Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How would you feel drafting Forrest Lamp 15th overall?

How would you feel if we drafted Forrest Lamp 15th overall?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. How would you feel if we drafted Forrest Lamp 15th overall?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Finball said:

2015, I think. Brandon Scherff. He was technically drafted as tackle but many had pegged him as a guard.

You are right.     Dead on right.

And, as you noted,  drafted to play Right Tackle,  but wound up inside at guard.

Interesting,  I always saw him as a great guard instead of a good tackle....

Here's a story I found the first time the Redskins talk about him to the media....   and Gruden introduces him saying he can play anywhere on the line,  but they'll start him at right tackle....  

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2015/04/30/redskins-take-ol-brandon-scherff-with-5th-pick-in-nfl-draft/26671313/

Good catch by you......     appreciate it....

It's torturous really as a fan.  Because you KNOW this defense needs good players in the worst way, yet we have this franchise QB who has been beaten up and is currently recovering from surgery from all those hits, and you know this guy would help with all that.  The problem is you can't have 2 high picks, so you gotta choose and just hope it's the right decision and the guy can help you.  I struggle with this "defense vs. stud OL" decision a lot.  But I would agree, this is the ONLY guy I would really consider over one of the stud defenders.

Do you spend all your time, money and effort in free agency building depth at LB, and then draft an OT? Maybe, but I would ask why not finish the build at the position in a draft arguably loaded with LB'er talent? Seems a bit sketchy to me.....

I would LOVE it if we drafted Forrest Lamp at #15. I originally thought we could trade back and still get him, but now I am convinced we need to take him at #15. 

I normally do not watch any tape, but I recommend everyone to watch some clips of this guy. He is an absolute beast on the field. He moves incredibly well. It is easy to see the Zack Martin comparisons. 

We absolutely have holes on D, but Lamp has the potential to be an All-Pro offensive lineman. We cannot afford to pass on sure things. 

hmmmmm help with the D or possibly set up the O to have a potential Dallas quality O Line with a stud at QB...in a draft as deep with D players as this, I'd have no problem with it.

Ballard even said if all things are equal he'd most likely go with the trenches.

Lamp may be the only legit 1st round talent for the o-line this year and feel if we were to draft him this year we can really focus on fixing all the problems on the D in the future. Defensive depth in this draft is deep.  Feel we can get a borderline stud CB in the 2nd and possible the 3rd if you want to wait on Sidney Jones.

Castonzo/Mewhort/Kelly/Lamp/Haeg

That is a might fine line and feel we can put the protect Luck thing to bed for a while.

4 minutes ago, polk_high_allstar said:

Lamp may be the only legit 1st round talent for the o-line this year and feel if we were to draft him this year we can really focus on fixing all the problems on the D in the future. Defensive depth in this draft is deep.  Feel we can get a borderline stud CB in the 2nd and possible the 3rd if you want to wait on Sidney Jones.

That is a might fine line and feel we can put the protect Luck thing to bed for a while.

Props for using a Youngstown State guy as your avatar.   (I just noticed him)

4 minutes ago, polk_high_allstar said:

That does look good. I'd probably go with Clark at RT and use Haeg as the 6th OL/main backup due to his versatility. Exactly like we used Reitz. Because there WILL be injuries at some point.

But either way, I'd like defense. We need defense. But if we do go offense, this would be the way to go.

I won't be mad, just disappointed that in this deep defensive draft, with our D lacking far more defensive talent than our OL lacking some talent relatively speaking, that there wouldn't have been a better tie-breaker that would have placed ANY defensive player over OL. 

Our OL is made to look worse than it is due to our schemes, play calling and Luck holding on to the ball. Until that changes, our OL talent addition can only do so much. However, adding defensive talent starting with top notch talent in round 1 would increase the margin for error for Luck hands down, during the regular season and in the playoffs. 

18 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I'd be happy and mad.  Happy that Luck is going to have a potentially better line.  Mad that the defense is missing out on a potential starter.  Heck, there's a chance Robinson falls to us, or OJ Howard.  Could we pass up either of them?

I could see us taking any position except QB and WR.  Either of those and I would question my grip on reality.  Sort of like I did after the first day of the 2015 draft.

You mean Robinson and Howard could fall to us in the second? Cause there is no dobut in my mind they will both be available at 15.

13 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

You mean Robinson and Howard could fall to us in the second? Cause there is no dobut in my mind they will both be available at 15.

No, I meant in the first.  The mocks are all over the place with them.  If you go back and look at previous years, even the best guys (Kiper, Mayock, McShay) seldom get the orders right.

I would not be upset with Robinson.  Howard would be a matchup nightmare, and we know how the Colts love to run the two TE sets.

Personally, I want the best LB/Edge that we can get at 15.

The draft would have to fall very poorly for me to be cool with Lamp at #15 (which it could). I am just not in favor of drafting another interior OL (or an OL player in this draft) in the middle of the 1st round. And I would be especially annoyed that the Colts, flush with cap space, didn't just sign one of the good FA OGs that were available.

No offense to all the guards out there :) but if we were going to go OL, I'd rather go Bolles or Ramzych --- OT. 

If we're going to draft a OL high, I would think it would make more sense to draft a LT and then switch Castonzo over to RT ---- that fixes the OL because then you can use the other guys to fill the guard spots.

49 minutes ago, polk_high_allstar said:

That  guy is Polk High's FB Al Bundy.  Once scored 4 TD's in a single game playing in the city championship!!!

The Man The Myth The Legend Al Bundy!

Yep.  In reality, he played for YSU and tried out for the Steelers.  But the TV career worked out a little better.

If we do pick up Lamp in the first then I hope we trade down to get him. That's my only stipulation. He could definatly solidify the line until we have to replace Cantonzo, or if we don't resign Mewhort and let Heag take his place then we don't have to spend another high pick/ spend top dollar for a sixth man.

The guard I'm looking at though is ethan cooper in the 4th. Will probably need a redshirt year but he has all the tools. They were praising him at the combine too. Total gem.

2 hours ago, KB said:

If we do pick up Lamp in the first then I hope we trade down to get him. That's my only stipulation. He could definatly solidify the line until we have to replace Cantonzo, or if we don't resign Mewhort and let Heag take his place then we don't have to spend another high pick/ spend top dollar for a sixth man.

The guard I'm looking at though is ethan cooper in the 4th. Will probably need a redshirt year but he has all the tools. They were praising him at the combine too. Total gem.

While I understand your reasoning trading down to get the best O-lineman in the draft could come back to bite you. These mock drafts are very rarely correct and if Lamp was who Ballard wanted to pick he needs to be picked at #15. It would not surprise me if Lamp was gone at #15.

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

While I understand your reasoning trading down to get the best O-lineman in the draft could come back to bite you. These mock drafts are very rarely correct and if Lamp was who Ballard wanted to pick he needs to be picked at #15. It would not surprise me if Lamp was gone at #15.

Cincinnati, perhaps? Their OL has had a rough offseason. 

29 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Cincinnati, perhaps? Their OL has had a rough offseason. 

They have lot of needs and seem to love picking corners in the 1st. They could pick anyone, save for QB, TE, LB and maybe couple of other positions.

OL would make a lot of sense though. Their drafts are probably more need based than for most teams since they don't use FA.

23 minutes ago, egg said:

I want the Colts to do whatever it takes to field the best run blocking and pass protecting O-line they possibly can. If that means taking Lamp at 15, I'm all for it.

Knowing Luck is in a sling and one season removed from missing almost a whole season, that is a sound comment.

14 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

No more resources on the offense, especially on the o-line!

Are people seriously only going to be happy when we have 5 first rounders playing in front of Luck?

Works pretty good for Dallas. They helped a rookie runner and a rookie QB look pretty good IMO.

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Works pretty good for Dallas. They helped a rookie runner and a rookie QB look pretty good IMO.

Ronald Leary was undrafted and Doug Free got picked in the 4th round. They filled out their lines creatively around their high picks.

They also had high draft picks (I think it's at least two first rounders) on the defensive side of the ball?

Didn't win a championship though did they so I'm not quite sure why we're using them as the benchmark anyway?

8 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

They also had high draft picks (I think it's at least two first rounder) on the defensive side of the ball?

Didn't win a championship though did they so I'm not quite sure why we're using them as the benchmark anyway?

So having a rookie QB and RB putting up the numbers they did you don't understand why their not used as a benchmark? 

Does having Luck in a sling right now or the fact Luck is a season removed from missing most of a season enter your mind?

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So having a rookie QB and RB putting up the numbers they did you don't understand why their not used as a benchmark? 

Does having Luck in a sling right now or the fact Luck is a season removed from missing most of a season enter your mind?

But they didn't have 5 first round picks playing on the offensive line! That's the point. They're held up as the great aim and the total resources spent to build it were probably no different to ours. 

Even if we spent a 1st round pick on a lineman every year and built the greatest line in the history of the game Luck would still get hit and we'd still win nothing because the defense would continue being trash. 

14 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

But they didn't have 5 first round picks playing on the offensive line! That's the point. They're held up as the great aim and the total resources spent to build it were probably no different to ours. 

Even if we spent a 1st round pick on a lineman every year and built the greatest line in the history of the game Luck would still get hit and we'd still win nothing because the defense would continue being trash. 

I think the term 5 #1 picks on the O-line was an exaggeration. I am sorry you didn't pick up on that.

If it is your opinion we shouldn't go with Lamp at pick #15 that's fine. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it.

Being argumentative over different opinion is a waist of time.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think the term 5 #1 picks on the O-line was an exaggeration. I am sorry you didn't pick up on that.

If it is your opinion we shouldn't go with Lamp at pick #15 that's fine. I personally wouldn't have a problem with it.

Being argumentative over different opinion is a waist of time.

Discussing different points of view is the purpose of the forum though.

In my view having a line that consists of three 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick and a 3rd is a poor use of resources when you should be able to fill at least one (if not 2) of those spots in a more creative manner and spread the talent around the team.

Even with the line that Dallas has built their quarterback has still been injured as much as Luck has. 

10 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Discussing different points of view is the purpose of the forum though.

In my view having a line that consists of three 1st round picks, a 2nd round pick and a 3rd is a poor use of resources when you should be able to fill at least one (if not 2) of those spots in a more creative manner and spread the talent around the team.

Even with the line that Dallas has built their quarterback has still been injured as much as Luck has. 

Dallas was the #1 seed in the NFC. They lost on a FG to a hot Green Bay team. Throwing Romo ( an injury prone QB) to say their QBs get as injured as Luck makes no sense.

If my point of view needs explaining any farther I have no doubt this IS a waist of time.

29 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Dallas was the #1 seed in the NFC. They lost on a FG to a hot Green Bay team. Throwing Romo ( an injury prone QB) to say their QBs get as injured as Luck makes no sense.

If my point of view needs explaining any farther I have no doubt this IS a waist of time.

You don't have to explain anything. I fully understand your position.

However if you're saying you want a line like Dallas' then I fully agree. What we therefore need to do is develop some low round pick or undrafted player to compliment the high picks we already have. That's what Dallas have done.

What we don't need to do is keep picking guys on the 1st or 2nd day of the draft. That's not what they've done.

14 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

You don't have to explain anything. I fully understand your position.

However if you're saying you want a line like Dallas' then I fully agree. What we therefore need to do is develop some low round pick or undrafted player to compliment the high picks we already have. That's what Dallas have done.

What we don't need to do is keep picking guys on the 1st or 2nd day of the draft. That's not what they've done.

Dude, please give it a break.

The last time I checked all teams pick guys on the 1st AND 2nd day of the draft. Now you are making less sense trying to explain something that pretty much any NFL fan already knows.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Dude, please give it a break.

The last time I checked all teams pick guys on the 1st AND 2nd day of the draft. Now you are making less sense trying to explain something that pretty much any NFL fan already knows.

I'm not explaining anything. You don't need me to teach you stuff.

I'm simply saying that I want us to build our line through a combination of scheme and coaching rather than just continually using high round picks on those players. That's exactly what a team like Dallas - the example you picked - has done.

9 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I'm not explaining anything. You don't need me to teach you stuff.

I'm simply saying that I want us to build our line through a combination of scheme and coaching rather than just continually using high round picks on those players. That's exactly what a team like Dallas - the example you picked - has done.

We have use exactly one #1 pick on the O-line with Kelly. You act like we have used numerous # 1 picks so I don't get your exaggeration.

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

What round was our left tackle picked in?

It makes no difference.

At the time the picks used on the O-line was a very needy position. That was obvious. There was a couple of decent players taken at that time. Did all work out? No. That is the point that Grigson was on his way down. He is not longer here.

If Lamp is taken at #15 it does not set a pattern of anything. You are arguing an issue that has exactly zero to do with each other.

1-Luck is in a sling.

2-Luck is one season away from a season long injury.

3- We are near the bottom of the league in rushing.

4-Keeping Luck on the field increases the chances of winning with any backup QB on the roster at this time.

These are the reason I think Lamp wouldn't be the wrong pick if taken.

If Ballard goes in a different direction I have no problem with that if the player can start from day one.

You are making an issue with me that has no bearing nor is an issue because Ballard will make his pick and not give the past a thought.