Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would you pick with our 1st?

Skill position or Trenches  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• LB,CB,DE,OL(Barnett,Mckinnley,Wilson,Jones,Thomas,Williams,Foster,Robinson ETC)
    • RB(Cook,Fournette)

The key is the make up of your board.... I have a feeling it is going to be different this year with Chris Ballard.

Take the best player available on your board.... If there are a group with same ranking than pick Defense over Offense. Let the new GM make the final decision. The real key to the draft is not the 1st round but the ones that follow, including the FA. 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Indy Fan said:

It all depends on what defenders are still on the board. This is all hypothetical until we are on the clock so we won't know for sure until the .

Of course, but common sense says a good defender will be there at #15. We're not picking at the end of the draft. And hopefully this is the last time for while that we're picking so high, and if so, I'd rather get the high value position that usually is not available later in the 1st. 

13 minutes ago, AustexColt said:

The key is the make up of your board.... I have a feeling it is going to be different this year with Chris Ballard.

Take the best player available on your board.... If there are a group with same ranking than pick Defense over Offense. Let the new GM make the final decision. The real key to the draft is not the 1st round but the ones that follow, including the FA. 

Same here. I'm not even worried about us taking a RB in the 1st. Grigson is gone. 

2 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Of course, but common sense says a good defender will be there at #15. We're not picking at the end of the draft. And hopefully this is the last time for while that we're picking so high, and if so, I'd rather get the high value position that usually is not available later in the 1st. 

Common sense says there is going to be good players on the board, however, are they a scheme fit, how does our FO evaluate them, do they hold up during interview, etc. There are a variables that effect who we are going to draft and to state otherwise is just speculation. I agree we need to focus on defense but if a running back is available that is a tier or two above defense prospects that are a scheme fit you have to pull the trigger on the running back in my eyes. I hate seeing, "we can draft one in the later rounds." If it was that easy then we/everyone else would have a stud running back.

46 minutes ago, Indy Fan said:

Common sense says there is going to be good players on the board, however, are they a scheme fit, how does our FO evaluate them, do they hold up during interview, etc. There are a variables that effect who we are going to draft and to state otherwise is just speculation. I agree we need to focus on defense but if a running back is available that is a tier or two above defense prospects that are a scheme fit you have to pull the trigger on the running back in my eyes. I hate seeing, "we can draft one in the later rounds." If it was that easy then we/everyone else would have a stud running back.

I've said before on here, if only a "tier 2" defender is available then yeah take Cook. But the odds of a tier 1 defender not being there are prettty damn slim IMO.

And this is a great draft to get a RB in later rounds.

6 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I've said before on here, if only a "tier 2" defender is available then yeah take Cook. But the odds of a tier 1 defender not being there are prettty damn slim IMO.

And this is a great draft to get a RB in later rounds.

I think our definition on tier 1 defender that is a scheme fit differs. What players are you thinking are tier 1 that you would draft over Fournette? Additionally, I'm not saying this isn't a loaded running back but the odds one of the day 2 backs has remotely the same production as Fournette/Cook is slim.

On 2/9/2017 at 6:45 AM, Majin Vegeta said:

Before you vote, take a second to think about the Detroit and Houston games. Then soak it in that our defense ranked 30th overall last year, and offense 10th. 

Feel free to add a different defender or offensive linemen, I just threw a couple names in there. There obviously isn't any other skill position choices. 

Call up the Browns, and offer up our 1st for both of their 2nd round picks. That would give us 3 picks in the 2nd round... the 1st overall, 15, and 20. On top of that, we could seriously think about moving a couple guys for additional draft picks as well (Gore, Davis, Allen), and potentially have up to 10 picks, along with the ~$65-70mil in cap to play with.

Davis could potentially net a 3rd round pick, Gore maybe a 4th, and Allen wouldn't likely get anything above a 5th, if that, but having those additional picks would go along way in filling holes, and we wouldn't be losing much in the way of production, aside from Gore.

I don't think this'll happen, but I wouldn't be against it. It'd basically be a massive rebuild, which we kind of need.

I want Derek Barnett or Solomon Thomas if one of them is there in my opinion. If not, it may be a tough choice to either just go ahead and grab Takk McKinley or take a gamble on Tim Williams? Williams may drop, who knows right now. Or... if Barnett and Thomas aren't there at our pick, do we look at a stud CB like Sidney Jones or Marshon Lattimore. A few great choices that may be available to us at our pick. 

46 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Call up the Browns, and offer up our 1st for both of their 2nd round picks. That would give us 3 picks in the 2nd round... the 1st overall, 15, and 20. On top of that, we could seriously think about moving a couple guys for additional draft picks as well (Gore, Davis, Allen), and potentially have up to 10 picks, along with the ~$65-70mil in cap to play with.

Davis could potentially net a 3rd round pick, Gore maybe a 4th, and Allen wouldn't likely get anything above a 5th, if that, but having those additional picks would go along way in filling holes, and we wouldn't be losing much in the way of production, aside from Gore.

I don't think this'll happen, but I wouldn't be against it. It'd basically be a massive rebuild, which we kind of need.

I like the thought but Gore and Allen are not getting you anything before the 5th round.  Allen is your best bet of even a 5th rounder and that seems like a long shot since he is never healthy and has not had the best last 2 years.  But grabbing 3 2nd round picks and trying to get a 3rd for Vontae would be nice.  7 draft picks in rounds 2-4.  Some good talent IMO.

Just now, DaColts85 said:

I like the thought but Gore and Allen are not getting you anything before the 5th round.  Allen is your best bet of even a 5th rounder and that seems like a long shot since he is never healthy and has not had the best last 2 years.  But grabbing 3 2nd round picks and trying to get a 3rd for Vontae would be nice.  7 draft picks in rounds 2-4.  Some good talent IMO.

Yeah I was being pretty optimistic on Gore and Allen. It would probably be better to cut Gore and save the money, plus that would give him the freedom to pick wherever he wants to go. At this point I'd honestly take a 7th for Allen just to get his contract off the books and to get Doyle and Swoope on the field more.

Getting a 3rd for Vontae is at least somewhat doable, I think. But all in all, I like the idea of having (3) 2nd round picks as opposed to having a brand new GM making a boom-or-bust decision at pick 15. And I think Cleveland would actually do it, because it would give them (3) 1st round picks.

28 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Yeah I was being pretty optimistic on Gore and Allen. It would probably be better to cut Gore and save the money, plus that would give him the freedom to pick wherever he wants to go. At this point I'd honestly take a 7th for Allen just to get his contract off the books and to get Doyle and Swoope on the field more.

Getting a 3rd for Vontae is at least somewhat doable, I think. But all in all, I like the idea of having (3) 2nd round picks as opposed to having a brand new GM making a boom-or-bust decision at pick 15. And I think Cleveland would actually do it, because it would give them (3) 1st round picks.

I could easily seeing Cleveland doing that.  Still a new group of leaders there and 3 1st rounders within the top 15 is pretty nice.  I think we could convince a team to give us maybe a 6th for Allen but I would be happy with whatever like you said to unload the cap hit.  I would think of keeping Vontae though because he is still our clear #1.  A 3rd round would be nice but it would be a hit against our D that is already a struggle in progress.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

I could easily seeing Cleveland doing that.  Still a new group of leaders there and 3 1st rounders within the top 15 is pretty nice.  I think we could convince a team to give us maybe a 6th for Allen but I would be happy with whatever like you said to unload the cap hit.  I would think of keeping Vontae though because he is still our clear #1.  A 3rd round would be nice but it would be a hit against our D that is already a struggle in progress.

The problem with Vontae is that he's in a contract year, so we can let him walk next year and get a comp pick (likely a 4th or 5th), or we could trade him for a 3rd now (which is what New England would do). Replacing him won't be so hard with 9 draft picks and $65mil in cap money.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The problem with Vontae is that he's in a contract year, so we can let him walk next year and get a comp pick (likely a 4th or 5th), or we could trade him for a 3rd now (which is what New England would do). Replacing him won't be so hard with 9 draft picks and $65mil in cap money.

This is a great point.  I agree and like that point-of-view!

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't think it will happen either brotha lol. To be honest I'm happy with how we sit right now, we can potentially get 3 starters just from the draft. And 1 or 2 from free agency. 

20 hours ago, Indy Fan said:

I think our definition on tier 1 defender that is a scheme fit differs. What players are you thinking are tier 1 that you would draft over Fournette? Additionally, I'm not saying this isn't a loaded running back but the odds one of the day 2 backs has remotely the same production as Fournette/Cook is slim.

I don't buy that sir.

Day 2 backs in the NFL

1. Bell 2nd rd (48)

2. D. Johnson 3rd rd (86)

3. J Charles 3rd rd (73)

4. F Gore 3rd rd (65)

5. M Forte 2nd rd (44)

6. L. McCoy 2nd rd (53)

7. L Miller 4th rd (97)

8. D. Freeman 4th rd (103)

9. J Howard 5th rd (150)

10 J Ajayi 5th rd (149)

11 D. Murray 3rd (71)

12 L Blount undrafted

and many many more.

So for every Peterson and Elliott we can see that evry single one of these guys would be available in the second to later rds where we would pick. Fact is the while yes an elite rb could be there in the first rd....similar production can be found in later rds from rbs. Of course there are rbs in rd 1 that turn out to be good like Peterson, Elliott, Martin, Gurley but we also see if their OL sucks they aren't going to be much better than one of these later rd picks...and perhaps not even as good as what we see from these backs all things equal. My sentiment is that there are a few positions on the football field that just aren't as valuable (production over replacement..think WAR in baseball)...RB, S, TE would typically be these players because you can find value later in the draft or on your team that can replace almost if not as much production as you would lose from not having the very best. For this reason there must be a clear talent or separation for me to select a guy...or pay a guy a premium contract at one of these positions. So...for my money I would expect us to take someone other than a rb in rd 1....just my opinion though. As you can see from my quick list...if this draft is typical of any other draft (probably so) there will be a rb of value in rd 2 or later for us that will likely be every bit as productive as say a rd 1 talented back.

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

I don't think it will happen either brotha lol. To be honest I'm happy with how we sit right now, we can potentially get 3 starters just from the draft. And 1 or 2 from free agency. 

Likely not, but I could see Ballard trading back for an additional 2nd or 3rd. And even if he doesn't trade back, I still think he may try to move Allen and Davis. There's more to gain by moving them than there is by keeping them at this point.

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Likely not, but I could see Ballard trading back for an additional 2nd or 3rd. And even if he doesn't trade back, I still think he may try to move Allen and Davis. There's more to gain by moving them than there is by keeping them at this point.

I dont see us trading back, I think a really good defender will be available at #15 jmo.  And only way I'd be fine with letting Vontae go is if we sign one in FA. Preferably Bouye. Think I read today that Houston isn't going to tag him, hopefully he tests the market. 

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

I dont see us trading back, I think a really good defender will be available at #15 jmo.  And only way I'd be fine with letting Vontae go is if we sign one in FA. Preferably Bouye. Think I read today that Houston isn't going to tag him, hopefully he tests the market. 

And I'm fine with that. I just thought I'd throw out the trading back idea because no one else had.

I just feel like at this point we've gotten all that we're gonna get out of the Davis trade. Keeping him or moving him isn't going to be the difference between the Colts being a Super Bowl contender or not. I'm for moving him because whether they trade him for a pick and replace him via the draft, or sign a guy like Bouye in FA, either way, we get younger at the position, and the defense will be better long-term.

However, it is a contract year for Davis, so we'll probably get a "Vintage Vontae" type of season out of him.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

And I'm fine with that. I just thought I'd throw out the trading back idea because no one else had.

I just feel like at this point we've gotten all that we're gonna get out of the Davis trade. Keeping him or moving him isn't going to be the difference between the Colts being a Super Bowl contender or not. I'm for moving him because whether they trade him for a pick and replace him via the draft, or sign a guy like Bouye in FA, either way, we get younger at the position, and the defense will be better long-term.

However, it is a contract year for Davis, so we'll probably get a "Vintage Vontae" type of season out of him.

Yeah I think we've seen the best from Vontae unfortunately. And even if he does have a good season, I'd like us to move on, and like you said, get younger at the postion. I dont see him playing safety(for us), he gets hurt too much.  It's a great offseason for CB's too.

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

No way I trade out of the first completely. Id like to trade back and get an extra 2nd but a top 15 pick for 2 2nd rounds does not add up. I think Frank Gore needs to stay at least 1 more year and work with a young guy we hopefully bring in. Dwayne Allen, if we could get a 7th round pick for him I'd do it. If not cut him so we can afford to pay Jack Doyle top dollar. Vontae Davis, I love the thought of trading him. Idk if he's still worth a 3rd, but I think we can dish him for a 4th. That gives us 3 4th round picks, use two to trade back up into the 3rd round and in your scenario. Wed have a later first round, 2 second rounders, and 2 3rd rounders. That's how you start a new regime as GM

1 minute ago, Tmoney said:

No way I trade out of the first completely. Id like to trade back and get an extra 2nd but a top 15 pick for 2 2nd rounds does not add up. I think Frank Gore needs to stay at least 1 more year and work with a young guy we hopefully bring in. Dwayne Allen, if we could get a 7th round pick for him I'd do it. If not cut him so we can afford to pay Jack Doyle top dollar. Vontae Davis, I love the thought of trading him. Idk if he's still worth a 3rd, but I think we can dish him for a 4th. That gives us 3 4th round picks, use two to trade back up into the 3rd round and in your scenario. Wed have a later first round, 2 second rounders, and 2 3rd rounders. That's how you start a new regime as GM

The ONLY way I'd trade out of the 1st completely is if it's the Browns, because they own pick #33. But outside of that, yes, all bets are off. And trading back into the 20s and getting an extra 2nd would be legit.

See, this GM stuff isn't so hard.

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

The ONLY way I'd trade out of the 1st completely is if it's the Browns, because they own pick #33. But outside of that, yes, all bets are off. And trading back into the 20s and getting an extra 2nd would be legit.

See, this GM stuff isn't so hard.

Grigson on here taking notes, trying to study up for his next job. Hahahaha Yea right what next job:p 

1 minute ago, Tmoney said:

Grigson on here taking notes, trying to study up for his next job. Hahahaha Yea right what next job:p 

I'd bet that he ends up back in Philly at some point, but he just got paid handsomely to stop being the Colts GM, so I doubt he's in a real hurry to get back to it. He's basically on paid vacation for the next 2 years.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don't buy that sir.

Day 2 backs in the NFL

1. Bell 2nd rd (48)

3. J Charles 3rd rd (73)

4. F Gore 3rd rd (65)

5. M Forte 2nd rd (44)

6. L. McCoy 2nd rd (53)

7. L Miller 4th rd (97)

9. J Howard 5th rd (150)

10 J Ajayi 5th rd (149)

11 D. Murray 3rd (71)

12 L Blount undrafted

and many many more.

So for every Peterson and Elliott we can see that evry single one of these guys would be available in the second to later rds where we would pick. Fact is the while yes an elite rb could be there in the first rd....similar production can be found in later rds from rbs. Of course there are rbs in rd 1 that turn out to be good like Peterson, Elliott, Martin, Gurley but we also see if their OL sucks they aren't going to be much better than one of these later rd picks...and perhaps not even as good as what we see from these backs all things equal. My sentiment is that there are a few positions on the football field that just aren't as valuable (production over replacement..think WAR in baseball)...RB, S, TE would typically be these players because you can find value later in the draft or on your team that can replace almost if not as much production as you would lose from not having the very best. For this reason there must be a clear talent or separation for me to select a guy...or pay a guy a premium contract at one of these positions. So...for my money I would expect us to take someone other than a rb in rd 1....just my opinion though. As you can see from my quick list...if this draft is typical of any other draft (probably so) there will be a rb of value in rd 2 or later for us that will likely be every bit as productive as say a rd 1 talented back.

lol nice list now go out and list how many didn't make it and your list will be much longer. The overall point is RB like cook and fournette sure things to have an impact at the position in the career don't come around every draft. Every RB you list turned out to be much better than were they were projected they were all risks they could of done nothing but turned out better and if redrafted many would go in the 1st round of their draft class. Finding a steal is hard and a long shot. There is no point in drafting a RB if it isn't Cook or Fournette because we need defensive picks. Rather take a long shot on a defensive position than a RB. Your RB assessment is dead wrong btw. If it was true fournette/cook and even macaffrey would not be projected 1st round or many proj rd 2 would be 1st there is a clear gap there and that is why fournette will be gone in top 5-10. Cook may even be gone before Colts pick but that frees up a defensive guy assuming 2 teams pick QB's if this doesn't happen 1st round pick likely won't be as good as it could've.

3 minutes ago, Jesse Lafantaisie said:

lol nice list now go out and list how many didn't make it and your list will be much longer. The overall point is RB like cook and fournette sure things to have an impact at the position in the career don't come around every draft. Every RB you list turned out to be much better than were they were projected they were all risks they could of done nothing but turned out better and if redrafted many would go in the 1st round of their draft class. Finding a steal is hard and a long shot. There is no point in drafting a RB if it isn't Cook or Fournette because we need defensive picks. Rather take a long shot on a defensive position than a RB.

Honestly I agree with him. Look at the last several drafts. Good RB's have been found in every draft. It isn't gonna hurt us to draft one in the 3rd or 4th. Or even wait a year and sign a quality back to pair with Gore. I'm for drafting a RB this year as long as it isn't in the first, but it doesn't have to be in the top 3 rounds with this draft class. 

1 minute ago, Colts1324 said:

Honestly I agree with him. Look at the last several drafts. Good RB's have been found in every draft. It isn't gonna hurt us to draft one in the 3rd or 4th. Or even wait a year and sign a quality back to pair with Gore. I'm for drafting a RB this year as long as it isn't in the first, but it doesn't have to be in the top 3 rounds with this draft class. 

so you would pass on fournette? lol.

16 minutes ago, Colts1324 said:

No point in trying to convince him. We have like 3 starters on defense and he wants to draft a RB in the 1st lol. In a deep rb class. 

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I'd bet that he ends up back in Philly at some point, but he just got paid handsomely to stop being the Colts GM, so I doubt he's in a real hurry to get back to it. He's basically on paid vacation for the next 2 years.

Didn't you see the article of the Philly scout ripping Grigson saying he couldn't believe he got a GM job. I dont think he finds work again tbh look at his resume, its disgusting. He better not take a vacation he better save ever dollar he milks out of the colts.

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don't buy that sir.

Day 2 backs in the NFL

1. Bell 2nd rd (48)

3. J Charles 3rd rd (73)

4. F Gore 3rd rd (65)

5. M Forte 2nd rd (44)

6. L. McCoy 2nd rd (53)

7. L Miller 4th rd (97)

9. J Howard 5th rd (150)

10 J Ajayi 5th rd (149)

11 D. Murray 3rd (71)

12 L Blount undrafted

and many many more.

Don't buy what? The logic could be applied to any position because in reality drafting players is just playing the odds. I'm going to guess that roughly 20 running backs get selected each year in the draft and more get signed shortly after due to various reasons (falling through the cracks/punching someone "Blount"/drugs/etc.), therefore, statistically speaking I hope there are some starting running backs from day 2. I'm not advocating against using a pick from day 2 on a running back. My main point is that if Fournette is available and there is no defender on the same tier, why wouldn't you draft the best running back prospect since AP? In all reality, Fournette won't get past Carolina and sooner so this thread is pointless. To answer my question regarding which defense prospects I would select over Fournette it would go: Garrett, Allen, Foster, Hooker, Lattimore, and Barnett. I'm interested in Thomas, Takk, and Taco in that second tier possibly Watt and Reddick if they interview well and have a solid combine.

11 minutes ago, Indy Fan said:

Don't buy what? The logic could be applied to any position because in reality drafting players is just playing the odds. I'm going to guess that roughly 20 running backs get selected each year in the draft and more get signed shortly after due to various reasons (falling through the cracks/punching someone "Blount"/drugs/etc.), therefore, statistically speaking I hope there are some starting running backs from day 2. I'm not advocating against using a pick from day 2 on a running back. My main point is that if Fournette is available and there is no defender on the same tier, why wouldn't you draft the best running back prospect since AP? In all reality, Fournette won't get past Carolina and sooner so this thread is pointless. To answer my question regarding which defense prospects I would select over Fournette it would go: Garrett, Allen, Foster, Hooker, Lattimore, and Barnett. I'm interested in Thomas, Takk, and Taco in that second tier possibly Watt and Reddick if they interview well and have a solid combine.

Woahhh take it easyy. And imo Thomas, Takk, Williams and Jones are also tier 1. 

9 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Woahhh take it easyy. And imo Thomas, Takk, Williams and Jones are also tier 1. 

The way the question for the poll is worded makes the thread pointless but that's my opinion. I have doubts about putting Williams in that second tier until I can get my hands on some interviews where he discusses defensive schemes and his personal life. I want to make sure he can comprehend the game and not just be a toolbox and I want to make sure he seems genuine about his drug mistakes. 

17 minutes ago, Indy Fan said:

The way the question for the poll is worded makes the thread pointless but that's my opinion. I have doubts about putting Williams in that second tier until I can get my hands on some interviews where he discusses defensive schemes and his personal life. I want to make sure he can comprehend the game and not just be a toolbox and I want to make sure he seems genuine about his drug mistakes. 

Explain please. I put potential #15 defenders, and then the 2 "star" RB. You act like I put Jonathon Allen and Jamal Adams as options.. sorry other people don't value a RB as high as you do. It was a good thread, let me know there is some common sense here :)

And that's fine.