Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on Derek Barnett?

Barnett has a really good year,  so it's hard to see him falling to us at 14/15.

Earlier in the year it looked like he might be there when we pick.     I don't think it's true anymore.

So,  I'd love to get him,   but I don't see it as realistic at this point.

Of course,  it's early January and things will change a lot over the next 4 months.....

A lot of people have mentioned that he fits better as a 4-3 end than a 3-4 outside backer. Anyone who has watched him play and feels that way, why would that be?

I'm genuinely curious because I have a hard time telling those guys apart a lot of the time.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

It would be tremendously foolish to not draft him if he is available. Depending on the combine and how the other players look where we might pick, I might be inclined to give up a 3rd to move a few spots to get him.

Quoting my self here.  If we are at 14 and he's sitting there at 10, I might give up a 3rd to go get him.

Think I'd rather have Charles Harris.  He's more of the pure pass rusher to me.

Barnett kind of reminds me of Fowler a little bit.  Takarist Mckinley seems like another one that could be good.  Like the fact that his coach is Jim Mora Jr so I'm sure he's been given the type of coaching that should translate to the NFL.   Think I'd prefer both of them over Barnett.

8 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I don't even think he will be avaliable after his bowl game performance. The dude is good has been since his freshman year breaks up passes in coverage and even has an int and he plays in the SEC

Yup, he broke Reggie Whites sack record at UT. 

He's only a junior and broke the all time sack record at TN.  Did you watch him play against Nebraska?  He was unstoppable.  Quit nit picking this guy.  He broke Reggie White's all time sack record!!  LOL - there is no edge rusher I would take over him in this years draft.  What else have the other edge rushers in this draft proven that he hasn't when it comes to getting to the QB.  We need sack machines.  End of story.  We can only pray we can get him in the 1st and Tim Williams falls to us in the 2nd due to character issues.  I keep hearing Barnett doesn't have speed.  He looks fast enough to me and has an arsenal of moves to get past OT's very quickly.  I'll take pro bowl caliber rush moves over marginally better straight line speed any day.

7 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I wonder if he has the speed and burst to be an elite pass rusher. He has the tools to be a good all around DE, and I wouldn't be upset if Indy drafted him. I just think if we are looking for a speed pass rusher, there are better ones out there.

Agreed for now.  Teams have to through their process of due diligence.  Different information might be available after the combine and pro day, but based upon his production, I think he's the guy for the Colts.

I dont think he's all that fast speed wise but after watching a couple more times hes got outstanding functional strength amongst other things. I wouldn't be mad with the pick. He bowls people over. I had or have a bit of a bias against him speed wise but hes got his own swag.

Something that I wonder about with this being a good pass rushing draft is that it's also a weak OT class. Last year was a "deep" OT class but weak in pass rusher. I wonder if they are connected.

26 minutes ago, KB said:

Something that I wonder about with this being a good pass rushing draft is that it's also a weak OT class. Last year was a "deep" OT class but weak in pass rusher. I wonder if they are connected.

I think these last 2 drafts could work perfectly for the Colts....last year O line was a huge need...so they draft heavily on O line and that's looking like it could have worked.

This year pass rush and D is a huge need and this year happens to be deep in that. Just have to wait and see how they draft. If it's the equivalent to how they did for the O line then they could be set for a while.

Colts have absolutely no excuse for not coming out of this draft with at least 2 really good pass rushers.  There's a number of pretty good prospects this year.  Pick up Melvin Ingram or somebody else good in FA and snag two more in the draft.   I don't want to hear nothing about no one was available.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Colts have absolutely no excuse for not coming out of this draft with at least 2 really good pass rushers.  There's a number of pretty good prospects this year.  Pick up Melvin Ingram or somebody else good in FA and snag two more in the draft.   I don't want to hear nothing about no one was available.

The only thing I would say against getting two in the draft and one in FA is that we don't have that many spots. Walden is likely to be resigned and ayers is under contract and should be kept for depth. Usually we keep 5 spots on the roster open for OLB with 2 or 3 being used for special teams. Walden one, fa two, drafted good pass rusher three, drafted good pass rusher four (special teams), ayers five (special teams spot but he's not a special teams player). The numbers don't add up to do that. If we do get three this offseason then one is going to be only a camp body and a good pass rusher shouldn't be relegated to special teams u less they're a project like Mathis was way back when. Not to mention Maggitt is most likely coming back. Could be let go after training camp but could also developed enough to keep around.

I would say either get two in the draft. One high round and one low round, or get a good FA (good luck with that) and a high to mid rounder to form.

16 minutes ago, KB said:

The only thing I would say against getting two in the draft and one in FA is that we don't have that many spots. Walden is likely to be resigned and ayers is under contract and should be kept for depth. Usually we keep 5 spots on the roster open for OLB with 2 or 3 being used for special teams. Walden one, fa two, drafted good pass rusher three, drafted good pass rusher four (special teams), ayers five (special teams spot but he's not a special teams player). The numbers don't add up to do that. If we do get three this offseason then one is going to be only a camp body and a good pass rusher shouldn't be relegated to special teams u less they're a project like Mathis was way back when. Not to mention Maggitt is most likely coming back. Could be let go after training camp but could also developed enough to keep around.

I would say either get two in the draft. One high round and one low round, or get a good FA (good luck with that) and a high to mid rounder to form.

I think they will take the route that gives us two young guns from the draft and one FA.   Same way we loaded up on OL last year, we need to load up on OLB this year.   We need DB too.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think they will take the route that gives us two young guns from the draft and one FA.   Same way we loaded up on OL last year, we need to load up on OLB this year.   We need DB too.

We'll we need at least one new body at every spot on defense. I wouldn't mind getting at least one person at each position due to the fact this class is loaded on defense. Getting multiple of any would take away from another spot. I could see us getting 2 olb and skipping safety later but it wouldn't be a good olb. But if we get those two and a fa then one is gonna be a wasted pick due to not having room on the roster

19 minutes ago, KB said:

We'll we need at least one new body at every spot on defense. I wouldn't mind getting at least one person at each position due to the fact this class is loaded on defense. Getting multiple of any would take away from another spot. I could see us getting 2 olb and skipping safety later but it wouldn't be a good olb. But if we get those two and a fa then one is gonna be a wasted pick due to not having room on the roster

In my eyes I see Walden, Ayers, 2 Draft picks OLB. and a FA. That's your 5 unless I'm missing something.  I'll rethink it though.

Should be I think 5-6 other picks to deal with other spots.  I'm mainly concerned about making the front 7 more stout and talent filled.  I'd probably spend 2 of those on DL maybe.

You're right with the numbers. I see maggitt coming back. Maybe he gets injured again though. He was a decent special teamer who could really blossom. And if we spend a 1 on pass rush then maybe we should get another ayers type of fa. Nothing great but solid depth since a first round is usually a starter u less you have great starters already there and are looking for great depth. 

Just now, KB said:

You're right with the numbers. I see maggitt coming back. Maybe he gets injured again though. He was a decent special teamer who could really blossom. And if we spend a 1 on pass rush then maybe we should get another ayers type of fa. Nothing great but solid depth since a first round is usually a starter u less you have great starters already there and are looking for great depth. 

I don't think anything is special about Maggitt.  I'd probably let him ride out, but that's me.

33 minutes ago, KB said:

I think if you draft them high the expectation is to be a starter but that doesn't necessarily mean they have to be that right away.  They can rotate in and out as a group and you increase or maintain things from there.  Walden will be leaving soon anyway.  Not like he'll be here that long.  They can learn from Walden and Ayers while getting significant playing time.  There's going to be an adjustment period.  Plus injury bug forces playing time in a lot of cases.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think if you draft them high the expectation is to be a starter but that doesn't necessarily mean they have to be that right away.  They can rotate in and out as a group and you increase or maintain things from there.  Walden will be leaving soon anyway.  Not like he'll be here that long.  They can learn from Walden and Ayers while getting significant playing time.  There's going to be an adjustment period.  Plus injury bug forces playing time in a lot of cases.

especially with this team it seems lol

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I agree Krunk. Colts have got to fix the pass rush badly.

8 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I agree Krunk. Colts have got to fix the pass rush badly.

Thing that has teed me off the most is Grigs has spoken about the importance of pass rushers multiple times.  Yet we never have anybody that can other than Mathis.  And we don't even have Mathis anymore so cupboard is really bare.  That needs to end with this draft and FA period.   Let's load up!

If you have 2 pass rushers get 3. If you have 4 get 5 is what he said.  Yet we have Zero!

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

Thing that has teed me off the most is Grigs has spoken about the importance of pass rushers multiple times.  Yet we never have anybody that can other than Mathis.  And we don't even have Mathis anymore so cupboard is really bare.  That needs to end with this draft and FA period.   Let's load up!

If you have 2 pass rushers get 3. If you have 4 get 5 is what he said.  Yet we have Zero!

Well, hes also talked about the importance of the o line but took over 5 years to fix it. Assuming hes the one drafting this year, hopefully this is the year he goes all out on OLBs

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

Well, hes also talked about the importance of the o line but took over 5 years to fix it. Assuming hes the one drafting this year, hopefully this is the year he goes all out on OLBs

I don't have a problem with Chuck and Ryan for another year unless we can pull a big fish like Saban or Harbaugh which ain't likely.   I sort of believe Jim is looking though.  I belive he was probably mad as hell when Luck got that concussion amongst losing to the damn Texans and Jaguars and missing the playoffs.  I can see why he may be mad.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I don't have a problem with Chuck and Ryan for another year unless we can pull a big fish like Saban or Harbaugh which ain't likely.   I sort of believe Jim is looking though.  I belive he was probably mad as hell when Luck got that concussion amongst losing to the damn Texans and Jaguars and missing the playoffs.  I can see why he may be mad.

Saban and Harbaugh would bring a much needed toughness and nastiness to the Colts I think. I'd be shocked if it happened though, Saban and Harbaugh are pretty much at their dream jobs, would take a lot to pry them away IMO. But we do have a pretty good bargaining chip in Andrew Luck, so who knows? I think almost everybody would love to be his coach.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I am the same way. I want change but only if I think it will benefit the team. That is why I do defend Chuck some. Yeah if we could hire Harbaugh or maybe Gruden then I would be all for it, the whole Peyton thing still intrigues me too regarding maybe a spot in the front office somewhere. Other than that, not sure about other options.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am the same way. I want change but only if I think it will benefit the team. That is why I do defend Chuck some. Yeah if we could hire Harbaugh or maybe Gruden then I would be all for it, the whole Peyton thing still intrigues me too regarding maybe a spot in the front office somewhere. Other than that, not sure about other options.

I also like Harbaugh or Saban because we would stay with the 3-4 defense.  I don't think getting either one of them is real likely but if it happened somehow at least there wouldn't be massive scheme overhaul on defense. I'm scared with Gruden we would switch to a Tampa 2 or something.   But I do remember he had a 3-4 in Oakland I think.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I also like Harbaugh or Saban because we would stay with the 3-4 defense.  I don't think getting either one of them is real likely but if it happened somehow at least there wouldn't be massive scheme overhaul on defense. I'm scared with Gruden we would switch to a Tampa 2 or something.   But I do remember he had a 3-4 in Oakland I think.

Yeah I am still not sold on Saban, His stint in Miami was bothersome but he is an awesome College Coach. Of course he would have Andrew Luck so I could live with that. I doubt he or Harbaugh would leave their College teams though.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah I am still not sold on Saban, His stint in Miami was bothersome but he is an awesome College Coach. Of course he would have Andrew Luck so I could live with that. I doubt he or Harbaugh would leave their College teams though.

I think Saban has a better football mind and runs a structured program.   I have some reservations about how he left Miami yes.   Guy has a really good football mind though to me.