Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would you pick with our 1st?

Skill position or Trenches  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you pick?

• LB,CB,DE,OL(Barnett,Mckinnley,Wilson,Jones,Thomas,Williams,Foster,Robinson ETC)
    • RB(Cook,Fournette)

4 minutes ago, CantBeStopped said:

If I'm going bpa yes foster would be the only one. Besides the obvious Garrett. Cook is a top 5-10 prospect. He would be rated higher than any defender at our spot. But this is all my opinion of course

Maybe with Griggles. I don't think so now though.

And it's just my opinion too, both of us can only speculate and have these fun debates lol.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I'm pretty high on Barnett and Tim Williams, I'd be okay with Takk.

I agree though I'd love if we took a CB. 

CB is a need just like ER.  I think after the combine (alleviates a lot of conversation) Barnett drops to end of 1st IMO.  I do think he will be solid but a 4-3 team would have better use for him.  Out of the 3 you mentioned I like Takk the most.

1 minute ago, DaColts85 said:

CB is a need just like ER.  I think after the combine (alleviates a lot of conversation) Barnett drops to end of 1st IMO.  I do think he will be solid but a 4-3 team would have better use for him.  Out of the 3 you mentioned I like Takk the most.

Ballard said he looks at analytics and numbers, but really the good ones pop on tape. So I think he will like Barnett. But who knows..

And I like Tim quite a bit more than Takk, but I would still be happy if Ballard chose Mckinnley.

4 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Ballard said he looks at analytics and numbers, but really the good ones pop on tape. So I think he will like Barnett. But who knows..

And I like Tim quite a bit more than Takk, but I would still be happy if Ballard chose Mckinnley.

Yea he like analytics and is big on height, weight, and speed.  He said like 10 times lol.  Barnett's speed and all around athleticism I think is what keeps him lower on our board.  That being said I think Tim Willams becomes a popular name after the combine along with Takk.  I just see Takk being a better day 1 player.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I will go with BPA.  If Foster is there yes please but I have a crush on him.  That being said I like Ballard and am interested to see his approach as I already think he is better at evaluating talent compared to Grigson.  His board should be different and I assume a lot of D players will be there.  If Cook is tops then again go BPA.

Ahhh, the hope of change....over 1 billion served...all satisfied customers.

9 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I don't see Lattimore being available at our pick but if he was that would be huge.  He could be a day 1 starter and in year 2 become a replacement for Davis if money is an issue.

Lattimore and M. Hooker are my two favorites in the draft. I`d be happy with either and I don`t think Hooker`s injury is much to worry about. Both may very well be gone though. The bottom line is the Colts need player makers every where on defense. Those guys fit the mold! I do think the Colts number 1 need is pass rush, but am firmly against drafting for immediate need in the 1st when better players are available.

4 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Yea he like analytics and is big on height, weight, and speed.  He said like 10 times lol.  Barnett's speed and all around athleticism I think is what keeps him lower on our board.  That being said I think Tim Willams becomes a popular name after the combine along with Takk.  I just see Takk being a better day 1 player.

Yes but also said that the good ones pop on tape consistently and that's really what he goes by. And why do you see Takk being a better day 1 player? He has only excelled in college because of his athleticism, he has a lot to learn. Tim already has moves, he is great at rushing, he just needs to work on stopping the run. But they both will need to work on that. 

4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Lattimore and M. Hooker are my two favorites in the draft. I`d be happy with either and I don`t think Hooker`s injury is much to worry about. Both may very well be gone though. The bottom line is the Colts need player makers every where on defense. Those guys fit the mold! I do think the Colts number 1 need is pass rush, but am firmly against drafting for immediate need in the 1st when better players are available.

We have a lot of needs so it is hard to say what the immediate need would be.  Most would say ER which is a need but as fans you can always speculate this and that but as a GM you add talent where is it when it's your pick.  As you said we need play makers and it could come from a majority of places not just an OLB/ER.  

I also like Hooker.  I think both are gone as well and I can see Jets grabbing one or the other if they are still there.

1 minute ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Yes but also said that the good ones pop on tape consistently and that's really what he goes by. And why do you see Takk being a better day 1 player? He has only excelled in college because of his athleticism, he has a lot to learn. Tim already has moves, he is great at rushing, he just needs to work on stopping the run. But they both will need to work on that. 

Takk learning a move or two to help will not be that hard IMO.  Williams has some moves but look at the Championship game for example.  Did he pop on tape going against a freshmen fill in Tackle.  No but watching that game and tape on that D in general I see Anderson pop more.  I think Both Willimas and Takk both have the ability to become dominant.  The importance for them and our D to be great is far more than that one ER spot.  Produce a top D-line and watch the other spots shine.  Produce pressure and watch the secondary shine.

22 minutes ago, stitches said:

BPA. If the players are in the same tier I would prefer it to not be a RB in the first.

Then vote trenches my good man.

21 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Takk learning a move or two to help will not be that hard IMO.  Williams has some moves but look at the Championship game for example.  Did he pop on tape going against a freshmen fill in Tackle.  No but watching that game and tape on that D in general I see Anderson pop more.  I think Both Willimas and Takk both have the ability to become dominant.  The importance for them and our D to be great is far more than that one ER spot.  Produce a top D-line and watch the other spots shine.  Produce pressure and watch the secondary shine.

You're right he wasn't impressive at all that game, but we have to look at his whole season not just one game. Tim got pressure on 26.1% of his rushes, the ncaa average is 10%. That is impressive.

But I agree with the bolded, they can both be dominant, and I'd be happy with either. 

Foster would be a game changer, McKinley is very good too with his supreme athleticism and upside, Thomas's work speaks for itself (and with Ballard's trenches approach), Fournette is easily a top 3 talent. 

Apart from those, Cook makes sense as best value at middle of the first round. Wouldn't take Barnett or Lattimore over Cook. 

10 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

You're right he wasn't impressive at all that game, but we have to look at his whole season not just one game. Tim got pressure on 26.1% of his rushes, the ncaa average is 10%. That is impressive.

But I agree with the bolded, they can both be dominant, and I'd be happy with either. 

Done, Voted.

15 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

My only issue with this and it is also why some players from Alabama don't become what we think they will is look at the front 7.  You have 4 players possibly going 1st round.  You have great players all around so if a team has a weak spot someone has a great game.  Now I think Allen will be a stud as well as Foster but you always have the possibility of being blinded by the light sort of speak.  Dominance everywhere equals players looking great and padding the stats.  This is one key reason plus athleticism that I like Takk more.  He has shown he has skills (and he alone).  Just my opinion though, I could be crazy!

Just now, DaColts85 said:

My only issue with this and it is also why some players from Alabama don't become what we think they will is look at the front 7.  You have 4 players possibly going 1st round.  You have great players all around so if a team has a weak spot someone has a great game.  Now I think Allen will be a stud as well as Foster but you always have the possibility of being blinded by the light sort of speak.  Dominance everywhere equals players looking great and padding the stats.  This is one key reason plus athleticism that I like Takk more.  He has shown he has skills (and he alone).  Just my opinion though, I could be crazy!

No you have good points. Twas a nice talk sir. I won't complain if we pick Takk.

2 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I don't agree with the "great offense will mask our terrible defense" argument. I'd rather just upgrade the depleted defense. 

I don't think drafting 1 RB is going stop us from upgrading our defense. The majority of the picks should be defense, most every one agrees on that...I think the argument is over what to do with that first pick, and an argument can be made that a stud running back can have just as much impact on the team as a stud pass rusher. You take stud pass rusher and double him and scheme him and do all you can to take him out of play and your left to deal with what? A bunch of rookies and bottom tear players as the defense stands now. You take stud running back and throw 8 in box and scheme to get him out of the plan and your left dealing with an extremely potent offense..still. Myself, I just want a solid pick, a player who performs up to the demands of a number one pick, but I can see how the argument can go both ways.

1 minute ago, James Ducheteau said:

I don't think drafting 1 RB is going stop us from upgrading our defense. The majority of the picks should be defense, most every one agrees on that...I think the argument is over what to do with that first pick, and an argument can be made that a stud running back can have just as much impact on the team as a stud pass rusher. You take stud pass rusher and double him and scheme him and do all you can to take him out of play and your left to deal with what? A bunch of rookies and bottom tear players as the defense stands now. You take stud running back and throw 8 in box and scheme to get him out of the plan and your left dealing with an extremely potent offense..still. Myself, I just want a solid pick, a player who performs up to the demands of a number one pick, but I can see how the argument can go both ways.

I don't agree that a RB would make as much of an impact for us as a pass rusher. I also think skill positions value is much lower than pass rushers/cover corners. But I just want a solid pick too, blue chip player.

11 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I don't agree that a RB would make as much of an impact for us as a pass rusher. I also think skill positions value is much lower than pass rushers/cover corners. But I just want a solid pick too, blue chip player.

I just think the argument would have more merit if the defense wasn't a god awful dumpster fire, as it is, to me the debate of taking #1/2 RB vs #3/4 pass rusher is a wash.

I'm all about taking a defender round 1, but I'm not trying to reach on a lot of the names you guys are throwing out here. I'm very low on Derek barrnet, extremely over rated. If we take gareon Conley or Sidney Jones with 14/15 I'll sock somebody up. That would mean we passed on possibly quincy, teez, white, and Humphrey. I think I saw a few Tim Williams, he's an amazing talent, but dam how stupid would we be to draft the burn out at 15. If these are all that's left by the time 15 comes around, we gotta trade back

10 minutes ago, I'm mad, bro said:

I'm all about taking a defender round 1, but I'm not trying to reach on a lot of the names you guys are throwing out here. I'm very low on Derek barrnet, extremely over rated. If we take gareon Conley or Sidney Jones with 14/15 I'll sock somebody up. That would mean we passed on possibly quincy, teez, white, and Humphrey. I think I saw a few Tim Williams, he's an amazing talent, but dam how stupid would we be to draft the burn out at 15. If these are all that's left by the time 15 comes around, we gotta trade back

Barnett pops on tape. Projected as a top-10 player by National mock drafts.

I'm just gonna disagree if you think Humphrey and Teez are better cover corners than Sydney lol. Humphrey is known for being a big hitter and Teez excels in zone. Sydney and Wilson are very good man corners. ?

And Tim a "burn out"? What does that even mean? The dude loves Football and got pressure on 26% of his rushes compared to the ncaa average of 10%.

This is a very deep class in our positions of need (Edge, CB, LB and RB). So much so that this is one of very very few drafts I would be okay trading a future pick for one this year because there has been a very good run on talent the last couple years and it's only a matter of time before we get another bad draft class. I am not a huge advocate for cook either, I've watched every snap he took this past year and half of his games from the previous year (I beleive he looked better in 2015 then 2016) and I don't come awestruck by him. However I will not deny the kid has a ton of talent and he doesn't break the school records he did by not being very good. From the players you have listed the only 2 I would really rather have is Derek Barnett and Reubon Foster. I would be very excited to see Barnett and Maggit (Old teammates) play together and see them gel. I also think foster could be a cornerstone for our linebacker corps for years. I don't think we could go wrong with either of the 3. I'm not big on taking any OL especially in the first 3-4 rounds. We invested heavily last year and as long as health stays good and they continue to develop we could be in very good shape for years too come.

To the point of not wanting to take a running back because it's so deep, well that's the same with edge lb and CB this year. It's going to be a very hard draft to NOT find talent.

3 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Barnett pops on tape. Projected as a top-10 player by National mock drafts.

I'm just gonna disagree if you think Humphrey and Teez are better cover corners than Sydney lol. Humphrey is known for being a big hitter and Teez excels in zone. Sydney and Wilson are very good man corners. ?

And Tim a "burn out"? What does that even mean? The dude loves Football and got pressure on 26% of his rushes compared to the ncaa average of 10%.

It probably varries from person to person, but I'm seeing Derek drop in mock drafts to the mid 20s. He's just not very explosive slow get off, does not bend at the waist well, and really only has that rip and dip and that's it. Did you see him try to spin a couple times this year on tape? Omg I was laughing at him. That's totally fine that we disagree on corners, teez does play off much better then press so he's not ideal for us anyways, Wilson we agree on. Humphrey and white tho, to me are just much more complete corners then Jones. Humphrey can hit sure, he also as great hips, maybe the best press in the draft, and is very instinctual runs routes for the WR. He needs work playing the deep ball but to me is still the better option. I can't deny Tim Williams talent, and before I heard about all his off feild stuff I would've loved the pick. But after Randy Gregory even tho he did fall to the late 2nd, a guy with Tims "problem" is not going top 15. I'm not judging me and Tim would probably be good friends if you know what I mean, but we can't risk that in this draft.

7 minutes ago, I'm mad, bro said:

It probably varries from person to person, but I'm seeing Derek drop in mock drafts to the mid 20s. He's just not very explosive slow get off, does not bend at the waist well, and really only has that rip and dip and that's it. Did you see him try to spin a couple times this year on tape? Omg I was laughing at him. That's totally fine that we disagree on corners, teez does play off much better then press so he's not ideal for us anyways, Wilson we agree on. Humphrey and white tho, to me are just much more complete corners then Jones. Humphrey can hit sure, he also as great hips, maybe the best press in the draft, and is very instinctual runs routes for the WR. He needs work playing the deep ball but to me is still the better option. I can't deny Tim Williams talent, and before I heard about all his off feild stuff I would've loved the pick. But after Randy Gregory even tho he did fall to the late 2nd, a guy with Tims "problem" is not going top 15. I'm not judging me and Tim would probably be good friends if you know what I mean, but we can't risk that in this draft.

What? No bend?

Go to 2:15 , literally can't bend the body anymore. Go ahead and watch the whole thing actually lol.

I like White too, almost as much as Jones. Don't dislike Humphrey. 

And ah the old randy gregory comparison. Worst laziest comparison out right now tbh. Gregory on record failed drug tests, knew he would be tested at the combine, and still continued to fail a test there. Had character concerns in college.

Tim got caught with a small amount of bud in september, no failed tests on record, and has great character. So unless he fails a drug test at the combine, that's not at comparison. Like at all.

12 minutes ago, twfish said:

This is a very deep class in our positions of need (Edge, CB, LB and RB). So much so that this is one of very very few drafts I would be okay trading a future pick for one this year because there has been a very good run on talent the last couple years and it's only a matter of time before we get another bad draft class. I am not a huge advocate for cook either, I've watched every snap he took this past year and half of his games from the previous year (I beleive he looked better in 2015 then 2016) and I don't come awestruck by him. However I will not deny the kid has a ton of talent and he doesn't break the school records he did by not being very good. From the players you have listed the only 2 I would really rather have is Derek Barnett and Reubon Foster. I would be very excited to see Barnett and Maggit (Old teammates) play together and see them gel. I also think foster could be a cornerstone for our linebacker corps for years. I don't think we could go wrong with either of the 3. I'm not big on taking any OL especially in the first 3-4 rounds. We invested heavily last year and as long as health stays good and they continue to develop we could be in very good shape for years too come.

To the point of not wanting to take a running back because it's so deep, well that's the same with edge lb and CB this year. It's going to be a very hard draft to NOT find talent.

I don't see us finding Barnett/Williams/Mckinnley talent in the later rounds. Also think Sydney and Marshon are on their own level too.

So yeah I'd rather get a decent halfback in the 3rd/4th.

13 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

What? No bend?

Go to 2:15 , literally can't bend the body anymore. Go ahead and watch the whole thing actually lol.

I like White too, almost as much as Jones. Don't dislike Humphrey. 

And ah the old randy gregory comparison. Worst laziest comparison out right now tbh. Gregory on record failed drug tests, knew he would be tested at the combine, and still continued to fail a test there. Had character concerns in college.

Tim got caught with a small amount of bud in september, no failed tests on record, and has great character. So unless he fails a drug test at the combine, that's not at comparison. Like at all.

haha first off I love me some Voch so I've already seen most of the video didn't watch the whole thing cuz he's a boring prospect. I watched that one play and the first thing that came to mind, dam he's slow. He gave him a little studder that slowed him down even more, then gives the "immaculate bend" haha he almost fell flat on his face. Over ran the QB by 5 yards, and ultimately did nothing on the play. I know your trying to illustrate his bend, but I'm not buying it that's not that impressive. And about Tim Williams, I've read reports that its multiple drug tests he's failed during his tenure at Bama, guys like you are saying its just the 1 time he got caught with bud on top of the gun charge. I dont know whos right and dont care that much, still not worth taking day 1, day 2 if he was still there and interviews well then cool

3 minutes ago, I'm mad, bro said:

haha first off I love me some Voch so I've already seen most of the video didn't watch the whole thing cuz he's a boring prospect. I watched that one play and the first thing that came to mind, dam he's slow. He gave him a little studder that slowed him down even more, then gives the "immaculate bend" haha he almost fell flat on his face. Over ran the QB by 5 yards, and ultimately did nothing on the play. I know your trying to illustrate his bend, but I'm not buying it that's not that impressive. And about Tim Williams, I've read reports that its multiple drug tests he's failed during his tenure at Bama, guys like you are saying its just the 1 time he got caught with bud on top of the gun charge. I dont know whos right and dont care that much, still not worth taking day 1, day 2 if he was still there and interviews well then cool

We just disagree on Barnett. But it's cool because we disagree on a lot of guys haha.

And if betting was allowed on this forum I'd put money on Tim going day 1 (barring a failed test at the combine)

19 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I don't see us finding Barnett/Williams/Mckinnley talent in the later rounds. Also think Sydney and Marshon are on their own level too.

So yeah I'd rather get a decent halfback in the 3rd/4th.

I also don't see us finding a back on the level of cooks and fournette in the later round.... I'm not big on Mckinney, I definitely don't see him as a better talent then cook. I want who ever we take to be hands down better than cook and not too pick someone just because we need that position. It's not a good way too draft.

29 minutes ago, I'm mad, bro said:

You haven't watched Barnett if that's your opinion of him. 

Barnett has good to excellent bend, a quick first step that he can convert into power, and plays with max effort every snap. He's a stud. 

Another positive quality that gets overlooked is the angle he takes to the QB. He hardly ever gets pushed past the QB and understands the arc he needs to take to have a chance for a sack. This is an issue I have with Williams. If he doesn't  fly past the tackle right at the snap he will often get pushed down field away from the QB. 

2 minutes ago, twfish said:

I also don't see us finding a back on the level of cooks and fournette in the later round.... I'm not big on Mckinney, I definitely don't see him as a better talent then cook. I want who ever we take to be hands down better than cook and not too pick someone just because we need that position. It's not a good way too draft.

That's you, plenty of people see Joe Mixon being the best back. And someone like Kareem Hunt could be a star next year. There is good rb talent in the later rounds, there won't be a Barnett, Williams or Mckinnley though. 

37 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

That's you, plenty of people see Joe Mixon being the best back. And someone like Kareem Hunt could be a star next year. There is good rb talent in the later rounds, there won't be a Barnett, Williams or Mckinnley though. 

It's definitely not just me... I'm pretty well in the majority. Neither of the 2 backs are running the risk of not being drafted like mixon is (I'm a huge mixon fan by the way). 

38 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

lmao 34-6

Really liking the poll results my sirs and ladies.

Well duh, you stacked it to be in your favor. If it would have been Takk vs Cook you'd probably get a diffrent result.. your really having a big fit over this whole possible running back in a first..

3 minutes ago, twfish said:

It's definitely not just me... I'm pretty well in the majority. Neither of the 2 backs are running the risk of not being drafted like mixon is (I'm a huge mixon fan by the way). 

Well duh, you stacked it to be in your favor. If it would have been Takk vs Cook you'd probably get a diffrent result.. your really having a big fit over this whole possible running back in a first..

Because it won't be just Takk there... 

And I don't see a big fit anywhere... just conversations and debates...

2 hours ago, SP_21 said:

You haven't watched Barnett if that's your opinion of him. 

Barnett has good to excellent bend, a quick first step that he can convert into power, and plays with max effort every snap. He's a stud. 

Another positive quality that gets overlooked is the angle he takes to the QB. He hardly ever gets pushed past the QB and understands the arc he needs to take to have a chance for a sack. This is an issue I have with Williams. If he doesn't  fly past the tackle right at the snap he will often get pushed down field away from the QB. 

Seen every game of 2016. His bend is super suspect he's flashed it but is usually off balance and or running past the QB. His first step doesn't impress me at all, there are a lot of guy with more explosion. He doesn't play with power as much as I'd like he tries to be a 290 pound finesse guy. Effort is not something he plays with consistently, in the bowl game his hair was on fire, in most games he won't even chase down a run play opposite side. Your last point is my biggest problem with him, he takes terrible angles! Especially in the run game, he gives up contain or will give up a cut back lane from poor angles. 

2 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

We just disagree on Barnett. But it's cool because we disagree on a lot of guys haha.

And if betting was allowed on this forum I'd put money on Tim going day 1 (barring a failed test at the combine)

That we do my good man!! And Mmmmm that's good action I would've gotten in on that bet. 

3 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

You eating crow will be fine too ;)  can't forget you said Jarrad Davis will only be a "2 down thumper" lol

And im sticking by that til he proves me wrong my boiii!! I never forgot it, you missing the part where you wanted him 14/15 tho homie its all good I'll inform the ppl(: