed to a quick rhythm passing game......like the most of the NFL.

I'm with you.  I would prefer a more efficient offense, but every analysis and adavanced metric seems to say this O-line is terrible, irrespective of offensive style.

People hang their hat on the stat which showed they were 5th in the league in sacks allowed over the last seven games.  As I said in another thread, over the last seven games, the Colt defense was 7th in the league in points allowed, yet no one is looking at this defense and thinking, no problem, everything is fine.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Lamp right now is better than Haeg and has a higher ceiling. Also curious, let's say the following players are picked before our picks:

-Garrett

-Thomas

-Adams

-Hooker

-Fournette

-Cook

-A QB

-Lattimore

-Mike Williams

-Foster

-Barnett

-Reddick

-Taco

-Humphrey

-Conley

Who are you taking instead of Lamp? The top defender you're talking about might not be there.

I have no doubt that Lamp is better than Haeg but I'm doubtful that making that upgrade makes a difference to the major deficiencies of the team and therefore the results.

As for the second question I have no idea. I'd have to have a look into it but I'd worry about it if that specific scenario came about.

13 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I have no doubt that Lamp is better than Haeg but I'm doubtful that making that upgrade makes a difference to the major deficiencies of the team and therefore the results.

As for the second question I have no idea. I'd have to have a look into it but I'd worry about it if that specific scenario came about.

Lamp wouldn't help our inability to rush the passer, our thin secondary, or need for athletic LBs but he helps the team greatly. He keeps Luck healthy, gives him more time to throw, and improves the run blocking. Luck with more time, keeps more drives alive and scores more points as the opposing defense gets gassed. Better run blocking means the RBs can sustain drives as well, plus take pressure off of Luck. Sustaining drives is a major deficiency on this time that is a result of the QB always being pressure and subpar run blocking. Lamp would help to fix all of that.

THe Steelers are comparable to us because Big Ben and Luck both hold on to the ball longer waiting for something to develop.  They eventually took care of their Oline  with some high picks and we are on that road too. We may already have the pieces but if Lamp is the missing piece I think we have to do it.  Their defense has suffered some too just like ours.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Lamp wouldn't help our inability to rush the passer, our thin secondary, or need for athletic LBs but he helps the team greatly. He keeps Luck healthy, gives him more time to throw, and improves the run blocking. Luck with more time, keeps more drives alive and scores more points as the opposing defense gets gassed. Better run blocking means the RBs can sustain drives as well, plus take pressure off of Luck. Sustaining drives is a major deficiency on this time that is a result of the QB always being pressure and subpar run blocking. Lamp would help to fix all of that.

He won't keep Luck healthy. Luck will still get hit and he could therefore get hurt. Romo got hurt 2 years running behind the Dallas line.

I don't see sustaining drives as a line problem. I see it as a scheme problem.

On offense we have 8 players who were chosen in the top 100 including 4 first round picks. On defense we only have 2 in the top 100 and no first rounders. When you consider that we're 25-0 with Luck when we hold teams to under 19 points we have to start addressing that balance and fix the gaping holes on that side of the ball rather than plugging the minor deficiencies on the O.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 4:31 PM, Jared Cisneros said:

I've seen a lot of mocks saying we may take him at 15 overall. With Ballard also being set on improving the trenches, I'm realizing this could be a possibility come draft time. So I was wondering, how would you guys feel if he was our pick at 15?

no no no !   Defense............. Need To Pick Defense First ......... and Keep on Doing it Till We Get It Right

9 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

THe Steelers are comparable to us because Big Ben and Luck both hold on to the ball longer waiting for something to develop.  They eventually took care of their Oline  with some high picks and we are on that road too. We may already have the pieces but if Lamp is the missing piece I think we have to do it.  Their defense has suffered some too just like ours.

Thanks. Another good example.

A line made up of 2 firsts, a second and then 2 undrafted guys filling the gaps.

Interestingly in the last three years the Steelers have spent 7 out of 9 high round picks on defense.

44 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

He won't keep Luck healthy. Luck will still get hit and he could therefore get hurt. Romo got hurt 2 years running behind the Dallas line.

I don't see sustaining drives as a line problem. I see it as a scheme problem.

On offense we have 8 players who were chosen in the top 100 including 4 first round picks. On defense we only have 2 in the top 100 and no first rounders. When you consider that we're 25-0 with Luck when we hold teams to under 19 points we have to start addressing that balance and fix the gaping holes on that side of the ball rather than plugging the minor deficiencies on the O.

I hear you about defense. But top 100 extends to the 2nd and 3rd rounds as well. It's not like we can't get defensive players in rounds 2-3. Plus, you may have forgotten that there is a draft next year as well. And the year after that.

I know no one on this forum likes to look at the roster being built over time. Everyone wants us to fix all the holes in one offseason. But the reality is that it WILL take time. The best approach in that regard is to do what Ballard is doing. Low value FAs who are low risk-high reward and draft BPA (with need in mind). Defense is where this team lacks the most  so that should be the focus, but it doesn't mean you have to ONLY draft defense high. You should avoid RBs and WRs in the 1st but we should be looking at an OG.

Plus what's the difference between taking Lamp at 15, or Dorian Johnson at our 2nd round pick? Based on what you're saying couldn't we be passing up defensive difference makers in the 2nd if we took a guard there? All the blue chip defenders will probably be gone by 15. But Lamp is a blue chip guard who will be there. I think it's an easy decision.

12 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Such a smooth athlete. Shows why he could really Play LT someday. This was his best game by far against good competition. I think one video in particular shows why hes a year maybe two away. When he gets bull rushed by Hunter, he never re anchors and just gets walked back to the QB. He never shoots his hands back inside to regain leverage. I really like Clark and maybe he beats out Haeg this year at RT, but it wouldnt discourage me from taking Lamp. Where did you find these videos? 

Fanragsports.com

I hear you about defense. But top 100 extends to the 2nd and 3rd rounds as well. It's not like we can't get defensive players in rounds 2-3. Plus, you may have forgotten that there is a draft next year as well. And the year after that.

I know no one on this forum likes to look at the roster being built over time. Everyone wants us to fix all the holes in one offseason. But the reality is that it WILL take time. The best approach in that regard is to do what Ballard is doing. Low value FAs who are low risk-high reward and draft BPA (with need in mind). Defense is where this team lacks the most  so that should be the focus, but it doesn't mean you have to ONLY draft defense high. You should avoid RBs and WRs in the 1st but we should be looking at an OG.

Plus what's the difference between taking Lamp at 15, or Dorian Johnson at our 2nd round pick? Based on what you're saying couldn't we be passing up defensive difference makers in the 2nd if we took a guard there? All the blue chip defenders will probably be gone by 15. But Lamp is a blue chip guard who will be there. I think it's an easy decision.

I'd advocate picking defense in the first three rounds anyway so I'd be equally against picking a guard in the 2nd aswell. However just to play along if we selected Lamp and the went D in the 2nd and 3rd we'd have;

9 top 100 picks on offense (five 1st's)

4 top 100 picks on defense (zero 1st's)

That's still massively unbalanced to me and won't get us closer to where we want to be.

I agree with you about building through more than 1 draft but the defense has been neglected for long enough now. There will always be a road grading lineman or a sexy running back available where we pick but at some point we have to invest on the other side of the ball. To me that time is now (technically it was last season so I don't want to wait for 1 more).

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'd advocate picking defense in the first three rounds anyway so I'd be equally against picking a guard in the 2nd aswell. However just to play along if we selected Lamp and the went D in the 2nd and 3rd we'd have;

That's still massively unbalanced to me and won't get us closer to where we want to be.

I agree with you about building through more than 1 draft but the defense has been neglected for long enough now. There will always be a road grading lineman or a sexy running back available where we pick but at some point we have to invest on the other side of the ball. To me that time is now (technically it was last season so I don't want to wait for 1 more).

Here's the thing, though.  We have a new GM.  Grigson, Ballard - two different people.  New era.  I doubt Ballard is thinking about the past or worrying about what Grigson  might have done.  If he feels Lamp is the most sure thing at #15, he won't instead go defense because Grigson went primarily offense.  I doubt he cares what Grigson did.

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

In Philbin we trust.

100% what Philbin says goes. I do hope I'm wrong your right so we can go D round 1.

2 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Good stat! I love Lamp but I'd obviously rather go D. Either way I won't be mad

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

-Garrett

-Thomas

-Adams

-Hooker

-Fournette

-Cook

-A QB

-Lattimore

-Mike Williams

-Foster

-Barnett

-Reddick

-Taco

-Humphrey

-Conley

I would take Charles Harris over Forrest Lamp. Starting to like him a lot and Ballard has shown interest in him.

20 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Another post that has difficulty counting. I said 4 or 5 and you've shown me 3?

Okay this is seriously irritating because you're trying to be insulting but still missing the point. And oh yeah... We only have 2 first rounders on our O line currently, not 3. Hows that for counting?

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I would take Charles Harris over Forrest Lamp. Starting to like him a lot and Ballard has shown interest in him.

I'd take Harris in the second round, especially after a good pro day where he showed his horrible combine numbers were a fluke. The new numbers jive more with what everyone would've expected out of him. He's got a terrific spin move, and has some potential to be good at the next level. But I'm still not convinced he's a top 15 pick caliber guy. Production wise he looks solid on paper, but then you look at his game by game splits you see he basically wrecked a few games against mediocre teams and was kind of held in check by the good ones. Where as some other prospects like Lamp (and I'd say this about Derek Barnett too) you can turn on the tape and see how they really shined against the toughest opponents. 

1 hour ago, Track Guy said:

Okay this is seriously irritating because you're trying to be insulting but still missing the point. And oh yeah... We only have 2 first rounders on our O line currently, not 3. Hows that for counting?

It's not insulting at all and nor did I miss the point. 

I specifically said high draft picks rather than first rounders. We also have a 2nd (and a 3rd) on the line which would definitely come under that category in my eyes. 

23 hours ago, Track Guy said:

Last season, the top O-lines were the Titans, Cowboys, and Raiders. Titans had 3 first round picks starting on their line. 

I've only just looked into this. 

Apart from Conklin and Lewan who was the third 1st round pick who helped the Titans become one of the best lines last year?

it wasn't Kline (UDFA claimed off waivers), Jones (4th rd signed as a FA) or Spain (UDFA)

7 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I've only just looked into this. 

Apart from Conklin and Lewan who was the third 1st round pick who helped the Titans become one of the best lines last year?

it wasn't Kline (UDFA claimed off waivers), Jones (4th rd signed as a FA) or Spain (UDFA)

Chance Warmack was their starter at RG - although he did miss a lot of the season which is a fair point. 

17 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Speaking of last season though, that's a perfect example to illustrate my point. Everyone was screaming for defense in the 1st but we needed O-line help and all the elite blue chip defenders were gone (unless you were high on Shaq Lawson or Darron Lee) and we took a blue chip interior O-lineman. Saying we must go defense the first 3 rounds is incredibly short sighted IMO. You're basically saying the Colts should reach and take defense even if there's a higher rated player on offense available. I don't think we need a RB in the first or a receiver at all, you shouldn't rule out an offensive lineman. Ballard may not like Good or Haeg at RG.

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Speaking of last season though, that's a perfect example to illustrate my point. Everyone was screaming for defense in the 1st but we needed O-line help and all the elite blue chip defenders were gone (unless you were high on Shaq Lawson or Darron Lee) and we took a blue chip interior O-lineman. Saying we must go defense the first 3 rounds is incredibly short sighted IMO. You're basically saying the Colts should reach and take defense even if there's a higher rated player on offense available. I don't think we need a RB in the first or a receiver at all, you shouldn't rule out an offensive lineman. Ballard may not like Good or Haeg at RG.

No that's not a good point. 

Last years situation and draft class was much different than this year. Our line is in much better shape going into this draft opposed to last year. Our line is undoubtedly trending up. The defense is so obviously not.  We pick at 15. There are a ton of great prospects. We won't have to "reach" on a defender.. 

19 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'm not saying reach at all. If I was advocating picking one particular position then that would cause a reach but saying we need to focus on one side of the ball won't. There will be good defenders available at 15 no matter how it falls. I've seen Lamp picked in the late 20s in most mocks, perhaps he'd be the reach?

You're right about last year. We picked offensive lineman with 2 of our top 3 picks and Kelly played pretty well. Did it help the team as a whole? 

Our defense was still trash, our QB still got hit and hurt and we fell further behind in the division.

Kelly played well and I'm sure he's a fine player but the team who won our division and the team who won the superbowl both did so with undrafted guys in that position so who are distributing their resources better and focusing their team building in the right areas?