Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Expects To Be Cleared By Doctors To Play Football

BleedingBlue

The title says that Peyton expects to be cleared to play football, but the OP provided no evidence to support:

1) the timing of when such clearance is expected to be given.

2) whether or not such clearance will be given.

If true, all it claims is that Peyton expects it.

He is throwing and working out now... in the Colt complex.....

The writing is on the wall...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, you bring up an interesting thought.

I've heard that we can't restructure manning's contract due to a league rule not allowing more than 1 contract/year.

The ramifications of Manning retiring or going to another team might change the NFL's view on this.

However, why would Manning and Condon allow for a lower pay contract given the circumstances? I feel that would be warranted , but i'm not manning or Condon.

You heard correctly.

I doubt the NFL will change their rules for one player.

I don't see Manning/Condon agreeing to delay the option exercise date, because it is in this league year (similar to fiscal year, LY 2011-2012) ending March 11, 2012.

I also don't see Manning/Condon agreeing to take less compensation in any new contract in the next LY, which will be hard to structure once you have already paid the option bonus of $28MM in LY 2011-2012.

He is throwing and working out now... in the Colt complex.....

The writing is on the wall...

Hmmm. Forgive me for not being able to decipher the writing on the wall.

How do you get from ...Peyton is throwing and working out now in the Colt complex to.........medical clearance to play football is now expected?

What details do you know that connects these dots?

If I had 3 knee surgeries, and you heard that I was jogging and working out now in the gym, does this mean you think I am going to get medical clearance to run in a track meet?

How do you get from ...Peyton is throwing and working out now in the Colt complex to.........medical clearance to play football is now expected?

If I had 3 knee surgeries, and you heard that I was jogging and working out now in the gym, does this mean you think I am going to get medical clearance to run in a track meet?

I hope this is true, but I'd have alot more confidence if an "unbiased" party witnesses him throwing, etc.

If he really was doing that, it would be in his best interest for the team and other teams to see that. Theres no reason to hide it. That is what mainly concerns me.

Until then, it doesn't mean much.

It could just be a smokescreen to get everyone "off his back" during SB week.

All things considered, I think I'd take the chance on the unproven HEALTHY rookie (who is rated better than PM was coming out) than a 14 year vet with a VERY big question mark. (even if it is PM)

I'm still holding out that both will be on the team next year.

I hope this is true, but I'd have alot more confidence if an "unbiased" party witnesses him throwing, etc.

If he really was doing that, it would be in his best interest for the team and other teams to see that. Theres no reason to hide it. That is what mainly concerns me.

Until then, it doesn't mean much.

It could just be a smokescreen to get everyone "off his back" during SB week.

All things considered, I think I'd take the chance on the unproven HEALTHY rookie (who is rated better than PM was coming out) than a 14 year vet with a VERY big question mark. (even if it is PM)

I'm still holding out that both will be on the team next year.

Bingo. I would be happy if an objective observer can tell me he can throw 40 yards with NFL velocity. That's the kind of detail I am looking for. If this was true, I would expect videos leaked to the internet. It only ups his value, and forces Irsay's decision.

But there are no details. Just vague generalities that can be interpreted several ways, much like the pablum fed to us by politicians.

I'd say that is wishful thinking... Those that support whatever the decision is will gloat about it. Those that are against it will complain. We will have a better idea of what direction we are headed, but that might be about it.

I won't gloat if they keep Peyton Manning and trade the pick, I'll be very happy... not sure what your statement means?

Bingo. I would be happy if an objective observer can tell me he can throw 40 yards with NFL velocity. That's the kind of detail I am looking for. If this was true, I would expect videos leaked to the internet. It only ups his value, and forces Irsay's decision.

But there are no details. Just vague generalities that can be interpreted several ways, much like the pablum fed to us by politicians.

You expect a private rehab session with Manning to get leaked online?

I won't gloat if they keep Peyton Manning and trade the pick, I'll be very happy... not sure what your statement means?

I'm just saying that whatever does happen, some will be happy with the choice, some won't.

If your Keep 18 & trade the pick happens, some will view that as throwing away what could be best for the future for 4-5 years and on the other hand if we release 18 for an unproven question mark, some are going to be bitter about that as well.

So to me the positive will be that we will have an idea of what direction we are headed, but it's not going to be some magic pill that makes both camps happy.

So you want Irsay to throw all his chips in on assuming Manning will be ready to go without any reassurance?

Now THAT would be foolish.

I get it that you can't let go of manning. That fine. But I feel you are letting emotion cloud you sense of reality. (or what appears to be reality)

I'm starting to wonder if you are just trolling. I have no way of knowing, but you kinda sound like our banned "buddy" ChinaDoll. he had the same hard-nosed one-sided tone.

please.dont compare me to.china.doll.

That is an insult.

Welcome to Forums. Its where people share their opinions. The goal is mainly not to get a diaper rash when someone expresses one. You my friend need to not take things personally and try not to attack others. If I made a global comment about "so called fans" and you think you fell into that category then so be it. Don't accuse me of being a troll without looking at my posts.

I've been a Colts fan for over 3 decades. I have sat through plenty of 2 win seasons. Plenty enough to make my thoughts be known on these boards..I am also a Peyton Manning fan...are you not a fan of Peyton Manning? 28 Million dollars isn't going to cripple this team and in fact having both PM and AL is better than having either one OR the other. How can anyone thing we would be better off without Peyton Manning..LOL.

If PM is anything less than 100% he will not play, because that is how he is. Proof is in the way he structured his contract.

I'd rather have PM and AL than either of the two with Dan O. but then again, that is just my opinion.

Okay, using your own inimitable logic, I will put it this way:

keeping manning puts us in worse shape than we are already in. How do you all not see this?!?

I'll humor you all....with scenarios....

So we keep manning (LOL at the thought) and we somehow manage to avoid God's wrath.... he is decent, but may not be his old self, and he gets hurt behind our spotty OL...

Enter Dan O?

Or We cut Manning, avoid God's wrath and Luck ends up being great, even behind our spotty OL. Luck ends up after two season with a playoff appearance, but in the last regular season game we were so far ahead, that the HC pulled him and

Enter Dan O?

You see, I can make up stories just as well as you can.

heres a better story.

We keep both the greatest QB ever to play and the best draft pick in a decade. One grows under the others mentoring. If PM can't be as good as he had hoped he would be, then we have a promising backup before Dan O. I by the way am a big Dan O fan and thought he should have been our Day 1 starter.

Yes, we know the financial impact that Peyton will have on the salary cap because we know the details of his contract that is currently in force.

Speculating if he will renegotiate a new contract that will make the Colt's salary cap look better, while being also acceptable to both the NFL and the NFLPA is speculation, and we will not know the details to formulate the impact on the salary cap, until such a deal is done, if it can be done.

IF IT CAN BE DONE?! the NFLPA doesnt negotiate contracts, Peyton/his agent/Irsay/GM do. Why couldnt it be done? if he is released, he can sign any contract he likes, even if its the vet minimum, and the NFLPA cant say anything about it. At this point in his career, i would guess that Peyton is more concerned with what makes himself happy than he is about what the NFLPA thinks.

So for you to say that we either keep him by paying him March 8, or he will be with another team, is just as much "speculation" as me saying that we could not pick up the option, then renegotiate a new contract.

I'm just saying that whatever does happen, some will be happy with the choice, some won't.

If your Keep 18 & trade the pick happens, some will view that as throwing away what could be best for the future for 4-5 years and on the other hand if we release 18 for an unproven question mark, some are going to be bitter about that as well.

So to me the positive will be that we will have an idea of what direction we are headed, but it's not going to be some magic pill that makes both camps happy.

I agree.

I just want a decision made so we CAN move on.

Sometimes even bad news is better than no news.

IF IT CAN BE DONE?! the NFLPA doesnt negotiate contracts, Peyton/his agent/Irsay/GM do. Why couldnt it be done? if he is released, he can sign any contract he likes, even if its the vet minimum, and the NFLPA cant say anything about it. At this point in his career, i would guess that Peyton is more concerned with what makes himself happy than he is about what the NFLPA thinks.

So for you to say that we either keep him by paying him March 8, or he will be with another team, is just as much "speculation" as me saying that we could not pick up the option, then renegotiate a new contract.

The NFL is a cartel, and operates under the CBA. As such, the NFLPA has a say on any renegotiated agreements that it may view as detrimental to their cause, especially the interests of those veteran QBs who will be negotiating deals with other teams. If this was a free market, you would not have rookie or vet minimums, would you? In addition, you would have no such thing as franchise tags either, or compensatory picks.

You are allowed your opinion of what Peyton may or may not accept. I am sure Mr, Condon will advise Peyton, as his agent should.

You are mistaken. Nowhere have I said that the Colts either keep him or he will be with another team. I have merely pointed out the consequences of paying the option bonus and its effects on the salary cap under the current contract.

We keep both the greatest QB ever to play and the best draft pick in a decade. One grows under the others mentoring. If PM can't be as good as he had hoped he would be, then we have a promising backup before Dan O. I by the way am a big Dan O fan and thought he should have been our Day 1 starter.

How do you propose we deal with the salary cap under this scenario?

Having both Peyton under the current contract and Luck plus a #3QB will result in a 19-20% allocation of the total cap to the QB position, assuming Peyton plays out his contract. If he is cut or retires before the 2015 season, there will be an additional cap hit.

Having 20% of the total salary cap allocated to the QB position will severely limit the flexibility you have to go after FAs and sign rookies.

Blue,

I've been VERY careful NOT to attack you.

We agree that BOTH PM and AL is best for the team. (maybe not financially)

I HAVEN't taken any of your comments personally. I do respect your opinion.

my problem has been your certainty that PM will be able to play. Thats simply not true.

We WILL be better off without manning if we foolishly pay him mega $ without any reassurance he can play. Him "throwing" and "working out" is nowhere near a reassurance.

I too am a fan of Peyton manning. As I was of Bert Jones, Lydell Mitchell, Jim Harbaugh, etc, etc. But I'm MORE a fan of the Colts that ANY 1 player.

I too have been a Colts fan for over 30 years(actually over 40...sheesh, where has the time gone?)

Players come and go. But its the TEAM that goes on.

Manning is my favorite Colts player of all time. But i still place the Colts team over him.

I want what is best for the long-term "health" of the Colts. And assuming manning will be healthy is not whats best.

If Manning isn't "ready" by the time the 28M is due, I'm still ok with paying him even tho it might bite the team in the butt.

My point has been, whether or not he's "healthy", I still think we need to take a QB 1st overall (Luck I think) to insure the best "health' of the team for the next decade.

The opportunity is just too important, IMO.

I'm fine with the thought of you not agreeing because none of us knows the future. But this opportunity is just to big to ignore.

After all, even if manning is 100%, we're gonna need the "next QB" pretty darn soon. REAL soon.

And I like this scenario (that you stated) the best:

"We keep both the greatest QB ever to play and the best draft pick in a decade. One grows under the others mentoring. If PM can't be as good as he had hoped he would be, then we have a promising backup."

Whoa, back up the wagon.. chinadoll, aka my beautifulchinesedoll.. aka wahtever else was banned? Like for good? Humm.. sorry to steal the thread.

I think he was. I'm sure i was told that.

He really pushed the envelope and always seemed to be in arguments with everyone.

Maybe he's here under a new name.

Although I do remember him going "fishing in virgin waters" in "the lost world".

I'm not sure theres any escape from "the lost world".

I think he was. I'm sure i was told that.

He really pushed the envelope and always seemed to be in arguments with everyone.

Maybe he's here under a new name.

Although I do remember him going "fishing in virgin waters" in "the lost world".

I'm not sure theres any escape from "the lost world".

lmao seriuosly busting a gut.

lmao seriuosly busting a gut.

I just hope he wasn't sent over there to China by our government to foster good relations between our countries.

If so, we could all be in BIG trouble.

And evidently they've never heard of fishing poles over there if he managed to find (as he said) "virgin waters that have never been fished".

wool, I appreciate the post..

figuring out the cap is not my forte.

I can only go with what Irsay said a couple of months ago. Obviously I'm paraphrasing ....Its not about money. We can afford both. I'd like to do what GB did with Favre and Rodgers.

If you remember the analysts spin at the time (and I even agreed) was that will AL want to sit behind PM. Now they have PM cut and signing with the 49ers. I'm just trying to reel everyone back to the facts. Am I speculating that PM will play again? No, because PM himself said it on national tv today. I personally never had any doubt since December that he would be back. Just not by March 8th. I can't see Irsay cutting him just to save some cash. Just bad Karma. We all agree on AL being the future.

wool, I appreciate the post..

figuring out the cap is not my forte.

I can only go with what Irsay said a couple of months ago. Obviously I'm paraphrasing ....Its not about money. We can afford both. I'd like to do what GB did with Favre and Rodgers.

If you remember the analysts spin at the time (and I even agreed) was that will AL want to sit behind PM. Now they have PM cut and signing with the 49ers. I'm just trying to reel everyone back to the facts. Am I speculating that PM will play again? No, because PM himself said it on national tv today. I personally never had any doubt since December that he would be back. Just not by March 8th. I can't see Irsay cutting him just to save some cash. Just bad Karma. We all agree on AL being the future.

No prob. But seriously, I wasn't attacking you.

I LIKE different opinions.

Don't get mad, but I've had my doubts about manning coming back since training camp.

I won't go into details, but I was given some info back then on the subject. It doesn't matter what and from who because there is no way to prove it anyway.

And besides , no one knows now, let alone back then.

Hopefully, he'll suddenly heal fast and be able to play. this is my wish.

Keep the faith. SOMEONE has to. haha

Manning is "IN THE COLT COMPLEX 24/7 SINCE 98. " He cannot "do what he could do"

They,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Irsay/Colts football know EXACTLY WHAT THEY WILL DO...

And deep down we all do too,

Since all the "drama" and speculation is about Irsay and PM, then ESPN and NFL Network and everyone else are only guessing at best (some not even an educated guess) about what is going on. But when PM and Irsay speak on the topic at hand it is "straight from the horses mouth" so to speak. Now you can choose who to believe but I think it's obvious who should know the truth of the matter better than anyone else. ME! lol just kidding! And just for the record I would take Peyton at QB even if he was only at 80%. He will retire soon enough and I trust him to make that decision at the proper time. PM is a man of integrity!

I will say, I am glad we have had Manning all these yeasr and what he has meant to this org. Saying that, and at the expense of saying goodbye to possibly the GOAT player a few years early in his career, you just can't give the contract he signed at 80%. If you want to watch quick 5-7 yard slants, flank passes, dump off to the RB or wr bubble screens the rest of his career, you don't cripple the team for 3-4 more years just to keep a hold of the past. Now, if he can zip the ball as he once did on 20-30 yard patterns but unable to hit that 50 yard deep pass, I would change my mind because of his smarts and what he would bring to the team overall being here and playing.

Many QB's have played with a noodle arm over the years and succeeded to a degree. I don't think Trent Dilfer had a rocket arm and he won a SB, albeit he had the best defense since the chicago bears 85 team sooooo.... Its just such a tough call here because of who the player is and what he has meant to this team but you also have to look at the business model and decide whats your best calculated move to make the organization a continued great product for another 13 years and not just the next one.

Since all the "drama" and speculation is about Irsay and PM, then ESPN and NFL Network and everyone else are only guessing at best (some not even an educated guess) about what is going on. But when PM and Irsay speak on the topic at hand it is "straight from the horses mouth" so to speak. Now you can choose who to believe but I think it's obvious who should know the truth of the matter better than anyone else. ME! lol just kidding! And just for the record I would take Peyton at QB even if he was only at 80%. He will retire soon enough and I trust him to make that decision at the proper time. PM is a man of integrity!

I will say, I am glad we have had Manning all these yeasr and what he has meant to this org. Saying that, and at the expense of saying goodbye to possibly the GOAT player a few years early in his career, you just can't give the contract he signed at 80%. If you want to watch quick 5-7 yard slants, flank passes, dump off to the RB or wr bubble screens the rest of his career, you don't cripple the team for 3-4 more years just to keep a hold of the past. Now, if he can zip the ball as he once did on 20-30 yard patterns but unable to hit that 50 yard deep pass, I would change my mind because of his smarts and what he would bring to the team overall being here and playing.

Many QB's have played with a noodle arm over the years and succeeded to a degree. I don't think Trent Dilfer had a rocket arm and he won a SB, albeit he had the best defense since the chicago bears 85 team sooooo.... Its just such a tough call here because of who the player is and what he has meant to this team but you also have to look at the business model and decide whats your best calculated move to make the organization a continued great product for another 13 years and not just the next one.

The NFL is a cartel, and operates under the CBA. As such, the NFLPA has a say on any renegotiated agreements that it may view as detrimental to their cause, especially the interests of those veteran QBs who will be negotiating deals with other teams. If this was a free market, you would not have rookie or vet minimums, would you? In addition, you would have no such thing as franchise tags either, or compensatory picks.

You are allowed your opinion of what Peyton may or may not accept. I am sure Mr, Condon will advise Peyton, as his agent should.

You are mistaken. Nowhere have I said that the Colts either keep him or he will be with another team. I have merely pointed out the consequences of paying the option bonus and its effects on the salary cap under the current contract.

the CBA may have a small say in renegotiated contracts...but if we dont pay the option on march 8th we wont be "renegotiating" an existing contract, it would be a completely NEW contract...of which he is free to sign/do whatever he wants...and he's mentioned multiple times that he's made it clear how much he wants to play his entire career for the Colts

I just hope he wasn't sent over there to China by our government to foster good relations between our countries.

If so, we could all be in BIG trouble.

And evidently they've never heard of fishing poles over there if he managed to find (as he said) "virgin waters that have never been fished".

So your saying there could be, "Big Trouble" in little China? BadaBing! Thank you, here all week!

the CBA may have a small say in renegotiated contracts...but if we dont pay the option on march 8th we wont be "renegotiating" an existing contract, it would be a completely NEW contract...of which he is free to sign/do whatever he wants...and he's mentioned multiple times that he's made it clear how much he wants to play his entire career for the Colts

If you cut Peyton before theMarch 8 option bonus due date, you are making him a FA.

When that happens, with what do you think Mr. Condon will advise Peyton?

1) Let's go entertain different FA offers from different teams, or

2) Let's now negotiate a new contract with the Colts so that you will make less money than the old contract they just terminated.

If you cut Peyton before theMarch 8 option bonus due date, you are making him a FA.

When that happens, with what do you think Mr. Condon will advise Peyton?

1) Let's go entertain different FA offers from different teams, or

2) Let's now negotiate a new contract with the Colts so that you will make less money than the old contract they just terminated.

and last year when MR Condon was dragging his feet on a deal, Peyton stepped in and about a day later we had a new contract...one where he ASKED several times for LESS money...but Irsay refused to pay him less than Brady was making, so thats the # they settled on.

Thats pretty much the exact opposite of what you say can/will happen...but the thing is, what YOU think is just your opinion...what actually happened is a fact

Any and all doctors that will issue a "Go" or greenlight for Manning to play will insist he sign a document releasing them of all responsibilty should he get injured. This is a fact.

If that is true, the medical clearance to play NFL football is as worthless as the paper it is written on.

What's more, it counters the opinions that have been previously given, that Peyton is in no additional risk of being injured than a player that did not go through 3 neck surgeries, unless all medical clearances to play NFL football come with the same liability waiver.