Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jay Kirk Baseball Thread since 2017: The 2021 season, Dodgers Repeat?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We lost 4-3, that strike call on Marisnick was terrible. Jake tomorrow, we will get 2 of 3.

1 hour ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

That was such a bad miss call, not even close to zone. If Masrisnick made more money, he should have argued and trashed him after the at bat

Vision checks before each game should be mandatory for Umps, he was awful the whole game!!!!

Going into today, the Brewers are 12-8, Cubs and Cards are both 10-10. Cubs need to take of the Brewers today, I give them a 70% chance of winning with Jake pitching. Cubs do that, we will be only 1 game back behind the Brewers in the NL Central after the weekend. Cards are taking care of the Reds in their series so far, Reds are now 9-11 and have lost 6 in a row.- OUCH!

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No offense at all today. Jake gives up 1 run and gets the loss. Brewers had a big 9th to put the game away. Here we go again, right when it looks good this happens 200.gif

Arrietta was the only bright spot today, pretty sad display by the others. Ross better figure this team out soon, then the offensive esplosuon the other night and quality pitching from big Jake, this team is very underwhelming. And what’s with MVP consistently being placed in the outfield? They preparing to trade him off/keeping him safe???

19 minutes ago, HOZER said:

Arrietta was the only bright spot today, pretty sad display by the others. Ross better figure this team out soon, then the offensive esplosuon the other night and quality pitching from big Jake, this team is very underwhelming. And what’s with MVP consistently being placed in the outfield? They preparing to trade him off/keeping him safe???

MVP is batting .309 with 5 HR's so far, he is having a good season, nothing outstanding but good. I am not sure what Ross is doing with the lineup everyday? It seems different every day. He is reminding me of Maddon when Maddon was at the end. Not good. The Cubs have a big problem because they don't have that 3rd pitcher than can consistently get wins. A 3rd pitcher you can say, that should be a win and it was most of the time. In 2016 and 2017 we had that with Jake, Lester, and Hendricks. Kimbrel is holding his own in the bullpen like Chapman did in 2016 so he has been a bright point. We can't use him (or I should say we don't use him) though unless we have the lead going into the 9th. 

Cubs lost 8-7 last night to the Braves, like I said win 4 in a row, lose 4 in a row lmao . They have lost 3 in a row now. The one player that the Cubs kept mentioning to trade during the offseason is Kris Bryant and he's been their best player all season. He hit a Grand Slam last night. Right now this team lacks a 3rd starting pitcher that can win consistently as I mentioned the other night. This team doesn't seem to have 'IT' factor anymore either as a unit. Very concerning at 10-12.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs lost 8-7 last night to the Braves, like I said win 4 in a row, lose 4 in a row lmao . They have lost 3 in a row now. The one player that the Cubs kept mentioning to trade during the offseason is Kris Bryant and he's been their best player all season. He hit a Grand Slam last night. Right now this team lacks a 3rd starting pitcher that can win consistently as I mentioned the other night. This team doesn't seem to have 'IT' factor anymore either as a unit. Very concerning at 10-12.

Bryant sitting today to rest from a Bicep issue, and Javy out with Hamstring Tightness. Davies need to get his crap figured out.

On other hand, finally made it to my first baseball game since 19 last night and saw Rhys Hoskins of Phillies hit 2HRs as the only offense by the Phillies. Cardinals had 2 hits and one run that wasnt until bottom of the 9th

7 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Bryant sitting today to rest from a Bicep issue, and Javy out with Hamstring Tightness. Davies need to get his crap figured out.

On other hand, finally made it to my first baseball game since 19 last night and saw Rhys Hoskins of Phillies hit 2HRs as the only offense by the Phillies. Cardinals had 2 hits and one run that wasnt until bottom of the 9th

@NFLfan keeps saying the Mets need a Catcher and Contreras is very good and young, sometimes great. I would see if the Mets are interested in him and maybe a couple of prospects, to spice up the pot throw in David Bote who is good for deGrom. To get deGrom you have to give up a lot so that trade is pretty fair. I love Contreras but adding someone like deGrom would put us back in with the Elite teams. This may be the last possible run at a WS for Bryant, Rizzo, and Baez together so we need to do something.

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

@NFLfan keeps saying the Mets need a Catcher and Contreras is very good and young, sometimes great. I would see if the Mets are interested in him and maybe a couple of prospects, to spice up the pot throw in David Bote who is good for deGrom. To get deGrom you have to give up a lot so that trade is pretty fair. I love Contreras but adding someone like deGrom would put us back in with the Elite teams. This may be the last possible run at a WS for Bryant, Rizzo, and Baez together so we need to do something.

I would not trade for deGrom, not matter how amazing he is, the cost is too much for a shot in the dark. The Cubs will only make playoff run if everything hits right. The second Willy is gone, we have no catcher. Bote, is likely to be KB replacement next year. We do not have the prospects/will not give the prospects up. Plus Mets just signed McCann to that 4 year deal as their starting Catcher. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cubs need to decide if they have one more run at a WS in them with Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Hendricks, and Jake or they don't. If they do then I say trade for a top quality pitcher, if not just clean house and start over.

They pretty much have when they traded Darvish and let Lester and Schwarbs go. Basically the only way they stay together the entire season is if they get really hot. Anything less they will start to trade. Likely if Jake shows still he will be flipped. Hendricks has 3 years left so no reason to sell low.  Bryant is the highest to be traded with how he has played. Rizzo, it will be hard to trade him and the uproar. Baez, we would be selling really low on and he does want to stay in Chicago, and is unlikely to cost less based on his pay last couple years. 

2 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

They pretty much have when they traded Darvish and let Lester and Schwarbs go. Basically the only way they stay together the entire season is if they get really hot. Anything less they will start to trade. Likely if Jake shows still he will be flipped. Hendricks has 3 years left so no reason to sell low.  Bryant is the highest to be traded with how he has played. Rizzo, it will be hard to trade him and the uproar. Baez, we would be selling really low on and he does want to stay in Chicago, and is unlikely to cost less based on his pay last couple years. 

I doubt we trade Rizzo, he may be the most loved Cub of all-time, top 3 anyway lol. I have always thought Bryant was the better player but Rizzo is a better leader and has had his great moments too.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I doubt we trade Rizzo, he may be the most loved Cub of all-time, top 3 anyway lol. I have always thought Bryant was the better player but Rizzo is a better leader and has had his great moments too.

I agree it is highly unlikely we trade him. I am guessing next year will be Willy, Rizzo, Hoerner, Bote, Baez, LF, Happ, Heyward. The only thing maybe could see is moving Willy to LF some of the time if Amaya is ready to come up, since he can play out there. Also, should have a DH

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Lol. There is no trading deGrom now. Sorry. The Mets are not letting go of their best player now. There would be a revolt. 

I like Contreras but he is getting older now. I like trading for players when they are in their early 20s or so. 

7 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I agree it is highly unlikely we trade him. I am guessing next year will be Willy, Rizzo, Hoerner, Bote, Baez, LF, Happ, Heyward. The only thing maybe could see is moving Willy to LF some of the time if Amaya is ready to come up, since he can play out there. Also, should have a DH

When it comes to Bryant and Rizzo, Bryant has lifetime batting AVG of .281, Rizzo is at .270. Bryant is more versatile as well, he can play 3B, RF, or LF. He is faster on the base path's too. Rizzo is Gold Glove material at 1B though and his leadership is off the charts.

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When it comes to Bryant and Rizzo, Bryant has lifetime batting AVG of .281, Rizzo is at .270. Bryant is more versatile as well, he can play 3B, RF, or LF. He is faster on the base path's too. Rizzo is Gold Glove material at 1B though and his leadership is off the charts.

I normally look more at WRC+ to compare just since it includes other factors, I mean AVG, can get screwy just based on if you hit it right at someone hard. 

And I would love to bring Bryzzo back, I have been a believer in Bryant if he is healthy he is top level, it is the injury that knocked him down not him. But I just don't expect him to resign. Everything points to him going to a new team even if not traded sadly, but in FA

11 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I normally look more at WRC+ to compare just since it includes other factors, I mean AVG, can get screwy just based on if you hit it right at someone hard. 

And I would love to bring Bryzzo back, I have been a believer in Bryant if he is healthy he is top level, it is the injury that knocked him down not him. But I just don't expect him to resign. Everything points to him going to a new team even if not traded sadly, but in FA

You may be right, but that is why I say this may be our last run with Bryzzo.

1 hour ago, HOZER said:

Atrocious.

I was thinking of a few other words but can't say them in here, don't want to get banned lmao . 

I think what we have seen since the team won the 2016 WS Championship is being content. That team got the key to the city for breaking a 108 year jinx. I noticed the content a little during the 2017 season but we had enough talent and still a little hunger to defend our title. There were still games that season where would lose like 9-0 and it happened several times. I think the team was just bored with the regular season in 2017 and was waiting on the playoffs. They knew they would win the NL Central that season. They defended their title well, beating the Nats in the NLDS 3-2 and making  the NLCS losing to a great Dodgers team. We haven't won a playoff game since Jake beat the Dodgers in the NLCS in 2017. If we can't make a key trade for an ACE Pitcher, it may be time to clean house and start over. We will always have 2016 with no asterisk behind it so it is what it is. Going by the last 3 decades = all of the 90's, 2000-2009, 2010-2019, and now - that 2016 Cubs team had the 2nd best record of any team that has won a WS at 103-58. Only the 1998 Yankees had a better one at 114-48. The Red Sox were 108-54 in 2018 but have an asterisk next too it.

Being the historian I am if there was an ultimate ALCS and an NLCS from teams I could choose from since the 1990 season upto now, the 2018 Red Sox would not be one of the teams. They cheated, like the 2017 Astros did as well. I would've loved to seen how the back to back WS Champions Blue Jays of 92/93 would've done against the 1998 Yankees for my ALCS. It is rare any team goes back to back and that Blue Jays core did. The Yankees are the last team to repeat, they 3-peated from 1998-2000. 

My ALCS would be the 1998 Yankees vs the 1992 Blue Jays

My NLCS would be the 2016 Cubs vs the 2012 Giants. That Giants core won 3 WS Championships in 5 seasons = 2010, 2012, 2014. 2012 was their best team IMO.

9 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Just got my tickets for the Mariners vs Rangers game in Seattle for May 28. First time going out west!

Awesome!  I've heard great things about the ballpark in Seattle.  I follow the Rangers because former University of Louisville standout Nick Solak is having a big season in Texas.  He was my son's favorite player here at U of L, so we have been following his journey since he was drafted.  He was originally drafted by the Yankees, then part of a 3 team trade that sent him to Tampa Bay.  He was then traded to Texas in exchange for Peter Fairbanks, since the Rays had a surplus of middle infielders on the roster and in the minors.

Solak hit two dingers last night and now has 7 on the season.

Interesting note about University of Louisville baseball - 

Since 2014, they have had more players make their Major League debuts than any other NCAA baseball program with 18.  Current MLB players from U of L include: Solak (Rangers), Will Smith (Dodgers), Chad Green (Yankees), Adam Duvall (Braves), Adam Engel (White Sox), Brendan McKay (Rays).  Corey Ray (Brewers) was up last week for a couple of games and there are several others who are in the minors and working their way up.

This success is the result of their excellent Head Coach - Dan McDonnell:

COACHING HIGHLIGHTS
• 15th Season at Louisville
• Overall Record: 618-244 (.717 winning percentage) in 14 seasons
• Closed 2020 ranked 2nd nationally among active coaches in winning percentage (minimum 5 years)
• Two-time National Coach of the Year (2017 Baseball America, 2007 Rivals)
• Three-Time ACC Coach of the Year (2015, 2016, 2017)
• Cardinals rank 1st nationally in wins (618) from 2007-20
• Five College World Series appearances (2007, 2013, 2014, 2017, 2019)
• 12 NCAA Regional appearances
• 8 NCAA Super Regional appearances
• 10 conference championships (2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019)
• 1 National Player of the Year, 39 All-Americans, 98 all-conference selections, 7 conference Pitchers of the Year, 4 conference Players of the Year & 1 conference Freshman of the Year
• In McDonnell's 14 seasons as head coach, 87 Louisville players have been selected in the MLB Draft with 75 of those signing professional contracts. 

I know this is a long post, but the City of Louisville has a long and storied history in baseball.  Of course, we're the home of the Louisville Slugger, but also the home of Pee Wee Reese, among other former MLB players.  And, over the past 15 years, the college baseball program here is among the best in the country.

Still, most outside of Louisville still associate the Cardinals with basketball and recently Heisman Trophy winner Lamar Jackson.

Okay, you guys can go back to your Cubs baseball chatter...ha, ha.

14 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

Come to St. Louis Bryant.   Come to St. Louis.  

This division is going to be tough all year.  Cardinals are tied with the Pirates for 2nd place.   Cubs are now in the basement but only 4 games out of the division lead.  

Cardinals may struggle for awhile.   Molina just got put on the IL.   He leads the team in BA, RBI's and HR's.  He's also still steller on defense.

Just now, Myles said:

This division is going to be tough all year.  Cardinals are tied with the Pirates for 2nd place.   Cubs are now in the basement but only 4 games out of the division lead.  

Cardinals may struggle for awhile.   Molina just got put on the IL.   He leads the team in BA, RBI's and HR's.  He's also still steller on defense.

If we trade Bryant to the Cards I will do this Animated GIF

Just now, Myles said:

Yes, we'll find a place for Bryant!  We'll trade you Matt Carpenter for Bryant straight up :)

Yadi will be missed...he was having a great start to the year, especially at the plate.

2 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Yes, we'll find a place for Bryant!  We'll trade you Matt Carpenter for Bryant straight up :)

Yadi will be missed...he was having a great start to the year, especially at the plate.

If we give you Bryant, that is like giving you the division haha . He looks great this year so far.

3 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Awesome!  I've heard great things about the ballpark in Seattle.  I follow the Rangers because former University of Louisville standout Nick Solak is having a big season in Texas.  He was my son's favorite player here at U of L, so we have been following his journey since he was drafted.  He was originally drafted by the Yankees, then part of a 3 team trade that sent him to Tampa Bay.  He was then traded to Texas in exchange for Peter Fairbanks, since the Rays had a surplus of middle infielders on the roster and in the minors.

I will let you know how it is. Got the seats upper deck behind home. I am happy they have roof incase it rains. It is going to be a long day with a flight leaving STL at 8am, and then the game is 7pst so like 9 my regular time. It is my first new ballpark since I went to Toronto in 2019

Archived