Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

salary cap

csmopar

question:  I was just over at Overthecap.com, was looking ,they have Jack Doyle's contract and our cuts/dead money updated and our current cap at 47 million and change, but I still see Pat's and Reitz's salary hits on there.  When players retire, do their salaries for that next season still count?  

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

question:  I was just over at Overthecap.com, was looking ,they have Jack Doyle's contract and our cuts/dead money updated and our current cap at 47 million and change, but I still see Pat's and Reitz's salary hits on there.  When players retire, do their salaries for that next season still count?  

Only their dead money will count against the cap...like if they were cut. 

I didn't see Reitz on there, but McAfee was still on there, which means the Colts have $2.55M more in cap space than OTC shows.

30 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

She they do have the 8 million cap hit for Doyle down already? 

Yes

1 minute ago, Rick_Grimes said:

Besides Jones.. anyone else worth cutting in Indianapolis?

Most anyone on the defense. But if I'm Ballard, I don't cut anyone until i fill their shoes.

Here is what I posted in another thread,   NFL network and other sites leave out a lot of factors.  We cant't actually spend all that is there.  Take into account that he had Doyle at 6.33 this yr before the terms were announced so adjust it with Doyle getting 8ish this yr.

$167.000m = NFL 2017 Salary Cap
$006.614m = 2016 Unused 2016 Colts Cap
=======
$173.614m = 2017 Colts Salary Cap

$114.292m = Current Top 51 Player Cap Hits
$001.080m = Adding players #52 and #53 to Player Cap Hits
$006.224m = Estimated 2017 Colts Draft Pool Cap Hits
$001.376m = Dead Money
$001.224m = Practice Squad ($7,200 per week x 10 players x 17 weeks)
=======
$124.196m = Current Cap Obligations

$49.418m Free Cap Space

Need to take away about $3.000m for in-season "churn" space for when a player goes on IR and a player from the practice squad is "brought up" to the active roster.  

We don't yet know the structure of Jack Doyle's new contract. If we assume that it is pretty straight line, then subtract $6.333m in available cap space.

$40.085m in Free Cap Space to sign new free agents.

30 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Here is what I posted in another thread,   NFL network and other sites leave out a lot of factors.  We cant't actually spend all that is there.  Take into account that he had Doyle at 6.33 this yr before the terms were announced so adjust it with Doyle getting 8ish this yr.

$167.000m = NFL 2017 Salary Cap
$006.614m = 2016 Unused 2016 Colts Cap
=======
$173.614m = 2017 Colts Salary Cap

$114.292m = Current Top 51 Player Cap Hits
$001.080m = Adding players #52 and #53 to Player Cap Hits
$006.224m = Estimated 2017 Colts Draft Pool Cap Hits
$001.376m = Dead Money
$001.224m = Practice Squad ($7,200 per week x 10 players x 17 weeks)
=======
$124.196m = Current Cap Obligations

$49.418m Free Cap Space

Need to take away about $3.000m for in-season "churn" space for when a player goes on IR and a player from the practice squad is "brought up" to the active roster.  

We don't yet know the structure of Jack Doyle's new contract. If we assume that it is pretty straight line, then subtract $6.333m in available cap space.

$40.085m in Free Cap Space to sign new free agents.

Wow! That's a yuuuuge difference from the 55m NFL Network reported. 

2 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Yeah, very team friendly. Years 2-3, no guaranteed money, can cut at $0.00 dead cap.

Honestly I don't think he will need to be cut. He is gonna only improve. Would have rather signed him to a 3 year/ 15 million contract with most guaranteed. But that's just me. Still a good contract 

We have enough for Perry and one of the following. Bouye, Gilmore, Claiborne, etc, Dontari Poe, Chris Baker, Donta Hightower, Zach Brown, Kevin Zeitler, TJ Lang. I say bring in Nick Perry by any means necessary then  TJ Lang, and one of the cheaper corners like Prince or Claiborne or Kirkpatrick. They could probably be had for around 3/18 except maybe Dre. But I'd be happy with just Perry and either a CB or a G. Bottom line is we have the money to make a splash and have a big smirk on our faces. CB's wanting to win now. He's not down with wasting away 12's career saying "Oh we cant fix it overnight" Well signing a guy who IMO will put up 15 sacks, a solid number 2 CB like Prince for cheap, drafting a couple good EDGE rushers, signing a good Guard, drafting a couple good ILB's, and drafting Mixon in the 3-4 range makes us a playoff team capable of a run. Lang at RG with Mixon and Gore would give Luck a run game and real protection.

10 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

We have enough for Perry and one of the following. Bouye, Gilmore, Claiborne, etc, Dontari Poe, Chris Baker, Donta Hightower, Zach Brown, Kevin Zeitler, TJ Lang. I say bring in Nick Perry by any means necessary then  TJ Lang, and one of the cheaper corners like Prince or Claiborne or Kirkpatrick. They could probably be had for around 3/18 except maybe Dre. But I'd be happy with just Perry and either a CB or a G. Bottom line is we have the money to make a splash and have a big smirk on our faces. CB's wanting to win now. He's not down with wasting away 12's career saying "Oh we cant fix it overnight" Well signing a guy who IMO will put up 15 sacks, a solid number 2 CB like Prince for cheap, drafting a couple good EDGE rushers, signing a good Guard, drafting a couple good ILB's, and drafting Mixon in the 3-4 range makes us a playoff team capable of a run. Lang at RG with Mixon and Gore would give Luck a run game and real protection.

Nick Perry resigned with Green Bay

15 hours ago, Virtuoso80 said:

I think we have 52 mil of cap left.  over the cap still had DA and Pat on the roster.  Doyle was already counted for with 8 mil cap hit.

you are not taking into account practice squad, draft picks etc.....